[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 30 Years of Marquette University Physical Campus Changes  (Read 3676 times)

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
30 Years of Marquette University Physical Campus Changes
« on: August 02, 2022, 10:43:13 AM »
Mykl Novak, a Marquette employee who also runs the postmarq Tumblr, had a post with a map showing the campus changes over the 30 years he has been there.

An interesting read.

https://postmarq.tumblr.com/post/691431978369794048/marquette-university-campus-changes

lawdog77

• All American
Re: 30 Years of Marquette University Physical Campus Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 10:57:40 AM »
Quite the changes. I would like to see (actually it would sadden me) one of these in re: bars.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 06:54:37 PM »
Google Earth would have the satellite image changes of the Marquette campus from 1985 to present.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:01:37 PM »
Google Earth would have the satellite image changes of the Marquette campus from 1985 to present.

One of my favorite sites is https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer  Depending on the area, it can have aerials 60-70 years back.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 12:12:02 AM »
And yet through all of this, the eyesore that is  Lalumiere Hall remains.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 08:17:22 AM »

It's a unique building built during a time where MU wasn't committed to a single look.  Some would say it's ugly but I like to think of it like our basketball program...our biggest tradition is we have no tradition. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 08:21:54 AM »
I still cannot get over how ugly the Business School is.  I was told early on to brace myself for something hideou bc 10-15 million was slashed from the budget and it affected design more than anything.  Wow was that right, it is just plain brutal and does nothing to enhance one end of campus that should act as a welcome sign for east bound traffic.

To think it took the place of a shiney new rec center that would have been endless windows of state of the art wellness is really sad.  Not to mention the missed opportunity of connecting our Union with our rec center.  You only get some many hanging curves, you can't swing & miss like this. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 08:32:19 AM »
I still cannot get over how ugly the Business School is.  I was told early on to brace myself for something hideou bc 10-15 million was slashed from the budget and it affected design more than anything.  Wow was that right, it is just plain brutal and does nothing to enhance one end of campus that should act as a welcome sign for east bound traffic.

To think it took the place of a shiney new rec center that would have been endless windows of state of the art wellness is really sad.  Not to mention the missed opportunity of connecting our Union with our rec center.  You only get some many hanging curves, you can't swing & miss like this. 

Yeah, I am a little shocked by how bland it is.  Maybe they didn't want so much glass facing the south, but I would have thought they would have made that a little more impressive.

https://www.marquette.edu/future-of-business/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 08:32:45 AM »

Missing the hanging curve would have been turning down the many millions of dollars donated that came with selecting that spot.

You're not wrong that the rec center would be better placed there but when you write that big  of a check you get to make certain demands
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 08:34:32 AM »

Humanities and social sciences buildings are easy to maintain (just offices and classrooms), but difficult to replace (lack of donor interest, not much enrollment upside).  It's that way on a lot of college campuses.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 08:36:46 AM »
Missing the hanging curve would have been turning down the many millions of dollars donated that came with selecting that spot.

You're not wrong that the rec center would be better placed there but when you write that big  of a check you get to make certain demands

I get what you're saying but to me the hanging curve was the vacant land in a primetime spot.  MU has done a lot of greats thing recently, moving the Jes Res has done wonders for the mall between AMU & Schroeder, the mall between Cobeen & Tower is great too as is the general beautification of Wisconsin Ave.  But this is really bad.  If they just copied Zilber Hall they would have been much better.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 08:42:46 AM by The Lens »

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 08:36:58 AM »

Well...I'll just say there is a little more to the story than that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 08:57:29 AM »
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of the buildings this guy says should be torn down IMO are not so bad and some of the buildings he say are great just might look hideous to some architect 60 years from now.

https://theeaglefreepress.com/?p=1750

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 09:12:42 AM »

Best building on campus! Decades ago, I sat across from a very attractive tall woman who four years later would become Ms. Dgies.

42 years later, she's still Ms. Dgies!

