[Today at 06:37:13 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New NIL Collective for MBB and WBB  (Read 25101 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: New NIL Collective for MBB and WBB
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2022, 03:27:09 PM »
College sports need coaches feuding.  It’s awesome.  Would love Shaka telling Sean Miller he cheats and then Miller and X get mad and have some bad blood

I mean, this is just great!

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1527355273588854795?s=20&t=IGALzVNr7djUmZJLip4cxw

Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
TAMU AD Ross Bjork to @SInow
“I don’t know why Nick Saban would say what he said except he’s threatened. There is a saying … an emperor who loses their dynasty lashes out.

“I guess people don’t like A&M disrupting the power base of college football.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2022, 03:30:33 PM »

I mean, this is just great!

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1527355273588854795?s=20&t=IGALzVNr7djUmZJLip4cxw

Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
TAMU AD Ross Bjork to @SInow
“I don’t know why Nick Saban would say what he said except he’s threatened. There is a saying … an emperor who loses their dynasty lashes out.

“I guess people don’t like A&M disrupting the power base of college football.”

Trying to imagine if this Paul Chryst and some coach 😂
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2022, 03:35:05 PM »
Did you mean with "the other teams having paid players also"? (see Pitino, Calipari, Urban Myer)

I stand corrected
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »

No one is perfect.  But cmon...the guy can coach obviously.

I agree. I think Saban is a better coach, but the guy with better players should win the most.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2022, 03:46:37 PM »
Personally, the athletes being poor had zero impact on my interest in college sports.
Right? It was slave labor. They were the only poor students and racked up a mountain of student loan debts.

I don't have problem with players making money, but put some rules in place. Pro sports recognize competition is good for business. I haven't watched a college bowl game in 10 years. I don't gamble on sports so I don't care which SEC team or Clemson wins. As I said before maybe it's just me.   

My deteriorating interest comes from the the wild west nature of it all and complete lack of competitive equity.  I would loose interest in pro sports if only the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, Bears, Cowboys, Lakers, Knicks and Bulls won.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2022, 04:13:01 PM »
Right? It was slave labor. They were the only poor students and racked up a mountain of student loan debts.

Your words, not mine.

My deteriorating interest comes from the the wild west nature of it all and complete lack of competitive equity.  I would loose interest in pro sports if only the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, Bears, Cowboys, Lakers, Knicks and Bulls won.

In the NBA 2 teams (Celtics and Lakers) have 46% of the national championships. 5 teams have 68.9% of the national championships. The NBA also consistently goes through periods where one or 2 teams dominates the league for multiple championships in a short period of time (Warriors 15 to Present, Whatever Team Lebron was on 07-20, Spurs 07-14, Lakers 00-10, Bulls 91-98, Lakers 80-91, Celtics 81-87, Celtics 57-76, Lakers 62-73, Lakers 49-54). College basketball has a long way to go before they get to that level of lack of competitiveness.

You're right about college football, it's always been boring.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:26:20 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »
I'd say it is more like an unpaid apprentice than Slave labor

Not saying it is right either way just that "slave" comes with a lot of other baggage
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2022, 04:56:03 PM »
I'd say it is more like an unpaid apprentice than Slave labor

Not saying it is right either way just that "slave" comes with a lot of other baggage
This is a dead hoarse.

"Slave" is completely wrong. That is like calling the Boston Marathon the Baton Death March.

"Unpaid" or "Free" labor are only used by lazy or dishonest people. These athletes were far from uncompensated. Now, honest people can discuss if the compensation was adequate or fair.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2022, 05:39:18 PM »
This is a dead hoarse.

"Slave" is completely wrong. That is like calling the Boston Marathon the Baton Death March.

"Unpaid" or "Free" labor are only used by lazy or dishonest people. These athletes were far from uncompensated. Now, honest people can discuss if the compensation was adequate or fair.

Of coarse
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2022, 12:27:48 PM »
Lane Kiffin...voice of reason.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/25/lane-kiffin-nil-recruiting-boosters-nick-saban

I agree with Kiffen on most of this but the donors aren’t a bottomless pit of money as he suggests in my opinion.  Although there is some pride on Saturday when your team wins after you have purchased players services, the donors don’t own anything like NFL owners who see the value of their franchises increase yearly.  Donors get zero return except for satisfaction.  I don’t think that’s enough to sustain millions of dollars worth of contributions to NIL yearly.  It’s like flushing big money down the toilet and I assume these people aren’t stupid.

Sporadic big money contributions I get.  Sustained?  Not so much.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2022, 01:29:27 PM »
I agree with Kiffen on most of this but the donors aren’t a bottomless pit of money as he suggests in my opinion.  Although there is some pride on Saturday when your team wins after you have purchased players services, the donors don’t own anything like NFL owners who see the value of their franchises increase yearly.  Donors get zero return except for satisfaction.  I don’t think that’s enough to sustain millions of dollars worth of contributions to NIL yearly.  It’s like flushing big money down the toilet and I assume these people aren’t stupid.

Sporadic big money contributions I get.  Sustained?  Not so much.

This has been my suspicion as well, starting out with huge splashes but how many years will some boosters keep the spend up there?

panda

• All American
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2022, 01:33:57 PM »
This has been my suspicion as well, starting out with huge splashes but how many years will some boosters keep the spend up there?

