[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2023?  (Read 81602 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2022, 04:56:45 PM »
Odd review coming from "Wags."  Sort of like Mort Sahl playing Carnegie and then complaining that the audience was full of New Yorkers.  Or something.

At least my namesake is consistent

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2022, 05:34:02 PM »
Started the rewatch of S5 Better Call Saul as well. Such an outstanding show.

And for any Breaking Bad fans that gave up on it too early, I strongly suggest giving it another go as it has really has ramped up the tension and intensity in a similar way.

Also, I’m way late on this but finally started What We Do In The Shadows. Brilliant stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2022, 10:52:47 PM »
Didn't know the S6 opener actually was gonna be a 2 1/2-hour long double episode (w/commercials, because I watched it live on the AMC app). That was a marathon ... but I'm still glad as hell that I watched it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2022, 08:31:25 AM »
Started the rewatch of S5 Better Call Saul as well. Such an outstanding show.

And for any Breaking Bad fans that gave up on it too early, I strongly suggest giving it another go as it has really has ramped up the tension and intensity in a similar way.

Also, I’m way late on this but finally started What We Do In The Shadows. Brilliant stuff.

WWDITS is fantastic. If you haven't seen it, check out the 2014 movie that inspired the show. It was my introduction to Taika Waititi and is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. My wife and I both laughed breathlessly throughout. Just hysterical.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
Anyone not watching BCS should just kick their own ass for missing out on greatness.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2022, 10:57:44 PM »
Does boardwalk empire get better?  I'm 4 episodes in, and it's not catching my interest at all.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2022, 10:08:57 AM »
Does boardwalk empire get better?  I'm 4 episodes in, and it's not catching my interest at all.

Yes, at its peak its in that second tier of great HBO shows just behind The Wire and Sopranos.  The middle of the series is far better than the first season or two, IMO.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2022, 12:23:52 PM »
Yes, at its peak its in that second tier of great HBO shows just behind The Wire and Sopranos.  The middle of the series is far better than the first season or two, IMO.

Endorse.  It's a shame they had to cut the series short.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2022, 01:49:06 PM »
2 episodes into both "They Call Me Magic" on AppleTV+ and "Winning Time" on HBO.  Had heard good things about "Winning Time," I think it's just okay.  I think "They Call Me Magic" is awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2022, 03:51:37 PM »
Just finished Season 5 of Snowfall. It was even better than the first 4 seasons.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2022, 10:24:21 PM »
Just finished Season 5 of Snowfall. It was even better than the first 4 seasons.

Great season!  Such a good show.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2022, 10:41:35 PM »
Great season!  Such a good show.

1st four seasons were really, really good. Season 5 was great.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2022, 11:07:01 PM »
Halfway through Mrs. Maisel Season 4 and IMO, its been by far the weakest season.  Some hilarious moments to be sure and Tony Shahloub is on FIRE, but its just been kind of bizarre and dragging at points.  My wife and I BLEW through the previous 3 seasons and we're not in any hurry with this one.

Just finished .. I thought the same thing for the first few episodes.  But .. I found the final ~3 episodes to be .. funny and relatively riveting.  Just finished.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2022, 10:24:16 AM »
Curious about what and why people subscribe to streaming platforms. After all the Netflix hubbub this week, thinking about cutting some subscriptions out of my life. So what do you pay for and why? Here's mine:

Disney+: Marvel, Star Wars Universe, PJ Masks, Disney movies, Pixar
Amazon Prime: The Boys, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Invincible, Wheel of Time, upcoming Lord of the Rings
Apple TV: Ted Lasso
Netflix: Cobra Kai, Stranger Things, Cocomelon
HBOMax: DC Movies, Peacemaker, Game of Thrones content, Sesame Street

Recently cancelled:

Paramount+: USA Soccer, Halo
Peacock: Nothing interested me much, hence cancelled.

So before I cancel Apple and Netflix (maybe after Stranger Things next season) are there other reasons to keep these?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2022, 10:29:57 AM »
Curious about what and why people subscribe to streaming platforms. After all the Netflix hubbub this week, thinking about cutting some subscriptions out of my life. So what do you pay for and why? Here's mine:

Amazon Prime: The Boys, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Invincible, Wheel of Time, upcoming Lord of the Rings

Recently cancelled:

So before I cancel Apple and Netflix (maybe after Stranger Things next season) are there other reasons to keep these?

Good discussion.

Apple TV: Ted Lasso and They Call Me Magic (just a 4 part series, so no need to keep it just for that, but worth the price of one month just to watch it)
Also watched and will continue to watch The Morning Show, but wouldn't keep it just for that
Netflix: I watch Ozarks but kind of hate watch it honestly.  Otherwise watch some random murder mystery docu series as they pop up.
HBOMax: Friends, The Wire
Also watch Succession, but wouldn't keep it just for that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2022, 10:51:09 AM »

Recently cancelled:

I'll go to bat for Apple TV. Think the service is better than people recognize.

For All Mankind is the best show on the platform (season two was outrageously good). Severance is a close second. I'm enjoying Ptolemy Grey and Pachinko right now. Also, for lighter fare, Mythic Quest, Trying, and Acapulco were good. Dr. Brain is from Korea and not for everyone but some wild moral questioning in that show.

Lincoln's Dilemma was a good four part docuseries. And the nature shows, Tiny World and Earth at Night, were ridiculously beautiful. Plus it has the Peanuts gang so that is handy October to December.

Wolfwalkers and Coda are both dynamite movies.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2022, 11:02:02 AM »
I'll go to bat for Apple TV. Think the service is better than people recognize.

