'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 28111 times)

Miss Katie’s

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2022, 01:11:35 PM »
Ben Carlson has had injury issues and has failed to live up to his recruiting rank.

A couple freshman redshirted, but who knows how good they'll be.

They definitely need to hit the portal but need to do better than Jachobi Neath.  Wow, was he bad this season.

PS- I will be interested to see what happens to Jordan Davis after Johnny turns pro.

Lorne Bowman definitely has potential, but it remains to be seen if he will return next season after what has been rumored to be mental health struggles. 

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2022, 01:19:14 PM »
I was in the building yesterday and it was absolutely glorius.  I have never seen so many dejected UW-Oshkosh alums in my life (I think Oshkosh slightly outdrew UW Whitewater yesterday).

I cheered for the local team

Iowa State...

HC: TJO - Thomas More HS
AC: JR Blount - WFB Dominican
PG Tyrese Hunter - Racine St. Cates

Great to see the Metro stand up.  What an atmosphere.

Agreed.  I was there with my daughter who is a TM alum and former Metro player.  Represent!

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2022, 01:35:16 PM »
Ben Carlson has had injury issues and has failed to live up to his recruiting rank.

A couple freshman redshirted, but who knows how good they'll be.

They definitely need to hit the portal but need to do better than Jachobi Neath.  Wow, was he bad this season.

PS- I will be interested to see what happens to Jordan Davis after Johnny turns pro.

As I understood it, coming out of high school, Johnny was more the basketball star and Jordan was the football star. I assume Paul Chryst could find room on the football team for Jordan if that would keep everyone happy.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2022, 01:35:36 PM »
Davison grabs, shoves, hooks, pushes, stiffarms, flops, runs over, or crashes into someone on every single play.  After watching that clown disgrace the game for almost a decade, I still cannot figure out how the refs let him stay in any game past halftime.  He gets away with more crap than anyone I've ever seen.  Including LeBron.

And you left out punches someone in the nuts, moves his foot under a rebounder coming down, kicks his legs out, and slides his foot to trip someone.

Yet, at Buckyville they are delusional and think he "is a great representative of the university". Meanwhile, everyone else in the country think he is a scumbag for his on-court actions.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2022, 01:40:24 PM »
And you left out punches someone in the nuts, moves his foot under a rebounder coming down, kicks his legs out, and slides his foot to trip someone.

Yet, at Buckyville they are delusional and think he "is a great representative of the university". Meanwhile, everyone else in the country think he is a scumbag for his on-court actions.

Thank you, I did forget some of those. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2022, 01:49:42 PM »
As I understood it, coming out of high school, Johnny was more the basketball star and Jordan was the football star. I assume Paul Chryst could find room on the football team for Jordan if that would keep everyone happy.

Wisconsin football recruited Jordan a bit but I don't believe they ever offered.

My read was that Chryst didn't want to use a football scholarship to help primarily the basketball team, so Gard was forced to make Jordan an offer.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2022, 02:09:28 PM »
Wisconsin football recruited Jordan a bit but I don't believe they ever offered.

My read was that Chryst didn't want to use a football scholarship to help primarily the basketball team, so Gard was forced to make Jordan an offer.

I’ve been told Gard is incredible at molding 2 and 3* recruits into All-Americans, so Jordan should be fine
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
I have been watching this Marquette/Wisconsin love/hate debate for 55+ years. Do UW basketball fans hate MU basketball as much as MU basketball fans hate UW basketball????

The answer is "yes" , and then some.

That's why every year the week before the game there's a 10 page thread on Buckyville explaining why they don't care about MU basketball. The old time UW fans especially despised MU and I will cite 3 of many reasons :

1. From the late 1960s and through the 1970s MU spent virtually every week in the AP and UPI Top 10. UW spent that entire time trying to escape the B10 second division ( during that period Al's record against UW was something like 19-2).

2. That 1974 picture of All standing on the scorers table at the old Arena after a buzzer beating win has a lasting effect. To this day, every year before the game that picture appears in some newspaper in the State of Wisconsin, to the glee of all MU fans and the horror of UW fans.

3. There were a handful of years in the 1960s and 1970s when the Badgers played MU twice per season, with BOTH games being played in Milwaukee on MU's home court. Imagine the indignity. No team would ever agree to that arrangement today. Ever.

UW put up with a lot back in the day, and many haven't forgotten.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2022, 02:19:31 PM »
Was he though? What’s one thing he did “great” other than play dirty and flop? He became a decent 3P shooter this year, but otherwise he was volume shooter who wasn’t exactly efficient and didnt really fill up the stat sheet otherwise.

