'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU sells land for Entertainment Complex  (Read 7597 times)

MUfan12

• All American
MU sells land for Entertainment Complex
« on: May 20, 2022, 10:24:19 AM »
I had heard about this going back to the summer of 2020, but assumed the deal was dead. Glad they are able to offload this land for a fun use.

https://today.marquette.edu/2022/05/marquette-sells-11-acres-on-michigan-st-to-developers-for-new-sports-and-entertainment-district/

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: MU sells land for Entertainment Complex
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 10:27:51 AM »
So this will be the new competition field for men's and women's soccer and lax.  Very cool.  A lot of schools are looking more and more at these types of partnerships to fund further growth.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 10:29:08 AM »
I had heard about this going back to the summer of 2020, but assumed the deal was dead. Glad they are able to offload this land for a fun use.

https://today.marquette.edu/2022/05/marquette-sells-11-acres-on-michigan-st-to-developers-for-new-sports-and-entertainment-district/

That's pretty cool. I didn't know Milwaukee was aiming for a professional soccer club. Great news for the MU soccer and LAX programs too
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 10:46:49 AM »
Genuinely exciting news.  I guess we finally know where Tommy's donation went!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 10:51:24 AM »
Sounds like the deal was brokered by Joel Pogodzinski, so this is really a win for Kevin O'Neill.

In all seriousness, this sounds like a great deal.  Nice work by President Lovell & Joel P.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:56:39 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 10:55:02 AM »
So is this going to be the new location for the indoor concert venue that was recently scrapped at the Summerfest parking lot?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 11:06:14 AM »
So is this going to be the new location for the indoor concert venue that was recently scrapped at the Summerfest parking lot?

They're looking at the Bradley Center land for that. The venue with this development would be run by the Pabst Theatre Group.

I think MKE is getting close to, if not at, saturation point for concert venues, but we'll see how it goes.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 11:07:26 AM »
I'd imagine they're aiming for a USL Championship team, which is a great league.  It'll be really good to have an outdoor stadium downtown, too. 

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 11:08:16 AM »
From an MU perspective, this is an easy one.  Rent, don't buy.  Of course, that doesn't account for all of the effort/money that went into acquiring the land.  Regardless, having a top facility near campus is a great benefit to everyone.

From a soccer standpoint, this would fit right into the USL where Forward Madison plays.

Breeze Stevens, on the near east side of Madison is the home facility, and it hosts concerts, etc.  In fact, looking at the website, they have some really big acts coming.

https://www.breesestevensfield.com/

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 11:16:06 AM »
They're looking at the Bradley Center land for that. The venue with this development would be run by the Pabst Theatre Group.

I think MKE is getting close to, if not at, saturation point for concert venues, but we'll see how it goes.

You are correct!  I just received an email from the Pabst Theater Group with a press release that contains this:

"Adjacent to the soccer facility will be a state-of-the-art 3,500-person indoor concert venue operated by one of the world’s premier concert promoters and the Pabst Theater Group in partnership with Kacmarcik Enterprises. The facility will host national touring acts 80-to-100 nights a year and more than 300 events a year in total.

“This amazing new venue is another rung on the Pabst Theater Group’s ‘artist and fan developmental ladder’ and will help artists to choose Milwaukee as a city to not only launch their careers but support them as they continue to return and as they grow," said Gary Witt, president and CEO of the Pabst Theater Group. "The location is a perfect fit for a concert venue. It has plenty of parking and easy access to trains, buses, and highways, and it’s only a stone’s throw from downtown. This is the right place for us to be, working alongside great partners like Kacmarcik Enterprises and Bear Development and getting to expand our venues’ potential in the same space as an exciting new professional soccer stadium. As an almost 20-year-old independent Milwaukee business, we are honored to carry the torch for live performances in Milwaukee into the future, along with other independent local powerhouses like The Rave, The Cactus Club, and Shank Hall.”
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 11:23:36 AM »
From an MU perspective, this is an easy one.  Rent, don't buy.  Of course, that doesn't account for all of the effort/money that went into acquiring the land.  Regardless, having a top facility near campus is a great benefit to everyone.

From a soccer standpoint, this would fit right into the USL where Forward Madison plays.

Breeze Stevens, on the near east side of Madison is the home facility, and it hosts concerts, etc.  In fact, looking at the website, they have some really big acts coming.

https://www.breesestevensfield.com/

I've been to a couple of shows and a game, and it is a good time.  Parking sucks, so if you go, arrive early.

One other gripe is that the concert I went to the venue was fairly new and there was a line down the street of people just trying to get in.  Missed almost all of the opener standing in line... but at least I could hear it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »
You are correct!  I just received an email from the Pabst Theater Group with a press release that contains this:

"Adjacent to the soccer facility will be a state-of-the-art 3,500-person indoor concert venue operated by one of the world’s premier concert promoters and the Pabst Theater Group in partnership with Kacmarcik Enterprises. The facility will host national touring acts 80-to-100 nights a year and more than 300 events a year in total.

