[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 91246 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #325 on: July 10, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »
I hated the last 20 minutes. I don't want to post spoilers

I didn't hate the ending at all. I won't post spoilers, either, but there were a couple moments in there I actually loved. But it's OK to disagree.

anyone watching The Old Man on Hulu with Jeff Bridges and Lithgow?

Yep. We're one episode behind now, but we've really liked it. The two leads are excellent, which shouldn't surprise anybody, and the story line is interesting. It does take a few leaps of faith -- for instance, Bridges is about 1,000 years old but he keeps beating up young'uns. Lots of programs have that kind of stuff, though, so I just chuckle and move on.

Hustle. Just a good, entertaining sports movie.

We just watched it tonight and totally agree. Lots of laughs, a bazillion cameos, and some nice performances. Adam Sandler went quite awhile without doing anything worth watching but Hustle and Uncut Gems were both winners.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2022, 07:07:01 AM »
I've been watching Severance with my daughter. That's a weird freaking show. We're enjoying it.

One question (no spoilers, please): is there any meaningful resolution at the end of S1? Six episodes in I don't see how there will be, but then again shows aren't guaranteed a second season so I don't think they'd leave it completely unresolved.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #327 on: July 11, 2022, 10:03:08 AM »
I've been watching Severance with my daughter. That's a weird freaking show. We're enjoying it.

One question (no spoilers, please): is there any meaningful resolution at the end of S1? Six episodes in I don't see how there will be, but then again shows aren't guaranteed a second season so I don't think they'd leave it completely unresolved.

Not sure what your standard for resolution would be but there are a couple of things that drop that will surprise.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #328 on: July 11, 2022, 10:17:55 AM »
Not sure what your standard for resolution would be but there are a couple of things that drop that will surprise.

Yea just wait.  The last 2 episodes have a couple huge "oh wow" bits

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2022, 11:42:54 AM »
Must have been some really, really bad life choices if the 'trip of a lifetime' is to Milwaukee. :-\

I like Milwaukee and go often, but...
You must not hang around too much with people of limited means.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2022, 11:56:21 AM »
About halfway through The Boys, hard to find time these days. Hoping to get to Stranger Things S4 after that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2022, 12:36:01 PM »
Hoping to get to Stranger Things S4 after that.
No need to hurry. Apparently, they will begin writing in August, with a release date some time in 2024.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2022, 12:56:25 PM »
Must have been some really, really bad life choices if the 'trip of a lifetime' is to Milwaukee. :-\

I like Milwaukee and go often, but...

That was a thought I had initially.  But then I figured it might not have been a "dream trip" but the only time he was gonna do something kind of cool?

You must not hang around too much with people of limited means.

This made me think of my friend who talks about his 2nd cousins on the South Side of Chicago.  He grew up in Raveswood but they were in Englewood/Auburn Gresham area.  They came to visit him in Old Town in their mid 20s and it was the second time in their lives they had been downtown.  The other was a school field trip.  They'd also never been served by a waitress at a table before.

So yea, I guess I can sort of understand it, as bleak as it seems.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #333 on: July 11, 2022, 02:00:24 PM »
That was a thought I had initially.  But then I figured it might not have been a "dream trip" but the only time he was gonna do something kind of cool?

This made me think of my friend who talks about his 2nd cousins on the South Side of Chicago.  He grew up in Raveswood but they were in Englewood/Auburn Gresham area.  They came to visit him in Old Town in their mid 20s and it was the second time in their lives they had been downtown.  The other was a school field trip.  They'd also never been served by a waitress at a table before.

So yea, I guess I can sort of understand it, as bleak as it seems.

My wife's family all live within 20 minutes of each other in the middle of Long Island. Three sets of aunts and uncles, a single aunt, and a dozen or so cousins. Besides one of her uncles serving in Vietnam, one of her cousins whose taken a few trips, her aunt going to Atlanta for the world series once (won the tickets on the radio), and one other uncle/aunt going on one trip to Vegas, the whole lot of them have never left Long Island. I'm not entirely sure that they have gone beyond the 30 minute radius of their homes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 02:47:09 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #334 on: July 11, 2022, 02:36:18 PM »
I have a high school classmate who posted on FB about her and her husband's first ever plane trip...two months ago to Florida. Before that trip, she had never been to a state that didn't border Wisconsin, and even then only a handful of times.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2022, 02:43:00 PM »
I have a high school classmate who posted on FB about her and her husband's first ever plane trip...two months ago to Florida. Before that trip, she had never been to a state that didn't border Wisconsin, and even then only a handful of times.
Googled this, but I don't get the math here:

https://www.marthastewart.com/8178528/new-survey-16-percent-americans-never-leave-home-state-2021

A new survey conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Little Passports reveals that 14 percent of United States residents have never traveled outside of the country and 16 percent have never left their home state at all.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2022, 02:52:46 PM »

This is normally associated with lack of means, understandably, but not always.  Which is always extra fascinating to me.

One of my college buddies was from Orange County.  Met one of his friends when I went to visit him in LA a few years ago.  Said friend drove a Porsche Cayman his dad bought him after college.  His dad owned a couple machining businesses and drove a Bentley.  Family had a pair of side by side Vegas condos in a gorgeous new building.  He and his parents both lived in 7 figure houses near Irvine.  I was talking to him one time about 3 years ago and he mentioned he was going to stay with a buddy of his that moved to Florida...and it would be his first time on a plane...as a fairly spoiled 28 year old.  I was stunned.

