collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123596 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #850 on: July 16, 2022, 05:56:03 PM »
Nats won their one WS. Now they're starting over from ground zero. Will be interesting to see what it does to attendance and overall interest level. The fan base there strikes me as very fair weather (and I'm not necessarily saying that's wrong).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #851 on: July 16, 2022, 06:20:32 PM »
Nats won their one WS. Now they're starting over from ground zero. Will be interesting to see what it does to attendance and overall interest level. The fan base there strikes me as very fair weather (and I'm not necessarily saying that's wrong).

Their attendance has always been pretty crappy.  I think its a weird fanbase cause its a combo of the transient nature of DC as well as the fact that for people older than 30, they didn't really grow up with the Nats, so they were all Orioles or random team fans.   My BIL is a huge Nats fan, but he was 11 when they moved to DC, so he was in the sweet spot of getting into them.  His older cousins are in their late 30s and either couldn't care less about baseball (despite being huge Redskins WFT Commanders and Caps fans) or root for someone else.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #852 on: July 16, 2022, 06:44:19 PM »
Exactly. And I really hate it when they call something a "record" that isn't a record at all.

Being the youngest player with 140 HR, 90 doubles and 35 sacrifice flies isn't a "record," it's a mishmash of stats.

Everything is a “record” and everyone is a GOAT.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #853 on: July 16, 2022, 08:54:55 PM »
Love it when umps decide the game. Very cool and much better than players deciding the game.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #854 on: July 16, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »
OK, Juan Soto just turned down a $440 million 15 year contract.  That is $29 million a year for 15 years and he is 23 years old.

This is third offer Nats have made in last month or so because the Lerner family is going to sell the team and wanted potential buyers to have Soto as face of the franchise for years to come.

Now the Nats have come out and said Soto is here for the taking.  Oh my..... He is free agent after next season. 

Nats are a sinking ship and the hole is getting bigger.  They won the World Series a few years ago, but did not sign or traded all the stars.

Harper - did not get him signed as free agent, but won WS without him
Rendon - did not get to sign as free agent
Scherzer - did not get to sign as free agent
Trea Turner - traded
Schwarber - one year star, traded.
Strasburg - signed a $245 million contract and has pitched like 10 innings in past three years since signing
Michael Taylor - traded

So lets see who has the stock to trade for Soto, could be huge.

soto, harper, rendon, scherzer, strasburg all scott boras guys
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #855 on: July 16, 2022, 09:06:52 PM »
Love it when umps decide the game. Very cool and much better than players deciding the game.

It was a balk. Too many baseball commentators don’t want umps to actually use the rule book in the late innings, but that was pretty clear.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #856 on: July 16, 2022, 09:10:18 PM »
  soto, harper, rendon, scherzer, strasburg all scott boras guys

Boras got Strasburg and Rendon a combined half a BILLION dollars for a 3 AS appearances in 8.5 injury filled seasons and a single ASG at the age of 30, respectively.  He's a wizard.  I'm shocked every above average player doesn't hire him.

Harper got a fat deal outside of DC and then won an MVP.  Scherzer is still worth every penny.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #857 on: July 17, 2022, 07:27:03 AM »

Supposedly that Nats are going up for sale.  Hence one of the reasons Soto turned down the deal.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #858 on: July 17, 2022, 10:34:40 AM »
Boras got Strasburg and Rendon a combined half a BILLION dollars for a 3 AS appearances in 8.5 injury filled seasons and a single ASG at the age of 30, respectively.  He's a wizard.  I'm shocked every above average player doesn't hire him.

Harper got a fat deal outside of DC and then won an MVP.  Scherzer is still worth every penny.

boras is a pit bull who many teams hate to negotiate with.  me wonders if he's cost some players as well.
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #859 on: July 17, 2022, 11:30:58 AM »
Their attendance has always been pretty crappy.  I think its a weird fanbase cause its a combo of the transient nature of DC as well as the fact that for people older than 30, they didn't really grow up with the Nats, so they were all Orioles or random team fans.   My BIL is a huge Nats fan, but he was 11 when they moved to DC, so he was in the sweet spot of getting into them.  His older cousins are in their late 30s and either couldn't care less about baseball (despite being huge Redskins WFT Commanders and Caps fans) or root for someone else.

Orioles! No way! For any trues DC baseball fan it has always been the Senators.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #860 on: July 17, 2022, 11:49:18 AM »

Quite often winning a championship is a great catalyst to build a fanbase. Those who might not have been thrilled to give the Nats a chance all of a sudden had a star-studded championship team to root for. But then came Covid, and the factors and headwinds you mentioned surely play a role in the less-excited fanbase.

Totally agree with you about Boras. If I were a very good to great ballplayer (or maybe even just a good one), and if getting the best contract possible mattered most to me, he'd absolutely be the agent I'd want.

