[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Health Care Workforce  (Read 16532 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Health Care Workforce
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2022, 02:20:39 PM »
Why would they be tested if they are asymptomatic?  I don't believe that health care workers here are regularly tested unless they have symptoms.

The were exposed to a direct contact who is. And that pretty much takes into account most who work in the health care field and deal with the vulnerable.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2022, 03:44:03 PM »
The were exposed to a direct contact who is. And that pretty much takes into account most who work in the health care field and deal with the vulnerable.

It may depend on the specific company/facility.

At our hospital, even with direct known exposure, if you've been vaccinated+booster and are asymptomatic, you don't need to quarantine or test.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2022, 07:35:38 PM »
NC Gov. Cooper calls for federal help as Charlotte hospitals struggle with COVID surge

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article257581938.html#storylink=cpy

Charlotte’s largest hospital system, Atrium Health, is currently above 95% capacity for hospitalizations, according to the state. The hospital system has already redeployed staff from urgent care and outpatient centers, limited non-emergency procedures and closed specialty centers, the state said in a statement.

On Friday, the governor’s office announced that Gov. Roy Cooper, working with Atrium Health, has requested federal support for staffing capacity from the FEMA and the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response. The state is requesting resources including additional nurses from FEMA to help hospitals deal with COVID capacity. A White House official said FEMA “is actively working with North Carolina to meet their needs.”

“The vast majority of people hospitalized with COVID-19 are unvaccinated,” state Secretary for the Department of Health and Human Services Kody Kinsley said in a statement. In Atrium Health’s facilities, 156 COVID patients are on life support, according to the hospital system. And 92% of those patients are unvaccinated.

This is the hospital where my wife works. She said they are so overwhelmed with Covid patients that almost all other hospital activity has ceased. She has several friends who have Covid right now, and several more who have quit because of the stress.

But yeah ... personal choice affects only the person making the choice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2022, 11:49:13 AM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »
https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2022/01/21/what-we-know-ascension-thedacare-court-battle-over-employees/6607417001/

"At will" employment only works one way?

So .. I was reading the reddit thread on this .. there were multiple health care workers who posted that .. in their field, a 90 day "notice" period was common practice. 

So yeah, on the one hand, workers can quit any time.  On the other, a mass exodus without "regular" notice is severe and likely hurts the health of the public in the area. -- This isn't an ice cream shop shutting down.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2022, 12:16:22 PM »
Common practice.    But 'at will' means they have no job protections and can be let go for any reason at any time.    Ergo, they can also leave at any time for a better situation.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2022, 12:20:10 PM »
So .. I was reading the reddit thread on this .. there were multiple health care workers who posted that .. in their field, a 90 day "notice" period was common practice. 

So yeah, on the one hand, workers can quit any time.  On the other, a mass exodus without "regular" notice is severe and likely hurts the health of the public in the area. -- This isn't an ice cream shop shutting down.

Fine, then the old employer that needs them that bad can back up the brinks truck and make it worthwhile for them to stay.

If these same people were fired, and couldn't feed their families or keep a roof over their head, no one should be saying that it hurts their health and you can't do it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2022, 12:24:52 PM »
Yeah that court ruling is a horrible precedent. They didn’t violate any contract. They aren’t violating labor law.  Even if they were poached, isn’t that ok?   So now the court can dictate if someone wants to leave for a better job?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2022, 03:22:16 PM »
The court lifted the injunction.  All can start at Ascension tomorrow.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2022, 04:20:48 PM »
Super-sad article about Mississippi hospitals getting overwhelmed by Covid. There is a horrible nursing shortage due in great part to nurses quitting due to burnout, low pay, the state's refusal to expand Medicaid and other factors. 2,000 unfilled openings for RNs and some of the worst health outcomes in the country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/23/health/covid-mississippi-nurses.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20220124&instance_id=51124&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=80567&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

This passage especially resonated:

That dynamic was palpable last week as Brandon Russell, 20, a certified nursing assistant, tried to stay chipper as he tended to the needs of nearly a dozen Covid patients. Before entering each room, he had to suit up with a surgical gown, gloves and two masks, even if the task was as simple as switching off a light. After exiting the room, all that protective gear had to be removed. The process was repeated dozens of times a day. The job pays $10 an hour.

