collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123416 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #650 on: June 15, 2022, 10:07:50 AM »
This has been a good thread. Keep your ‘stupid’ out of it.

Wtf?  Rocket posted some trivia.  You post nothing of value.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #651 on: June 15, 2022, 10:15:19 AM »
He posted that a 60 year old pitcher hit 2 grand slams in one major league game.

That’s not trivia - it is lunacy. Only you and him would believe that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #652 on: June 15, 2022, 10:17:24 AM »
That’s not trivia - it is lunacy.

"Lunacy" is what roQQet posts 99.7% of the time. This was innocuous baseball stuff. Let it rest; you'll have plenty of opportunities to comment on "lunacy."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #653 on: June 15, 2022, 10:22:53 AM »
Y kant wee all bea friends, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #654 on: June 15, 2022, 10:30:19 AM »
  1999 pitcher tony cloninger hit 2 grand slams in one game. the same year fernando tatis hit 2 in the same inning
This has been a good thread. Keep your ‘stupid’ out of it.

No kidding - On July 3, 1966, Cloninger hit two grand slams not in 1999; at least he had the year 1999 right for Tatis' feat.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #655 on: June 15, 2022, 01:32:41 PM »
I have big doubts on the Sox, but man this Tigers team really sucks.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #656 on: June 15, 2022, 01:41:50 PM »

Much different than feasting on a cupcake in college basketball though.

I'm worried as a Twins fan this could be the type of series that wakes the Sox up a bit. Gets them feeling confident at the plate.

Also, as bad as the Tigers are and as make shift as their pitching has been. Its overall been pretty solid.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #657 on: June 15, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »

Absolutely a brutal team. Out of the top 6 guys getting the most ABs, only one is hitting over .200. Tigers have a chance to be the worst hitting team in MLB history. Ever
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:04:55 PM by Jockey »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #658 on: June 15, 2022, 02:29:09 PM »
Absolutely a brutal team. Out of the top 6 guys getting the most ABs, only one is hitting over .200. Tigers have a chance to be the worst hitting team in MLB history. Ever
Oakland says hello. Their TOP hitter is batting .234. I think their team WAR is in the negative (whatever WAR means)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #659 on: June 15, 2022, 02:51:06 PM »
Story, Seager and Correa have all be far from flawless. Correa being the best of the bunch but missing a lot of games.

That said, my god did the Tigers draw the short stick for this season at least. Javy Baez stats should have him off the roster and in AAA. Ghastly numbers that have to have him close to among the worst regulars in the league.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #660 on: June 15, 2022, 02:57:03 PM »
Oakland says hello. Their TOP hitter is batting .234. I think their team WAR is in the negative (whatever WAR means)

And still, the Tigers have managed to score 40 fewer runs than Oakland.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #661 on: June 15, 2022, 03:01:10 PM »

That said, my god did the Tigers draw the short stick for this season at least. Javy Baez stats should have him off the roster and in AAA. Ghastly numbers that have to have him close to among the worst regulars in the league.

I said here in this thread that Baez and bryant were the worst two FA contracts given out this year. I stand by that.

Bryant is washed up. Once your back goes out, you are done.

Baez because he is just a bad baseball playert. Great skills and pizzaz, but a brutal player. If he can hit a 450 foot HR every couple of weeks, he is satisfied. Doesn't care about the strikeouts. Doesn't make any changes to improve. But, hey, he really knows how to tag guys.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #662 on: June 15, 2022, 03:43:03 PM »
I said here in this thread that Baez and bryant were the worst two FA contracts given out this year. I stand by that.

Bryant is washed up. Once your back goes out, you are done.

Baez because he is just a bad baseball playert. Great skills and pizzaz, but a brutal player. If he can hit a 450 foot HR every couple of weeks, he is satisfied. Doesn't care about the strikeouts. Doesn't make any changes to improve. But, hey, he really knows how to tag guys.

Thats a bit dramatic, its not like he's only a DH that has no fielding value.  But I think the ship of Baez becoming a consistent top tier player has probably sailed.  He is what he has always been.  A very good and incredibly talented fielder, great baserunner and generally very high baseball IQ player...and one of the most undisciplined and incorrigible hitters of the last decade.  And unfortunately he's shown zero interest in improving the latter. 

He's streaky and can get super hot.  He was very good with the Mets the back half of last year.  But he can also do what he did in 2020 and is doing this year.  And as he gets older, he won't have the athletic ability to make up for it.

He's one of my fav Cubs of my lifetime, but lets not forget he came up in 2014, had some huge moments...and then was back to AAA until the season was basically over in 2015 cause he couldn't stop striking out.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #663 on: June 15, 2022, 04:09:20 PM »
Thats a bit dramatic, its not like he's only a DH that has no fielding value.  But I think the ship of Baez becoming a consistent top tier player has probably sailed.  He is what he has always been.  A very good and incredibly talented fielder, great baserunner and generally very high baseball IQ player...and one of the most undisciplined and incorrigible hitters of the last decade.  And unfortunately he's shown zero interest in improving the latter. 

He's streaky and can get super hot.  He was very good with the Mets the back half of last year.  But he can also do what he did in 2020 and is doing this year.  And as he gets older, he won't have the athletic ability to make up for it.

