[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hypothetical Question  (Read 2110 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Hypothetical Question
« on: August 30, 2022, 10:02:15 PM »
I wish I had dabbled a bit in martial arts in my prime.  Anyway, could say an 8th degree black belt in Karate, Judo, Tai-Kwando or whatever take out a heavyweight professional boxer regardless of his size or weight?  Would Bruce Lee for example really be able to introduce Tyson Fury to darkness?  I was just curious.

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Hypothetical Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 05:49:15 AM »
I wish I had dabbled a bit in martial arts in my prime.  Anyway, could say an 8th degree black belt in Karate, Judo, Tai-Kwando or whatever take out a heavyweight professional boxer regardless of his size or weight?  Would Bruce Lee for example really be able to introduce Tyson Fury to darkness?  I was just curious.

I wonder who would win in a fight, a gorilla or a shark?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 06:33:12 AM »
Go find tapes of like the first ufc/mma. That was part of the original schtick: who would win master of style X vs style Y.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 07:05:04 AM »

That's an inconceivable confrontation. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 07:51:45 AM »
Mike Ehrmentraut answered your question

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 07:57:20 AM »

I mean, so is Bruce Lee and Tyson Fury...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 08:00:22 AM »

Probably depends on if the fight occurs in salt water, fresh water, or on land.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 08:22:49 AM »
Well Bruce Lee did kick Jabbar's ass in Game of Death
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 08:27:40 AM by Spotcheck Billy »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 08:23:54 AM »

Not if my animal fighting reality show gets green lit
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 08:26:06 AM »

This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 08:26:59 AM »

Godzilla vs Kong?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 08:27:09 AM »
8th degree black belts are exceedingly rare and elderly. Longevity & knowledge are great, but not sure it’s a great measurement of skill vs another today
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 08:32:30 AM »
Godzilla vs Kong?

No, that’s fake.  Shark versus Gorilla is possible. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 08:42:35 AM »
Obviously if you look at the entire spectrum of the animal kingdom, humans aren't particularly impressive physically.  I was just throwing it out there.  Hard for me to see a little guy hurting Fury.  Although it is interesting that the most deadly animal to humans (by far) is the mosquito.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 08:43:29 AM »
Obviously if you look at the entire spectrum of the animal kingdom, humans aren't particularly impressive physically.  I was just throwing it out there.  Hard for me to see a little guy hurting Fury.  Although it is interesting that the most deadly animal to humans (by far) is the mosquito.

With hodags and agropelters not far behind

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 08:49:00 AM »
With hodags and agropelters not far behind

Lol.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 10:48:51 AM »

To the extent that you're actually serious, modern martial arts (even like UFC/MMA) are frequently bound by a serious of rules that constrain what is acceptable/allowable. The boxer can't lock someone into an armbar, the jiujitsu practitioner can't gouge someone's eyes, etc. If it's just a cage match to the death, bloodsport style, the advantage will go to the heavyweight, but be probably be negated by a black belt in judo/jiujitsu (of almost any size) who will ruin the boxer, and everyone would be subject to someone slipping a junk-shot, eye-gouge, lucky strike past a guard to keep hope/randomness alive.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »
I hate that I had to log on for the second time, since this place got insanely too toxic, to answer this but it boiled my blood even reading it.

Considerations:

1) weight classes happen for a reason, in UFC, Muay Thai, American Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, etc they all have weight classes because someone like Fury could take the head of someone like Lee.

2) rules? Are we talking a street fight? At my best at boxing if I were to get taken down I'd lose, of course I could've hit someone with about 6-8 punches before they got that close so they'd better have a solid chin. That being said a boxers balance isn't designed to take kicks (notice UFC wider stance, or wrestling has a more traditional athletic squared up stance) so when you say take out you need to establish a code of rules

3) what type of martial arts. Many martial arts leave you open to queensberry rules combinations because they lower your fists to you sides or below your chin. I have been floored by a third degree tai-kwando black belt because he landed a liver punch, but literally the entire sparring match I was tapping him in the face. He won because the placement and emphasis (and my drinking) but does he eat those punches without headgear?