Mr. Russell, who recently recovered from Covid, said the past few months had led him to abandon his aspiration to become a registered nurse. “I love my patients but I’ll be honest with you, I’m ready to quit,” he said. “It doesn’t help that whenever I bring up nursing school, every single nurse here tells me not to do it.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2022, 04:18:16 PM »
There was a group of people who were upset when there were lockdowns because folks who needed healthcare were able to get it (evaluations, elective procedures, etc).

Today, there is a lack of available healthcare resources due to unvaccinated taking up significant resources such as some areas/hospitals stopping elective procedures.

But I haven't heard the same outcry.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2022, 10:39:11 PM »
There was a group of people who were upset when there were lockdowns because folks who needed healthcare were able to get it (evaluations, elective procedures, etc).

Today, there is a lack of available healthcare resources due to unvaccinated taking up significant resources such as some areas/hospitals stopping elective procedures.

"Personal choice!" The unvaxxed freedom fighters get to personally choose that others -- even those who don't have Covid -- suffer the consequences of unvaxxed freedom fighters' personal choices. All lives don't matter.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2022, 06:13:06 PM »

A lot of the lack of Healthcare can also be chalked up to the amount of nurses who have quit over pay and conditions. Hell a hospital attempted to force employees back to work through the court system instead of paying an actual wage.

I know 7 nurses over the past 2 hears who have quit for better paying travel nurse jobs. After my workday today I'm thinking about it as well.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2022, 07:00:05 PM »
A lot of the lack of Healthcare can also be chalked up to the amount of nurses who have quit over pay and conditions. Hell a hospital attempted to force employees back to work through the court system instead of paying an actual wage.

I know 7 nurses over the past 2 hears who have quit for better paying travel nurse jobs. After my workday today I'm thinking about it as well.

I think it is wrong to assume that more pay will make nurses return to jobs that burned them out.

And frankly, I am not sure I would want to be cared for by a nurse who is only working "because they paid me a crap ton of money". 

Most nurses I know didn't get in it for the money.  And most of the ones that left didn't leave because they weren't getting paid enough.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2022, 06:17:35 AM »
I think it is wrong to assume that more pay will make nurses return to jobs that burned them out.

And frankly, I am not sure I would want to be cared for by a nurse who is only working "because they paid me a crap ton of money". 

Most nurses I know didn't get in it for the money.  And most of the ones that left didn't leave because they weren't getting paid enough.

Holy Christ, this is a horrible take.

If there are two professions in this entire country that are horrifically underpaid it is teachers and nurses.

They quit because they're chronically abused by society.  You know what makes it easier to put up with abuse?  MONEY.  Imagine being treated like a servant and getting a bunch of money... sucks, but people put up with a lot more if they're being adequately compensated.  And then think about what is actually happening, and you'll better understand the crises. 

What #UK here is going through is absolute hell, and he and his staff go through it for terrible pay.  Telling him that he (or his staff) don't deserve what they're worth is incredibly tone deaf. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2022, 06:34:54 AM »
Sez da guy hoos payin' minimum wages, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2022, 08:16:01 AM »

If there are two professions in this entire country that are horrifically underpaid it is teachers and nurses.

They quit because they're chronically abused by society.  You know what makes it easier to put up with abuse?  MONEY.  Imagine being treated like a servant and getting a bunch of money... sucks, but people put up with a lot more if they're being adequately compensated.  And then think about what is actually happening, and you'll better understand the crises. 

What #UK here is going through is absolute hell, and he and his staff go through it for terrible pay.  Telling him that he (or his staff) don't deserve what they're worth is incredibly tone deaf.

No one is saying they aren't underpaid. My daughter is a nurse and I am well aware of everything they are all going through.

