[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 121101 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #500 on: July 26, 2022, 06:33:22 AM »
Not sure it's a great sign that the Cardinals felt they had to include a mandatory 4-hours-per-week of film watching in Murray's contract.

EDIT: Here's a take by The Athletic's Chris Branch:

Buried in Murray’s deal is the most juvenile contract clause possible for a professional athlete: Do your homework, alright?

NFL Network reported Monday that Murray will be required to do at least four hours of “independent study” before each week’s game. This study material will be provided by the team, and time spent in team meetings for normal game prep does not count toward the four hours. Yes, this is a real thing.

To earn those four hours of weekly credit, the team will monitor Murray’s iPad usage to ensure he avoids activity that might “distract his attention” (actual contract language!) while he does this independent study.
This sounds perfectly fine for a middle-school assignment. I’ll even allow a tightly run college sports program. But this? For adults? Absurd. The amount of suspicion and mistrust baked into this contract — which could default, by the way, if Murray fails to adhere to the homework — is honestly bonkers.

Two true things: It’s a bad look for Murray for obvious reasons, and an equally bad look for the Cardinals, who were concerned enough about Murray’s preparation to put this clause in … but are still paying him $160 million guaranteed anyway.

Good luck to all involved.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 07:49:54 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2022, 07:55:58 AM »
Ok guys, I don't live in the Chicago area, but it seems the Bears are moving to Arlington Heights where they will build a new stadium.

Do you think it will happen?

I know many New Yorkers were unhappy when the Jets and Giants moved out of the city to play in Jersey, but that was so long ago no one cares anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/26/chicago-bears-solider-field-renovations-plans-dome-arlington-heights-nfl

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #502 on: July 27, 2022, 08:04:31 AM »
It will happen and most Bears fans will be fine.  Arlington Heights is pretty accessible.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #503 on: July 27, 2022, 08:09:40 AM »
Ok guys, I don't live in the Chicago area, but it seems the Bears are moving to Arlington Heights where they will build a new stadium.

Do you think it will happen?

I know many New Yorkers were unhappy when the Jets and Giants moved out of the city to play in Jersey, but that was so long ago no one cares anymore.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/26/chicago-bears-solider-field-renovations-plans-dome-arlington-heights-nfl

Yes, it will happen. Still years away, but it is a no brainer for the organization. The lack of owning their own stadium has always handicapped the Bears organization revenue wise. Arlington Heights is their opportunity to solve this.

On the fan side, Soldier Field is not a good place to watch a game. Outside a few voices, I doubt it will be all that missed. Also, most of the STHs live in the suburbs anyway.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #504 on: July 27, 2022, 08:30:23 AM »
Yes, it will happen. Still years away, but it is a no brainer for the organization. The lack of owning their own stadium has always handicapped the Bears organization revenue wise. Arlington Heights is their opportunity to solve this.

On the fan side, Soldier Field is not a good place to watch a game. Outside a few voices, I doubt it will be all that missed. Also, most of the STHs live in the suburbs anyway.

Will the the stadium be mostly paid for by the Bears or will the state kick in some dough? I know NY state is kicking in in excess of a billion dollars to build a new stadium in Buffalo where as the Jets and Giants paid for 90% of 1.5 billion for Metlife stadium. The Jets ownership wanted a retractable roof but the Giants nixed that part of the the deal, so no roof which I thought was a dumb move.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #505 on: July 27, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »
Will the the stadium be mostly paid for by the Bears or will the state kick in some dough? I know NY state is kicking in in excess of a billion dollars to build a new stadium in Buffalo where as the Jets and Giants paid for 90% of 1.5 billion for Metlife stadium. The Jets ownership wanted a retractable roof but the Giants nixed that part of the the deal, so no roof which I thought was a dumb move.

