[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU sells land for Entertainment Complex  (Read 7592 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: MU sells land for Entertainment Complex
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2022, 02:40:32 PM »
So much for the on campus basketball venue, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 03:08:21 PM »
I've been to two shows at the Rave in the past two months, and it's still a really cool old building.  They've cleaned it up a bit, added more bars, and have highlighted some of the awesome old architecture with lighting.  While I like all of the conveniences of new venues, the atmosphere in that old place can not be matched by a new venue.  And that is something worth preserving.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 03:17:54 PM »
Her name is Lauren Holiday.

Weren't her and Zach Ertz's wife teammates.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 03:32:18 PM »
This has to be bad news for The Rave and Turner Hall.
And the Riverside. Roughly same size capacity and bands will be looking to play the new venue. Although, you can not beat the Riverside. Cheap tall boys and cannabis friendly staff. Good times.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 03:45:07 PM »
And the Riverside. Roughly same size capacity and bands will be looking to play the new venue. Although, you can not beat the Riverside. Cheap tall boys and cannabis friendly staff. Good times.

The Riverside is also part of the Pabst Theater Group, so they won't be hurt by this deal either.  PTG runs the Pabst Theater, the Riverside, Turner Hall Ballroom, and the Back Room at Colectivo.  They're also booking the Miller High Life Theater (the old Milwaukee Auditorium), but I'm guessing that one may be put on the back burner when the new venue comes online.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »
So much for the on campus basketball venue, hey?

Ma and Pa were right, hey?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2022, 07:41:20 AM »
Even a broken clock iz write twice a dey, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2022, 09:14:24 AM »
Land is hard to come by for a campus like Marquette’s.  Wondering if the university just needed the money.  Could be an issue if they are strapped for money.  Hm

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2022, 09:21:02 AM »
Land is hard to come by for a campus like Marquette’s.  Wondering if the university just needed the money.  Could be an issue if they are strapped for money.  Hm

Marquette’s not strapped for money at all. It’s a piece of land that they acquired thinking they were going to do something with it, but decided against it. Now they are partnering with someone that is going to upgrade their soccer and lax competition facilities without having to raise money for a large, capital project.

Marquette owns a good portion of the properties west and north of campus. They aren’t lacking for space should they need it. But I don’t think they will. There won’t be much student growth over the next generation or two.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2022, 09:25:12 AM »
Marquette’s not strapped for money at all. It’s a piece of land that they acquired thinking they were going to do something with it, but decided against it. Now they are partnering with someone that is going to upgrade their soccer and lax competition facilities without having to raise money for a large, capital project.

Marquette owns a good portion of the properties west and north of campus. They aren’t lacking for space should they need it. But I don’t think they will. There won’t be much student growth over the next generation or two.

Thanks , Clarissa!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »
From an MU perspective, this is an easy one.  Rent, don't buy.  Of course, that doesn't account for all of the effort/money that went into acquiring the land. 

I haven't seen any numbers yet, but so far, there's no reason to believe that they didn't turn a profit on this sale.  Even if they broke even or incurred a small loss, they did the smart thing by snapping up the land when it was available.  If they didn't, there might be something else built on that property that wouldn't necessarily benefit Marquette.
Have some patience, FFS.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2022, 11:23:29 AM »
With this soccer and Lax field, what happens to Valley Field and the Dome ??  8-)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »
With this soccer and Lax field, what happens to Valley Field and the Dome ??  8-)

The announcement said the teams will still practice there.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2022, 02:37:20 PM »

Just for reference, these are the capacities of the various concert venues (via Wikipedia).  The new building seems to fit in well with the Pabst groups other buildings, maybe more direct competition with the Eagles Ballroom (Rave):

Miller High Life Theatre - 4.086
Eagles Ballroom - 3,500
New Place - 3,500
Riverside - 2,450
The Rave Hall - 1,800
Pabst Theatre - 1,339
Turner Hall Ballroom - 987
Shank Hall - 300
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 03:18:35 PM by ChuckyChip »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2022, 03:09:45 PM »