My point is that the issues that cause burnout can't be solved just by paying current workers more money. They need to train and hire more people, and give them all the respect and working conditions they deserve.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2022, 08:36:28 AM »

Funny.  Meriter has a postings for RN jobs.  Minimum pay is $77k.  That don't seem like  chump change to me.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2022, 08:43:33 AM »
Sez da guy hoos payin' minimum wages, hey?

$14-16 per with no health insurance, that's pretty good these days.  Private employer pushing their employees on BadgerCare, just like Walmart.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »
Funny.  Meriter has a postings for RN jobs.  Minimum pay is $77k.  That don't seem like  chump change to me.

That's about 50% of what I pay software engineers

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2022, 01:51:28 PM »

And?  Comparative salary games for completely unrelated professions with very different challenges and skillsets is stupid and reflective of very little.

Are nurses very underappreciated and work an often thankless job?  1000%  Do I know infinitely more people who have failed out of or couldn't cut it in engineering programs (not to mention competition from international candidates for top engineering jobs) compared to nursing programs?  Also very much true.  There is actual reasons why the compensation is higher

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2022, 03:47:46 PM »

Everyone has their limit.  My wife is a RN at the largest hospital in our area and their hospital is a total cluster with nonstop turnover, for many reasons.  I don't know that the main reason is Covid burnout.  A lot of it boils down to the same corporate BS issues you see elsewhere.

She works on a floor that used to be a job many RN's wanted, but now they are losing people nonstop for all sorts of reasons.  Yes, they even lost some due to vaccine mandates, which ultimately haven't been required to date. 

Many are taking travel nursing jobs where RN's can make a lot of money for a 3 month period.  Others are taking jobs at other hospitals to cash in on the large signing bonuses being offered.   My wife's employer has been offering $25k sign on bonus for new RN's, but no such retention bonus for existing staff.  That pisses existing staff off and just gives them another reason to leave and go get a signing bonus elsewhere.

RN's are getting a 2-3% raise, which we all know is well under inflation, all with rumors flying of the CEO getting a six figure bonus.  Many are leaving hospitals for other types of nursing jobs.  There are all sorts of telenursing type positions today where a RN can make just as much money, if not more, to work from home or in an office/clinic that is a slower paced and more employee friendly environment.

One of my wife's friends left at the start of the year due to them threatening the vaccine mandate- she took a travel nurse job in Florida where she's making $70k to work three 12 hour shifts a week for 12 weeks.   Working 3 days a week in FL during the WI winter months for $70k, and chilling on the beach the other 4 days.  They really showed her!!  I'm pro vaccine. I'm vaccinated myself as is my family, but it just kind of makes you shake your head.

My wife has stuck it out to this point- for the reasons you mention- because she truly wants to make a difference and help people, but even she is starting to hit a breaking point.  Many of the issues that hospitals are dealing with they brought onto themselves, due to straight up corporate greed and showing they really don't give a crap about their employees.  The hospitals themselves clearly won't tell you that in the news and will point blame elsewhere, but it's a real issue.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 03:56:27 PM by GrimmReaper33 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2022, 04:28:28 PM »

*Chicago vs Madison
*1 year experience requires for the nursing jobs.  I'm guessing you aren't paying a new college grad a buck fifty.
*Other points made by Wags.

Other than that, good post!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2022, 04:42:25 PM »
*Chicago vs Madison
*1 year experience requires for the nursing jobs.  I'm guessing you aren't paying a new college grad a buck fifty.
*Other points made by Wags.

Other than that, good post!

Compensation is normalized nationwide with WFH.
Yes that is entry level salary, maybe 125K if the RSU package is great.
Sales people with a few years of experience are at ~$250k OTE.

I'm not sure that nurses and teachers realize how underpaid they are, or that the retired public realize where current salaries are at. I'm in my little tech company bubble though, so, you guys aren't wrong.

I think being an RN is a harder job. Like Warriorchick said, though, people going into nursing are doing it for different reasons than those working at tech companies. I can't imagine working as a nurse or teacher during this pandemic, you're getting it from both ends.