TBD. I don't see the Bears getting a huge chunk of government money for this project. However, it is likely they receive some funds for at least infrastructure improvements around the new site. This is going to be a huge complex. Also, it will be a dome stadium to host other large scale events. That's a guarantee.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2022, 09:44:59 AM »

YEP.  I'm a big Bears fan, have been since I was a little kid.  In the decade I lived in Chicago, I actually turned down Bears tickets more times than I went to an actual game.  By a comfortable margin.  Not a great place to watch a game and once you get to late October/November, its downright uncomfortable.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »
YEP.  I'm a big Bears fan, have been since I was a little kid.  In the decade I lived in Chicago, I actually turned down Bears tickets more times than I went to an actual game.  By a comfortable margin.  Not a great place to watch a game and once you get to late October/November, its downright uncomfortable.

This is an interesting comment and one that applies across both the NFL and college.

Unless your franchise is uber successful, actually going to a game in a northern climate is often a chore.  The viewing experience from the comfort of your living room has become a much simpler and oftentimes, better viewing experience.

The college games are long and so full of commercials, watching at the stadium is tedious at this point.  The Big Ten schools are learning this the hard way.  You may have sold out games based on ticket sales but actually having full attendance?  Not so much.

The NFL remains unique enough that it isn’t as glaring, but look at Ford Field and Soldier Field late in the season.  Lots of empty seats.  Mix in night games across the season and the in-stadium experience has lessened through the years.

There are unicorns, such as Green Bay but it wasn’t that long ago, there were plenty of Sundays in the 80’e when tickets could be gotten for cheap or simply couldn’t be given away.   
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2022, 10:23:40 AM »
There are unicorns, such as Green Bay but it wasn’t that long ago, there were plenty of Sundays in the 80’e when tickets could be gotten for cheap or simply couldn’t be given away.   

Even Packer tickets in December are insanely easy to get for a pretty cheap price. I probably could have found under face tickets for the 49er playoff game last January, but I had no desire to go.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »
On the fan side, Soldier Field is not a good place to watch a game.
I'm no expert, but I actually like the stadium to watch a game. This is the first time I've heard complaints about the stadium for actual game experience. Everyone I've talked to thinks it rates very high. Now it is on the small side which helps. Most everyone agrees it looks terrible and game day access & parking are not good. Compared to Denver where I've had lower level, club level, upper level and even a suite for one year, I prefer Soldier Field for watching a game.

I'd be cool with Arlington Heights and I think I'd really only miss the lakefront. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »

When I'm in my seat, watching the game and weather isn't a major factor, Soldier Field is on par with the other handful of NFL stadiums I've been to. It's everything else about the experience that's worse. Concessions are lacking, the concourses are narrow and bland, the bathroom lines are awful, getting in and out of the stadium is bad, and getting in and out of the parking lots is worse.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2022, 11:25:11 AM »
When I'm in my seat, watching the game and weather isn't a major factor, Soldier Field is on par with the other handful of NFL stadiums I've been to. It's everything else about the experience that's worse. Concessions are lacking, the concourses are narrow and bland, the bathroom lines are awful, getting in and out of the stadium is bad, and getting in and out of the parking lots is worse.

And that’s why the move is a no-brained for them IMO.  The game day experience is more than just the game now or has to be
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »
And that’s why the move is a no-brained for them IMO.  The game day experience is more than just the game now or has to be

More than that, between hosting other events and developing the surrounding land, moving to Arlington Heights will pretty much allow the Bears to print money. Most people don't realize how big that Arlington Park property is. The land needed for the stadium and parking will take up only about a quarter of the site.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 11:43:33 AM by Pakuni »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2022, 11:39:39 AM »
I'm no expert, but I actually like the stadium to watch a game. This is the first time I've heard complaints about the stadium for actual game experience. Everyone I've talked to thinks it rates very high. Now it is on the small side which helps. Most everyone agrees it looks terrible and game day access & parking are not good. Compared to Denver where I've had lower level, club level, upper level and even a suite for one year, I prefer Soldier Field for watching a game.

I'd be cool with Arlington Heights and I think I'd really only miss the lakefront.

I was speaking about the full experience. I agree with you, the viewing experience is good.

However, everything else about attending a game at Soldier Field is bad to completely sucks.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2022, 11:44:45 AM »
More than that, between hosting other events and developing the surrounding land, moving to Arlington Heights will pretty much allow the Bears to print money. Most people don't realize how big that Arlington Park property is. Th land needed for the stadium and parking will take up only about a quarter of the site.

