[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123672 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #1300 on: September 12, 2022, 09:21:20 AM »
Please indulge a mini-rant about ticketing practices:

I'm heading to my first Guardians game of the year tomorrow evening with my daughter. I've been meaning to get to a game and I'd like to see Ohtani play (disappointed he's not pitching in Cleveland). Anyway, there is a section that has five seats in the front row. Two are already sold and I'd like to get two of the others. They won't sell them to me because I'd leave a single ticket stranded. It's a Tuesday evening game and there are probably 20-25,000 tickets available. In the section I'm wanting, 155 of the 205 seats are available. And I can't buy two vacant front row seats because it will leave one seat open. Are you f'ing kidding me?! I'm going to buy two nearby seats and just sit in the seats that I wanted to buy. Also, in case you're wondering, all the seats in the section are the same price.

Stupid.

Agree that it's stupid. And agree that you should just sit in the seats you want if they're open when you get there. Have fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: September 12, 2022, 09:31:30 AM »

I'm heading to my first Guardians game of the year tomorrow evening with my daughter. I've been meaning to get to a game and I'd like to see Ohtani play (disappointed he's not pitching in Cleveland). Anyway, there is a section that has five seats in the front row. Two are already sold and I'd like to get two of the others. They won't sell them to me because I'd leave a single ticket stranded. It's a Tuesday evening game and there are probably 20-25,000 tickets available. In the section I'm wanting, 155 of the 205 seats are available. And I can't buy two vacant front row seats because it will leave one seat open. Are you f'ing kidding me?! I'm going to buy two nearby seats and just sit in the seats that I wanted to buy. Also, in case you're wondering, all the seats in the section are the same price.

Stupid.

Common thing in sports to not leave singles. It is stupid when its clearly not gonna be close to a sell out but it always happens whether its through the teams or online ticketing sites.

Luckily with baseball as you mentioned, you can just sit whereever you want. I buy the cheapest ticket possible for Twins games all the time and then just go where I please since they are always wide open.

Cant do the same for Vikes/Wild.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1302 on: September 12, 2022, 06:43:47 PM »
I know what constitutes an MVP in baseball is something that really gets some like MU82 going.

That said, MVP or not. Mike Trout is still the best player in the game.

7 straight games with a homer. Dude is insane.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1303 on: September 12, 2022, 06:48:10 PM »
The gentlemanly thing to do is simply purchase all 3 seats and use the 2 desired for your personal use. Either donate the other to a homeless dude or place your personal belongings there for more comfort while viewing the game, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: September 12, 2022, 10:13:57 PM »
I know what constitutes an MVP in baseball is something that really gets some like MU82 going.

I think they should give Trout MVP for both leagues this season.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1305 on: September 12, 2022, 11:15:22 PM »
I think they should give Trout MVP for both leagues this season.

Dale Long hit HRs in 8 straight games. He should get the MVP posthumously.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: September 12, 2022, 11:17:36 PM »
Dale Long hit HRs in 8 straight games. He should get the MVP posthumously.

He wasn’t on the Angels.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1307 on: September 13, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »

Stupid.

Can you call the ticket office?  Assuming you are trying to buy online.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1308 on: September 13, 2022, 04:27:02 PM »

Stupid.

It's the same thing for concerts. And yet when I go back a few weeks later to check in on tickets there are singles everywhere.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1309 on: September 13, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »
In the only home run race anyone cares about, Aaron Judge hit two today and is four away from tying the AL record. Hope he can do it, doesn’t seem like that bad if a guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1310 on: September 13, 2022, 10:31:15 PM »
In the only home run race anyone cares about, Aaron Judge hit two today and is four away from tying the AL record. Hope he can do it, doesn’t seem like that bad if a guy.

Meh. His 57 HR, 123 RBI and 1.106 OPS would be a lot more impressive if he weren't helping a team get into first place and stay in first place.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: September 13, 2022, 10:50:13 PM »
Meh. His 57 HR, 123 RBI and 1.106 OPS would be a lot more impressive if he weren't helping a team get into first place and stay in first place.