Yep - how willing will boosters be to contribute when a few of their kids transfer ? How long will Miami continue to pay large sums of money to guys like Nijel Pack?  who is nowhere near a top end talent.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2022, 01:45:31 PM »
Yep - how willing will boosters be to contribute when a few of their kids transfer ? How long will Miami continue to pay large sums of money to guys like Nijel Pack?  who is nowhere near a top end talent.

I'd be interested to see how these NIL contracts are written for this very reason.  For instance, Dawson Garcia's deal with that seafood place or whatever it was - he played for UNC for two months, took a leave of absence, and then transferred.  If his contract was a longer-term deal, or even just the season, and they paid him any money up front, would he (or could he) pay them back?

You'd hope that everyone saw this as a potential issue and the players just do one-time endorsements, events, etc., and aren't under some long term obligation. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2022, 02:00:26 PM »
Here is a real life example:

Our company operates in some Markets where the local community goes ga-ga over the P5 Teams . People who didn’t go to the school or frankly never went to any college live and die for these teams .

So for business reasons we found it was worth supporting these programs . Our Customers and Employees loved that we were associated . Half of our dollars went to the coaches charities .

Now the charity dollars instead go to NIL football and basketball. About 20 kids total.

2 kids we sponsored on one team went into the portal this spring. It doesn’t really matter because we are really backing the school brand .We will just sponsor a new crop of kids .

Total dollars spent are roughly mid 5 digits between both on NIL. Then another 5 digits in total in general  promotional spending with the school .We will keep spending since it’s part of our strategy .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2022, 02:21:36 PM »

Our company operates in some Markets where the local community goes ga-ga over the P5 Teams . People who didn’t go to the school or frankly never went to any college live and die for these teams .

So for business reasons we found it was worth supporting these programs . Our Customers and Employees loved that we were associated . Half of our dollars went to the coaches charities .

Now the charity dollars instead go to NIL football and basketball. About 20 kids total.

2 kids we sponsored on one team went into the portal this spring. It doesn’t really matter because we are really backing the school brand .We will just sponsor a new crop of kids .

Total dollars spent are roughly mid 5 digits between both on NIL. Then another 5 digits in total in general  promotional spending with the school .We will keep spending since it’s part of our strategy .
Quick question, does your NIL go into a Collective, or are you setting up NIL's directly with the SA?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2022, 03:01:35 PM »
Quick question, does your NIL go into a Collective, or are you setting up NIL's directly with the SA?
We set up both with collectives because it enables us to co brand the University logos etc . Having our name associated with the school is what matters most to us .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »
We set up both with collectives because it enables us to co brand the University logos etc . Having our name associated with the school is what matters most to us .

That makes some sense.  Who the athletes are really doesn’t matter and probably has zero ROI for your business purposes.   The school brand is the most important factor.  Although that seems like athletes are making money off of a schools NIL.  Do you get to use the school logo on your advertisements?

panda

• All American
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2022, 03:39:57 PM »

Yep - my wife’s company allocates a significant amount of money to NIL deals as well.

I’m thinking more the individual boosters who finance specific players on the roster, not just the corporate “donation.” I could see some boosters becoming frustrated their money isn’t winning enough games or keeping players happy etc.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2022, 11:30:39 AM »

So much for the idea that there was all this unspent money waiting to be thrown at under paid players. The money comes at a cost to others (charities, facilities, coaches, non-football and basketball sports, etc.)

Not saying NIL is wrong, just need to accept the real consequences. And I realize many here knew this was going to happen and agree the funds belong to the football and basketball players, not others.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2022, 11:33:49 AM »
So much for the idea that there was all this unspent money waiting to be thrown at under paid players. The money comes at a cost to others (charities, facilities, coaches, non-football and basketball sports, etc.)

Not saying NIL is wrong, just need to accept the real consequences. And I realize many here knew this was going to happen and agree the funds belong to the football and basketball players, not others.

That's what 9-9-9's company has chosen to do. Maybe other companies haven't eliminated or reduced donations to charities. I don't know, and neither do you.

But sure, it's possible that NIL will come at a cost to others. That's life in the big city.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2022, 11:55:56 AM »

There was unspent money waiting to be thrown at underpaid players. There is also money that has been rerouted from other locations towards NIL.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 07, 2022, 09:54:49 AM »
College "general managers" in charge of NIL? Yep!

Duke just announced that it has hired Rachel Baker as GM to work with the men's basketball team. She spent 8 years with Nike and 1 with the NBA.

According to the school's press release, she will “specialize in helping players enhance their personal and professional skill sets, capitalize on strategic partnerships, including NIL opportunities, and work to support players in navigating the opportunities and challenges that come with being a student-athlete at the highest level."

Will Marquette hire somebody to do this?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2022, 10:21:11 AM »
College "general managers" in charge of NIL? Yep!

Duke just announced that it has hired Rachel Baker as GM to work with the men's basketball team. She spent 8 years with Nike and 1 with the NBA.

According to the school's press release, she will “specialize in helping players enhance their personal and professional skill sets, capitalize on strategic partnerships, including NIL opportunities, and work to support players in navigating the opportunities and challenges that come with being a student-athlete at the highest level."

Will Marquette hire somebody to do this?

To comply with Title IX would not Duke have to hire a GM for the women's basketball team?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2022, 10:34:40 AM »
To comply with Title IX would not Duke have to hire a GM for the women's basketball team?

No. She's not a student-athlete.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.