Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jay Wright  (Read 11287 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Jay Wright
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2022, 07:59:48 AM »
It seems to me that a large part of the respect and success of the ‘new’ Big East is due to the consistent success of Villanova. I can only view this as bad for the conference.

This, along with enjoying watching his teams play, is why I personally would like him to stick around a while longer. He's a great ambassador for the conference and has given real juice to the Big East with championships and Final Fours.

That said, if I had his money I would retire and never look back.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2022, 08:00:08 AM »
All the dinos in here sure do hope so
You got that right.  I am actually quite surprised that he retired, seemed to be enjoying himself and is at the top of his game.  Tough to find fault with anything about the guy.  Ambassador for the school, coached his players up, and won at the highest level, and hardly a trace of cheating.  I guess my wife and sisters will have to find a new coach to swoon over.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2022, 08:10:22 AM »
Here's a coach who brags 'bout da size of his Johnson, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2022, 08:19:50 AM »
Bad for the conference?  Maybe.  But it’s an opportunity for a new alpha to emerge
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2022, 08:30:37 AM »
Jay Wright hardly ever got it wrong. Wish him well.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2022, 08:39:53 AM »
The Big East should put Jay Wright’s name in front of its COY award or find some other way to honor him.  He saved the conference’s bacon in the first few years after Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, and others bolted and Marquette and Georgetown, who were supposed to step up as premiere teams, crapped the bed.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2022, 08:41:46 AM »
The Big East should put Jay Wright’s name in front of its COY award or find some other way to honor him.  He saved the conference’s bacon in the first few years after Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, and others bolted and Marquette and Georgetown, who were supposed to step up as premiere teams, crapped the bed.

I think it's weird enough to put active coaches in the HoF but naming an award after a living person?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2022, 09:08:27 AM »
Here's a coach who brags 'bout da size of his Johnson, hey?
Post of The Year
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2022, 09:32:14 AM »
Could not agree more. Also, while this has most likely been in the works for awhile, it’s a bit ironic that the decision comes after Nova was eliminated by a special-kind-of-corrupt coach and program. It’s almost like Jay is sticking it to the NCAA for their delayed action/inaction re the schools involved in the FBI probe.

Jay Wright retiring is "sticking it to the NCAA?" 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2022, 09:52:27 AM »
Jay Wright retiring is "sticking it to the NCAA?" 

It seems like a lot of people want this to be some sort of statement by Jay. Until I hear something compelling otherwise, I'm going to assume that Jay's statement in retiring is, "I feel like now is a good time to retire."

He was one of the greats. I hope he enjoys whatever comes next.

BTW, nice tribute from another Jay

That was an outstanding tribute.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2022, 09:53:21 AM »
Could not agree more. Also, while this has most likely been in the works for awhile, it’s a bit ironic that the decision comes after Nova was eliminated by a special-kind-of-corrupt coach and program. It’s almost like Jay is sticking it to the NCAA for their delayed action/inaction re the schools involved in the FBI probe.

"sticking it to the NCAA"???

I doubt the NCAA gives a chit about  Jay Wright or about his retirement.

The NCAA does what it does, with or without Jay Wright's approval.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »
It seems like a lot of people want this to be some sort of statement by Jay. Until I hear something compelling otherwise, I'm going to assume that Jay's statement in retiring is, "I feel like now is a good time to retire."

He was one of the greats. I hope he enjoys whatever comes next.

He may very well be unhappy where college sports is heading.  But him retiring, just like Roy Williams retiring last year, isn't changing anything. 

If people have a problem with the current landscape, they should look very closely at the NCAA and its member schools.  They dragged their feet for YEARS on this issue.  Despite public opinion not being behind them.  Despite the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit.  Despite numerous state governments passing NIL laws.  (Remember when Chicos said that the NCAA should just exclude California schools from its championships???) Their answer was to defend their model at all costs instead of reading the tea-leaves and finding a way to build a sensible, more controllable model.

And they failed.  The Emmert tenure has been an absolute DISASTER for the NCAA.  It seems like they have made every wrong decision when a key decision needed to be made.  Yet here we are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2022, 10:17:26 AM »
He may very well be unhappy where college sports is heading.

Yes. He may be. Counterpoint: he may not be. Personally, I have no idea.