The Yankees are 22-28 in the 2nd half.

Judge has a 1.295 OPS in that same timeframe.

He’s a deserving MVP, but it highlights why people don’t care about Trout’s team sucking. Judge has been great. Yankees have been bad. It happens and it’s certainly not his fault.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: September 14, 2022, 04:29:06 PM »

Gotta admit that once the Guardians broke the tie last night and had a two-run lead, I was rooting for Trout to hit a solo shot.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: September 14, 2022, 06:18:43 PM »
The Yankees are 22-28 in the 2nd half.

Judge has a 1.295 OPS in that same timeframe.

He’s a deserving MVP, but it highlights why people don’t care about Trout’s team sucking. Judge has been great. Yankees have been bad. It happens and it’s certainly not his fault.

During that 22-28 second half, Judge has personally won at least 3 games with late heroics (that I know of, maybe there were others). So with a "regular" player instead of Judge, the Yankees would be 19-31 -- and that's just thanks to his late-game heroics, not to the many other things he's done early in games they won that helped them build leads. And he has to do all that in the crucible of a pennant race, not just for funsies for an also-ran team.

I really do get a lot of the arguments for Ohtani; he's a hell of a player -- and a pitcher too! I really do. But I don't get why some folks dismiss the importance of performing in pressure-filled situations.

There was a game last week in which Judge hit a tying HR in the 6th and then scored the winning run after having drawn a walk and advanced to third on an aggressive baserunning play. It was a crucial win, as the Yankees had been flailing and the Rays had closed ground. That same night, Ohtani homered twice. The second came late in the game to give the Angels a 9-0 lead; he swung for the fences, completely without pressure, and he connected. So, statistically, Ohtani had the "better" night ... but was what Ohtani did as "valuable" as what Judge did? I'm guessing some would say yes -- or that it was even more "valuable."

I happen to think Judge's night last week brought more value to his team than Ohtani's night brought to his; and that season-long, Judge is a pretty easy choice for MVP. Just a difference of opinion with those who disagree, that's all.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: September 14, 2022, 06:55:55 PM »
I can't find it at the moment, but I saw a graphic the other day.  Ohtani was leading the Angels in literally every major stat.  Average/HR (until Trout went crazy the last few weeks), RBIs, 2B/3B/hits,  OBP.

He also leads them in Wins, ERA, SOs, and IP.  He's having a great year at the plate but his WAR as a pitcher is actually even higher.

The fact that Ohtani is top 10 in SOs league wide, despite pitching 25-30 innings less than the other leaders, is crazy enough.  But the fact that he is not far off the AL lead in wins, despite being on a terrible team, is also nuts.

Ohtani is having an MVP discussion year as a hitter...while being an All Star caliber pitcher.  That is absolutely preposterous regardless of how good the rest of his team is. 

Its also amusing to try and use Judge's team success as a bonus for him when they've been terrible the last few months.  Feels like Yankee lovers ignoring Jeter being a terrible defensive SS cause of "The Flip" or his dumb fall into the stands catch.  Over weighting individual moments.

I'm not trying to crap on Judge or somehow imply he's not a worthy MVP.  If he wins I won't be bothered.  But saying he's an easy choice for MVP, implying its a no brainer just feels like "best player on one of the best teams" cop outs.  If he gets 62, I feel like he would win even if Ohtani won 20 games and hit .320 with 40 HRs himself.

I'll go even a step further with hot takes.  Judge hasn't even been the best hitter in baseball this year, Freeman has.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 08:02:57 PM by JWags85 »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: September 14, 2022, 07:49:39 PM »

I'll go even a step further with hot takes.  Judge hasn't even been the best hitter in baseball this year, Freeman has.
I am surprised the Cards fans aren't at your door with pitchforks  screaming Paul Goldschmidt's name

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1316 on: September 14, 2022, 07:53:23 PM »
I am surprised the Cards fans aren't at your door with pitchforks  screaming Paul Goldschmidt's name

Meth inhibits their motivation
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1317 on: September 14, 2022, 08:24:13 PM »

They’re busy. Some are at sold out Busch Stadium on a Wednesday mid September school night.