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 09:23:28 AM »

+1.  It looks like some horribly out-of-date building from the 1970's...but I also think Lalumiere is really cool, so what do I know.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 09:59:36 AM »
Best building on campus! Decades ago, I sat across from a very attractive tall woman who four years later would become Ms. Dgies.

Loved reading this dgies! One of my brothers met his wife at Marquette. Being the first member of my family to know her well created a close relationship that is still there today. I remember my father asking me about her since my parents knew very little about her at first.

For quite a while, it looked like my Marquette girlfriend would become Mrs. Scoop, but it simply was not meant to be.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 10:47:10 AM »
You guys complain too much. You should have see the campus in '65. The new Business building looks fine to me. Lalumiere Hall is so late 60s architecture it is iconic of the time, no different than Johnston or Marquette Hall (the old Science Building when I attended) was in their day and I can remember the bells sitting on the sidewalk when they were installing the carillon in the tower of Marquette hall. I can remember Joan of Arc chapel, Weir Chemistry and Lalumiere Hall being built.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 10:55:10 AM »
You guys complain too much. You should have see the campus in '65. The new Business building looks fine to me. Lalumiere Hall is so late 60s architecture it is iconic of the time, no different than Johnston or Marquette Hall (the old Science Building when I attended) was in their day and I can remember the bells sitting on the sidewalk when they were installing the carillon in the tower of Marquette hall. I can remember Joan of Arc chapel, Weir Chemistry and Lalumiere Hall being built.

People complaining on scoop?  What world is this?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 11:48:56 AM »
Dgies

Great stuff. One of my first encounters with Mrs. Goose at The Gym Bar 39 years ago and now been together for 37 years. 1981 seems like it was yesterday to me, but sadly it was 39 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:18:19 PM by Goose »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 01:11:26 PM »
The Beehive is actually still a very functional building on the inside.  MU could do some facade work to modernize its appearance.

The Business building is about as bland as it gets, especially for that spot.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 01:26:40 PM »
LaLumiere needs something like this?  (But not the conversion to a hotel part.)

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/New-Haven-s-Pirelli-Building-transformed-to-17171927.php

New Haven’s Pirelli Building transformed to Hotel Marcel
Mark Zaretsky
May 15, 2022
Updated: May 16, 2022 1:12 p.m.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06/30/lifestyle/new-havens-hotel-marcel-is-brutalist-beauty-net-zero-its-gentle-one-too/

New Haven’s Hotel Marcel is a Brutalist beauty — and at ‘net zero,’ it’s a gentle one, too
By James Sullivan Globe correspondent,Updated June 30, 2022, 11:40 a.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/marcel-breuers-pirelli-building-becomes-hotel-in-new-haven/

Marcel Breuer’s Brutalist Pirelli Building becomes luxe hotel in New Haven
By Linda Laban
May 24, 2022 10:57am  Updated

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/15667-a-marcel-breuer-classic-is-reimagined-as-a-net-zeroenergy-hotel

A Marcel Breuer Classic, Reimagined
In New Haven, a Breuer-designed corporate headquarters finds new life as a net zero–energy hotel
May 23, 2022
Izzy Kornblatt

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
The Beehive is actually still a very functional building on the inside.  MU could do some facade work to modernize its appearance.

The Business building is about as bland as it gets, especially for that spot.

So they should have kept McCormick?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2022, 03:06:30 PM »

One of my first encounters with Mrs. Goose at The Gym Bar 39 years ago and now been together for 37 years. 1981 seems like it was yesterday to me, but sadly it was 39 years ago.

I met my wife in 1988 at the corner of 16th and Wells where The Annex is now.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2022, 03:43:58 PM »
I met my wife in 1988 at the corner of 16th and Wells where The Annex is now.

I met my wife at Hoops
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2022, 03:46:51 PM »

Yeah, I am a little shocked by how bland it is.  Maybe they didn't want so much glass facing the south, but I would have thought they would have made that a little more impressive.

https://www.marquette.edu/future-of-business/

Dear God, that building is hideous.  Didn't we just tear down a bunch of asbestos ridden uggos like this?

feedback