“This amazing new venue is another rung on the Pabst Theater Group’s ‘artist and fan developmental ladder’ and will help artists to choose Milwaukee as a city to not only launch their careers but support them as they continue to return and as they grow," said Gary Witt, president and CEO of the Pabst Theater Group. "The location is a perfect fit for a concert venue. It has plenty of parking and easy access to trains, buses, and highways, and it’s only a stone’s throw from downtown. This is the right place for us to be, working alongside great partners like Kacmarcik Enterprises and Bear Development and getting to expand our venues’ potential in the same space as an exciting new professional soccer stadium. As an almost 20-year-old independent Milwaukee business, we are honored to carry the torch for live performances in Milwaukee into the future, along with other independent local powerhouses like The Rave, The Cactus Club, and Shank Hall.”

This has to be bad news for The Rave and Turner Hall.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 11:34:34 AM »

I imagine Pete Jest of Shank Hall is not pleased either

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 11:35:21 AM »

There's a capacity sweet spot for indoor, standing-room concert venues that only The Rave/Eagles Ballroom hits in Milwaukee right now.  A lot of performers (and fans) don't like The Rave and/or its management, so I have no doubt that this new venue will be very successful.  Turner Hall only holds about 1000 people, so Pabst Theater Group wouldn't be cannibalizing from its other venues. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 11:36:51 AM »
Cue the "MU is bringing back football" responses.

It will be nice to have soccer matches much more accessible to campus. What's next for Valley Fields? Indoor practice facility/bubble, perhaps?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 11:40:46 AM »

Well, Turner Hall, no because they are part of the Pabst Theater Group.

The Rave, maybe.  But if the new proposed venue that was planned for the Summerfest parking lot ends up being delayed or scrapped completely because of this new venue, that's got to be good news for the Rave.  The previous new venue was planned by FPC Live, and it was alleged that they were actively trying to run the Rave/Eagles Ballroom out of business.  They had first unsuccessfully tried to buy the Eagles Club building, and when that failed, the Rave owners feared that FPC Live, as a giant national concert promoter, was trying to put both the Rave and the Pabst Group under.  So if FPC Live decides that this new Pabst Group-run venue will saturate the Milwaukee market, then maybe they will drop their plans for the Bradley Center lot, or wherever it is they're now looking.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 11:44:00 AM »
I imagine Pete Jest of Shank Hall is not pleased either

Shank Hall only holds 300, so it's not competing for acts with this new venue.  The Rave is the only place I see losing bookings, and I don't even know if that'll be too significant.  I think you'll mostly see tours that otherwise would have skipped Milwaukee, which would be a win for everyone. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 12:08:46 PM »
Sounds like the deal was brokered by Joel Pogodzinski, so this is really a win for Kevin O'Neill.

In all seriousness, this sounds like a great deal.  Nice work by President Lovell & Joel P.

So now that MU is dumping Valley Fields, the return to Warriors is within reach.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 12:20:10 PM »
As for a Professional Soccer team, I have it on good authority, that Jrue Holiday's wife is seriously looking into being involved ($$$) in Soccer in the Milw area ! ! ! 8-)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 12:47:28 PM »
As for a Professional Soccer team, I have it on good authority, that Jrue Holiday's wife is seriously looking into being involved ($$$) in Soccer in the Milw area ! ! ! 8-)

Her name is Lauren Holiday.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 12:52:51 PM »
Well, Turner Hall, no because they are part of the Pabst Theater Group.

The Rave, maybe.  But if the new proposed venue that was planned for the Summerfest parking lot ends up being delayed or scrapped completely because of this new venue, that's got to be good news for the Rave.  The previous new venue was planned by FPC Live, and it was alleged that they were actively trying to run the Rave/Eagles Ballroom out of business.  They had first unsuccessfully tried to buy the Eagles Club building, and when that failed, the Rave owners feared that FPC Live, as a giant national concert promoter, was trying to put both the Rave and the Pabst Group under.  So if FPC Live decides that this new Pabst Group-run venue will saturate the Milwaukee market, then maybe they will drop their plans for the Bradley Center lot, or wherever it is they're now looking.

I have a many fond memories of The Rave, but I don't feel like they've put much (any) into the building in the last 25 years.

Am I wrong?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 12:55:25 PM »

I think Milwaukee could support an NWSL team.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 12:56:50 PM »
Excellent development for MU.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 01:09:40 PM »
I have a many fond memories of The Rave, but I don't feel like they've put much (any) into the building in the last 25 years.

Am I wrong?

If they did, they're not noticeable.

I'll always love the Rave for the nostalgia
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 02:30:22 PM »
If they did, they're not noticeable.

I'll always love the Rave for the nostalgia

They haven't, and that's why this new competition will be a welcome sight.  It was convenient as an MU student, but then you come to realize that all those "free" 2-drink minimum tickets were a way for the venue to make money without paying the artists. 

On the new stadium, this has to be a huge plus for MU soccer and lax recruiting.  Not many collegiate soccer teams get to play in a pro-level venue that is basically on campus. 

Finally, my apologies to everyone screaming "Superbar!" for this entire thread.