[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Omicron variant  (Read 30621 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Omicron variant
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2021, 06:25:09 PM »
This isn’t good right?

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1467245887357210624?s=21

My opinion:

It looks like he's taking 20 tweets to say that R_t for Omicron is probably about ~3 to 4 in SA, which is comparable to the observed R in the US at the start of the pandemic.

But R_t is not just a function of the virus, it's a property of the virus and its symptoms and characteristics mixed with the properties of the environment in which it exists. SA has low vaccination rates, high density, and a lot of poverty, all of which are going to correlate to higher R. The US as a whole has moderate vaccination rates, with vax rate being high in some areas and low in others, with mixed use of NPIs (usually more use correlating to higher vax rate areas).

I don't know that I'd extrapolate much from R values computed for SA, other than to say that the mitigations being used in places that have managed to get R below 1 should stay in use, and public health agencies should monitor transmission to see if rates are changing and consider increased NPIs if appropriate. But they're already doing that anyway.

J/k about it being my opinion. From a friend who studies this stuff.

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2021, 07:07:12 PM »
My opinion:

It looks like he's taking 20 tweets to say that R_t for Omicron is probably about ~3 to 4 in SA, which is comparable to the observed R in the US at the start of the pandemic.

But R_t is not just a function of the virus, it's a property of the virus and its symptoms and characteristics mixed with the properties of the environment in which it exists. SA has low vaccination rates, high density, and a lot of poverty, all of which are going to correlate to higher R. The US as a whole has moderate vaccination rates, with vax rate being high in some areas and low in others, with mixed use of NPIs (usually more use correlating to higher vax rate areas).

I don't know that I'd extrapolate much from R values computed for SA, other than to say that the mitigations being used in places that have managed to get R below 1 should stay in use, and public health agencies should monitor transmission to see if rates are changing and consider increased NPIs if appropriate. But they're already doing that anyway.

OK thank you.  Completely understandable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2021, 09:30:00 PM »
My opinion:

Thank you

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2021, 11:46:35 AM »
My opinion:

While I understand the logic, I'm not sure how much that rationale in the 2nd paragraph makes sense. The R values for Delta were about the same in SA and the US, so it would imply they might be a good and comparable model. Also, Omicron is looking like it is 2x as likely to spread as Delta (not good news), that is a property of the variant, so would be retained regardless of whether it is located.

I agree though, that this does indicate that mitigation procedures need to remain in place.

The good news though, so far it does not appear that Omicron is more likely to cause severe disease, and maybe is results in milder cases. Still too early to really make any broad claims in that regard, but that could be a bright spot.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2021, 01:17:20 PM »
I think he’s saying you can’t really draw much from that limited data. Using it to extrapolate worldwide isn’t valid. I don’t think he’s drawing conclusions other than that.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2021, 07:47:46 AM »
Some potentially good news coming from South Africa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Paq17X6ucQ

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2021, 07:56:02 AM »
#1 on the best seller list....

"Real Anthony Fauci."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2021, 08:01:37 AM »
Pablum for morons
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2021, 08:13:42 AM »
#1 on the best seller list....

"Real Anthony Fauci."

What happened?   You bought a ton of them and are handing them out with the toothbrush, miniature tube of Crest, and dental floss?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2021, 08:23:19 AM »
What happened?   You bought a ton of them and are handing them out with the toothbrush, miniature tube of Crest, and dental floss?

RNC bought them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »
As with so many things in life, the nature of the attacks on Fauci reveal far more about the characters and mindsets of the buffoons making them than they do about Fauci.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2021, 09:02:19 AM »
As with so many things in life, the nature of the attacks on Fauci reveal far more about the characters and mindsets of the buffoons making them than they do about Fauci.   

Yep.  Of all the people to target for blame during the pandemic, I have no idea why he is enemy #1 for some people.  (Well, I do know why, but yeah...)

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2021, 09:21:54 AM »
Yep.  Of all the people to target for blame during the pandemic, I have no idea why he is enemy #1 for some people.  (Well, I do know why, but yeah...)

