[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2023?  (Read 81566 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2022, 11:34:17 AM »
People have paid for paramount+?

Champions & Europa League plus Paw Patrol. Gets used in our house more than most streaming services.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2022, 07:18:49 PM »
Stranger things S4 trailer out

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2022, 09:18:09 AM »
Severance

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2022, 09:26:17 AM »
Almost done re-watching S5 of Better Call Saul in advance of S6 premier Monday.

What a show.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2022, 09:33:28 AM »
Anyone watch Suspicion on Apple+?  My wife and I enjoyed it.  I thought the ending was a bit weak, but it was pretty engaging for the majority.  My BIL usually has great taste in TV and he dragged it, said he couldn't get through 2 episodes, so YMMV.

Unrelated, I loved Breaking Bad.  Watched it twice.  But yet I never was able to get into BCS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2022, 09:42:17 AM »
Anyone watch Suspicion on Apple+?  My wife and I enjoyed it.  I thought the ending was a bit weak, but it was pretty engaging for the majority.  My BIL usually has great taste in TV and he dragged it, said he couldn't get through 2 episodes, so YMMV.

Unrelated, I loved Breaking Bad.  Watched it twice.  But yet I never was able to get into BCS.

Better Call Saul really grew on me over time. I definitely didn't love it at first, but I think each succeeding season got better, and I enjoyed S5 as much as any season of any series in awhile. The last two episodes we've watched, 7 and 8, were some great television IMHO.

My wife really doesn't like BCS nearly as much as I do. That's why there's a bazillion shows - something for everybody. But she had to admit that these last 2 episodes were terrific, and I think she's now looking forward to S6.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2022, 09:59:04 AM »
Almost done re-watching S5 of Better Call Saul in advance of S6 premier Monday.

What a show.

I cranked out my S5 rewatch in like 3 days last week.

That is a show that fully holds up on the rewatch. Hell of a refresher for next week too.

Cannot wait.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2022, 10:00:12 AM »
Also, the actress who plays Kim in BCS better get some damn Emmy recognition finally.

Christ is she good.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2022, 10:34:32 AM »
Severance

Severance is the best show I've seen in quite some time. Unique premise and executed flawlessly.

Only drawback is it's on Apple TV+, which nobody has. I am desperately trying to find people to talk to about this show.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2022, 11:03:31 AM »
Severance is the best show I've seen in quite some time. Unique premise and executed flawlessly.

Only drawback is it's on Apple TV+, which nobody has. I am desperately trying to find people to talk to about this show.

Seriously?  I know tons of people who have it.  Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Trying, Mythic Quest, Mr Corman, etc...  Its not like its a one off show.  Plus a bunch of movies.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »
Seriously?  I know tons of people who have it.  Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Trying, Mythic Quest, Mr Corman, etc...  Its not like its a one off show.  Plus a bunch of movies.

I suppose I forgot about Ted Lasso. Maybe I am friends with the wrong people but Apple TV+ seems to be the least widely used streaming service out of the major ones out there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2022, 12:00:04 PM »
I suppose I forgot about Ted Lasso. Maybe I am friends with the wrong people but Apple TV+ seems to be the least widely used streaming service out of the major ones out there.

I guess it all depends.  I feel like Netflix and HBOMax are most common.  Then it depends.  I feel like people who watch a lot of network TV or love rewatching syndicated shows tend towards Hulu.  Otherwise, Apple+ and others are used.

Speaking of Netflix, everyone knows Money Heist, but Netflix's Spanish production (Spain the country specifically) and library has been STELLAR.  They've used the HBO approach where they have a stable of actors/actresses who pop up in various shows.  Ive watched Elite, Minions of Midas, and Sky High.  They also distribute Toy Boy and Unauthorized Living which are really good as well.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2022, 12:38:26 PM »
I guess it all depends.  I feel like Netflix and HBOMax are most common.  Then it depends.  I feel like people who watch a lot of network TV or love rewatching syndicated shows tend towards Hulu.  Otherwise, Apple+ and others are used.
Per eMarketer, share of total time spent streaming in Q3 2021 by app:

21% - Netflix
17% - YouTube
14% - Hulu
5.4% - Amazon Prime
4.6% - Sling
4.5% - Disney+
3.7% - HBO Max

0.7% - Apple TV (19th out of Top 20)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2022, 12:41:35 PM »

21% - Netflix
17% - YouTube
14% - Hulu
5.4% - Amazon Prime
4.6% - Sling
4.5% - Disney+
3.7% - HBO Max

I would have figured Disney+ to be higher. Everyone I know uses it. Maybe I need new friends.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2022, 12:45:58 PM »
Definitely pumped for BCS next week.