It’s not just being a hater, I just don’t think he’s in the top 10 or 15 Badgers who played under Gard

Really inefficient, always had to have his hand on the ball.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2022, 02:31:10 PM »
I don't trash college kids...and I get Davison is a grown man (by age not behavior)...but he is an absolute a$$ and garbage player. 

I could pull for UW under Bennett...the Barry and Bo show was disgusting...and Gard lands guilty by association.  The only thing I enjoy about Gard remaining at UW is there couldn't be a more polar opposite to Shaka.  Those recruiting battles should be easy for Shaka.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:34:31 PM by avid1010 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »
I don't have some detailed analysis of whether most UW fans consider us a rival or vice versa.  Frankly, I don't even care.  But I could easily write a 200 page dissertation about why I hate that program with a passion. 

The funny thing is during my first year of grad school in Madison I was totally willing to root for them as my 2nd favorite hoops team behind Marquette.  Let's just say that ship sailed pretty quickly for a myriad of reasons.  I know I shared this story on the other MU website but perhaps I have not here.   This is what brought me to a full fledged  hater with zero apologies:

About 11-12 years ago I was having dinner at the Avenue Bar with friends and sitting next to me was a member of the Madison Sports Media (a.k.a the trio of trash/ignominious triumvirate).    I was enjoying my wedge salad  and a nice Oktoberfest brew until I couldn't help overhear the conversation next to me.  I honestly didn't know who the guy was initially, but he was clearly a local sports writer as he was obnoxiously talking about his relationship with Bo Ryan and a number of other things for the purpose of letting everyone know his "celebrity" in Madison. 

It didn't bother me and I continued eating my salad until he started waxing poetic about Marquette and in particular Darius Johnson Odom.  He proceeded to rip the young man to shreds, calling him a Juco moron, a head case, overrated, and a number of additional derogatory remarks.  He also added and I quote "Marquette has a terrible APR score and probably won't be eligible for the tournament come the Spring."

This is when I had enough.  I stood up, looked him straight in the eye, and said "You realize you have no fking idea what you're talking about and are a colossal a-hole"....with a few additional colorful words.  He proceeded to be stunned as I am not a large individual and he just didn't see this coming at all.  Anyway, he got his fat ass off his chair, was very close to starting a physical altercation with me, until he saw my friend  beside me.  :)  You see my buddy (while a peaceful individual) is 6'4 225 and not exactly a person you fk with.  :)

Anyhow, that brought me to absolutely loathing that program.  I also alerted that piece of garbage that APR scores are public knowledge and that lying as a "media member" should result in his immediate termination.  This I just one of 100+ stories I have that has increased my hostility for the Badgers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 03:42:38 PM by MuggsyB »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »
I don't have some detailed analysis of whether most UW fans consider us a rival or vice versa.  Frankly, I don't even care.  But I could easily write a 200 page dissertation about why I hate that program with a passion. 

The funny thing is during my first year of grad school in Madison I was totally willing to root for them as my 2nd favorite hoops team behind Marquette.  Let's just say that ship sailed pretty quickly for a myriad of reasons.  I know I shared this story on the other MU website but perhaps I have not here.   This is what brought me to a full fledged  hater with zero apologies:

About 11-12 years ago I was having dinner at the Avenue Bar with friends and sitting next to me was a member of the Madison Sports Media (a.k.a the trio of trash/ignominious triumvirate).    I was enjoying my wedge salad  and a nice Oktoberfest brew until I couldn't help overhear the conversation next to me.  I honestly didn't know who the guy was initially, but he was clearly a local sports writer as he was obnoxiously talking about his relationship with Bo Ryan and a number of other things for the purpose of letting everyone know his "celebrity" in Madison. 

It didn't bother me and I continued eating my salad until he started waxing poetic about Marquette and in particular Darius Johnson Odom.  He proceeded to rip the young man to shreds, calling him a Juco moron, a head case, overrated, and a number of additional derogatory remarks.  He also added and I quote "Marquette has a terrible APR score and probably won't be eligible for the tournament come the Spring."

This is when I had enough.  I stood up, looked him straight in the eye, and said "You realize you have no fking idea what you're talking about and are a colossal a-hole"....with a few additional colorful words.  He proceeded to be stunned as I am not a large individual and he just didn't see this coming at all.  Anyway, he got he got his fat ass off his chair, was very close to starting a physical altercation with me, until he saw my friend  beside me.  :)  You see my buddy (while a peaceful individual) is 6'4 225 and not exactly a person you fk with.  :)

Anyhow, that brought me to absolutely loathing that program.  I also alerted that piece of garbage that APR scores are public knowledge and that lying as a "media member" should result in his immediate termination.  This I just one of 100+ stories I have that has increased my hostility for the Badgers.
ranch or thousand island?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2022, 03:42:47 PM »
I know I shared this story on the other MU website but perhaps I have not here.

