'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105470 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #575 on: April 05, 2022, 01:05:28 PM »
Oh, I certainly didn't intend to imply they would use the endowment for buying out a coach, just using it as a measure of the financial wellbeing and ability of their big donors vs Marquette.

Shoot, all they have to do is hit up their famous Irish comedian alumni.  Have Jim Gaffigan and John Mulaney split it.  Easy Peasy.
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #576 on: April 05, 2022, 01:15:45 PM »
Oh, I certainly didn't intend to imply they would use the endowment for buying out a coach, just using it as a measure of the financial wellbeing and ability of their big donors vs Marquette.

This is exactly how I read your post. What follows is pure speculation on my part, nothing more:

It's difficult for me to believe that some deep pocket GT donors cannot be persuaded collectively to pool the big bucks needed to give Ewing the boot. They may even have approached Georgetown on their own. If my guesses are correct, just what is it that keeps GT from getting rid of him? Has GT simply written off basketball? Something really smells here.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #577 on: April 05, 2022, 01:20:27 PM »
This is exactly how I read your post. What follows is pure speculation on my part, nothing more:

It's difficult for me to believe that some deep pocket GT donors cannot be persuaded collectively to pool the big bucks needed to give Ewing the boot. They may even have approached Georgetown on their own. If my guesses are correct, just what is it that keeps GT from getting rid of him? Has GT simply written off basketball? Something really smells here.
My guess is that GT is hoping Ewing can turn things around so that the linkage to their storied past is not broken. Good luck…..

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #578 on: April 05, 2022, 01:23:20 PM »
This is silly. All Georgetown needs to do is have 3 or perhaps 4 blogs publish coordinated and very well researched articles which lay out a demonstrable case for Ewing’s dismissal. It typically works within 24 hours.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #579 on: April 05, 2022, 01:25:44 PM »

Maybe they don't want to approach those donors to fund his buy out, but want to save them for something else?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #580 on: April 05, 2022, 01:51:02 PM »
Shoot, all they have to do is hit up their famous Irish comedian alumni.  Have Jim Gaffigan and John Mulaney split it.  Easy Peasy.
Not sure Mulaney will be on board...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiqKK4ysI7g

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2022, 02:03:22 PM »

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #582 on: April 05, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »

The buyout is reported at $12 million until April 2023. No one is writing that check, especially to give a check to someone who is worth $100 million on his own. Ewing has lost a lot of core support and the donor and attendance numbers reflect this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #583 on: April 05, 2022, 02:25:52 PM »
The buyout is reported at $12 million until April 2023. No one is writing that check, especially to give a check to someone who is worth $100 million on his own. Ewing has lost a lot of core support and the donor and attendance numbers reflect this.

So, one more season then. Is there no buyout at all after that?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #584 on: April 05, 2022, 02:27:57 PM »
So, one more season then. Is there no buyout at all after that?

This is all speculation based on a blog report but...it drops $3 million a year through 2026.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #585 on: April 05, 2022, 02:31:52 PM »
This is all speculation based on a blog report but...it drops $3 million a year through 2026.

Y'all can get that out of petty cash. Hang in there for another year!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #586 on: April 05, 2022, 02:36:51 PM »
73 year old Fran Dunphy is coming out of retirement to coach LaSalle.  Reading this article, I didn't realize how terrible that program is.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/la-salle/fran-dunphy-coach-la-salle-temple-penn-20220405.html

It feels like the A10 is full of a few decent programs, but a couple are just terrible.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #587 on: April 05, 2022, 03:01:09 PM »
If Marquette scraped together the $6M for Wojo, I'd think Georgetown has enough wealthy alums to double that to get rid of Ewing. I think part of the problem is some of the old establishment still wants him to succeed. He's the definition of a favorite son. Maybe you justify that he just didn't have the right staff and the changes he made will turn things around. Seems like a hope in vain, because I honestly don't think talent has been the issue (Akinjo, McClung, Wahab, Leblanc, Mohamed) but rather keeping talent and getting the most out of it has been the issue.

