[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Former MU players still in college thread  (Read 67916 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Former MU players still in college thread
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2021, 10:33:36 AM »
Is Jamal doing anything different than he was at MU? He was a good spot up shooter who added a mid-range jumper to his game. He was also able to get some rebounds.

The counting stats look great, but it doesn’t seem like he’s efficient in getting them. I don’t blame Wojo for focusing on Markus and Sam over getting Jamal more involved. He kind of always seemed overmatched strength wise and did not have the ball handling skills to be more than a spot up shooter.

He's been pretty efficient. His 3PFG% sucks, but he's at 64.9% from 2 and still has an eFG of 54.8%, which is good. His efficiency is a touch lower than the past two years, but his usage is way up, so that's to be expected. He's probably going to run roughshod over the Horizon.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2021, 10:53:31 AM »
When I have watched him, he has a really good PG.  Jamal is slipping into open spots near the basket, getting the pass, and finishing.  Both hands.  Just different than what i was used to seeing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »
Jamal was a worse ball handler than most guards you'll see in the Padre Serra tournament.  He's a career 36% three point shooter from college range, but when his volume went up the last two years his percentage has gone down significantly (34% last year and 20% this year).  He's not exactly a lockdown defender, and isn't a high energy, glue guy type player.  I'm not sure what there is to think he'll play in the NBA, other than being the best player at Oakland University.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2021, 07:24:03 PM »
Not a former MU player, but figured this would fit here.

Man tyrese hunter is a player.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »

Wojo cooled on him

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2021, 09:39:38 PM »

Maybe Shaka can convince him to transfer back to MU.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2021, 10:31:33 PM »
Maybe Shaka can convince him to transfer back to MU.

Man, I'd love that. A major miss from the prior regime.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2021, 07:18:13 AM »
Man, I'd love that. A major miss from the prior regime.

Why is this Hunter recruitment issue always brought up?  Hunter was offered before Mitchell and had every opportunity to commit to MU prior to committing to Iowa State.  I believe the MU Scooper who said MU was his "dream school", but why he did not commit is unknown to all.

Hunter committed to Iowa State on 8/4/20, then the very next day, 8/5/20, Mitchell committed to MU.  As I read that, I am presuming Hunter was the #1 priority and when he turned down MU, they went with option #2 with Mitchell. 

Hunter looks like a very nice player and probably deserving of his #35 ranking in Rivals, Mitchell was ranked #83 and has displayed potential to be a good rotation player in MU's future. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2021, 07:28:32 AM »
Why is this Hunter recruitment issue always brought up?  Hunter was offered before Mitchell and had every opportunity to commit to MU prior to committing to Iowa State.  I believe the MU Scooper who said MU was his "dream school", but why he did not commit is unknown to all.

Hunter committed to Iowa State on 8/4/20, then the very next day, 8/5/20, Mitchell committed to MU.  As I read that, I am presuming Hunter was the #1 priority and when he turned down MU, they went with option #2 with Mitchell. 

Hunter looks like a very nice player and probably deserving of his #35 ranking in Rivals, Mitchell was ranked #83 and has displayed potential to be a good rotation player in MU's future. 

From TedBaxter, who knows recruiting pretty well.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=61522.msg1315323#msg1315323

"No, the truth is that Marquette recruited Hunter as hard or harder than anyone in this class.  The person I talk to talks to coaches, including St. Cat's Nick Bennett.  Tyrese felt Iowa State was a better fit."

So the real questions are...

1. Would Tyrese have felt better with Shaka?  (A complete hypothetical.) and

2  When is Marquette going to stop letting Wisconsin players named Tyrese go to Iowa State?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2021, 07:38:02 AM »
I believe a poster here taught at Hunter’s high school and said MU was his dream school. Wojo might have been first to offer, but he took a long time to do it.

A thought is Wojo waited too long to offer and that led him to go to Iowa State. Not sure if it’s accurate, but one of the reasons people view it as a miss for Wojo.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2021, 07:45:29 AM »
We should rehire Wojo and fire him again for this
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

nyg

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2021, 07:53:19 AM »

From TedBaxter, who knows recruiting pretty well.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=61522.msg1315323#msg1315323

"No, the truth is that Marquette recruited Hunter as hard or harder than anyone in this class.  The person I talk to talks to coaches, including St. Cat's Nick Bennett.  Tyrese felt Iowa State was a better fit."