Other Marquette website? What do you mean? There is Scoop and there is Arby's. That's it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2022, 03:43:06 PM »

Ranch.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2022, 03:45:24 PM »
Other Marquette website? What do you mean? There is Scoop and there is Arby's. That's it.

My bad brew. 

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2022, 03:48:44 PM »

A wedge needs bleu cheese!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:40:52 PM by Miss Katie’s »

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »
I had a friend who was a Badger fan that was at some kind of conference for athletic directors.  He had a table set up for his non-profit organization and saw Barry Alveraz walk by.  He decided he'd go up to him and just give him his card and explain his organization quickly.  So he did, and Barry's response was, "What do you think I'll do with this?" and threw my friend's card in the trash.

If you're in Barry's shoes how hard is it to say, "Thanks" and walk away and then throw it away when you get out of sight even if you think the guy is wasting your very important time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2022, 03:59:58 PM »
Ranch.  :)

This is the correct answer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2022, 04:04:48 PM »

This is when I had enough.  I stood up, looked him straight in the eye, and said "You realize you have no fking idea what you're talking about and are a colossal a-hole"....with a few additional colorful words.  He proceeded to be stunned as I am not a large individual and he just didn't see this coming at all.  Anyway, he got his fat ass off his chair, was very close to starting a physical altercation with me, until he saw my friend  beside me.  :)  You see my buddy (while a peaceful individual) is 6'4 225 and not exactly a person you fk with.  :)

Surprised Oates was at Avenue Bar and not Babe’s.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2022, 04:13:26 PM »
Surprised Oates was at Avenue Bar and not Babe’s.

Both I've been told don't exist anymore.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2022, 04:17:12 PM »

Good story Muggs....please give us more!  Keep 'em coming!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2022, 04:28:06 PM »
Both I've been told don't exist anymore.

Both are gone.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2022, 04:37:17 PM »

I too went to UW-Madison for grad school after finishing my undergraduate yeas at Marquette. This was in the early 1990's. I was enjoying the Union Terrace on a nice spring day, having a brat and some beers, when the conversation at the table suddenly started turning to Marquette. One guy at the table did not realize I had gone there and started to bitch about the state legislature given the Marquette Dental School some funding in the state education budget. He proceeded to complain about a private university getting state funds. I asked him what public dental schools exist in the state of Wisconsin and of course he didn't know. I told him that Marquette had the only dental school and that anyone can come in and get free dental services as part of the condition for the funding. He then proceed to complain that even so, the state shouldn't be giving any money to a school full of rich kids. Now, this may have changed over the years, but at the time Marquette only had about the 8th or 9th highest per capita family income among student families among Wisconsin colleges. The school with the highest per-capita family income at the time? UW-Madison.
I again proceeded to tell this guy he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and that he might want to beef up on some facts rather than stupid stereotypes.

I have a son who is now considering both Marquette and UW-Madison for college. I have told him that he is fine to pick either one but that if he does go to UW that he knows I will never root for Badger basketball even while he is there.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2022, 04:38:08 PM »

I had an online Oates occurrence when he took a shot at Iowa for losing to Villanova in the 2016 NCAA Tournament saying it was a bad look to lose to a Jay Wright coached team in March.  He was pretty quiet after the national title game

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2022, 04:40:02 PM »
I too went to UW-Madison for grad school after finishing my undergraduate yeas at Marquette. This was in the early 1990's. I was enjoying the Union Terrace on a nice spring day, having a brat and some beers, when the conversation at the table suddenly started turning to Marquette. One guy at the table did not realize I had gone there and started to bitch about the state legislature given the Marquette Dental School some funding in the state education budget. He proceeded to complain about a private university getting state funds. I asked him what public dental schools exist in the state of Wisconsin and of course he didn't know. I told him that Marquette had the only dental school and that anyone can come in and get free dental services as part of the condition for the funding. He then proceed to complain that even so, the state shouldn't be giving any money to a school full of rich kids. Now, this may have changed over the years, but at the time Marquette only had about the 8th or 9th highest per capita family income among student families among Wisconsin colleges. The school with the highest per-capita family income at the time? UW-Madison.
I again proceeded to tell this guy he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and that he might want to beef up on some facts rather than stupid stereotypes.

I have a son who is now considering both Marquette and UW-Madison for college. I have told him that he is fine to pick either one but that if he does go to UW that he knows I will never root for Badger basketball even while he is there.

Badger fans love to bitch about any public assistance going to any private school. I think it’s a merit badge