[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85281 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1875 on: December 06, 2023, 02:28:41 PM »

This is definitely not correct.
We're now in year 10 of the CFP. In those 10 years, 16 of 17 undefeated P5 teams - and P5 teams make up the majority - received a playoff bid. And the one that didn't was the result of rare extenuating circumstances. If FSU's QB is healthy, it would be 17 of 17.
So, contrary to "the majority that could go undefeated and not make the playoffs," history says going undefeated for a majority of teams has led to a playoff bid 94% of the time. Just don't let your QB get injured.

Also, this tangent got rolling when I suggested that for some, the playoffs-or-nothing mentality has sucked joy out of the game. Now you're telling us that if you enjoy the game without making the playoffs, you're a rube?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1876 on: December 06, 2023, 02:45:39 PM »
And that's where we disagree.  I think they are rubes for assigning enough value to a meaningless exhibition game that it doesn't bother them that in any given season it is literally impossible for most of their chosen teams to make the playoffs. And I'll be honest,
i think a good percentage of them have deluded themselves into thinking that they're team isn't one of the majority that could go undefeated and not make the playoffs. But that's just my opinion, it's not a fact. People can assign value to whatever they like and others can think they're rubes for it.

I mean, maybe they just like to watch their team play?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1877 on: December 06, 2023, 04:14:02 PM »
I mean, maybe they just like to watch their team play?

Of course this is the only right answer.

Football Saturdays (or any day with a bowl game) are party time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1878 on: December 06, 2023, 11:55:08 PM »
Also, this tangent got rolling when I suggested that for some, the playoffs-or-nothing mentality has sucked joy out of the game. Now you're telling us that if you enjoy the game without making the playoffs, you're a rube?

The majority of division one, not the majority of P5.

Never said anything of the sort. You can enjoy the game without making the playoffs. But enjoying a sport where it's predetermined at the start of the season that your team can't make the playoffs? I personally think you're a rube.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1879 on: December 07, 2023, 04:54:28 PM »
#1 OL recruit Jordan Seaton, top 15 player overall, commits to Colorado over Bama, UF, and OSU.  Don’t call it a comeback for Deion at a position of huge need.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1880 on: December 08, 2023, 08:11:58 AM »
#1 OL recruit Jordan Seaton, top 15 player overall, commits to Colorado over Bama, UF, and OSU.  Don’t call it a comeback for Deion at a position of huge need.

I don't know what "don't call it a comeback" means, but good on Deion. I don't follow Colorado football except for the snippets that I read, and I had read that he had been seeing some recruits de-commit and losing out on others. So this is a positive sign.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: December 08, 2023, 11:22:23 AM »
I don't know what "don't call it a comeback" means, but good on Deion. I don't follow Colorado football except for the snippets that I read, and I had read that he had been seeing some recruits de-commit and losing out on others. So this is a positive sign.

Basically means it’s not a comeback cause they were never gone, similar to “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”.

And it hadn’t been a good month or so, but again it seemed like people were eager and quick to deem the Deion/CU experiment a failure based on a few player movements, which is even less significant in this current era

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: December 08, 2023, 12:31:51 PM »
Basically means it’s not a comeback cause they were never gone, similar to “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”.

And it hadn’t been a good month or so, but again it seemed like people were eager and quick to deem the Deion/CU experiment a failure based on a few player movements, which is even less significant in this current era

Ah, OK.

Well, they were never gone ... but aside from September, they weren't really "here," either.

I give Deion a ton of credit for resuscitating a dead program, but it's even harder to build on a start and keep it going and contend for championships.

I am absolutely not calling it a failure, but I also think it's far too early to call it a "success" - at least the way success is usually measured in the sport, by bowl appearances and conference titles and the like.

Colorado football was deep in the toilet, and he brought it into the light. A very good first step. Now he's in the "we'll see" stage IMHO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: December 15, 2023, 08:40:47 AM »
Neat story about a QB that most (if not all) of us have never heard of ...

(From Yahoo Sports)

Chances are, you've never heard of John Matocha, quarterback for Colorado School of Mines and the NCAA’s all-time touchdown leader. On the eve of the D-II national championship, it's about time you met him, Jeff writes.

A legendary career: The computer science grad student has accounted for an NCAA-record 190 TDs (161 passing, 28 rushing, 1 receiving) at the academically rigorous school outside Denver, where he's gone 50-6 in four years as the starter.

