[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 US Open Thread  (Read 11377 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: 2022 US Open Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2022, 07:30:59 PM »
Who wants a soft US Open?

Hoo wants a soft anythin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2022, 08:37:16 PM »
So 23 players under par and +3 cut . Lots of players should be in the mix .

Solid leaderboard . I was thinking Rory and Morikowa would do well, but then again I am big fan of both so that was also wishful thinking .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2022, 08:37:33 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2022, 07:00:10 AM »
Who ya got?  The wind will be more of a factor today.  I'll be rooting for Morikawa and Rory.  A bit concerned though about Rahm. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2022, 07:29:05 AM »
I'll be rooting for Joel Dahman.  I guess he is one of the most popular guys on tour and anybody that beats testicular cancer is worth cheering for. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2022, 07:37:58 AM »
I'll be rooting for Joel Dahman.  I guess he is one of the most popular guys on tour and anybody that beats testicular cancer is worth cheering for.

Good point. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2022, 07:51:17 AM »
Dahmen would be a great story.
Rory ending an 8 year Major drought while giving LIV golf the finger would be a great story.
Morikawa getting the third leg of the career grand slam would be a great story.

The USGA with a course set up that nobody is complaining about is a great story.

Keegan winning in New England would be a great story.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2022, 08:06:49 AM »
Team Rory
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2022, 08:10:48 AM »
Saudi golfers finished LIII over par, courtesy of Kyle Porter of CBS.

Figjam had a nifty 78

11 of the 15 LIV guys missed the cut, and the 4 who made it are not exactly in contention: DJ Reed are +1 and DeChambeau and Bland are +2. Hey, it's a process!

Really excited for Nick Hardy. He grew up across the street from us and is a really solid young man. This is his first year on the big tour and he’s been hampered by injuries - but he’s 3 under through 36 at the US freakin’ Open! Go Nick!!

That's a great story, Lenny. We're at a large family gathering and I haven't been able to watch the Open yet, but I've already said that part of my Father's Day present will be getting to watch most of the final round. I hope your guy is still in contention!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2022, 08:50:23 AM »
Rory and Morikowa are my favorites . Dahmen is such an interesting guy it would be fun if he could hang in there today.

If the wind kicks up maybe JT can get back in the mix
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »
Rory and Morikowa are my favorites . Dahmen is such an interesting guy it would be fun if he could hang in there today.

If the wind kicks up maybe JT can get back in the mix

I don’t think he’s out of it by any stretch of the imagination.  I pegged the winning score to be around -5, so 6 back isn’t crazy.  There is enough firepower ahead of him for someone to get on a heater and open it up, however.  Been since ‘08 they’ve had a playoff.  We’re due
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »
I caught only a small part of the interview but Craig Stadler said something that might not be a bad idea.  He thinks the PGA tour could and should add a 5th major.  He suggested the Tour Championship.  The LPGA has 5 majors and I think the Champions tour does as well.  I'm just curious how this would impact guys bolting for the Saudi league, it may give them second thoughts.  Stadler also said that he loves the PGA Championship in May because when it was in August it was a "huge disadvantage to heavy players".  :)  He said he'd rather have a major in Michigan in December.  :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2022, 09:32:19 AM »
The May PGA effectively eliminates the upper Midwest.   Hazeltine, Whistling Straits, Oakland Hills... courses just aren't going to be ready.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
I caught only a small part of the interview but Craig Stadler said something that might not be a bad idea.  He thinks the PGA tour could and should add a 5th major.  He suggested the Tour Championship.  The LPGA has 5 majors and I think the Champions tour does as well.  I'm just curious how this would impact guys bolting for the Saudi league, it may give them second thoughts.  Stadler also said that he loves the PGA Championship in May because when it was in August it was a "huge disadvantage to heavy players".  :)  He said he'd rather have a major in Michigan in December.  :)

Haven’t they tried stuff similar in the past? Like the World Golf Championships? You can’t just simply label something a major and expect the public to follow along.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2022, 09:40:17 AM »
The May PGA effectively eliminates the upper Midwest.   Hazeltine, Whistling Straits, Oakland Hills... courses just aren't going to be ready.
Next year PGA at Oak Hills in Rochester NY  upstate so they are figuring out how to play it in these climates
                       ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2022, 09:42:22 AM »
Haven’t they tried stuff similar in the past? Like the World Golf Championships? You can’t just simply label something a major and expect the public to follow along.

I think they’ve tried to make the FedEx Playoffs like that. Even making large dollar amounts for the champion. I think it still pales in comparison to what the LIV guys are making.

The only way I see them regretting their decision is if they get banned from all non-LIV events. Even then, I’m not sure they are going to regret it that much.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2022, 09:43:21 AM »
Next year PGA at Oak Hills in Rochester NY  upstate so they are figuring out how to play it in these climates

That was scheduled before the move from august. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2022, 09:47:15 AM »

That's a fair point. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2022, 09:48:14 AM »
A late, wet spring would make that a hoot.  I will play in 45 degrees and wet, but I am an outlier.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2022, 09:51:35 AM »
I don't know if they could pull off a major but I'd really like to see the Canadian Open at Cabot Cliffs. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »
I think they’ve tried to make the FedEx Playoffs like that. Even making large dollar amounts for the champion. I think it still pales in comparison to what the LIV guys are making.

The only way I see them regretting their decision is if they get banned from all non-LIV events. Even then, I’m not sure they are going to regret it that much.

Yeah I mean the FedEx Playoffs is just golf's attempt to get people to watch a little bit more after the NFL kicks off.  You can try new things, but unless the public really cares and tunes in, that doesn't mean something magically becomes a major.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2022, 10:47:07 AM »
I don't know if they could pull off a major but I'd really like to see the Canadian Open at Cabot Cliffs.

Those properties don’t want to host events like that.  They’ll do amateurs but not a PGA event or major

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »
Will anyone shoot better than E today? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
Someone or other has talked about making the Tour Championship a major for years. But as others have said, simply declaring something to be a "major" probably isn't gonna fly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nyg

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2022, 12:41:03 PM »
Will anyone shoot better than E today?

Like I told you two days ago, the USGA sets it up harder each day.  That pin on #3 is ridiculous.

The wind gusting to 25mph and they probably didn't water greens that much, so even would be a good score.

feedback