[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by PointWarrior
[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Final Take on "All-Access".  (Read 7726 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Final Take on "All-Access".
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2022, 09:32:12 PM »
Loved it when they were focused on one coach at a time. Both of them talking over each other didn't work. But as others have said, I only want it once a year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2022, 10:06:47 PM »
There were a few interesting moments. When Stubblefield told his team in the first half that they were on pace to give up 100 points, it cracked me up. A few other snippets.

But I came away thinking it was just too much. I wanted to see the action on my full screen, not have those two coaches taking up 40% of the screen, yammering away simultaneously, just about the whole game. Some of the time-out stuff was OK, but they were mostly filled with cliches and jargon, and then the play-by-play guy would translate it for the masses.

Had it been a close game that resulted in 5 time-outs being called in the final minute, and we had to listen to the cliches being yelled over and over and over again, it would have been borderline unbearable IMHO ... so thanks to Morsell and Elliott for making it a laugher with plenty of time to spare.

Agree with all those who say that if they're gonna do this, it would be nice to offer a "regular" feed, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2022, 10:11:00 PM »
I enjoyed it, especially hearing Shaka really coaching during the TO's.  Felt bad for the DePaul players, they were getting very little useful advice during their timeouts... much like what we saw in the past from MU's previous coach. 

I wonder how this would work in a close game with an out of bounds play and a few seconds left... would we (and the other team) get to see and hear the play as it's drawn up?

i would imagine there's some delay because I think the few times the audio cut-out was elimination of some words not suitable for prime time... Can anyone confirm this?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »
I want KO to come back just so he could do a game like this.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2022, 10:42:47 PM »
I want KO to come back just so he could do a game like this.

That would be too cruel to the guy who is in charge of the bleeping button.
Have some patience, FFS.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2022, 10:59:01 PM »
DePaul is entrenched in the basement of the Big East for as long as Stubblefield is coach.  The guy has literally nothing to say.  His players were just glossed over during timeouts all game long.  Screaming "blue, blue", and "Guys, guys" "Listen up", and then proceeding to say nothing does not inspire confidence.  Another poor hire by DePaul, how do they do it?

Shaka is impressive, and we are lucky to have him.  The team is engaged, he is inspiring, we are in great hands.  I really enjoyed listening to him.   He challenges guys, and demands ownership.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:00:39 PM by 94Warrior »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2022, 11:17:25 PM »
I was at the game so I am watching the recording now and am enjoying it.

I’m pretty much focusing on the Shaka and ignoring the game though since I was there. I could see it being annoying while trying the follow the game live.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2022, 11:19:58 PM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2022, 11:21:46 PM »
I really liked it, probably because I grew up around that kind of environment but I can understand why people didn’t.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2022, 11:21:52 PM »
I got a sore throat listening to those guys.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2022, 11:22:58 PM »
I got a sore throat listening to those guys.
Omicron

Viper

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2022, 11:25:38 PM »
Omicron
but, but, I wore a mask!
(Joking, just joking, no reason for anyone to get fired-up.)
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2022, 12:34:19 AM »

2:30 of pure silence e or the bleep button.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2022, 03:24:40 AM »
I like it 'cuz it keeps us safe from covid, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2022, 07:49:52 AM »
Hands down the best way to watch a game.  Audio of one coach at a time would make sense.  I used to coach a bit of HS ball, and have a number of friends (mostly Badger fans...3 that played D1...1 for the Badgers).  They all watched this game...they all loved it.  Everyone impressed with Shaka.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 08:17:56 AM »
Coach Lombardi used to argue that on game day, he was the most useless guy on the field.

If last night was any indication, I understand why. The coaches spent their evening yelling motivational yarns at their players. Maybe because we played so well in the second half, but they did not have to plan strategy or tactics. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see it.