Practice facility for SOC and LAX,, club sports, and intramurals.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2022, 06:38:33 PM »
Just for reference, these are the capacities of the various concert venues (via Wikipedia).  The new building seems to fit in well with the Pabst groups other buildings, maybe more direct competition with the Eagles Ballroom (Rave):

Miller High Life Theatre - 4.086
Eagles Ballroom - 3,500
New Place - 3,500
Riverside - 2,450
The Rave Hall - 1,800
Pabst Theatre - 1,339
Turner Hall Ballroom - 987
Shank Hall - 300
I imagine the new venue will be the horseshoe style similar to the Sylvee in Madison or the Roxy in Atlanta. Both relatively new venues. There are others that have sprung up recently over the country. General admission floor with limited seating upstairs. VIP section. Big bars in the back on both levels.
Eagles Ballroom sucks for both the band and the patron. Acoustics are terrible. Had better facilities in my high school.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 11:14:40 AM »
This is like buying a distressed house next door to you, and then selling to a nice couple who wants to build the perfect home with a pool and have you over for pool parties. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 12:47:26 PM »
From an MU perspective, this is an easy one.  Rent, don't buy.  Of course, that doesn't account for all of the effort/money that went into acquiring the land.  Regardless, having a top facility near campus is a great benefit to everyone.

From a soccer standpoint, this would fit right into the USL where Forward Madison plays.

Breeze Stevens, on the near east side of Madison is the home facility, and it hosts concerts, etc.  In fact, looking at the website, they have some really big acts coming.

https://www.breesestevensfield.com/

Breeze Stevens looks like a much improved facility. We played soccer there in the late 1990s and it was in rough condition.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2022, 01:04:09 PM »
I assume that the Pabst group needs a new theater to keep up and compete against Live Nation new theater, now proposed for old BC land.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2022/05/23/fpc-live-pitches-new-concert-venue-milwaukees-deer-district-former-bradley-center/9885746002/

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2022, 01:12:54 PM »
I assume that the Pabst group needs a new theater to keep up and compete against Live Nation new theater, now proposed for old BC land.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2022/05/23/fpc-live-pitches-new-concert-venue-milwaukees-deer-district-former-bradley-center/9885746002/
So they want to build a new 4,000 capacity concert venue right next to another 4,000 capacity concert venue?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 02:36:03 PM »
So they want to build a new 4,000 capacity concert venue right next to another 4,000 capacity concert venue?

There will be much more flexibility in this Live Nation facility as opposed to the High Life Theater.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 03:57:36 PM »
There will be much more flexibility in this Live Nation facility as opposed to the High Life Theater.

I doubt that both the Live Nation facility and the Pabst Theater Group venue at the new stadium will come to fruition.  They're essentially the same size and (presumably) style. 

If I were to guess, I'd say the Pabst venture changes course a bit, because Live Nation has the funds and the sway in the industry nationwide.  Hopefully it's not enough to derail the stadium itself. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 04:53:40 PM »
If I were to guess, I'd say the Pabst venture changes course a bit, because Live Nation has the funds and the sway in the industry nationwide.  Hopefully it's not enough to derail the stadium itself.

I was thinking the same thing...maybe one venue has permanent seating and the other is a general admission open-floor design?

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 05:22:09 PM »
Excellent development for MU.
Agree awesome development for Marquette University. Met one of the 2 main purchasers very late May 14th. Spoke briefly as we had to leave for New York very early May 15th. Wish we had more time. Great person very nice and kind.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 05:23:24 PM »
I doubt that both the Live Nation facility and the Pabst Theater Group venue at the new stadium will come to fruition.  They're essentially the same size and (presumably) style. 

Gary Witt is no idiot.  He knew Live Nation was coming somewhere.  I think he's ready.