[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Omicron variant  (Read 30645 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: New variant
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2021, 03:54:03 PM »
Like you, I'm thrice vaxxed and have had Covid ... so I think we're invincible, yes?

As you as you take the ivermectin. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2021, 04:06:05 PM »
Take it like a multi-vitamin.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2021, 04:15:49 PM »
Which means it's been spreading here for at least a week...likely.  We'll see how this goes - hopefully it is just mild, and not long term symptoms.  But I'll believe that when I see it.

Given that everyone is tired, most are vaxxed (not much good against Omi), and the holidays, this *is* going to spread like wildfire.  The question is whether it's a "mild flu", or something a whole lot worse.  Sigh.
Is this confirmed? Admittedly I haven't been following it particularly closely, but it seems like only speculation currently, no?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
I'm not trying to ring alarm bells, or cause panic, not enough is known - including about vaxxed. But from my reading it does look concerning that this will spread quickly.  As I mentioned, the holidays and covid exhausted people are going to play right into this grimy little variants hands.   

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/worldwide-health-alert-cardiologist-says-223629945.html

Cardiologist in Israel likely got infected attending a conference in London.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2021, 09:01:28 PM »
I'm not trying to ring alarm bells, or cause panic, not enough is known - including about vaxxed. But from my reading it does look concerning that this will spread quickly.  As I mentioned, the holidays and covid exhausted people are going to play right into this grimy little variants hands.

But it’s their choice! It only affects them!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2021, 07:43:43 AM »
Our company just extended its travel restrictions through Q1 of 2022 due to rising cases in Europe and the omicron variant.
There goes our corporate meetings in Madrid in February. No side trip to Barcelona for me this year.  >:(

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2021, 07:48:48 AM »
Our company just extended its travel restrictions through Q1 of 2022 due to rising cases in Europe and the omicron variant.
There goes our corporate meetings in Madrid in February. No side trip to Barcelona for me this year.  >:(

Also Biden extended the mask mandate on public transportation until March.

Personally, I think waiting and figuring out what Omicron means for the next couple of months means before making these decisions would have been more prudent than just extending the mandate.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2021, 08:05:09 AM »

Personally, I think waiting and figuring out what Omicron means for the next couple of months means before making these decisions would have been more prudent than just extending the mandate.
Yeah, unfortunately a meeting for 700+ people has to be planned well in advance. I am hoping it is too late to cancel and they go ahead with it on a voluntary basis, but they will probably eat the cost and go virtual.
But mandates can be canceled, so hopefully, this variant isn't as bad as delta and mandates rescinded. I will take a more transmissible, but less harmful variant.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2021, 11:03:57 AM »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »

Disagree. People are nasty and public transportation masking should be permanent.

MU82

• All American
Re: Omicron variant
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2021, 02:20:15 PM »
Changed the thread title to reflect the name of the variant (there wasn't one when I started it). Will need that "new variant" title for the next new variant!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2021, 02:27:56 PM »
Disagree. People are nasty and public transportation masking should be permanent.

Those nasty people don't stop being nasty once they get to a crowded store, restaurant, bar, indoor sporting event, or work location.  You do see the stupidity here, right?

Also, if you've been on the subway in NYC or eaten food on a flight you know that not everyone is compliant.

If you want to continue to wear one because people are nasty, that's your prerogative.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »

That's a wild take.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2021, 03:16:06 PM »

If you've been on a flight longer than 2 hours since COVID and you still have this take, hoo boy.  Might get on well with my old neighbor who wore latex gloves to do her grocery shopping.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2021, 06:27:47 PM »
If you've been on a flight longer than 2 hours since COVID and you still have this take, hoo boy.  Might get on well with my old neighbor who wore latex gloves to do her grocery shopping.

Hours of wearing a mask don't bother me, but I'm not too worried about flights with the air turnover systems they have.

