[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 30 Years of Marquette University Physical Campus Changes  (Read 3710 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 30 Years of Marquette University Physical Campus Changes
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2022, 03:50:24 PM »
Dear God, that building is hideous.  Didn't we just tear down a bunch of asbestos ridden uggos like this?

I actually wonder if they are doing a disservice showing it from this angle.  My guess is that the main entrance is supposed to face AMU. Perhaps they should have placed the camera there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2022, 03:59:57 PM »
I actually wonder if they are doing a disservice showing it from this angle.  My guess is that the main entrance is supposed to face AMU. Perhaps they should have placed the camera there.

Okay, but the portion that faces 16th and especially Wisconsin ave is damn near a war crime in modern design.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2022, 04:08:20 PM »
Okay, but the portion that faces 16th and especially Wisconsin ave is damn near a war crime in modern design.

So, don't take this the wrong way, but why? I don't know anything about modern design, so what stands out as particularly negative here?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2022, 04:32:19 PM »
So, don't take this the wrong way, but why? I don't know anything about modern design, so what stands out as particularly negative here?

The bricked facade screams 60s.  Thin windows, first floor overhang, and cement window covers. 

It's brutalist style with a modern twist and it doesn't 'work'.  That hunk of property is probably the most traveled spot on campus and this was the decision.  What a belly flop.

If you scroll down on the main page, you can see what the backside of the building that faces the lawn looks like, and it doesn't seem much better.

It looks like there was a design in mind that, at one point, might attempt echo the Calatrava on the lakefront... the use of the white metal and windows.  And that would have been beautiful... Though, I'm not a fan of rectangles.  Instead they seemingly plopped a couple of shipping containers made of brick on top.  And that thing will sit there for decades as a giant eyesore.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2022, 04:48:30 PM »
Roger. I find architecture to be a lot like sportscasters. On the extreme edges of the distribution I notice, but otherwise it just kinda blends in. Give me Ueck in his prime riffing on stealing tubas from marching bands during the World Series, and I get something out of the call. Give me the average C Fox squad for an NFL game and I don't even notice them at all. Give me some dumpster fire like Dakitch and it detracts from the game.

Most buildings are just... buildings to me. This one seems broadly whatever, fine I suppose? I like glass, I like brick, seems fine. I thought Eckstein was good, I like the Calatrava, but this side of hating Lalumire, I tend not be get too excited by buildings one way or the other, I guess.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2022, 05:01:52 PM »
Not sure I know what the business school was going for. Todays style is glass curtain wall construction, perhaps with white framing to honor the Caltravva or the 1st Wisconsin Center. None of that is evident in the B School.

Looks like someone was trying to blend in and got nowhere.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2022, 05:05:05 PM »
Roger. I find architecture to be a lot like sportscasters. On the extreme edges of the distribution I notice, but otherwise it just kinda blends in. Give me Ueck in his prime riffing on stealing tubas from marching bands during the World Series, and I get something out of the call. Give me the average C Fox squad for an NFL game and I don't even notice them at all. Give me some dumpster fire like Dakitch and it detracts from the game.

Most buildings are just... buildings to me. This one seems broadly whatever, fine I suppose? I like glass, I like brick, seems fine. I thought Eckstein was good, I like the Calatrava, but this side of hating Lalumire, I tend not be get too excited by buildings one way or the other, I guess.

Personally, I think it's a shame to be spending $60 mil on this.

I don't care for Lalumiere, it's a sore thumb. 

Eckstein Hall is damn good.  It matches many of the other buildings that were built of that time, and the North East corner has those neat little arches in the windows that should remind you of the stained glass windows or the front doors of Gesu.  The little details are great.

The Calatrava is a world class building and there is a reason MKE includes it in every bit of marketing it can.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »
Also, the business school looks worse in person*.

* it is not done yet but it's really just landscaping at this point.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2022, 06:39:56 PM »
The bricked facade screams 60s. Thin windows, first floor overhang, and cement window covers. 

It's brutalist style with a modern twist and it doesn't 'work'.  That hunk of property is probably the most traveled spot on campus and this was the decision.  What a belly flop.

If you scroll down on the main page, you can see what the backside of the building that faces the lawn looks like, and it doesn't seem much better.

It looks like there was a design in mind that, at one point, might attempt echo the Calatrava on the lakefront... the use of the white metal and windows.  And that would have been beautiful... Though, I'm not a fan of rectangles.  Instead they seemingly plopped a couple of shipping containers made of brick on top.  And that thing will sit there for decades as a giant eyesore.

I guess the buildings at the Wharton School of business scream 60s as well. It's what taught inside that counts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wharton+business+school&tbm=isch&chips=q:wharton+business+school,g_1:campus:8hYufmrdmtY%3D&usg=AI4_-kRz-DHxPnw_kxFTW-gaO5oQTOhXCA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwia48ug6Kv5AhVxhYkEHWRVAwcQgIoDKAB6BAgqEAk&biw=2152&bih=1162&dpr=1#imgrc=qZQndX0Y3JYubM

As for the Calatrava its nice, but seems so sterile on the inside; too white for me. Also it looks like a schooner that went aground. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 06:48:09 PM by muwarrior69 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »
I still cannot get over how ugly the Business School is.  I was told early on to brace myself for something hideou bc 10-15 million was slashed from the budget and it affected design more than anything.  Wow was that right, it is just plain brutal and does nothing to enhance one end of campus that should act as a welcome sign for east bound traffic.