Agree. Calling it a new stadium is an undersell. It really will be a large scale entertainment and shopping complex.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2022, 11:51:11 AM »
More than that, between hosting other events and developing the surrounding land, moving to Arlington Heights will pretty much allow the Bears to print money. Most people don't realize how big that Arlington Park property is. The land needed for the stadium and parking will take up only about a quarter of the site.

Yup.  I understand tradition and all that.  If Soldier Field could provide anything close to Arlington Park, you’d stay but they simply can’t. 

Packers have been pretty smart about this with regards to upgrading the Lambeau experience.  Until I started traveling for more sporting events did I understand what a bonus having these districts are.  In Milwaukee, if I were the Brewers, that’s what they need to start doing around AmFam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2022, 01:32:58 PM »
In Milwaukee, if I were the Brewers, that’s what they need to start doing around AmFam

Agreed and there is talk about developing areas of the parking lots like that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2022, 01:34:16 PM »

I love tailgating and it’s part of the culture but I wouldn’t complain about other options

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #518 on: July 27, 2022, 01:45:23 PM »

The areas along the river from 94 down to Fredrick Miller way should be developed into space for commerce.  The areas West of the stadium and East of Mitchell Blvd should similarly be developed.

If more space is needed for the vision parking structures should be built to compensate for the missing parking and land should be reclaimed from the lots.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #519 on: July 27, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
I know this is the NFL thread, but the Sox may end up in Arlington as well. A lot of Sox fans don’t realize it, but come 2031, they aren’t playing at 35th & Shields any longer.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #520 on: July 27, 2022, 07:18:32 PM »
I know this is the NFL thread, but the Sox may end up in Arlington as well. A lot of Sox fans don’t realize it, but come 2031, they aren’t playing at 35th & Shields any longer.

The last cookie cutter stadium built.  Bad timing like the Trop

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #521 on: July 27, 2022, 07:47:27 PM »

I'd like to think this is true, but I have a hard time believing Reinsdorf is going to fund a stadium on his own and I can't imagine there's any chance the state legislature or Cook County coughs up money to move a team out of Chicago.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #522 on: July 27, 2022, 08:06:50 PM »
I'd like to think this is true, but I have a hard time believing Reinsdorf is going to fund a stadium on his own and I can't imagine there's any chance the state legislature or Cook County coughs up money to move a team out of Chicago.

Will Jerry be around to make that call? Does Michael want to keep the Sox? Will this be an issue for new ownership?

I think the future of the Sox on both the ownership and stadium front is murky.

To bring this back on topic, Arlington Heights is huge for the Bears because it helps solidify the franchise prior to Virginia's passing.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #523 on: July 27, 2022, 08:12:52 PM »

The “planned obsolescence” clause in the original naming rights deal (pushed out to 2029, option for 2030 when Guaranteed Rate took over) all but assured the Sox are playing elsewhere in 2031. The last 3 years of the deal, ISFA has a clause where they’re not on the hook for any improvements.

Either Reinsdorf thought he’d be dead by 2026/2027, or he plans on selling in the next few years.

I agree with everything you said, but there is a definite showdown coming between the Sox and the city/state in some capacity. There’s no way MLB will host the 2033 MLB All Star Game at an “outdated” Sox park.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #524 on: July 28, 2022, 05:24:09 AM »
The “planned obsolescence” clause in the original naming rights deal (pushed out to 2029, option for 2030 when Guaranteed Rate took over) all but assured the Sox are playing elsewhere in 2031. The last 3 years of the deal, ISFA has a clause where they’re not on the hook for any improvements.

Either Reinsdorf thought he’d be dead by 2026/2027, or he plans on selling in the next few years.

I agree with everything you said, but there is a definite showdown coming between the Sox and the city/state in some capacity. There’s no way MLB will host the 2033 MLB All Star Game at an “outdated” Sox park.

It is hard to believe but Dodger stadium is the 3rd oldest park in the Majors and I don't think that park is "outdated". Perhaps the Sox are looking for a better location. It amazes me that some stadiums that are not even 40 years old are being replaced. As some have said it is not about the game anymore but the "experience".