[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 49069 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #300 on: May 02, 2022, 05:51:13 PM »
A peace agreement would be nice. However, the only way to achieve that, it would seem, is for Ukraine to give up parts of their country. You believe that they should do that?  If so, it negs the question: should larger, more powerful countries be allowed to take other parts of smaller, less powerful countries?

Ukraine and the Ukrainians don't seem the slightest bit interested in that deal. As long as they are willing to fight, I think we continue to support them.

I would give up Texas and Florida in a heartbeat if someone even just gave me a dirty look.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2022, 06:14:51 PM »
I would give up Texas and Florida in a heartbeat if someone even just gave me a dirty look.

I get both the sentiment and the jest.

But out of curiosity. If Mexico was willing (and able) to lay Texas and New Mexico to ruin, as well as the rest of the continental US, killing up to 1M Americans and leveling much of the infrastructure, housing, and business in the US, and they offered a peace deal before hand that if we give them back Texas and New Mexico, would you take the deal?

What if, no matter what, we were still going to lose Texas and New Mexico. So either way they are gone, but if we negotiate and sign the deal, the rest doesn't happen?

What would you do?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2022, 06:32:31 PM »
For what, your peace of mind? It's an actual war for the people in the war zone.

Obviously.  A wider conflict is stupid.  The US has been waging proxy wars worldwide since the 40s. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2022, 06:34:01 PM »
Quite the contrary. I think the best way to help Ukraine would be negotiating a peace agreement. Our current strategy is just prolonging the conflict which ensures more lives lost and further destruction of Ukraine.

And Russia.  Which is the actual goal.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2022, 09:16:31 PM »
I get both the sentiment and the jest.

But out of curiosity. If Mexico was willing (and able) to lay Texas and New Mexico to ruin, as well as the rest of the continental US, killing up to 1M Americans and leveling much of the infrastructure, housing, and business in the US, and they offered a peace deal before hand that if we give them back Texas and New Mexico, would you take the deal?

What if, no matter what, we were still going to lose Texas and New Mexico. So either way they are gone, but if we negotiate and sign the deal, the rest doesn't happen?

What would you do?

I think you don’t quite understand the concept of a joke.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
Interesting thread on one person's (informed) view of the current state of the war:

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1521163752296660992
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2022, 10:02:20 PM »
I think you don’t quite understand the concept of a joke.

Lot's of stress these days makes forgetful a dull boy.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2022, 11:59:24 PM »
Lot's of stress these days makes forgetful a dull boy.

Yeah. Tell me about it. Life used to be a lot easier.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #308 on: May 03, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
Interesting thread on one person's (informed) view of the current state of the war:

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1521163752296660992

Thanks for this, pretty interesting.  I don't know much about him, but thanks! 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #309 on: May 03, 2022, 11:08:27 AM »
I've found analysis for retired US General Hertling to be very interesting for his Ukraine analysis. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2022, 06:35:50 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-says-no-agreement-reached-possible-meeting-between-putin-pope-francis-2022-05-04/?utm_term=OZY&utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Thursday_05.05.22&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

LONDON, May 4 (Reuters) - The Russian Orthodox Church scolded Pope Francis on Wednesday for using the wrong tone after he urged Patriarch Kirill not to become the Kremlin's "altar boy", cautioning the Vatican that such remarks would hurt dialogue between the churches.

Francis told Italy's Corriere Della Sera newspaper that Kirill, who has given the Ukraine war his backing, "cannot become [President Vladimir] Putin's altar boy". read more

The Russian Orthodox Church said it was regrettable that a month and a half after Francis and Kirill, the patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, had spoken directly, the pope had adopted such a tone.

"Pope Francis chose an incorrect tone to convey the content of this conversation," the Moscow Patriarchy said, though it did not explicitly mention the "altar boy" comment.

"Such statements are unlikely to contribute to the establishment of a constructive dialogue between the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox Churches, which is especially necessary at the present time."

Kirill, 75, a close ally of Putin, sees the war as a bulwark against a West he considers decadent, particularly over the acceptance of homosexuality.

