[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws  (Read 23711 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: In response to U.S. gun carnage, Canada to enact tough laws
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2022, 06:09:03 PM »
The irony for me is that the majority of gun legislation, aside from outlawing AR-15s or whatnot, would not prevent them from having their Lord of War arsenal, just make it SLIGHTLY more time consuming to compile.

Yes, though I would surmise that those willing to jump through all the hoops--training, licensing, insurance, registration, proof of safe storage, etc., are far more likely to actually be responsible gun owners.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2022, 06:30:53 PM »
Oh good, another apostle of the Church of Ziggy Logic. We shouldn't have laws because criminals don't care about laws! So brilliant.

You're right: there is absolutely nothing we can do, as evidenced by every single other western country.

🐷🐷

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2022, 06:49:09 PM »
No, clearly all is not fine.  I'm saying that all this talk about more restrictions likely won't do much to stop the mayhem with most of the gun-owning Americans who are killing people.  They ignore the laws.  They will ignore any new laws.  Whatever new gun control measures are considered need to focus on those who are committing the crimes, and that is going to be really hard to do.

Honestly replace grenade for AR-15. Do you honestly believe that we should remove restrictions to obtaining those items because restrictions don’t work.

It’s an ease of access issue.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2022, 07:06:30 PM »
Yes, though I would surmise that those willing to jump through all the hoops--training, licensing, insurance, registration, proof of safe storage, etc., are far more likely to actually be responsible gun owners.

Yea, listen, I'm not pro-gun, don't own and probably never will.  But I can't help but think that some of the stuff Ive of the misdirected anger/frustration Ive seen lately isn't the right tact. 

Posting pictures of people posing with their arsenals like "look at these idiots" or showing gun owners, who may have a bunch of guns, but have no criminal charges, have never been cited for misuse of weapons, etc... like "THESE PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM" isn't the angle, IMO.

We can all agree that we're never getting rid of guns across the board.  We can agree that any progress is difficult, so maybe the angle of "you guys have absolutely nothing to worry about with common sense gun legislation, you're responsible" instead of "your hobby kills children" is a better path to a changed collective mindset.

Slippery slope mindset may be a fallacy, but if there is any way to circumvent the preponderance of it, i cant help but hope it could be useful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2022, 07:42:29 PM »
opioids caused 17 deaths per 100,000 in canada, but what the...just legalize em

guns caused ?(too many) deaths, but what the...make them illegal
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2022, 07:45:48 PM »
NM. I meant to say I blame Arbys and mental health. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:48:56 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2022, 07:45:51 PM »
opioids caused 17 deaths per 100,000 in canada, but what the...just legalize em

guns caused ?(too many) deaths, but what the...make them illegal

They did not make guns illegal in Canada. Nor are most suggesting that here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2022, 07:46:04 PM »
Mr. medical professional seems to think Opioids are illegal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2022, 07:50:53 PM »

I mean fentynal and heroin are, and thats what is being floated for decriminalization up north

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2022, 07:51:50 PM »
Fentanyl is a commonly used drug in medical procedures.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2022, 07:52:45 PM »

We sell ‘em like candy in this country.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2022, 07:56:19 PM »
Perhaps he’s implying that something with so much potential for misuse shouldn’t be so easy to get or distribute.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2022, 08:01:51 PM »

He also apparently doesn't know the difference between legalization and decriminalization

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2022, 08:04:31 PM »
Another day. Another mass shooting.

Ho Hum in America.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2022, 08:23:43 PM »
Another day. Another mass shooting.

Ho Hum in America.
How about the mass shootings in Chicago over the weekend that killed way more people? Why don’t these get as much attention?
All Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2022, 08:30:40 PM »
How about the mass shootings in Chicago over the weekend that killed way more people? Why don’t these get as much attention?

It’s all over the news. Sorry you missed it. Perhaps you should pay attention instead of spending so much time building strawmen.

And last I checked, Chicago was in America so I think it is inclusive of Jockey’s statement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »
It’s all over the news. Sorry you missed it. Perhaps you should pay attention instead of spending so much time building strawmen.

And last I checked, Chicago was in America so I think it is inclusive of Jockey’s statement.
Ok, why do certain “mass” shootings get more attention?
All Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2022, 08:35:44 PM »

Why does it matter? Lots of Americans are dying because of easy access to guns and we aren’t doing anything about it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
Yea, listen, I'm not pro-gun, don't own and probably never will.  But I can't help but think that some of the stuff Ive of the misdirected anger/frustration Ive seen lately isn't the right tact. 

Posting pictures of people posing with their arsenals like "look at these idiots" or showing gun owners, who may have a bunch of guns, but have no criminal charges, have never been cited for misuse of weapons, etc... like "THESE PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM" isn't the angle, IMO.

We can all agree that we're never getting rid of guns across the board.  We can agree that any progress is difficult, so maybe the angle of "you guys have absolutely nothing to worry about with common sense gun legislation, you're responsible" instead of "your hobby kills children" is a better path to a changed collective mindset.

Slippery slope mindset may be a fallacy, but if there is any way to circumvent the preponderance of it, i cant help but hope it could be useful.

I mostly agree. The NRA and others have positioned it as "grabbing guns", which isn't true but whips up the fear and anger. The discussion needs to change to gun (and human) safety.

My take on those pictures is slightly different, though. I saw it as portrayals of gun culture, rather than suggesting those people were specifically the problem.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2022, 08:57:58 PM »

Why is mass in quotations? Are you disputing that killing 19 10 year olds with a firearm is a mass shooting?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2022, 09:00:57 PM »

Ok, I'll guess: because mowing down 19 seven to ten year olds is beyond shocking? Because mass murdering people in a supermarket because you listened to Tuckems tell you that you are being replaced is twisted and evil (both the shooter and Tuckems)?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2022, 09:51:48 PM »
Why keep perpetuating the lie that nobody talks about shootings in Chicago?   Never mind.   We know the answer to that one.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2022, 09:55:11 PM »
Why keep perpetuating the lie that nobody talks about shootings in Chicago?   Never mind.   We know the answer to that one.
What nobody talks about is the black supremacist driver who mowed down people in Waukesha. Or the black on black gang mass shootings in Chicago every day. Why don’t both get as much attention? We know why, just don’t know why it’s not called both ways.
All Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2022, 09:58:34 PM »
The NYT got their lead wrong on the latest mass murder:

A man carrying a rifle and a handgun opened fire in a medical office building in Tulsa, Okla., on Wednesday afternoon, killing four people and injuring several others before apparently taking his own life in the latest mass shooting to shock the country, the authorities said.

It didn't shock anybody. It's business as usual in Gunmerica.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2022, 09:58:39 PM »

You work so hard to remind us black people are bad. Very cute.