[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette's Next Freshman Class up 22% from 2021  (Read 6670 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Marquette's Next Freshman Class up 22% from 2021
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2022, 07:49:16 AM »
I use advanced analytics
Shouldn't you be able to predict his next post by now?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2022, 08:11:45 AM »
Shouldn't you be able to predict his next post by now?

Can’t we all?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2022, 08:47:28 AM »
Maybe the poor guidance counselor making that list picked 50% as "highly selective" .. and yet MU still couldn't manage to make the coin flip list.  So funny I forgot to laugh?

St. Olaf made the list because the guidance counselor is an alum.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2022, 08:49:08 AM »
Highly selective means highly selective. Highly selective doesn’t always correlate with educational quality.

Marquette is highly selective. They are highly selective about who they market to.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2022, 09:28:04 AM »
Marquette is highly selective. They are highly selective about who they market to.

Speaking of how Marquette markets ...

According to the email I just received, here's the latest offering for those who donate to MU:

Yes, because the very first thing any Marquette fan wants people to see is WISCONSIN in large yellow type on the top of their sweatshirt.

Oh, and "Marquette" isn't on it at all.

I donate annually to the College of Communications, and I don't care about the incentive gifts they offer (I think I've only gotten one over all these years). But if I were the type who did care, this would be a turn-off and I'd wait to see what the next one is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2022, 09:28:24 AM »
Like so many other topics of discussion here, y'all have a small sample size and are in denial. Branch out and experience the other 50%. You'll be amazed what you're missing and not seeing, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2022, 09:28:46 AM »

Exactly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2022, 09:36:47 AM »
Like so many other topics of discussion here, y'all have a small sample size and are in denial. Branch out and experience the other 50%. You'll be amazed what you're missing and not seeing, hey?

Other 35%

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2022, 09:38:35 AM »

According to the email I just received, here's the latest offering for those who donate to MU:

Yes, because the very first thing any Marquette fan wants people to see is WISCONSIN in large yellow type on the top of their sweatshirt.

I donate annually to the College of Communications, and I don't care about the incentive gifts they offer (I think I've only gotten one over all these years). But if I were the type who did care, this would be a turn-off and I'd wait to see what the next one is.

The McCormick cozies, the MU flag, and the beach towels were solid gifts

This sweatshirt stinks
Bring back FFP!!!

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2022, 09:38:53 AM »

So so ironic...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2022, 09:39:05 AM »

Were you on the group text with my friends? I think I said the exact same thing.

In the grand scheme of things, not that big of a deal, but I was curious why they’d make the word “Wisconsin” the first thing you see.

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2022, 09:40:33 AM »

This looks unofficial.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2022, 09:40:57 AM »
The McCormick cozies, the MU flag, and the beach towels were solid gifts

This sweatshirt stinks

I agree. I think they’ve done a really nice ornament in the past as well. The McCormick cozie gets a lot of use.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »

This looks unofficial.
Agreed. Since Marquette is not mentioned, it looks like something I would see at a flea market.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2022, 10:42:23 AM »
Highly selective means highly selective. Highly selective doesn’t always correlate with educational quality.

Handwringing over acceptance rate is just a waste of time. Many schools don’t even think about it.

Yep both mine and my younger sister's alma maters had their acceptance rates rise markedly over the last 5 years.  However, if you look at the stats of the incoming classes, the caliber of student increased by all metrics, and not just slightly. 

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »
The other thing is, Marquette is absolutely going to be fine with its program array. Business, nursing, engineering and health sciences? With an underlying emphasis on the liberal arts? I don't think the University could be set up better for what the labor marketplace is seeking than this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2022, 11:17:23 AM »

It's just hideous.  And the sweatshirt looks cheap, and doesn't fit the wearer.

Who let's this style of design out the door?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2022, 11:20:37 AM »
Yep both mine and my younger sister's alma maters had their acceptance rates rise markedly over the last 5 years.  However, if you look at the stats of the incoming classes, the caliber of student increased by all metrics, and not just slightly.

This. The average enrolled student's GPA and test scores were higher - while increasing the percentage of students of color.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2022, 12:28:48 PM »
Agreed. Since Marquette is not mentioned, it looks like something I would see at a flea market.

That's a perfect statement, lawdog, because my sources say it includes fleas -- no extra charge!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2022, 10:33:50 PM »
MU's approach on recruiting is extremely counter-intuitive, but highly efficient.   As others have said, this hyper-targeting has actually strengthened the academic metrics of the incoming class, despite what on the surface appears to be an embarrassingly high acceptance rate. 

Despite that success, I do think the 86% figure is problematic, and discourages students on the upper end of who would typically consider Marquette from applying.  They see that figure and have a visceral reaction and think WTF?  That they're wrong for not looking under the hood isn't relevant.   It's still a problem from a branding standpoint and exposes MU's lack of popularity.

There's no doubt in my mind that the high acceptance rate figure is the main contributor to MU's lack of geographic diversity.  Why fly half way across the country to attend a school that accepts almost 90% of all applicants?  I'm not saying this way of thinking is correct or has any relevance to outcomes, which is what really matters, and there's no doubt MU grads hold their own with anyone, but it's also not going to disappear anytime soon. 

At the end of day, MU isn't going to win any awards for branding, but as long as they're meeting their enrollment goals they don't care about what they strongly believe are superficial metrics.  They don't have to care because they don't operate in an area where folks seem to care about superficial metrics anywhere near as much as they do where I come from.   I'm an extremely engaged alum who maintains regular contact with multiple administrators there, and have been told on no uncertain terms that while it would be nice to have more geographic diversity, it will never be a priority for them.  They are who they are and that's ok.

And to whoever mentioned MU looks worse than St. John's, DePaul and Seton Hall, the fact is MU is ranked significantly higher than all 3 of those other schools, despite their high acceptance rate.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2022, 11:10:02 PM »
It's like wins in baseball. Theoretically it could mean something but it's lack of context makes it a meaningless stat. There were statheads for years getting booed down when they pointed this out but the public eventually came around. Same will happen for acceptance rate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2022, 03:29:39 AM »
MU's approach on recruiting is extremely counter-intuitive, but highly efficient.   As others have said, this hyper-targeting has actually strengthened the academic metrics of the incoming class, despite what on the surface appears to be an embarrassingly high acceptance rate. 

Despite that success, I do think the 86% figure is problematic, and discourages students on the upper end of who would typically consider Marquette from applying.  They see that figure and have a visceral reaction and think WTF?  That they're wrong for not looking under the hood isn't relevant.   It's still a problem from a branding standpoint and exposes MU's lack of popularity.

There's no doubt in my mind that the high acceptance rate figure is the main contributor to MU's lack of geographic diversity.  Why fly half way across the country to attend a school that accepts almost 90% of all applicants?  I'm not saying this way of thinking is correct or has any relevance to outcomes, which is what really matters, and there's no doubt MU grads hold their own with anyone, but it's also not going to disappear anytime soon. 

At the end of day, MU isn't going to win any awards for branding, but as long as they're meeting their enrollment goals they don't care about what they strongly believe are superficial metrics.  They don't have to care because they don't operate in an area where folks seem to care about superficial metrics anywhere near as much as they do where I come from.   I'm an extremely engaged alum who maintains regular contact with multiple administrators there, and have been told on no uncertain terms that while it would be nice to have more geographic diversity, it will never be a priority for them.  They are who they are and that's ok.

And to whoever mentioned MU looks worse than St. John's, DePaul and Seton Hall, the fact is MU is ranked significantly higher than all 3 of those other schools, despite their high acceptance rate.

The lack of geographic diversity is probably due to the targeted marketing more than the acceptance rate.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2022, 08:00:12 AM »

I am confident that the vast majority of college applicants don't place the amount of importance on acceptance rates that you do, especially since most entities that rate colleges have downgraded or eliminated that metric.

The fact remains that even with the high acceptance rate, Marquette has increased the academic caliber of the average student that actually enrolls, even as the student body becomes more diverse.  Marquette could completely game the system by encouraging students to apply who have no chance of making it, but it does not.

Anyone who uses acceptance rate as a significant consideration is nothing but an elitist snob, pure and simple.
Have some patience, FFS.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2022, 08:26:05 AM »
I am confident that the vast majority of college applicants don't place the amount of importance on acceptance rates that you do, especially since most entities that rate colleges have downgraded or eliminated that metric.

The fact remains that even with the high acceptance rate, Marquette has increased the academic caliber of the average student that actually enrolls, even as the student body becomes more diverse.  Marquette could completely game the system by encouraging students to apply who have no chance of making it, but it does not.

Anyone who uses acceptance rate as a significant consideration is nothing but an elitist snob, pure and simple.

That definitely tracks

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2022, 08:53:03 AM »

Or incredibly misguided wrt what makes a quality education.

feedback