[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 125426 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #2400 on: January 23, 2023, 07:21:49 AM »
Buffalo is missing something.  Not sure if it’s the coach but something feels like it’s missing there.  Secondary was depleted but Cincinnati imposed their will against them and Miami would have beaten them if they had a QB

For one thing, Buffalo's pass rush all but vanished after Von Miller got hurt. That, combined with their problems in the secondary, has made them easy pickin's for great QBs. For another, Allen did not get better this season and, arguably, regressed a little. He made boneheaded mistakes in several games, mistakes unbefitting a QB of his talent. He also took a beating, as Buffalo used him as a runner a lot down the stretch.

You might be right about the coaching, too. I sure hope the Panthers do better than the Bills' OC.

I feel comfortable saying the best 4 teams reached the conference title games. There is no legit argument for Buffalo being better than KC (with a healthy-ish Mahomes), Philly or San Fran. And given the way Cinci is playing, including yesterday, not better than the Bengals either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2401 on: January 23, 2023, 07:29:24 AM »
For one thing, Buffalo's pass rush all but vanished after Von Miller got hurt. That, combined with their problems in the secondary, has made them easy pickin's for great QBs. For another, Allen did not get better this season and, arguably, regressed a little. He made boneheaded mistakes in several games, mistakes unbefitting a QB of his talent. He also took a beating, as Buffalo used him as a runner a lot down the stretch.

You might be right about the coaching, too. I sure hope the Panthers do better than the Bills' OC.

I feel comfortable saying the best 4 teams reached the conference title games. There is no legit argument for Buffalo being better than KC (with a healthy-ish Mahomes), Philly or San Fran. And given the way Cinci is playing, including yesterday, not better than the Bengals either.

I think Ken Dorsey is fine.  We might be underestimating the impact Allen’s injury had on him but I agree they used his legs too much down the stretch. 

Miller is a great player but if your defense solely relies on him at this point, your roster has other holes
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: January 23, 2023, 08:09:21 AM »

What about the Lions?

Seriously, though, I agree.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2403 on: January 23, 2023, 08:43:38 AM »
Hot take, Bills should have fired McDermott and kept Daboll.

Whether or not firing McDermott was a realistic option, I agree Daboll is far more valuable to a franchise than McDermott. He strikes me more as the head administrator type of coach, which is great when you have have two head coaches as your coordinators.  But as the cap restrictions and coach attrition hits the Bills, I don't think McDermott is going to flourish in the way that say, guys like Andy Reid or Kyle Shanahan have.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2404 on: January 23, 2023, 09:35:42 AM »
The Cowboys streak of 27 seasons without reaching the conference championship game is pretty amazing to me. It's not like they have been bad either.  The Jets and Jags have been to three championship games EACH since the Cowboys were last in one.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2405 on: January 23, 2023, 09:38:55 AM »
I think Ken Dorsey is fine.  We might be underestimating the impact Allen’s injury had on him but I agree they used his legs too much down the stretch. 

Miller is a great player but if your defense solely relies on him at this point, your roster has other holes

Dorsey's fine right where he is! And good point about the Bills' D.

The Cowboys streak of 27 seasons without reaching the conference championship game is pretty amazing to me. It's not like they have been bad either.  The Jets and Jags have been to three championship games EACH since the Cowboys were last in one.

Yeah, you're right. That is freakin' incredible.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2406 on: January 23, 2023, 09:50:42 AM »
Lions fan laughs.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2407 on: January 23, 2023, 10:27:55 AM »

There is one common denominator during this period.

Jerry Jones is the worst GM in the league. I'm talking, of course, on the football side of GM'ing. He is great on the money making side.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: January 23, 2023, 10:45:52 AM »
There is one common denominator during this period.

Jerry Jones is the worst GM in the league. I'm talking, of course, on the football side of GM'ing. He is great on the money making side.

Nah.
He hasn't been the best, but worst?
His team has made the playoffs five of the last 10 years, and has the 8th most wins in the league since 2010. He's got a respectable draft record, landing several all-pro talents (Martin, Diggs, Parsons, Frederick, Smith, Diggs) over the past decade while rarely picking in the top 10.
If you think his record of accomplishment is worse than the Dave Gettlemans and Steve Keims of the world, I'm not sure what to tell you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: January 23, 2023, 11:48:33 AM »
We're gonna need to have some conversations on Dak this offseason

Dak is just the absolute nightmare for an NFL team.  Signs a big money deal...and IMMEDIATELY regresses across the board.