He's one of my fav Cubs of my lifetime, but lets not forget he came up in 2014, had some huge moments...and then was back to AAA until the season was basically over in 2015 cause he couldn't stop striking out.

I guess the part I bolded is what I was saying.  I had a friend living in Tennessee about 5 miles from the Cubs AA team stadium. I still remember going to a weekend series while visiting and Baez had 2 walk-off HRs in the 3 games while getting several other hits and playing sparkling defense. I couldn’t wait for the Cubs to bring him up.

But while he has certainly had some moments, he has been a disappointment overall (in relation to what I thought he would be) and I think his days of mattering are over.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #664 on: June 15, 2022, 04:19:26 PM »
Detroit is on pace to score the least runs in a season ever.   Epically bad hitting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #665 on: June 15, 2022, 04:30:19 PM »
At least Baez was the most exciting baseball player in the history of the sport though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #666 on: June 15, 2022, 04:30:37 PM »
I guess the part I bolded is what I was saying.  I had a friend living in Tennessee about 5 miles from the Cubs AA team stadium. I still remember going to a weekend series while visiting and Baez had 2 walk-off HRs in the 3 games while getting several other hits and playing sparkling defense. I couldn’t wait for the Cubs to bring him up.

But while he has certainly had some moments, he has been a disappointment overall (in relation to what I thought he would be) and I think his days of mattering are over.

Oh absolutely.  I thought after 18 and 19 he was there.  He was a star.  I was ready for 2020 to be an aberration, as it was for many, and he still won a GG.  But its just been a disappointment.  I was happy he played himself into a contract with those Mets games, but going to a team seemingly going nowhere like the Tigers and playing like he has is just a total bummer.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #667 on: June 15, 2022, 04:38:18 PM »
The Twins have 3 runs in their last 36 innings. Are currently being 2 hit through 6 by Marco freaking Gonzales

If Alex Kirilloff isnt in the lineup come Friday.

For the first time in my life, I will have to just start cheering for a new team

Blue Jays are fun to watch, they also play their young talent. Might be a solid choice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #668 on: June 15, 2022, 04:39:19 PM »
He chases fastballs over his head and sliders a foot off the plate. Sometimes on back to back pitches.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #669 on: June 15, 2022, 05:25:14 PM »
I don't follow the Twins closely enough to have an opinion, but maybe the Twins brass might be afraid of wrecking Kirilloff?  He struggled pretty badly to start the year then had the wrist injury from last year pop back up, which probably will be an issue for at least the rest of '22.  I'm typically happy to lead the service time manipulation mob, but maybe seeing him rake again in the minors is just making everyone feel content at the moment?  I see he has reverse splits so far in the majors though, so unless that's oddly different from his numbers in the minors, its not like he wouldn't play once he's up. So playing time shouldn't be an issue.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #670 on: June 15, 2022, 05:49:01 PM »
I don't follow the Twins closely enough to have an opinion, but maybe the Twins brass might be afraid of wrecking Kirilloff?  He struggled pretty badly to start the year then had the wrist injury from last year pop back up, which probably will be an issue for at least the rest of '22.  I'm typically happy to lead the service time manipulation mob, but maybe seeing him rake again in the minors is just making everyone feel content at the moment?  I see he has reverse splits so far in the majors though, so unless that's oddly different from his numbers in the minors, its not like he wouldn't play once he's up. So playing time shouldn't be an issue.

He was 1/17 to start the year. Thats a simple cold stretch everyone has in baseball which was explained by a bad wrist. He went to the IL. Came back and started back in the Bigs. Went 4/12. Was then sent down AFTER the 4/12. Has now raked in the minors.

Miranda started his career 5/54. Luckily we kept needing bodies so he was never demoted and hes leveled out a bit at the plate(still a negative war thanks to his D though).

Larnach had a .670 OPS last year. Is now 4 for his last 43.

Kiriloff has a .722 OPS last year with the sore wrist(just ok).

Nick Gordon flat sucks. But they like the fact he plays 5 positions(only 1 of them solidly) and he has no options

Kirilloff has always been the best prospect of the bunch. Hes hit the best in AAA and hes had the longest sustained success in the majors.

Kirilloff shouldnt even be behind Kepler on the depth chart.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #671 on: June 15, 2022, 07:57:56 PM »
Devers entering that best hitter in the game convo with authority.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #672 on: June 15, 2022, 08:34:36 PM »
At least Baez was the most exciting baseball player in the history of the sport though.

He was really good at tagging people at 2nd base. I never thought that was enough to merit a bust in Cooperstown but whatever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #673 on: June 15, 2022, 10:24:19 PM »
He was really good at tagging people at 2nd base. I never thought that was enough to merit a bust in Cooperstown but whatever.

Don’t forget the slides! If there’s ever a Sliding And Tagging Hall of Fame, he’ll be a charter member.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #674 on: June 15, 2022, 11:26:07 PM »
Speaking of tags, there was a pretty slick one today by Rojas in the Marlins game.

The Marlins catcher also got “tagged” in the nuts by a baseball later in the game.

Almost made up for having to watch the Phillies vs. Marlins and write a script for it.

feedback