Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 27668 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 06:23:43 AM »
Jordan Davis isn’t great. But he’s better than Wally.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 07:53:40 AM »
I very much enjoyed seeing the Badgers lose at the FF yesterday. I try very hard not to watch UW play outside of against us and made a point to watch yesterday. Davison is very high on my all time dislike list. He makes the game very difficult to watch.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 08:01:04 AM »
Whisky's 3pt shooting was the definition of futility:

For

:)

C'mon Muggsy! It was that bad shooting background that Dodds has explained to anyone who he can get to listen to his theory.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 08:05:27 AM »
I very much enjoyed seeing the Badgers lose at the FF yesterday. I try very hard not to watch UW play outside of against us and made a point to watch yesterday. Davison is very high on my all time dislike list. He makes the game very difficult to watch.

Was it the 13 fouls he committed yesterday that made him hard to watch or his shooting?  I could see a case for both
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2022, 08:18:41 AM »
As a Wisconsinite and MU alum, I often wonder how much hate there actually is between the two schools. Would be interesting to know if it is just the MU alums that hate UW or if it goes both ways between alumna. When I was a kid I liked them both but favored MU because UW sucked in the 80s and early 90s. Now I’m kind of apathetic to UW but don’t feel extreme hate towards them. Maybe the Wisconsinite in me? There is a tweet out there by local sports radio host calling it little bro syndrome for MU fans that hate UW. Is this true or does the hate go both ways? Is this hate from MU alumni that are Wisconsin residents or non? I don’t feel like it’s hate from non-alumna as I have friends that may favor one but support both. Overall just pondering this as a curiosity as this rivalry doesn’t seem as deep as other inner state rivalries. Maybe because we don’t have football which would deepen that rivalry. Maybe worth a poll. Interested in thoughts on this one.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2022, 08:24:36 AM »
His bitching about his 4th foul call was an all-timer.  Pulls the guy down while falling on his ass and then  complains like a 4yr old.  The sad thing is he was a pretty damn good player but his antics are a total embarrassment to the sport.

Narrator: "He was not a pretty damn good player"
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2022, 08:26:00 AM »
Warriorr

It definitely is a one sided hatred, IMO. Over the past 20+ years UW has bigger fish to fry then worry about MU. That said, if MU gains the success on the court I would think UW might not look past MU as they do today. My dislike started with a hatred of UW basketball and has grow to dislike everything UW related.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2022, 08:30:17 AM »

Yeah he was better than average with some intangibles.  I thought the announcers comments about him were over the top strange. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2022, 08:32:41 AM »
As a Wisconsinite and MU alum, I often wonder how much hate there actually is between the two schools. Would be interesting to know if it is just the MU alums that hate UW or if it goes both ways between alumna. When I was a kid I liked them both but favored MU because UW sucked in the 80s and early 90s. Now I’m kind of apathetic to UW but don’t feel extreme hate towards them. Maybe the Wisconsinite in me? There is a tweet out there by local sports radio host calling it little bro syndrome for MU fans that hate UW. Is this true or does the hate go both ways? Is this hate from MU alumni that are Wisconsin residents or non? I don’t feel like it’s hate from non-alumna as I have friends that may favor one but support both. Overall just pondering this as a curiosity as this rivalry doesn’t seem as deep as other inner state rivalries. Maybe because we don’t have football which would deepen that rivalry. Maybe worth a poll. Interested in thoughts on this one.

Just poke your head over to Buckyville sometime, they hate us.

Wisconsin football fans and Wisconsin alums who don't follow sports don't hate us.  But Wisconsin bball fans certainly do
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2022, 08:37:12 AM »
TAMU
Wisconsin bball fans or UW alum bball fans? Feel like there is a difference. But maybe across the state the Milwaukee hate for non alumna transcends into the MU hate.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2022, 08:40:46 AM »

Wisconsin football fans and Wisconsin alums who don't follow sports don't hate us.  But Wisconsin bball fans certainly do

Buckyville, like Scoop, isn't really representative of the two fanbases.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2022, 08:42:08 AM »

Agreed. As a Wisconsinite, the most posting on FB I see about Badger basketball is after the MU game or the tournament. They like to say they don’t care, but their actions say differently.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2022, 08:45:36 AM »
Agreed. As a Wisconsinite, the most posting on FB I see about Badger basketball is after the MU game or the tournament. They like to say they don’t care, but their actions say differently.