I agree with Billy about too much GOAT talk -- it's often just silliness, and it's always overdone. But Boras ... he's the GOAT!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #861 on: July 17, 2022, 11:55:36 AM »

So there may be a reason the market lost two franchises in the past?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #862 on: July 17, 2022, 02:57:35 PM »
Orioles! No way! For any trues DC baseball fan it has always been the Senators.

Nobody under the age of 65 in DC even saw the Senators play, so...

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #863 on: July 17, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »
Seems to me like Dylan Cease should be an all star

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #864 on: July 18, 2022, 12:10:58 PM »
Despite being a pretty decent MLB fan, I confess to never paying much attention to the MLB draft and don't entirely understand portions of it (slotting, $$ allocation, etc), but looking over the results, did find a few things interesting...

Sons of MLB all stars going 1 and 2 (Matt Holliday/Andruw Jones).  Also interesting that Druw Jones did all of his formative youth baseball growing in Atlanta compared to guys like Tatis Jr and Vlad Jr who grew up where their dads were from.

Kumar Rocker, for all his trials and tribulations, ends up being drafted higher than last year.  Hope he stays healthy cause his stuff is unreal.

Ive seen multiple articles over the years discussing the lack or downward trend in AA (not Latin) representation in the MLB.  Given that, interesting to see a pair of young AA HS players taken in the top 10.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #865 on: July 18, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
Despite being a pretty decent MLB fan, I confess to never paying much attention to the MLB draft and don't entirely understand portions of it (slotting, $$ allocation, etc), but looking over the results, did find a few things interesting...

Sons of MLB all stars going 1 and 2 (Matt Holliday/Andruw Jones).  Also interesting that Druw Jones did all of his formative youth baseball growing in Atlanta compared to guys like Tatis Jr and Vlad Jr who grew up where their dads were from.

Kumar Rocker, for all his trials and tribulations, ends up being drafted higher than last year.  Hope he stays healthy cause his stuff is unreal.

Ive seen multiple articles over the years discussing the lack or downward trend in AA (not Latin) representation in the MLB.  Given that, interesting to see a pair of young AA HS players taken in the top 10.

Wags,
Look at the Blue Jays roster and I guess sons of retired major leaguers pays-off.
Guerro, Bichette, Biggio, Guriel

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #866 on: July 18, 2022, 02:35:29 PM »
Wags,
Look at the Blue Jays roster and I guess sons of retired major leaguers pays-off.
Guerro, Bichette, Biggio, Guriel

I knew the first 3.  Its 75% of their infield, which is amusing.  I totally forgot about Gurriel.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #867 on: July 18, 2022, 03:21:19 PM »
I knew the first 3.  Its 75% of their infield, which is amusing.  I totally forgot about Gurriel.
Sort of.
Lourdes Gurriel Sr., was a great/famous Cuban Player, but never played in MLB
Lourdes has 2 sons currently in MLB; OF Lourdes Jr with the Jays and older 1B Yuli with the Astros
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #868 on: July 18, 2022, 04:00:28 PM »
Sort of.
Lourdes Gurriel Sr., was a great/famous Cuban Player, but never played in MLB
Lourdes has 2 sons currently in MLB; OF Lourdes Jr with the Jays and older 1B Yuli with the Astros

I knew - but he would have a MLB player if he could have.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #869 on: July 18, 2022, 05:02:47 PM »

Other picks included:
#17 overall Justin Crawford, son of Carl
#18 overall Cam Collier, son of Lou
#233 overall Mason McGwire, son of Mark

And #3 pick Kumar Rocker is the son of former NFL DT Tracy Rocker and #5 pick Elijah Green is the son of former NFL TE Eric Green.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #870 on: July 19, 2022, 10:21:09 AM »
MLB got a little aggressive with the pyro last night.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 10:24:00 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #871 on: July 19, 2022, 10:52:59 AM »
If Pujols had beat Soto in that second round, I was convinced it was fixed

MU82

• All American
« Reply #872 on: July 19, 2022, 03:45:26 PM »
If Pujols had beat Soto in that second round, I was convinced it was fixed

I've read a few accounts from those who think even the first-round Pujols win was fixed, including a writer from The Athletic. I didn't see it, so I have no opinion.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #873 on: July 19, 2022, 04:34:57 PM »
I've read a few accounts from those who think even the first-round Pujols win was fixed, including a writer from The Athletic. I didn't see it, so I have no opinion.

I could see it.  Most of his round I was like "lol this old dude is gassed."  And then he put up a pretty pedestrian score.  Fast foward to Schwaro, a nuke hitting animal made for a competition like this, and he suddenly was doinking the ball around before finally pushing to MAGICALLY tie Pujols.

At the end of the day, its just a sideshow exhibition event, so who cares.  But it was kind of odd

MU82

• All American
« Reply #874 on: July 19, 2022, 04:48:51 PM »
At the end of the day, its just a sideshow exhibition event, so who cares.

Indeed.

feedback