The problem here isn't that this "man of God" is a Putin apologist who supports war crimes against Ukrainians and who would gladly have LGBTQ people burned at the stake. No, the problem is the pope's "tone."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #311 on: May 11, 2022, 06:24:07 PM »
Thread re the video from Chinese TV showing one of the jack-in-the-box tank turrets getting blown and speculation this is part of a Ukrainian insurgency given where it happened.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1524448245539393539
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #312 on: May 12, 2022, 09:13:29 AM »
Good to see Finland, which shares a long stretch of border with Russia, finally deciding to join NATO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #313 on: May 12, 2022, 10:38:12 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-says-no-agreement-reached-possible-meeting-between-putin-pope-francis-2022-05-04/?utm_term=OZY&utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Thursday_05.05.22&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

LONDON, May 4 (Reuters) - The Russian Orthodox Church scolded Pope Francis on Wednesday for using the wrong tone after he urged Patriarch Kirill not to become the Kremlin's "altar boy", cautioning the Vatican that such remarks would hurt dialogue between the churches.

Francis told Italy's Corriere Della Sera newspaper that Kirill, who has given the Ukraine war his backing, "cannot become [President Vladimir] Putin's altar boy". read more

The Russian Orthodox Church said it was regrettable that a month and a half after Francis and Kirill, the patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, had spoken directly, the pope had adopted such a tone.

"Pope Francis chose an incorrect tone to convey the content of this conversation," the Moscow Patriarchy said, though it did not explicitly mention the "altar boy" comment.

"Such statements are unlikely to contribute to the establishment of a constructive dialogue between the Roman Catholic and Russian Orthodox Churches, which is especially necessary at the present time."

Kirill, 75, a close ally of Putin, sees the war as a bulwark against a West he considers decadent, particularly over the acceptance of homosexuality.

The problem here isn't that this "man of God" is a Putin apologist who supports war crimes against Ukrainians and who would gladly have LGBTQ people burned at the stake. No, the problem is the pope's "tone."

The Catholic Church has never been shy about aligning itself with dictators and mass murderers.

They are an organization that craves power, and sucking up is the way to get it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #314 on: May 12, 2022, 10:47:15 AM »
The Catholic Church has never been shy about aligning itself with dictators and mass murderers.

They are an organization that craves power, and sucking up is the way to get it.

This article is about how the Vatican is standing up to the Russian Orthodox church.

But you be you.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #315 on: May 12, 2022, 10:47:42 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #316 on: May 12, 2022, 01:46:10 PM »
This article is about how the Vatican is standing up to the Russian Orthodox church.

But you be you.

The Russian Orthodox Church is Catholic, just not Roman Catholic.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #317 on: May 12, 2022, 01:49:56 PM »

But the Vatican is Roman Catholic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #318 on: May 12, 2022, 01:57:57 PM »

What?  They are orthodox.  Just like the Greek Orthodox and other eastern churches.  The Russian church isn't under Rome in any way, shape or form.

The Great Schism, aina?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #319 on: May 12, 2022, 02:17:13 PM »
What?  They are orthodox.  Just like the Greek Orthodox and other eastern churches.  The Russian church isn't under Rome in any way, shape or form.

The Great Schism, aina?

Catholic noun
Cath·​o·​lic | \ ˈkath-lik  , ˈka-thə- \
1: a member of a Catholic church
especially : ROMAN CATHOLIC
2: a person who belongs to the universal Christian church

It's basically a synonym for "Christian."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
Catholic noun

Pedantic.

Are you a Lutheran Catholic?   ::) ::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »
Catholic noun

That isn't what is being delineated here.

All Catholics are Christians, not all Christians are Catholics.  Despite what that definition says.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2022, 02:23:55 PM »
Catholic noun

Are you saying Catholic and Christian are synonyms?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2022, 02:26:33 PM »

The Great Schism, aina?

https://www.oca.org/questions/romancatholicism/catholic-and-orthodox

The orthodox church considers itself to be catholic. Little c catholic, not big C Catholic

I assumed this is what Jockey meant given that the article he was quoting was criticizing the Russian Orthodox church. If I misunderstood him than mea culpa.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 02:28:41 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2022, 02:29:34 PM »
https://www.oca.org/questions/romancatholicism/catholic-and-orthodox

The orthodox church considers itself to be catholic. Little c catholic, not big Catholic

They consider their name to be Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church.

But we're all being pedantic here.  When people say are you catholic or orthodox, we all know what is meant.  Do you bow to the Pope of Rome or not.