He broke the record last month, passing Houston's Case Keenum (2007-11) and Blaine Hawkins of D-III Central College (2017-21), who were tied with 178.

The reigning Harlon Hill Trophy winner (D-II Heisman) has led the Orediggers (14-0) to their second straight title game and is a finalist once again for this year's award, which will be announced today.

Who is John Matocha? The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Texas native erupted for 3,441 yards and 53 TDs as a high school senior. But his only scholarship offer — and a partial one at that — came from Mines, which he chose despite receiving a few walk-on invitations from Group of 5 schools.

Matocha built computers as a kid and was drawn to Mines for its STEM-focused curriculum. His 3.65 GPA and newly-minted honor as the conference's academic player of the year suggests he's made the most of his studies.

Academics are so important at Colorado School of Mines that players display their major on the back of their helmet. "Studying together, learning together, that bond really carries on throughout the experiences at Mines," Matocha told The Montgomery County Courier.

Saturday's matchup: Mines takes on Harding (Arkansas) tomorrow (1pm ET, ESPNU) in a game that certainly appears to be pitting the two best teams against each other. Mines has the nation's No. 2 offense and No. 3 defense, while Harding has the No. 2 defense and No. 3 offense.

What's next: Matocha has a job lined up as a software engineer but isn't ready to give up on football quite yet. "I've talked to a couple teams and I think I might have a chance to put myself out there," he told WSJ. "I'll work my butt off to try and make it a reality."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1884 on: December 16, 2023, 08:08:18 AM »
Academics are so important at Colorado School of Mines that players display their major on the back of their helmet.

🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: December 16, 2023, 09:41:51 AM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1886 on: December 16, 2023, 06:09:46 PM »
FCS Semifinal ND State at Montana . Loud crowd in Missoula.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1887 on: December 16, 2023, 06:47:28 PM »
Exciting ending , The Griz win in over time over The Bison and are heading to Frisco , TX to face The Jack Rabbits for The FCS Championship
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1889 on: December 21, 2023, 09:41:23 PM »
I don't have an opinion on it good or bad, but man is it weird to see Kyle McCord on the sidelines watching Syracuse lose the Boca Raton bowl by 38 less than a month after QB-ing OSU to a 6 point loss to Michigan.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1890 on: December 22, 2023, 11:47:36 AM »
This.
This will be remembered as the death knell of the ACC.

Anyone with a room temperature  IQ now knows the ACC will actually prevent you from winning a NC.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving conference.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39167937/florida-state-sue-acc-grant-rights-withdrawal-fee

Pakuni

• All American

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1892 on: December 22, 2023, 12:02:27 PM »
Who wants Florida State?
Big 12?

Big Ten or SEC will take them.  They want the Big Ten
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1893 on: December 22, 2023, 12:08:32 PM »
Big Ten or SEC will take them.  They want the Big Ten

Im not sure the SEC wants them. Dan Wetzel reported this week that more SEC programs oppose adding FSU than are in favor of adding them.
I believe Big 10 would much rather pick at what's left of the ACC's carcass to nab Virginia and UNC than have anything to do with FSU.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1894 on: December 22, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
Im not sure the SEC wants them. Dan Wetzel reported this week that more SEC programs oppose adding FSU than are in favor of adding them.
I believe Big 10 would much rather pick at what's left of the ACC's carcass to nab Virginia and UNC than have anything to do with FSU.

We’ll see, I suppose.  SEC doesn’t need to add just to add, imo.  Big Ten will do whatever TV tells them to

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1895 on: December 22, 2023, 02:29:39 PM »
We’ll see, I suppose.  SEC doesn’t need to add just to add, imo.  Big Ten will do whatever TV tells them to
Yes, the Big10 will do the commissioner, FOX, wants.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 10:41:48 AM by WhiteTrash »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1897 on: December 23, 2023, 07:47:05 PM »
Smart to opt out of exhibitions in anticipation of pro careers.

If they had decided to play, that would be cool, too. The decision is theirs, as it should be.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1898 on: December 23, 2023, 08:10:47 PM »
Smart to opt out of exhibitions in anticipation of pro careers.

If they had decided to play, that would be cool, too. The decision is theirs, as it should be.

Okay?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers