collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette's Next Freshman Class up 22% from 2021  (Read 6623 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Marquette's Next Freshman Class up 22% from 2021
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2022, 02:40:02 PM »
Many national (and even more local regional) private schools don’t have 74% of their student population from just two states.

Source?

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2022, 02:59:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing Chick!  I saw the press release yesterday and was thrilled to hear this news.  Went to scoop just now to see if anyone shared anything about it on here which you did so thank you!

I've come around on the acceptance rate issue after educating myself more and speaking with MU Admissions staffers.  U.S. News doesn't even take it into account anymore and I've never felt it was reflective of quality, but too many people still think it does....especially in the part of the country where I live.  That said, even though no stats are available for this year's cycle yet, a lower acceptance rate, and higher yield means a school is more popular, and I can't imagine any Scoop regulars don't want MU to be more popular.   

I do think having a super-high acceptance rate, as it has been in previous years discourages smarter Type A students from applying.  Maybe not Ivy bound types but students bound for schools one notch above MU.  When they see MU accepted 88% or whatever it was last year some have a visceral reaction and think to themselves I'm better than that.  That has always been my main concern with the acceptance rate figure and it might have something to do with the lack of geographic diversity but who knows.

I agree with Shoothoops that geographic diversity is every bit as important as racial and socio-economic, and they can do better there but at the end of the day MU is a Midwest school and they're always going to get most of the students from WI and greater Chicago.  I also think recruiting more students from from other parts of the country may be counter to their mission because by default those students tend to be from wealthier families given the increased costs of travel to and from campus.   If they could get the IL/WI figure down to 60% instead of 75% that would be fantastic but not sure how realistic that is.   At the end of the day, this is still great news!

Does anyone have any inside info on why MU moved from Rolling Admissions to a single decision day?  This is the best move they've made in a long time so curious if anyone has any insight on what caused them to finally see the light and take steps to make MU more appealing.  The release implied that high school guidance counselors were advocating for that but curious if anyone has any other info.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:24:34 PM by Disco Hippie »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2022, 03:22:43 PM »
That was true when I applied. I only heard about Marquette from my cousin who lived in Indiana. It wasn't until Marquette became a national power in basketball during Al's tenure that Marquette became national brand so to speak.
I'll accept that MU has only been a national university for the past 50 years.

EVEN US News & World Report has us as the #83 National University:

Marquette University
Milwaukee, WI

#83 in National Universities (tie)

Marquette University, a private Catholic, Jesuit school, is in walking distance of downtown Milwaukee, a city known for its restaurants, zoo and athletics. The Marquette Golden Eagles are members of the NCAA Division I Big East Conference and are especially competitive in basketball. The men's basketball team plays in the Wisconsin Entertainment & Sports Center, which is also home to the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks. There is no varsity football team, but enthusiasts of the sport can play at the intramural level. Other sports options include a tennis singles league, indoor volleyball and intramural innertube water polo. Students have almost 300 clubs and organizations to get involved in, and about 15 percent of the student body takes part in the Greek system, which includes more than 20 fraternities and sororities. To kick off each spring semester, the university holds the Winter Flurry, a week of games and activities that culminates in a semiformal dance known as Snowball. Freshmen and sophomores must live on campus, unless they reside locally with a family member or guardian. Lake Michigan is a mile from campus, and students can travel on Milwaukee County Transit System buses for free with a pass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2022, 03:25:51 PM »
Many national (and even more local regional) private schools don’t have 74% of their student population from just two states.

Do you have any stats to support that claim ?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2022, 08:28:08 PM »
My daughter was accepted at Marquette. But due to what she wants to do post grad and in life, UCF ended up as a better choice.
The one nice thing to see is that MU financial aid was in line with the other private universities she was accepted at (Loyola-NO, Hofstra, Fordham).
The pretzel Marquette sent as part of a congrats package was tasty and a nice touch!

The pretzel was a nice touch! However, my son chose the city with the original and decided to attend Penn.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:30:23 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2022, 03:54:14 PM »
Seems as good as any thread to post this here ..

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »
Interesting. I never thought of Liberty as a very accepting university.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2022, 06:07:18 PM »
Seems as good as any thread to post this here ..

We're the easiest school in the BE to get into when DePaul, St. John's, and Seton Hall are out there? That's embarrassing.

Nice to see Arizona State has increased its standards over past classes.Now they're almost as hard to get into as we are.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:18:27 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2022, 06:58:09 PM »
This is why you have victims approaching suspects, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2022, 06:59:42 PM »
We're the easiest school in the BE to get into when DePaul, St. John's, and Seton Hall are out there? That's embarrassing.

Nice to see Arizona State has increased its standards over past classes.Now they're almost as hard to get into as we are.  ::)

This hardly means that Marquette is easy to get into. As I have said previously, they are targeting who they get their apps from. Taking a bunch of applications knowing that they will simply reject a bunch is a waste of everyone’s time.

The quality of a class depends on who shows up in September.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2022, 07:23:32 PM »
Coincidentally, I got my high school "annual report" in the mail today. 

It had two lists .. the most frequent colleges selected by class of 2022 (U of Minnesota, St. Thomas, UW@Madison, Iowa, Creighton, Marquette, etc.)

The 2nd list was "Highly Selective College destinations - 2022" .. It was a solid list, Boston College, Brandeis, UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, Chapman, Miami, Rhodes, Skidmore, St. Olaf, Texas, UW@Madison and 30 others.

Marquette?  Not on that list .. i.e., not "selective" enough.   

At 86% acceptance, it seems MU has reached safety school status.

(And here comes Sultan to set me straight..)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2022, 07:30:41 PM »
Not to denigrate my own degree, but hasn’t Marquette always been a safety school? 

I always thought I got a superior type/style of education but I was never under the illusion that I was showing up to an elite university. 

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2022, 07:45:11 PM »
Coincidentally, I got my high school "annual report" in the mail today. 

It had two lists .. the most frequent colleges selected by class of 2022 (U of Minnesota, St. Thomas, UW@Madison, Iowa, Creighton, Marquette, etc.)

The 2nd list was "Highly Selective College destinations - 2022" .. It was a solid list, Boston College, Brandeis, UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, Chapman, Miami, Rhodes, Skidmore, St. Olaf, Texas, UW@Madison and 30 others.

Marquette?  Not on that list .. i.e., not "selective" enough.   

At 86% acceptance, it seems MU has reached safety school status.

(And here comes Sultan to set me straight..)

St. Olaf is “highly selective?” 😂😂😂

I’m sure your education served you well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2022, 08:10:25 PM »
This is why you have victims approaching suspects, hey?

Haha. This one actually made me laugh.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2022, 09:33:35 PM »
St. Olaf is “highly selective?” 😂😂😂

I’m sure your education served you well.

Maybe the poor guidance counselor making that list picked 50% as "highly selective" .. and yet MU still couldn't manage to make the coin flip list.  So funny I forgot to laugh?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2022, 09:50:49 PM »
^^^ it’s CDH, not BSM… can’t expect much
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2022, 04:12:51 AM »
Maybe the poor guidance counselor making that list picked 50% as "highly selective" .. and yet MU still couldn't manage to make the coin flip list.  So funny I forgot to laugh?

Don’t believe propaganda that states or implies that educational quality is tied to the percentage of students they admit.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2022, 05:07:18 AM »
Nonsense, highly selective is highly selective. MU is middle of the road and there are worse universities. Doesn't mean ya can't be successful from MU, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2022, 05:10:09 AM »
Nonsense, highly selective is highly selective. MU is middle of the road and there are worse universities. Doesn't mean ya can't be successful from MU, hey?

Highly selective means highly selective. Highly selective doesn’t always correlate with educational quality.

Handwringing over acceptance rate is just a waste of time. Many schools don’t even think about it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:16:38 AM by Sultan Sultanberger »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2022, 06:00:18 AM »
What it does mean is the students are smarter and therefore the competition is keener. Don't employers and grad schools look for the best and the brightest? Or, have we now gotten to the place where that is discriminatory and are willing to settle for mediocrity, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2022, 06:14:34 AM »
What it does mean is the students are smarter and therefore the competition is keener. Don't employers and grad schools look for the best and the brightest? Or, have we now gotten to the place where that is discriminatory and are willing to settle for mediocrity, hey?

you'll be surprised(or probably not) how the big ones do go for the "best and the brightest"...as long as they check the boxes ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2022, 06:24:15 AM »
  you'll be surprised(or probably not) how the big ones do go for the "best and the brightest"...as long as they check the boxes ;)

This is an 8 out of 10.  Thinly veiled sexism and racism, air quotes and ellipses. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2022, 07:45:42 AM »
This is an 8 out of 10.  Thinly veiled sexism and racism, air quotes and ellipses.

Not so thinly veiled. I think you might have shorted roQQet a point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2022, 07:48:16 AM »
Not so thinly veiled. I think you might have shorted roQQet a point.

I use advanced analytics
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2022, 07:48:55 AM »

Does Marquette have a problem getting their students hired or with getting their alumni into grad school?

feedback