Each combat sports has its specialties, people like to wet themselves saying ones "better" than the other but there's fighters in every one that could beat fighters in every one so bottom line is it would depend how specialized you were and how specialized the opposing fighter was and what the code of rules was.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 10:51:17 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 11:04:57 AM »
I hate that I had to log on for the second time, since this place got insanely too toxic, to answer this but it boiled my blood even reading it.

Considerations:

1) weight classes happen for a reason, in UFC, Muay Thai, American Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, etc they all have weight classes because someone like Fury could take the head of someone like Lee.

2) rules? Are we talking a street fight? At my best at boxing if I were to get taken down I'd lose, of course I could've hit someone with about 6-8 punches before they got that close so they'd better have a solid chin. That being said a boxers balance isn't designed to take kicks (notice UFC wider stance, or wrestling has a more traditional athletic squared up stance) so when you say take out you need to establish a code of rules

3) what type of martial arts. Many martial arts leave you open to queensberry rules combinations because they lower your fists to you sides or below your chin. I have been floored by a third degree tai-kwando black belt because he landed a liver punch, but literally the entire sparring match I was tapping him in the face. He won because the placement and emphasis (and my drinking) but does he eat those punches without headgear?

Each combat sports has its specialties, people like to wet themselves saying ones "better" than the other but there's fighters in every one that could beat fighters in every one so bottom line is it would depend how specialized you were and how specialized the opposing fighter was and what the code of rules was.

Ty for your expertise Galway Eagle. 

I wonder what a Lowland Gorilla would do to Fury?  Or a Kodiak Bear?  I once saw on one of those NatGeo shows some dude in a cage dropped in the middle of the arctic in order to "observe" polar bears.  Let's just say that "impenetrable" cage didn't lessen the fear of this poor guy.  The strength of a Polar Bear is beyond awesome.  :)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 11:09:50 AM »
Ty for your expertise Galway Eagle. 

I wonder what a Lowland Gorilla would do to Fury?  Or a Kodiak Bear?  I once saw on one of those NatGeo shows some dude in a cage dropped in the middle of the arctic in order to "observe" polar bears.  Let's just say that "impenetrable" cage didn't lessen the fear of this poor guy.  The strength of a Polar Bear is beyond awesome.  :)

You wonder what a 8 foot tall 1000lb bear would do to a boxer?  Or a gorilla that can lift 2000 lbs?  What do you put in your coffee in the morning that conjures this inanity?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 11:12:24 AM »
You wonder what a 8 foot tall 1000lb bear would do to a boxer?  Or a gorilla that can lift 2000 lbs?  What do you put in your coffee in the morning that conjures this inanity?

Remember that whole thing that was "percent of respondents who thought they could win in a fight vs [X Animal]" that was going around a year or two ago? This has strong random bro vibes thinking he could fight an ostritch.

Also, obligatory xkcd:

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2022, 11:18:14 AM »

I generally drink my 100% Pure Kona Peaberry Coffee  black.  It was just a question JWags.  I assume Fury would lose his confidence rather quickly in these potential scenarios.  :)

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »
Remember that whole thing that was "percent of respondents who thought they could win in a fight vs [X Animal]" that was going around a year or two ago? This has strong random bro vibes thinking he could fight an ostritch.

Also, obligatory xkcd:

I bet my dad could beat up an ostrich

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »
I feel like Muggsy would open Jurassic Park and just open the cages and enjoy the show.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 11:58:24 AM »

Uh what?  Humans are the most dangerous and prolific predators on the entire planet.  Our brains have enabled us to control literally every other species.  We are can eat almost anything that lives on the planet.  We used persistence hunting to track and chase down any animal until they are too exhausted to continue, and then we just kill it.

feedback