I have to say, the worst thing to happen to GT was the Big East tourney. They trailed 'Nova by 5 with less than 2 minutes to play. Lose that game, miss the tourney, then follow it up with this year and you don't have the messy extension nor the NCAA trip to warrant keeping him. Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and Georgetown lost that one big time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #588 on: April 05, 2022, 03:44:38 PM »
If Marquette scraped together the $6M for Wojo, I'd think Georgetown has enough wealthy alums to double that to get rid of Ewing. I think part of the problem is some of the old establishment still wants him to succeed. He's the definition of a favorite son. Maybe you justify that he just didn't have the right staff and the changes he made will turn things around. Seems like a hope in vain, because I honestly don't think talent has been the issue (Akinjo, McClung, Wahab, Leblanc, Mohamed) but rather keeping talent and getting the most out of it has been the issue.

I have to say, the worst thing to happen to GT was the Big East tourney. They trailed 'Nova by 5 with less than 2 minutes to play. Lose that game, miss the tourney, then follow it up with this year and you don't have the messy extension nor the NCAA trip to warrant keeping him. Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and Georgetown lost that one big time.

I agree, but this is 20/20 hindsight as many, myself included, thought that maybe, just maybe Ewing finally turned the corner. Actually, he did turn the corner, but he went the wrong way!

I think somewhere in your analysis is the answer, but more likely it's some combination of the things you wrote about. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #589 on: April 05, 2022, 04:20:07 PM »
Did Gaffigan play football at Purdue?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #590 on: April 05, 2022, 04:37:09 PM »
That is a great find.

Yeah, I saw that Netflix special.  Good stuff.
Have some patience, FFS.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #591 on: April 05, 2022, 05:33:34 PM »
Did Gaffigan play football at Purdue?

Two years at Purdue, one at Georgetown. His brother Joe was a four year letterman with the Hoyas.

The Gaffigan brothers were part of a Georgetown team which also included former Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz, who played LB.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:35:46 PM by DFW HOYA »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #592 on: April 05, 2022, 05:33:49 PM »

just conjecture on my part…but I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas paid the Woj buyout. Woj cost less than Shaka. MU hires Shaka, Texas doesn’t have to fire him, hence no Shaka buyout. In return, Texas pays the Woj buyout. Again, just speculation on my part.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #593 on: April 05, 2022, 05:55:37 PM »
just conjecture on my part…but I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas paid the Woj buyout. Woj cost less than Shaka. MU hires Shaka, Texas doesn’t have to fire him, hence no Shaka buyout. In return, Texas pays the Woj buyout. Again, just speculation on my part.

Nah
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #594 on: April 05, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »

That is not how this works.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #595 on: April 05, 2022, 07:15:26 PM »
If Marquette scraped together the $6M for Wojo, I'd think Georgetown has enough wealthy alums to double that to get rid of Ewing. I think part of the problem is some of the old establishment still wants him to succeed. He's the definition of a favorite son.

Look, we took the same path with Hank Raymonds and Rick Majerus. Both were from the Al Coaching Tree. We badly wanted both to succeed at Marquette.

Neither did on their own. It took a long time for the cold water to hit our face.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #596 on: April 05, 2022, 07:46:02 PM »

It wasn't Texas. I'm certain of that, and while Shaka was the choice, he wasn't the only candidate they were in talks with.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #597 on: April 05, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »
Mike Schrage resigned as HC at Elon to become an assistant at Duke. Wojo loses a possible landing spot, unless maybe he wants the Elon gig.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #598 on: April 05, 2022, 10:36:20 PM »
If this isn't teal lol.....
Goal is National Championship

Viper

• All American
« Reply #599 on: April 05, 2022, 11:20:24 PM »
If this isn't teal lol.....
I have no idea what that means, but, ok