I know TAMU says he's heard rumors, and perhaps those rumors are true. Until I hear something more, I'll choose to credit Jay's public statements.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2022, 11:19:23 AM »
It has been said before but I'll add my voice: Jay Wright is the dictionary definition of class.

He did his job extremely well.

He brought recognition and attention to Villanova -- in a great way.

He respected his peers, his players and those around the game.

His players graduated and he never cheated. He didn't have to!

He won with class and he lost with grace.

I found myself quietly rooting for 'Nova when Marquette was eliminated from the tournament. And when we defeated 'Nova, you know our guys had to work their backsides off, which made the win more satisfying.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2022, 11:20:39 AM »
It has been said before but I'll add my voice: Jay Wright is the dictionary definition of class.

He did his job extremely well.

He brought recognition and attention to Villanova -- in a great way.

He respected his peers, his players and those around the game.

His players graduated and he never cheated. He didn't have to!*

He won with class and he lost with grace.

I found myself quietly rooting for 'Nova when Marquette was eliminated from the tournament. And when we defeated 'Nova, you know our guys had to work their backsides off, which made the win more satisfying.

*that we know of

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2022, 11:47:39 AM »

And they failed.  The Emmert tenure has been an absolute DISASTER for the NCAA.  It seems like they have made every wrong decision when a key decision needed to be made.  Yet here we are.

Finally ... the correct usage of "disaster"! The NCAA had numerous chances to get in front of this, get some control, make some rules. But they fought it at every turn because they wanted to keep 100% of the money and power going to the already rich and powerful. And now here we are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2022, 12:23:08 PM »
Finally ... the correct usage of "disaster"! The NCAA had numerous chances to get in front of this, get some control, make some rules. But they fought it at every turn because they wanted to keep 100% of the money and power going to the already rich and powerful. And now here we are.
What sort of rules do you think the NCAA would need to make?

Here's a pretty good recap of where NIL is at the moment

https://www.ropesgray.com/en/newsroom/alerts/2022/March/NCAA-NIL-Update-With-a-Semester-of-NIL-Opportunities-in-the-Books-Trends-Emerge-and-Confusion-Reigns

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »
To clarify my earlier point, I don't think Jay Wright is against NIL and I don't think he's making a statement. But I do think that he was not personally interested in playing the NIL game and it accelerated his retirement. Looking at my original post, I phrased it poorly and see how it came off. Management regrets the error.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2022, 01:59:19 PM »
To clarify my earlier point, I don't think Jay Wright is against NIL and I don't think he's making a statement. But I do think that he was not personally interested in playing the NIL game and it accelerated his retirement. Looking at my original post, I phrased it poorly and see how it came off. Management regrets the error.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
What sort of rules do you think the NCAA would need to make?

Horse is out of the barn. They had their chance and they blew it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2022, 03:08:59 PM »
Horse is out of the barn. They had their chance and they blew it.
I would argue that no matter what "rule" they tried to make, it would have been challenged. Leave it up to state or federal government to enact the law.

mutodd5

• Walk-On
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2022, 03:12:53 PM »
Shaka with a lifetime career winning percentage of 1.000 against Jay Wright. Hang a banner.

My thoughts exactly!  Jay realized he couldn't beat Shaka!

In all seriousness, Jay is a class act on all levels.  Gracious in victory and respectful in defeat.  I always found myself pulling for Villanova as a representative of the Big East in the NCAA tournament in spite of the fact that my wife is a North Carolina alum.

It's a loss for the game of college basketball and the Big East, but it means that Shaka has an opportunity to stamp his program atop the Big East.  He overachieved my expectations in year 1 with 10 new players.  The future looks bright without having to face Jay Wright! :)

Viper

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »
I would argue that no matter what "rule" they tried to make, it would have been challenged. Leave it up to state or federal government to enact the law.
more govt? Ah…noooooo!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2022, 03:14:18 PM »
more govt? Ah…noooooo!
The NCAA makes the federal government look accurate and efficient.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2022, 09:49:59 AM »
There is a picture and video on the internet of Jay Wright and his golden retreiver enjoying "Bark at the Park" night at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia for a Phillies game. I don't have the technical skills to post it here, but it's a cool picture/video if you're interested.