Finally getting around to watching Ozark as well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2022, 12:50:26 PM »

21% - Netflix
17% - YouTube
14% - Hulu
5.4% - Amazon Prime
4.6% - Sling
4.5% - Disney+
3.7% - HBO Max

I know more people who have illegally streamed Ted Lasso than I know people who have AppleTV
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2022, 01:37:31 PM »

21% - Netflix
17% - YouTube
14% - Hulu
5.4% - Amazon Prime
4.6% - Sling
4.5% - Disney+
3.7% - HBO Max

Time streaming is a bit deceiving though.  HBO Max and Apple+ dont have syndicated series with hundreds of episodes, that alone will boost other numbers.  5 subscribers watching a 10 episode season of Ted Lasso amounts to the same amount of time as a user watching a network drama on Hulu.  Same with HBOMax (though the library is a bit more robust)

I'm not at all saying Apple+ is close to the others (roughly 20-25MM subscribers Ive seen, though that may be a bit generous), but I think its a diff kind of platform.

I know substantially more Apple+ subscribers in my 25-39 demo than I do in my parents 50+ demo, which is very Netflix/Hulu heavy

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2022, 02:25:27 PM »
We just re-subscribed to Apple+ a couple weeks ago to introduce my 85-year-old mother (who is visiting) to Ted Lasso. She loved it. We'll likely cancel at the end of the month and will re-subscribe when the release the next season.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2022, 02:59:23 PM »
Also, the actress who plays Kim in BCS better get some damn Emmy recognition finally.

Christ is she good.

Rhea Seehorn. Yes, excellent.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2022, 04:32:57 PM »
I know substantially more Apple+ subscribers in my 25-39 demo than I do in my parents 50+ demo, which is very Netflix/Hulu heavy

This sounds accurate, probably because a lot of people in that age range still pay for cable. My parents think having streaming accounts beyond Netflix and Hulu is excessive, yet they are currently paying for two separate cable contracts.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2022, 11:39:40 AM »
So I began watching Severence.  3 episodes in.  The premise is intriguing.  The cast is brilliant...but the show is just unsettling.  Like I enjoy it, but it just makes me very uneasy to the point that its not a fun watch.  Its...odd.

In a different vein, not since Nip/Tuck has a show I enjoyed completely lost the plot and become terrible like Billions had.  I knew it would be a bit different without Damien Lewis, but holy hell its just become AWFUL.  I used to look forward to it every week, and now after this season, I may be out completely.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2022, 11:51:58 AM »
So I began watching Severence.  3 episodes in.  The premise is intriguing.  The cast is brilliant...but the show is just unsettling.  Like I enjoy it, but it just makes me very uneasy to the point that its not a fun watch.  Its...odd.

In a different vein, not since Nip/Tuck has a show I enjoyed completely lost the plot and become terrible like Billions had.  I knew it would be a bit different without Damien Lewis, but holy hell its just become AWFUL.  I used to look forward to it every week, and now after this season, I may be out completely.

I agree on Billions. Unrealistic story lines and character turns, plus some bad acting really changed the tone of the show.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2022, 12:33:54 PM »
I agree on Billions. Unrealistic story lines and character turns, plus some bad acting really changed the tone of the show.

Chuck Rhoades went from an interesting, flawed but dynamic character, to an obnoxious caricature who is beyond unlikeable.

And totally agree about the acting.  Asia Kate Dillon is very talented, but they went from being exceptional to chewing the scenery every episode and being overly brooding or whatever. 

And the dialogue?  It went from fast but clever and punchy to overly heavy handed and corny.  Every conversation with Chuck or Mike Pence and Scooter has way too many obscure references or metaphors that sound like the person at the party who is referencing niche anecdotes to seem enlightened.   There used to be a couple a show that were great, but now its 10 per 15 min.  Its awful

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2022, 02:02:15 PM »
Chuck Rhoades went from an interesting, flawed but dynamic character, to an obnoxious caricature who is beyond unlikeable.

And totally agree about the acting.  Asia Kate Dillon is very talented, but they went from being exceptional to chewing the scenery every episode and being overly brooding or whatever. 

And the dialogue?  It went from fast but clever and punchy to overly heavy handed and corny.  Every conversation with Chuck or Mike Pence and Scooter has way too many obscure references or metaphors that sound like the person at the party who is referencing niche anecdotes to seem enlightened.   There used to be a couple a show that were great, but now its 10 per 15 min.  Its awful

Tried to be way too clever.

Part of the allure of watching a show for 5 years or more is getting to know the characters; becoming keenly aware of what they would be expected to do in any situation that comes up. Billions did that for the first 5 years. This year it was just random.

A great example would be Sacker. Went directly from being a do-gooder who was appalled at things her dad had done, to openly defending and working for bad purposes. No gradual change driven by events - just a 180 over an episode or two.

The greatness of succession is that the characters are who they are. They don't change from episode to episode. Change is slow. When Kendall broke down at the end of last season, it was completely what we would expect the character he created to do. That no longer applies to any character on Billions.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2022, 04:29:45 PM »

Odd review coming from "Wags."  Sort of like Mort Sahl playing Carnegie and then complaining that the audience was full of New Yorkers.  Or something.