With Stubblefield, it may be less that he's a bad coach and more that he does not have a lot of respect for most of his team. He's rebuilding and has some work to do tto get "his" kind of players at DePaul.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2022, 08:27:35 AM »
I liked it.  Would not want it every game but it was a nice change.   And interesting to hear Shaka in the huddles.    The odd thing is hearing them yell the entire game.   How much do players even hear them and how much to they do what he is yelling?   

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 08:30:10 AM »
I remember when Kevin went to USC. Had an acquaintance that had USC basketball tickets near the team bench. Told him not to bring any of his young nieces and nephews to the games. He said, I've heard it all. After the first game, he came back and said "Holy *&%&*^%, I didn't think anyone could swear that much. He swore more than he breathed."

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2022, 08:35:08 AM »
I would have preferred hearing selected portions of what the coaches were saying rather than everything. Partial access rather than all access. Some judicious editing would have made it easier to listen to. No need at all for split screen during the game. Voices alone is all that is needed (except half time/locker rooms of course). At least Fox does not conduct rambling interviews on split screens with guest athletes while the game is in progress like ESPN does. I hate that!

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »
If the choice is limited announcers and no commercials vs full-go announcers AND commercials? I'm picking no commercials 100% of the time.

I thought it was a neat format and a cool change of pace relative to a "normal" broadcast. Maybe it would wear thin if I watched it night in and night out. Bear in mind I though the Bill Walton commentary was fantastic, probably because I'd never heard him do a game before. I understand Walton's schtick wears out if you have to listen to him for more than a game or two, so this might be like that.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
I agree with most here that I thought it was cool for a Tuesday game vs DePaul in January, but wouldn't want it all the time.  I also thought it was too much to have both coaches yelling over each other for in game action.  Maybe next time only have the mic on for the coach on offense in the first half and on defense in the second?  Or go all one team and switch each commercial break or something. 

Also a dumb question I had - is it normal for a coach at the D-1 college level to be calling out his team's defense every possession?  Blue and Black were clearly for DePaul's zone vs man, and Stubblefield was yelling one out every time Marquette had the ball. I totally get coaching the guys on when to switch defensive schemes, but I don't know that I recalled seeing a coach screaming out the defense on the fly every possession like that.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »
You should be able to turn it off Herman.  if people really want to watch coaches and not the game?  Well....we live in a free country.
Fox is a private business.....
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2022, 09:11:06 AM »
Also a dumb question I had - is it normal for a coach at the D-1 college level to be calling out his team's defense every possession?  Blue and Black were clearly for DePaul's zone vs man, and Stubblefield was yelling one out every time Marquette had the ball. I totally get coaching the guys on when to switch defensive schemes, but I don't know that I recalled seeing a coach screaming out the defense on the fly every possession like that.

Kids do need to be reminded all the time, but agree that it seemed way more than necessary. And these aren't middle-schoolers, they're men. It's not as if he was yelling out one of a dozen different looks. They only had a couple. Put it this way: You didn't hear anything similar from the Marquette bench.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »
If last night was any indication, I understand why. The coaches spent their evening yelling motivational yarns at their players. Maybe because we played so well in the second half, but they did not have to plan strategy or tactics. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see it.

I think fans have a romanticized idea about what coaching is. They think that coaching is very strategic Xs and Os and the coaches telling player exactly what to do each possession and the players executing it. I think there are coaches that try that but it causes most players to play rigid because they are more worried about remembering and executing the plan than they are about playing the game.

Great coaches establish a culture and allow their players to play within that culture, they make the game simple for their players rather than more complicated. What I saw Shaka doing was strategy and tactics just not of the Xs and Os variety. He consistently reminded the players of how Marquette basketball is supposed to play and pointed out the little adjustments they needed to make to stay on culture. I enjoyed seeing the players chime in as much as they did because it tells me that they understand Shaka's vision to the point that they can coach each other.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2022, 09:21:04 AM »
I would like a special MU channel that only shows Shaka during the game, time-outs and locker room.  Turns out I don’t really care what the other coach is saying.

I’m sure Fox could pull that together, right?

It might be the wave of the future where you can subscribe to get all the games of your favorite team.

feedback