For All Mankind is the best show on the platform (season two was outrageously good). Severance is a close second. I'm enjoying Ptolemy Grey and Pachinko right now. Also, for lighter fare, Mythic Quest, Trying, and Acapulco were good. Dr. Brain is from Korea and not for everyone but some wild moral questioning in that show.

Lincoln's Dilemma was a good four part docuseries. And the nature shows, Tiny World and Earth at Night, were ridiculously beautiful. Plus it has the Peanuts gang so that is handy October to December.

Wolfwalkers and Coda are both dynamite movies.

Co-sign.  Its a lot more than Ted Lasso, and I adore Ted Lasso.

In addition to what you said, Suspicion was good. The Morning Show is good to great depending on the episode.  WeCrashed is excellent.  I just started Slow Horses (Gary Oldman, Jack Lowden, Kristin Scott Thomas, and others...loaded cast) and its FANTASTIC.

As for movies, beyond CODA which was sublime, The Banker, Tragedy of Macbeth, and Swan Song are all quite good.

They've got tons of great programming.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2022, 11:09:25 AM »

Recently cancelled:

Ive got some sort of access to like all platforms. Some is password sharing, most are due to packages bulking things together(Hulu/Disney/Espn+ for example and Peacock coming free with some cable or internet services).

Obviously most of the platforms have old movies that can be watched at any time. Id say HBO max is the best with their deals. Prime/Netflix/Hulu seem to rotate the same movies(ex. The Departed is on Hulu and leaves at the end of February, most likely pops up on prime in March)

HBO Max(quickly becoming the crown jewel imo): All the old HBO shows which is peak TV(wire, sopranos, GOT etc). Stuff like Barry, Gemstones, Peacemaker, Succession now. Great movie deals through WB

Prime: The boys and invincible are worth it alone. Those are the main shows I watch. But other fun shows like Jack Reacher and Jack Ryan. Solid prime prime orginals.

Hulu: Only murders in the building for TV really. Otherwise utilize it for next day viewing of cable shows. Have it cause its packaged.

Netflix. Ozark and Stranger things. Fading fast without those two. Lot of netflix original movies makes it worth it still. But lack of a studio deal like Max and Prime have will have netflix cancelled post ST and OZark if they crackdown on pricing/PW sharing.

Peacock. Nothing. Have cuase its free and watch a movie on there if i happen to see its on peacock and its been a while or never seen it and no other service has it.

Apple. Getting some Tv traction. Ted Lasso for me. Severance sounds good. But not worth it. Some big time oscar type studio releases(looking forward to Leo/Scorscese team up) but Apple has an awful movie selection cause they dont have deals to watch old movies like the other servcies.

Disney. Marvel or bust.

Paramount. Mostly Survivor. Movie selection is limited but different from the rest so not bad. Starting to create original shows but nothing worth it yet

For me. HBO and Prime are the must have. Cream of the crop in terms of being well rounded. Netflix is still a must have, but has the potential to fall completely apart. Rest expendable and have them due to access.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2022, 11:14:51 AM »
Honestly, the biggest barrier to me getting rid of Netflix is Cocomelon. It might just be mindless songs, but if I need an hour where the toddler doesn't bother me, putting on Cocomelon is a guarantee that I can make dinner or get some laundry done or whatever. It's like toddler heroin without the withdrawal symptoms. Put it on, they zone out.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2022, 11:27:08 AM »
Arby's is featured on food that built America this week.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »
Honestly, the biggest barrier to me getting rid of Netflix is Cocomelon. It might just be mindless songs, but if I need an hour where the toddler doesn't bother me, putting on Cocomelon is a guarantee that I can make dinner or get some laundry done or whatever. It's like toddler heroin without the withdrawal symptoms. Put it on, they zone out.

Yes, my grandkids are addicted to Cocomelon. Maybe ask a set of grandparents that they make a year of NFLX part of their next BD or Xmas present to their adorable grandkids!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2022, 11:54:57 AM »
Hulu/Peacock free with cell/cable.
Pay for and share Amazon (but really just for the Prime shipping), Netflix, ESPN+
Share and sometimes chip in for HBO, Paramount, Disney, and sometimes Apple with family.

Kids-
Disney gets used the most for just about everything.
Paramount for Paw Patrol.
HBO for Sesame Street.
A little here and there on Netflix.

Adults-
Paramount, Peacock, and a little ESPN+ for soccer.
We eventually catch most of the Marvel and some of the Star Wars stuff on Disney.
Whatever shows and movies we're watching usually switches between HBO, Netflix, and Hulu.
Almost never watch something on Amazon or Apple.

We've been using Netflix less, and with prices going up regularly, I may ditch that once we're not actively watching something there.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2022, 11:58:14 AM »

The one show I just could not stand. I've hidden it from our Kids profile.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2022, 12:42:30 PM »
The one show I just could not stand. I've hidden it from our Kids profile.

I was right there with you until Grandma let her watch it a couple times and I realized how much I could get done when it's on. Pop in an ear bud and a podcast and productivity can commence.

But I do not blame you at all...especially because it recycles the same songs over and over. It's a combination of awful and yet gloriously effective.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2022, 01:33:50 PM »
Arby's is featured on food that built America this week.

Ha!  The Scoop sponsored episode?
I'm like 3 episodes behind.  They've had quite a number of Connecticut stories this season.

The Schlitz vs. Pabst episode was fascinating and how Milwaukee beer came to be the major beer player.

feedback