[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: My parish was vandalized.  (Read 4838 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: My parish was vandalized.
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 07:43:13 PM »
When it comes to giveaways, they're not "the rich," they're "job creators."

Feels like there is a connection to be made between job creators and those that need jobs.

Some just have better lawyers
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2022, 08:40:36 PM »
Smithy suffers from PTPS (post traumatic privileged syndrome). Still doesn't believe folks should reap what they sow. Let's keep the give-a-ways comin', aina?
Nah, roqqet reaped what others sowed but thinks he invented farming.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 10:25:51 PM »
Nah, roqqet reaped what others sowed but thinks he invented farming.

🐷🐷

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
Q: Why did Hitler quit drinking gin?

A: It made him mean.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 11:14:47 PM »
Q: Why did Hitler quit drinking gin?

A: It made him mean.

That's funny.

On another note, two hilarious movies that featured Hitler prominently -- Inglorious Basterds and Jojo Rabbit.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2022, 07:14:43 AM »
Although now probably an extra expense in the church budget, I would hire a security firm to install cameras, correct lighting, security alarm and whatever else is necessary.  I had also heard of church break ins to steal worship service sound system/audio gear.  A number of churches have hired off-duty police officers to attend services is you feel there is a greater threat.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:27:17 AM by NCMUFan »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2022, 08:26:19 AM »
Although now probably an extra expense in the church budget, I would hire a security firm to install cameras, correct lighting, security alarm and whatever else is necessary.  I had also heard of church break ins to steal worship service sound system/audio gear.  A number of churches have hired off-duty police officers to attend services is you feel there is a greater threat.

Many large synagogues already do this due to anti-Semitism, which unfortunately is on the rise again in America and becoming increasingly violent. It's just become a routine expense, part of the temple budget.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
Many large synagogues already do this due to anti-Semitism, which unfortunately is on the rise again in America and becoming increasingly violent. It's just become a routine expense, part of the temple budget.

Is that so?  Can you clarify?  Something outside of self reported numbers?  Is it more or less than other minorities?

I'm not going to pretend that antisemitism doesn't exist in the US, but I think that there are some really over sensitive people who claim that any criticism of Israel is antisemitic.  And when Israel is an apartheid state it deserves criticism.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2022, 09:12:02 AM »
Is that so?  Can you clarify?  Something outside of self reported numbers?  Is it more or less than other minorities?

I'm not going to pretend that antisemitism doesn't exist in the US, but I think that there are some really over sensitive people who claim that any criticism of Israel is antisemitic.  And when Israel is an apartheid state it deserves criticism.

New York, NY, April 26, 2022 … Antisemitic incidents reached an all-time high in the United States in 2021, with a total of 2,717 incidents of assault, harassment and vandalism reported to ADL (the Anti-Defamation League). This represents the highest number of incidents on record since ADL began tracking antisemitic incidents in 1979 – an average of more than seven incidents per day and a 34 percent increase year over year.

https://www.adl.org/news/press-releases/adl-audit-finds-antisemitic-incidents-in-united-states-reached-all-time-high-in

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2022, 09:40:10 AM »

C'mon dude, don't you remember Pittsburgh? You sound like some country bumpkin from Tigerton, WI, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »
New York, NY, April 26, 2022 … Antisemitic incidents reached an all-time high in the United States in 2021, with a total of 2,717 incidents of assault, harassment and vandalism reported to ADL (the Anti-Defamation League). This represents the highest number of incidents on record since ADL began tracking antisemitic incidents in 1979 – an average of more than seven incidents per day and a 34 percent increase year over year.

https://www.adl.org/news/press-releases/adl-audit-finds-antisemitic-incidents-in-united-states-reached-all-time-high-in

Thanks for beating me to it. There are other sources, too. I do agree with Hards that just criticizing Israel is not in and of itself anti-Semitic.

But yes, anti-Semitism is growing again ... and doing so in public has become more normalized. The march on Charlottesville, where "many very fine people" carried torches and chanted, "Jews will not replace us," was an extreme example -- but sadly, not that extreme.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2022, 09:49:16 AM »

C'mon dude, don't you remember Pittsburgh? You sound like some country bumpkin from Tigerton, WI, hey?

Tigerton use to be home of the Posse Comitatus
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2022, 10:38:02 AM »

Thanks.  The methodology does reference a bit of self reporting.  And 1776 of those reports were categorized as "harassment".  Which is non violent.  It's still gross, and I'm not excusing any of it.