Exactly. All of my UW friends say there is no rivalry and don't care about MU, but they are always the first to trash on MU and talk about MU when the opportunity presents itself. Quite funny actually.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2022, 08:46:55 AM »
Exactly. All of my UW friends say there is no rivalry and don't care about MU, but they are always the first to trash on MU and talk about MU when the opportunity presents itself. Quite funny actually.

Your what?

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2022, 08:47:35 AM »

My experience as well.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »
I was in the building yesterday and it was absolutely glorius.  I have never seen so many dejected UW-Oshkosh alums in my life (I think Oshkosh slightly outdrew UW Whitewater yesterday).

I cheered for the local team

Iowa State...

HC: TJO - Thomas More HS
AC: JR Blount - WFB Dominican
PG Tyrese Hunter - Racine St. Cates

Great to see the Metro stand up.  What an atmosphere. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2022, 08:56:40 AM »

Yup.

As I've said here before, I've never had a problem with actual Madison alumni. It's the Walmart Badgers that are the most vocal in their hatred for MU.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2022, 09:18:17 AM »
Choked against a horrible Nebraska team, failing to win an outright Big Ten title.

Barely survived against a 14 seed.

Lost what effectively was a home game to the 11 seed.

March Fade!

That after a double-digit loss to Baylor in R2 last year ... which was after getting crushed by Oregon in R1 in 2019 ... which was after failing to make the tournament in 2018.

They have become an immaterial college basketball program under Greg Gard.
last time MU lost an NCAA tournament game by less than 20 was 2013. Maybe consider we should not throw so many stones from our glass house.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2022, 09:33:50 AM »

Damn good was an overstatement but he was definitely above overage. Now, I think part of the reason he was valuable is because the refs allowed him to foul 15 times a game.  Someone asked "what did he do very well??  The answer is he didn't turn the ball over.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
Did he sing Varsity last night?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2022, 09:40:32 AM »
last time MU lost an NCAA tournament game by less than 20 was 2013. Maybe consider we should not throw so many stones from our glass house.
::)
The post didn't really 'throw stones', it was almost all facts. This is a MU fan board, it not like they went to a Badger board to gloat. This happens 1,000+ times per day on other fan boards.

MU ending their season with a thud should not and does not preclude them from 'enjoying' Madison blowing a golden opportunity to go to the S16 on a virtual home court.

Personally, I don't care about Madison. I find it funny that, like others here, Madison alum I've met are smart fans who respect and / or like MU. I think the "Wisconsin" fans who never went to Madison or maybe any college are the ones dislike MU. It's the "rich kids" school to them.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2022, 09:41:50 AM »

It was 2019, actually.  :)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2022, 09:50:43 AM »
Yup.

As I've said here before, I've never had a problem with actual Madison alumni. It's the Walmart Badgers that are the most vocal in their hatred for MU.

It's a complex mix.  My boss is a UW-madison alum and season ticket holder and he has said on numerous occasions "man, I really hate Marquette".  I never miss an opportunity to stoke the rivalry once I learned of this irrational hatred.

I think that many of the WalMart badger fans hate MU because they are afraid of the "big city" (and there may be some underlying racism involved).

Finally, none of the badger fans I know, except the aforementioned boss, will admit they have any hate towards MU, but like others have said, they always take potshots at us any chance they get. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2022, 09:52:32 AM »
Anytime you have to tell someone that they aren't you're rival, you know that they definitely are not your rival.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2022, 10:00:26 AM »
I think that many of the WalMart badger fans hate MU because they are afraid of the "big city" (and there may be some underlying racism involved).

There's that, and they don't view MU as "Wisconsin" enough to support as a local team. Too many rich kids from Illinois, I've heard.

feedback