It just makes sense.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2021, 09:50:21 AM »
Devils advocate...outside of the lunatics and aggressively partisan hacks, right or wrong, I think he's become the scapegoat/embodiment of the need to put a talking head out there to give updates on the virus daily, which leads to changing opinions/facts/statements as data and science developments change.

Also, as Ive said before, medical professionals by nature are extremely cautious and conservative when it comes to things like this.  Public policy/risk control/assessment are very different than a doctor/scientist whose goal is some form of COVID zero.  So their statements can come off really poorly to normal people.

But people who think Fauci is a boogeyman are dumb, but then so are the ones putting him on t shirts and deifying him.  But I guess at least they don't think he should be arrested.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 10:18:28 AM by JWags85 »

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2021, 10:14:39 AM »
Devils advocate...outside of the lunatics and aggressively partisan hacks, right or wrong, I think he's become the scapegoat/embodiment of the need to put a talking head out there to give updates on the virus daily, which leads to changing opinions/facts/statements as data and science developments change.

Also, as Ive said before, medical professionals by nature are extremely cautious and conservative when it comes to things like this.  Public policy/risk control/assessment are very different than a doctor/scientist whose goal is some form of COVID zero.  So they're statements can come off really poorly to normal people.

But people who think Fauci is a boogeyman are dumb, but then so are the ones putting him on t shirts and deifying him.  But I guess at least they don't think he should be arrested.

This is a good take.  But I haven't seen a lot of Fauci deification recently, and most of that was just because Trump handled it all so poorly to begin with.

Anyway, I just read a summary of the book our fair dentist is promoting...and hoo boy...it checks all of the boxes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2021, 10:18:44 AM »
This is a good take.  But I haven't seen a lot of Fauci deification recently, and most of that was just because Trump handled it all so poorly to begin with.

Anyway, I just read a summary of the book our fair dentist is promoting...and hoo boy...it checks all of the boxes.

Don't worry, they're not reading it.  They're just showing their circle of psychos that they own it.  Have to maintain the appearance.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
“The person who writes for fools is always sure of a large audience.”

—Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher and author, “Religion: A Dialogue and Other Essays,” 1851.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2021, 12:25:35 PM »
But I guess at least they don't think he should be arrested.

Or hung.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »
“The person who writes for fools is always sure of a large audience.”

—Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher and author, “Religion: A Dialogue and Other Essays,” 1851.

I have never made but one prayer to God and it is a short one.  "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous"   And he has granted it.   

Voltaire. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2021, 01:38:07 PM »

Also, as Ive said before, medical professionals by nature are extremely cautious and conservative when it comes to things like this.  Public policy/risk control/assessment are very different than a doctor/scientist whose goal is some form of COVID zero.  So their statements can come off really poorly to normal people.

Yes. I think there is naturally some frustration with things that he (or others) have said from a position of authority that have proven to be wrong/inaccurate by (get this) the science as it evolves, but it's in part because he's been forced into this public-facing public policy role that really was not part of his original mandate prior to the Biden Administration. Public Health and Public Policy need to work hand-in-hand, and there is some translation of the former that needs to happen to make it accessible and meaningful to the lay person.

The Trump Administration had no policy, and Biden has stepped on the rake himself (the grand re-opening this summer was a huge miss and resulted in whiplash with Delta emerging not long after), and Fauci is the victim of having to explain all of this as if it was some strategic and thought-out endeavor.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2021, 07:59:37 AM »

Yeah butt, how due ewe 'splain awey dat da book wuz ritten bye won of yo own, Bobby Kennedy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2021, 08:00:55 AM »

Yeah butt, how due ewe 'splain awey dat da book wuz ritten bye won of yo own, Bobby Kennedy, hey?

You don’t.  He’s an idiot.  Next.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2021, 08:20:05 AM »

I have no idea what you mean by "one of my own."  He's an anti-science idiot and has been one for a long time.

feedback