Isn't there is a rising hate towards all minorities?  Is the rate higher for Jewish people? 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2022, 10:49:25 AM »

This is what I was touching on above.  Hate/division/violence is up across the board.

Acts of violence against AAPI is around 4500 per year .. almost double that of anti-semitism.  Anti-AAPI does get some media, but not nearly as much as anti-semitism. 

Similar increases for LGBTQ likely.  Elderly too. 

I think society gets more concerned about it as the media bounces from big stories about one group or another.

Pretty much every segmented group you can name are victims of hate crimes .. no one group is cornering the market.   All are up as our citizenry spins away from eachother.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »
This is what I was touching on above.  Hate/division/violence is up across the board.

Acts of violence against AAPI is around 4500 per year .. almost double that of anti-semitism.  Anti-AAPI does get some media, but not nearly as much as anti-semitism. 

I think society gets more concerned about it as the media bounces from big stories about one group or another.

Pretty much every segmented group you can name are victims of hate crimes .. no one group is cornering the market.   All are up as our citizenry spins away from eachother.

I was just taking the long way to get here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »

Agree on all of this.

As part of the discussion, NCMU said he'd hire security to protect churches. I simply stated, "Many large synagogues already do this due to anti-Semitism, which unfortunately is on the rise again in America and becoming increasingly violent."

I wasn't saying it was worse than any other kinds of bigotry, hate, prejudice, homophobia, white supremacy, etc. It's merely one part of a huge problem in our country.

Nor did I go into probable reasons for America's growing bigotry against all kinds of "others," because that no doubt would have been very political ... and I'm never one to go there.  ;)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2022, 11:47:08 AM »
Are Christmas tree ornaments anti-Semitic?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2022, 12:32:37 PM »
Can be.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2022, 01:54:33 PM »
My nieces and nephew go to a nicer Jewish day school in NJ just outside NYC.  They had been exploring armed security for awhile but then pushed that over the finish line after the anti-Semitic attacks in NYC not long ago.  And its remained since.  Kind of sad to see cute little kids in uniforms with former Special Forces soldiers with kevlar and guns watching over them and the gates.

I agree that criticism of Israel is not antisemitic on the balance, but unfortunately, a lot of people have trouble separating things and injecting nuance into it.  And further feel the need to project anti-Israel sentiment onto "normal" non-Zionist American Jews

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2022, 01:59:51 PM »
My nieces and nephew go to a nicer Jewish day school in NJ just outside NYC.  They had been exploring armed security for awhile but then pushed that over the finish line after the anti-Semitic attacks in NYC not long ago.  And its remained since.  Kind of sad to see cute little kids in uniforms with former Special Forces soldiers with kevlar and guns watching over them and the gates.

I agree that criticism of Israel is not antisemitic on the balance, but unfortunately, a lot of people have trouble separating things and injecting nuance into it.  And further feel the need to project anti-Israel sentiment onto "normal" non-Zionist American Jews

It is today's America, Wags, and you're right that it is sad.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »
It is today's America world, Wags, and you're right that it is sad.
FIFY. Have lots of friends who live in France. Armed guards are the norm at Jewish schools and synagogues, especially after the Charlie Hedbo attack. Same in London.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2022, 02:23:08 PM »
FIFY. Have lots of friends who live in France. Armed guards are the norm at Jewish schools and synagogues, especially after the Charlie Hedbo attack. Same in London.

Good correction, dog.

We live in America, so my location bias makes it feel closer to home. But yes, there's a lot of effed-up people out there, in every continent.

Sometimes I wonder how the human race has lasted this long.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2022, 03:45:00 PM »
Good correction, dog.

We live in America, so my location bias makes it feel closer to home. But yes, there's a lot of effed-up people out there, in every continent.

Sometimes I wonder how the human race has lasted this long.

I came the realization a few years ago that the world have been effed up for quite a long time. 
We're living in 24 hour media coverage so it's no stop effed up reporting that makes it seem worse and worsening.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2022, 04:10:47 PM »
I came the realization a few years ago that the world have been effed up for quite a long time. 
We're living in 24 hour media coverage so it's no stop effed up reporting that makes it seem worse and worsening.

Well, if some white supremacist opens fire at a grocery store in a Black neighborhood, it's hard to fault the media for reporting it.

But sure, far too much of the media has an agenda on one or the other end of a political spectrum. That, combined with social media turning practically everybody into a reporter, has only made things worse.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2022, 07:27:53 PM »

It is 100% this.  The world has actually never been safer.

feedback