To think it took the place of a shiney new rec center that would have been endless windows of state of the art wellness is really sad.  Not to mention the missed opportunity of connecting our Union with our rec center.  You only get some many hanging curves, you can't swing & miss like this.

Spot on DC, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2022, 06:54:10 PM »
I still cannot get over how ugly the Business School is.  I was told early on to brace myself for something hideou bc 10-15 million was slashed from the budget and it affected design more than anything.  Wow was that right, it is just plain brutal and does nothing to enhance one end of campus that should act as a welcome sign for east bound traffic.

To think it took the place of a shiney new rec center that would have been endless windows of state of the art wellness is really sad.  Not to mention the missed opportunity of connecting our Union with our rec center.  You only get some many hanging curves, you can't swing & miss like this.

We are Marquette University, not Marquette Health and Wellness LLC.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2022, 07:50:16 PM »
Dgies

Great stuff. One of my first encounters with Mrs. Goose at The Gym Bar 39 years ago and now been together for 37 years. 1981 seems like it was yesterday to me, but sadly it was 39 years ago.

Check your math my friend. 
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2022, 07:51:11 PM »
Sir

You have known me longer than that, surprised I was two years off?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2022, 07:51:36 PM »
Check your math my friend.

Last two years don’t count… #pandemic

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2022, 07:54:19 PM »
Frenns

I wish that was my thinking when I posted 39 years, it would have been a good cover.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2022, 07:55:37 PM »
Last two years don’t count… #pandemic

Red shirt freshman

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2022, 07:56:56 PM »
Dr. B

I was a redshirt freshman five years. Chris O’Toule had a shorter career than I had at MU.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 12:38:36 AM by Goose »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2022, 08:09:54 PM »
The bricked facade screams 60s.  Thin windows, first floor overhang, and cement window covers. 

Looking at the picture, the guy in the lower right looks to be doing us all a favor of looking at the building by dropping off his homemade bomb in a backpack

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2022, 08:31:57 PM »
Dr. B

I was a redshirt freshman five years. Chris O’Toule had a shorter career compared to me.

Aren't we all (in the same boat)?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 08:37:23 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2022, 08:33:13 PM »
I met my wife in 1988 at the corner of 16th and Wells where The Annex is now.
Fall of 1989 I was introduced to my future wife in the elevator of Schroeder heading to a weekend breakfast at Cobeen.  We were being set up for an SYR to Comedy Sportz.  Just celebrated our 28th anniversary a few weeks ago.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2022, 11:56:32 PM »
Lalumiere has a special place in my heart.  It's the first MU classroom building I ever entered, and where a very hungover version of myself tanked the German AP exam during freshman orientation.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2022, 06:19:32 AM »
I guess the buildings at the Wharton School of business scream 60s as well. It's what taught inside that counts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wharton+business+school&tbm=isch&chips=q:wharton+business+school,g_1:campus:8hYufmrdmtY%3D&usg=AI4_-kRz-DHxPnw_kxFTW-gaO5oQTOhXCA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwia48ug6Kv5AhVxhYkEHWRVAwcQgIoDKAB6BAgqEAk&biw=2152&bih=1162&dpr=1#imgrc=qZQndX0Y3JYubM

As for the Calatrava its nice, but seems so sterile on the inside; too white for me. Also it looks like a schooner that went aground. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Of course what it taught inside is what matters, but you're implying we have to have one or the other.  Why not both?

I'm not sure which Wharton building you were trying to present, but the ones that I have seen don't look like what we have in construction.

And yes, whatever floats your boat, and all art is subjective... but you are in a distinct minority of people who don't seem to like the Calatrava.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2022, 06:27:17 AM »
We are Marquette University, not Marquette Health and Wellness LLC.

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Ask students what they want and a health and wellness center would be near the top of the list.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Ask students what they want and a health and wellness center would be near the top of the list.

Exactly and a Health + Wellness Center can look a lot more dynamic than an all brick "front" hiding a bunch of classrooms. 

I've brought up the Kentucky example before.  It's connected to their Union and from the streets you see 2 story tall windows showing off endless activity including a huge jumbo tron inside where TV is displayed.  It looks active, dynamic and inviting.    Much more of a student hub than one single college. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0409988,-84.5033612,3a,90y,200.4h,92.09t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sCTu8uh5OFnRVm3Ufzz0fog!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DCTu8uh5OFnRVm3Ufzz0fog%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D51.343964%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Also I apologize for the ridiculous google map paste.  I know how to screen grab a google map image but I still can't figure out how to insert a pic into scoop.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 11:40:32 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2022, 11:53:03 AM »
Would there be much value in it being connected to MU’s Union? At least when I was there, it wasn’t much of a destination and was used to get out of the cold on the walk back to my apartment more than anything.

Interesting to hear the design budget was significantly reduced due to fundraising. I know there was a bit of a reputation of Lovell announcing plans a little early and having to walk things back when the money wouldn’t come. I thought with recent announcements, that wasn’t as much of an issue.