Add to that paying significant money to an RB who isn't much better, if at all, than his backup.

At least they have one of the best WRs in the NFL for another year on a rookie deal.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2410 on: January 23, 2023, 11:55:09 AM »
Nah.
He hasn't been the best, but worst?
His team has made the playoffs five of the last 10 years, and has the 8th most wins in the league since 2010. He's got a respectable draft record, landing several all-pro talents (Martin, Diggs, Parsons, Frederick, Smith, Diggs) over the past decade while rarely picking in the top 10.
If you think his record of accomplishment is worse than the Dave Gettlemans and Steve Keims of the world, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Taken in total, I think he ha been awful. As bad as any GM in the league. He would have been fired long ago by every single team except the one he owns.

Every team drafts great players on occasion. What other GM would have stuck with Jason Garrett for so long? Hire Mike McCarthy? Given the huge contract to Cutler..., I mean Dak? Spent huge $$$ for what is now basically a backup RB?

The Cowboys haven't been in a conference final in forever because of Jones. And the times they got there early in Jones tenure were in spite of him. Jimmy Johnson got them there and Jones couldn't stand someone else getting credit.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2411 on: January 23, 2023, 11:56:09 AM »
Dak is just the absolute nightmare for an NFL team.  Signs a big money deal...and IMMEDIATELY regresses across the board.

Add to that paying significant money to an RB who isn't much better, if at all, than his backup.

Ah..., you beat me to it on these comments.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2412 on: January 23, 2023, 12:45:12 PM »
Jones has gotten a lot better in the drafting part of the job over the last few years, mostly because I think his son is stepping in more to stop him from making bad decisions.

But ten seasons of Jason Garrett was a poor, poor GM decision.  Remember when he had three seasons in a row that they were heading into the final month of the season in control of their playoff destiny, only to finish poorly, end at 8-8 and miss out?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2413 on: January 25, 2023, 12:42:20 PM »

My favorite stat of the year is that no head coach has won the super bowl with two different teams.

Jerry Jones expecting Mike McCarthy to be the first is the highest order of hilarity.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2414 on: January 25, 2023, 12:47:33 PM »
My favorite coaching stat is that no Lions head coach has ever gone on to be the head coach of another NFL team.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2415 on: January 25, 2023, 12:53:42 PM »
My favorite coaching stat is that no Lions head coach has ever gone on to be the head coach of another NFL team.

My least favorite coaching stat is that a team has given an 0-16 defensive coordinator a second job as defensive coordinator.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2416 on: January 25, 2023, 03:38:08 PM »
My least favorite coaching stat is that a team has given an 0-16 defensive coordinator a second job as defensive coordinator.

And keeping him on after a bad year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2417 on: January 25, 2023, 05:00:36 PM »

Once a Lion, always only a Lion

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2418 on: January 25, 2023, 05:05:21 PM »
I thought Caldwell might break that streak.  Not yet.   The other likely candidate is Jim Schwartz.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2420 on: January 25, 2023, 08:14:32 PM »

At least they have one of the best WRs in the NFL for another year on a rookie deal.

In truth, both contracts were moronic at the time. Dak never really showed the fundamentals of an elite QB. They paid him well beyond his worth. I really don't think he regressed; he continues to play to his talent level.

Same with Elliot. He was a good every down back, but not elite. Don't overpay RBs in the current format of the league.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2421 on: January 26, 2023, 01:29:15 PM »
Panthers hiring Frank Reich, which is ... interesting?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2422 on: January 26, 2023, 01:35:03 PM »
Panthers hiring Frank Reich, which is ... interesting?

Their coaching search in 2026 will be something
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2423 on: January 26, 2023, 01:48:54 PM »
Trying to stay open-minded and optimistic, which is my M.O. as a fan (and in life).

Not easy here. Reich wasn't one of my top choices.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2424 on: January 26, 2023, 04:07:39 PM »
Trying to stay open-minded and optimistic, which is my M.O. as a fan (and in life).

Not easy here. Reich wasn't one of my top choices.

I don't know much about Reich, but he went to the playoffs with Jacoby Brissett and Phillip Rivers, and finished one game out with Carson Wentz.

There are worse choices for a team that's lacking at QB.

feedback