It’s 325 day.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: September 14, 2022, 08:35:31 PM »
They’re busy. Some are at sold out Busch Stadium on a Wednesday mid September school night.

It’s 325 day.
I'll bite. What's 325 day?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: September 14, 2022, 08:49:46 PM »
I'll bite. What's 325 day?

325 Day is the day Wainwright and Molina break the all time Battery record of 324 games.

https://twitter.com/ackerman1120/status/1570015756276101121?s=21&t=4JQrdbNen3pTeNbzenCkRw

Here’s a little bonus Big island fist bump with Big City last night as a throw in:

https://twitter.com/koltenwong/status/1569920177604550656?s=21&t=4JQrdbNen3pTeNbzenCkRw

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1320 on: September 14, 2022, 09:13:12 PM »
Albert Pujols filed for divorce just days after his wife had undergone brain surgery. Plus he's a right winger.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1321 on: September 14, 2022, 09:41:05 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: September 14, 2022, 10:14:23 PM »
I can't find it at the moment, but I saw a graphic the other day.  Ohtani was leading the Angels in literally every major stat.  Average/HR (until Trout went crazy the last few weeks), RBIs, 2B/3B/hits,  OBP.

He also leads them in Wins, ERA, SOs, and IP.  He's having a great year at the plate but his WAR as a pitcher is actually even higher.

The fact that Ohtani is top 10 in SOs league wide, despite pitching 25-30 innings less than the other leaders, is crazy enough.  But the fact that he is not far off the AL lead in wins, despite being on a terrible team, is also nuts.

Ohtani is having an MVP discussion year as a hitter...while being an All Star caliber pitcher.  That is absolutely preposterous regardless of how good the rest of his team is. 

Its also amusing to try and use Judge's team success as a bonus for him when they've been terrible the last few months.  Feels like Yankee lovers ignoring Jeter being a terrible defensive SS cause of "The Flip" or his dumb fall into the stands catch.  Over weighting individual moments.

I'm not trying to crap on Judge or somehow imply he's not a worthy MVP.  If he wins I won't be bothered.  But saying he's an easy choice for MVP, implying its a no brainer just feels like "best player on one of the best teams" cop outs.  If he gets 62, I feel like he would win even if Ohtani won 20 games and hit .320 with 40 HRs himself.

I’m not a “Yankee lover.”

For me, it would be easy to choose Judge as AL MVP for all the reasons I’ve already stated.  You disagree. That’s cool.

You think Freeman’s been a better hitter. That’s cool. Frankly, I haven’t even thought about it.

McGwire hit 70 in 1998 and didn’t win MVP. Nor should he have IMHO.

Ohtani is having another incredible season. What a great and wonderfully unique athlete. If he wins MVP I won’t be bothered. It wouldn’t affect me one iota. I’d just think the voters got it wrong, and I’d get on with my life.

Have a nice night.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1323 on: September 15, 2022, 02:13:55 PM »

It’s 325 day.

Sure seeing a lot of empty seats for a sell out. Maybe they all just went to the bathroom at the same time.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: September 15, 2022, 02:22:03 PM »
Sure seeing a lot of empty seats for a sell out. Maybe they all just went to the bathroom at the same time.

22nd sell out of the season. (46,459)

First pitch:

https://twitter.com/theathletic/status/1570209621796585473?s=21&t=MR2DL1k9x5Xol4kt-Tx3wA

Arenado’s HR in the 2nd:

https://twitter.com/ackerman1120/status/1570395226216484864?s=21&t=MR2DL1k9x5Xol4kt-Tx3wA

Again on Nootbaar’s HR in the 5th.

https://twitter.com/mlbhrvideos/status/1570226221891330049?s=21&t=MR2DL1k9x5Xol4kt-Tx3wA

Here are the attendance figures for all of MLB the past 20 years plus:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Perhaps you were watching the White Sox game?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:34:43 PM by shoothoops »

feedback