[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JLew NIL fund  (Read 7200 times)

CAGASS24

• All American
JLew NIL fund
« on: February 03, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
Too early to start talking about raising big dollars for one more year for JLew?  Scoop Angel investor NIL fund - hell I’ll drop the bag of cash off myself at his dorm room.  Maybe he can perform at someone’s kids birthday party in consideration….
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:34:04 AM by CAGASS24 »

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
Re: JLew NIL fund
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »
Too early to start talking about raising big dollars for one more year for JLew?  Scoop Angel investor NIL fund - hell I’ll drop the bag of cash off myself at his dorm room.  Maybe he can perform at someone’s kids birthday party in consideration….
I stand for it.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 09:38:17 AM »
The last pick of the 2022 NBA draft's first round is guaranteed about $3.6 million for the next two seasons.
Justin is playing himself into that territory.
Good luck with your GoFundMe.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 09:47:39 AM »
Or if say an influential alumnus and donor to the University of Maryland would like to have his new coach have a building block his first year and maybe a Baltimore kid would be that guy. Then again. What if Jimbo shares some of his NIL slush fund with Buzz.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 09:48:21 AM »
Well let’s hope he promised someone a degree then!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 09:57:25 AM »
The last pick of the 2022 NBA draft's first round is guaranteed about $3.6 million for the next two seasons.

Justin was 33rd in the yesterday's Bleacher Report mock draft.   He's playing himself into that 25-45 range.

I'm going to enjoy his play the rest of this season and hope Shaka pulls in replacement through the transfer portal.

O-Max could take a big step forward as well.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 10:01:14 AM »
I wish him the best and would love for him to return, but he gone.

panda

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 10:05:24 AM »
Joplin will be ready to step in and play a similar role.

No one replaces what Justin has brought this season though.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 10:10:44 AM »

Yeah, he is exceeding that by quite a bit. I think he's playing himself into the first round as of late.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 10:11:46 AM »
He gowne
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 10:36:39 AM »
I thinks he’s definitely gone, BUT,

Staying another year to improve your stock and be a lottery pick becomes a lot easier to stomach for a family when a kid can make 500K in endorsements during that bonus year of college.  NIL will keep some kids because it’s no longer all or nothing. 

Also, 500K is an absurd dollar amount for a player or Justin’s profile.  It will definitely need to be a booster with loose pockets.  Top Green Bay Packers don’t pocket 500K / annually in local marketing.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »
Fire up the ol' Beer Dice fundraiser tournament. All cash goes towards the Justin Lewis NIL fund, winner gets to hand a giant cardboard check to Mr. Lewis immediately after he wins MVP of the national championship game.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 10:46:22 AM »
he’s on a full-ride at Marquette, yes? Want to get paid? I’m on board with that. Go pro.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 11:07:06 AM »
Let the young man go make his money in the league. No need to risk getting hurt next season for what is comparatively couch cushion change.

With the way transfers work now, “replacing” him is easier than it used to be.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 11:11:40 AM »
Or, we could just let him get drafted make 1.5-2 million in his first two years. And just use the Uncle Bucks nacho's NIL money to get a decent bigman transfer in

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 11:19:39 AM »
Stop looking ahead and let's just all be grateful that he stuck around for this year. He deserves the payday that's coming to him and then some.

It makes this year all the more enjoyable when you're not worried about where he's going. He's here now, let's appreciate it while we still can. Helluva player.

Go Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 11:27:58 AM »
he’s on a full-ride at Marquette, yes? Want to get paid? I’m on board with that. Go pro.

With all due respect, this is archaic thinking.

I'm happy that athletes have a chance to profit off of their names, images and likenesses as every other college student -- and, well, every other human being, can. It's about effen time.

I know from you're posts that you're a huge Marquette fan who definitely (maybe even desperately) wants to be a top program again. Well, all the other top programs are (or soon will be) doing what they can to help their best players get NIL deals.

All that being said, it will be pretty surprising at this point if JL doesn't go pro. Then I guess, you'll be ... happy?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 12:15:02 PM »
Kind of off topic, but is there any data on how NIL has impacted revenue for schools?

For example, if a small business that used to buy ads on Marquette radio broadcasts decides to funnel some money towards a player for NIL, that could mean less money for the school. Or has the pie only gotten bigger for everyone?

I bring this up because while people complain about players making money from NIL, is there any reason to? If the schools are making the same amount of money, and the players are also making money now, then it's a win-win for everyone right? What is there to be bothered by?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 12:24:19 PM »
What is there to be bothered by?

Mostly being bothered by any kind of change.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 12:38:26 PM »
Kind of off topic, but is there any data on how NIL has impacted revenue for schools?

For example, if a small business that used to buy ads on Marquette radio broadcasts decides to funnel some money towards a player for NIL, that could mean less money for the school. Or has the pie only gotten bigger for everyone?

I bring this up because while people complain about players making money from NIL, is there any reason to? If the schools are making the same amount of money, and the players are also making money now, then it's a win-win for everyone right? What is there to be bothered by?

The only people being bothered by this change are old men who want "amatuers"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 12:51:53 PM »

I am not a Bleacher Report fan, but he was up to #33 in their latest mock draft - getting close to 1st round territory.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2022, 01:00:07 PM »
With all due respect, this is archaic thinking.

I'm happy that athletes have a chance to profit off of their names, images and likenesses as every other college student -- and, well, every other human being, can. It's about effen time.

I know from you're posts that you're a huge Marquette fan who definitely (maybe even desperately) wants to be a top program again. Well, all the other top programs are (or soon will be) doing what they can to help their best players get NIL deals.

All that being said, it will be pretty surprising at this point if JL doesn't go pro. Then I guess, you'll be ... happy?
i just struggle with the idea of paying a student that’s getting a very very expensive education for free. Yes, MU benefits from a guy like Lewis’ basketball talents. And Lewis benefits by getting his education paid. If my thinking is archaic, old school? Maybe so. And yes, I realize NIL is the current and future path in college athletics. But, programs located in certain regions where commercial pursuits are not great will be hurt. Survival of the fittest, I suppose. As for Lewis going pro/my happiness…selfishly I hope he comes back next season. I think MU will be really good. And, not sure I see Lewis being nba caliber, just yet. Close, for sure. But again, I’m not a scout and commenting from a stay-so-MU-is-good perspective.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 01:09:08 PM »
Just gotta build a new team every year

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 01:10:15 PM »
i just struggle with the idea of paying a student that’s getting a very very expensive education for free. Yes, MU benefits from a guy like Lewis’ basketball talents. And Lewis benefits by getting his education paid. If my thinking is archaic, old school? Maybe so. And yes, I realize NIL is the current and future path in college athletics. But, programs located in certain regions where commercial pursuits are not great will be hurt. Survival of the fittest, I suppose. As for Lewis going pro/my happiness…selfishly I hope he comes back next season. I think MU will be really good. And, not sure I see Lewis being nba caliber, just yet. Close, for sure. But again, I’m not a scout and commenting from a stay-so-MU-is-good perspective.

The bolded has always been the case. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 01:14:58 PM »

Schools are not paying for NIL's. Private people or entities are. If I am a drama student on scholarship I can also earn money by acting or appearing in commercials. If I am a college basketball player who is on an athletic scholarship and a drama major, I couldn't earn those outside dollars. It wasn't fair and it encouraged under the table payments.

feedback