I'm more talking about the subway where people are on top of each other. Re: Hard's comment, it's clear he doesn't live in a city where he commutes via public transit. Every other situation he listed (crowded store, restaurant, bar, indoor sporting event, or work location) has better air exchange and more distance between people than underground train cars or busses in major cities. It's the only way to get around if you're underprivileged (or anyone, really), and people are packed in.

Masking compliance on the L in Chicago is pretty great from what I've seen. I expect to see it from now on during flu season in the fall.

Honest question: Why do masks bother you guys? Do you have trouble breathing in them? Is it a fit thing where you haven't found a comfortable mask yet? Or more of a feeling?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2021, 06:35:41 PM »
Hours of wearing a mask don't bother me, but I'm not too worried about flights with the air turnover systems they have.

I'm more talking about the subway where people are on top of each other. Re: Hard's comment, it's clear he doesn't live in a city where he commutes via public transit. Every other situation he listed (crowded store, restaurant, bar, indoor sporting event, or work location) has better air exchange and more distance between people than underground train cars or busses in major cities. It's the only way to get around if you're underprivileged (or anyone, really), and people are packed in.

Masking compliance on the L in Chicago is pretty great from what I've seen. I expect to see it from now on during flu season in the fall.

Honest question: Why do masks bother you guys? Do you have trouble breathing in them? Is it a fit thing where you haven't found a comfortable mask yet? Or more of a feeling?

Fear, paranoia and control

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2021, 06:40:05 PM »
Fear, paranoia and control

Bullsh*t.

They're uncomfortable and I hate breathing through them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2021, 06:42:50 PM »
Bullsh*t.

They're uncomfortable and I hate breathing through them.

My wife tried a few different sizes and that really helped.

We don't have to agree, just saying that I barely notice when I have one so it may be a fitment thing.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2021, 06:45:20 PM »
It's not a fit thing.  Honestly, almost everyone I know hates wearing one.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2021, 06:49:19 PM »
It's not a fit thing.  Honestly, almost everyone I know hates wearing one.

Got it. I have only run into feelings that strong except with my rural inlaws, and that's mostly based on their politics (I think, though it may be obesity). Edit: I'm not taking a shot at you, just thinking out loud.

I guess the huge benefits to public health outweigh the minimal inconvenience of having to remember to toss one in my pocket.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2021, 06:52:13 PM »
Got it. I have only run into feelings that strong except with my rural inlaws, and that's mostly based on their politics (I think, though it may be obesity). Edit: I'm not taking a shot at you, just thinking out loud.

I guess the huge benefits to public health outweigh the minimal inconvenience of having to remember to toss one in my pocket.

I wear one all of the time because it is required at work.  Never when I don't have to.  And these feelings about masks are from people of all political colors.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2021, 06:56:18 PM »
Doctors wear masks 10-12 hours a day. Nurses wear masks for 8+ hours. Those who work near chemicals 8-10 hours. And this was before any of us ever heard of Covid.

Thankfully, doctors don't just say, "Screw it, I hate wearing 'em," during surgery.

Personally, I've gotten to the point where wearing one doesn't bother me very much. If I didn't have to wear one in public places, great. But I do, and that's OK too.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
Doctors wear masks 10-12 hours a day. Nurses wear masks for 8+ hours. Those who work near chemicals 8-10 hours. And this was before any of us ever heard of Covid.

Thankfully, doctors don't just say, "Screw it, I hate wearing 'em," during surgery.

Personally, I've gotten to the point where wearing one doesn't bother me very much. If I didn't have to wear one in public places, great. But I do, and that's OK too.

Good for them and good for you.

I don't feel the same way.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2021, 07:03:43 PM »
Perhaps I'm a germaphobe, but I'm with Skat on public trains/busses.  Now that masks are "acceptable", they should forever be required in those particular germ spreading environments (regardless of covid).

Last flight I was on (last Fri), there were so many sickos coughing it was disturbing.  I wish we could have gotten to a situation where if you're slightly sick - stay home.  But since we're not there - wear a mask.