But then again, one of my sister's good friends.  Parents are very affluent.  She's an only child.  They have 3-4 homes around the US. Ohio, Vermont, Florida, and Colorado I believe.  They travel between them fairly regularly as they are retired.  Said friend got married in Italy and her parents had to get their FIRST PASSPORTS OF THEIR LIFE.  Cause they only time they had left the country previously was cruises where they hadn't needed one.  Never to Canada, never to Cancun, never to an island.  Wild

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2022, 02:53:19 PM »
We traveled a little bit when I was a kid, but I do still find it kind of funny that every day I go to an office that is farther from my house than I ever went probably 99%+ of my life until I was about 18. And I don't live very far from work...just 11 miles. But if you draw a circle around my childhood home with a radius of 11 miles, I would go months and months at a time without ever leaving that circle. I walked to school pretty much my entire life (never more than about .75 mile) but my kids went to HS 13 miles from our house. Living in a small town really was different. I'm amazed by people who live in or near cities (like TAMU's in-laws) and never leave their neighborhood. I still meet people who have lived in Cleveland their entire lives who rarely cross the Cuyahoga River -- West-siders and East-siders who stay on their side.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
Googled this, but I don't get the math here:

https://www.marthastewart.com/8178528/new-survey-16-percent-americans-never-leave-home-state-2021

A new survey conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Little Passports reveals that 14 percent of United States residents have never traveled outside of the country and 16 percent have never left their home state at all.

38% of Americans have never had a passport.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/travel/articles-reports/2021/04/21/only-one-third-americans-have-valid-us-passport

Now that doesn't mean they haven't left the country, but yeah I think that 14% figure is a little too low.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2022, 03:15:26 PM »

But then again, one of my sister's good friends.  Parents are very affluent.  She's an only child.  They have 3-4 homes around the US. Ohio, Vermont, Florida, and Colorado I believe.  They travel between them fairly regularly as they are retired.  Said friend got married in Italy and her parents had to get their FIRST PASSPORTS OF THEIR LIFE.  Cause they only time they had left the country previously was cruises where they hadn't needed one.  Never to Canada, never to Cancun, never to an island.  Wild

For most of their lives, they didn't need a passport for Canada or Mexico. I only had a passport because I did a lot of foreign travel for work. There are so many things to do and places to see in this country that I never had a desire for world travel.

But I start to go nuts if I even go 6 months without taking a long trip. Very few people that I worked with ever took vacations. They used their time off to work around the house or to visit family - never just to hop in the car and go for a couple weeks.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2022, 03:16:48 PM »
I worked in a St. Paul suburb in the late 80's. We had a case going to court in Mnpls. and our boss thought we should attend. My co-worker that lived in St. Paul since returning from Vietnam let me drive because he "hadn't been to Mnpls. in at least 10 years" while I visited almost weekly.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #341 on: July 11, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »
I never leave the suburbs
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #342 on: July 11, 2022, 03:54:09 PM »
38% of Americans have never had a passport.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/travel/articles-reports/2021/04/21/only-one-third-americans-have-valid-us-passport

Now that doesn't mean they haven't left the country, but yeah I think that 14% figure is a little too low.
Yeah that quote has to be off. 14% haven't left the country, 16% haven't left their state. More people have left the country than their state, but don't you have to leave your state in order to leave the country?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2022, 03:57:26 PM »
There is an independent film that got a lot of buzz at the film festivals called "Small Town Wisconsin".  It's filmed entirely in America's Dairyland.  It was filmed in 2020, but its distribution was delayed by Covid.  It's about a guy living in the Northwoods who has made a series of bad life choices and lost custody of his son.  He decides to take him on a trip of a lifetime to Milwaukee that includes a Brewers game and the Wisconsin State Fair.

It's playing on all the streaming services.  I highly recommend it.

I think many dismiss the wonder of our own back yards. You see my wife had never seen any of the great lakes so when I brought my wife to Marquette for a reunion she was just awe struck at the size of Lake Michigan. When The Marquette Choir visited New York they were all quit excited to see the Statue of Liberty but for me as I have lost count going to Liberty Island so many times it was no big deal. Visiting the City is no big deal for me, however I am not a tourist, but maybe just once I should take the Circle Line around Manhattan which I have never done and maybe I just might appreciate what is under my nose just a little more.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »
Yeah that quote has to be off. 14% haven't left the country, 16% haven't left their state. More people have left the country than their state, but don't you have to leave your state in order to leave the country?

The difference is the people who live in New Mexico.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2022, 04:34:35 PM »
I think many dismiss the wonder of our own back yards. You see my wife had never seen any of the great lakes so when I brought my wife to Marquette for a reunion she was just awe struck at the size of Lake Michigan. When The Marquette Choir visited New York they were all quit excited to see the Statue of Liberty but for me as I have lost count going to Liberty Island so many times it was no big deal. Visiting the City is no big deal for me, however I am not a tourist, but maybe just once I should take the Circle Line around Manhattan which I have never done and maybe I just might appreciate what is under my nose just a little more.

I went to high school in the Twin Cities. The Mall of America was just the local mall to me. It was always funny to me when I ran into people who had planned vacations just to see it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #346 on: July 11, 2022, 05:44:24 PM »
I never leave the suburbs

Aren’t you worried about goin’ blind from all that bright, white skin?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2022, 05:46:39 PM »
Aren’t you worried about goin’ blind from all that bright, white skin?

I have an Applebees just a few blocks away.  That’s all the culture I need

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2022, 06:11:30 PM »
I have an Applebees just a few blocks away.  That’s all the culture I need

I think most Applebees allow minorities now, so at least you get exposure to different cultures.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2022, 06:15:56 PM »
I think most Applebees allow minorities now, so at least you get exposure to different cultures.

And I can watch sports there, so it ties in with this thread.

As for The Boys, Homelander is really a bit on the nose at this point, isn’t he?