So the real questions are...

1. Would Tyrese have felt better with Shaka?  (A complete hypothetical.) and

2  When is Marquette going to stop letting Wisconsin players named Tyrese go to Iowa State?

Hypothetical-correct.  Since Wojo is mentioned in every topic/thread on this board and is blamed for everything.

Hunter had every opportunity to attend MU and was not offered late.  No one knows why, but I'll go with Ted Baxter's knowledge/insight. 

Once Wojo left, Hunter could have left Iowa State since Iowa State also made a coaching change if he wanted to feel better with Shaka.  Wish Hunter well, he made his choice, but I also hope Mitchell improves as the year goes on. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »
I believe a poster here taught at Hunter’s high school and said MU was his dream school. Wojo might have been first to offer, but he took a long time to do it.

That’s a pretty lame criticism. Just because a school is your hypothetical “dream school” that doesn’t mean it is ultimately the best one after you rationally look at the alternatives.

But it was a recruiting miss for Wojo no doubt. And many other coaches as welll.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2021, 08:58:17 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2021, 11:06:07 AM »
So Hunter felt so spurned that MU waited so long to offer him that he went…to a school that waited even longer to offer him?

Checks out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »
Jamal was a worse ball handler than most guards you'll see in the Padre Serra tournament.  He's a career 36% three point shooter from college range, but when his volume went up the last two years his percentage has gone down significantly (34% last year and 20% this year).  He's not exactly a lockdown defender, and isn't a high energy, glue guy type player.  I'm not sure what there is to think he'll play in the NBA, other than being the best player at Oakland University.

Well

Under the hypothetical scenario he does make the NBA. He’s not gonna be taking high volume 3s..
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2021, 12:18:54 PM »
Well

Under the hypothetical scenario he does make the NBA. He’s not gonna be taking high volume 3s..

Agreed. So what, exactly, is it that he brings to an NBA team?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »
Jamal with another monster game last night:

28 points, 9 rebounds, 3 steals, 4 TOs.  Shot 8-9 from 2 and 2-3 from 3.

For those referencing his 20% 3-pt shooting percentage prior to last night's game, that's absurd.  He will end up shooting 35-40% from 3 for the year. 

Jamal can be a 3 and D NBA player.  I'd put his NBA chances at 80% in the next two years.

panda

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »

For those referencing his 20% 3-pt shooting percentage prior to last night's game, that's absurd.  He will end up shooting 35-40% from 3 for the year. 

Jamal can be a 3 and D NBA player.  I'd put his NBA chances at 80% in the next two years.

For comparison sake, Sam Hauser is an infinitely better ball player than Jamal is and he’s on a two way deal.

Jamal ain’t makin the league and that’s not a slight to him at all.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2021, 01:05:07 PM »
For comparison sake, Sam Hauser is an infinitely better ball player than Jamal is and he’s on a two way deal.

Jamal ain’t makin the league and that’s not a slight to him at all.

Yeah. I mean Sam is on a 2 way deal and Markus is only on a roster because injuries over the past two years. Yet people apparently think Jamal’s shooting give him an 80% chance to be on an NBA roster over the next 2 years.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »

The Netherlands Basketball Association. Yeah, I can see that, but maybe not at 80%.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2021, 01:11:33 PM »

How much you want on that? No disrespect but that is absolutely insane

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2021, 01:23:05 PM »
3 & D?

Jamal doesn't even have a very good percentage from the college 3. And he was an average to poor defender at the P6 level.

I won't say "never." See: Anderson, Juan. But I would be willing to bet against it.

Cain's a fine Horizon League player, though. Probably even all-Horizon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2021, 02:23:12 PM »
I agree that Jamal will get a cup of coffee in the NBA, but 80% in next two years is too rich for my blood. Think he takes the JTA path
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »
Hypothetical-correct.  Since Wojo is mentioned in every topic/thread on this board and is blamed for everything.

Hunter had every opportunity to attend MU and was not offered late.  No one knows why, but I'll go with Ted Baxter's knowledge/insight. 

Once Wojo left, Hunter could have left Iowa State since Iowa State also made a coaching change if he wanted to feel better with Shaka.  Wish Hunter well, he made his choice, but I also hope Mitchell improves as the year goes on.
Wojo-Dukiet should be blamed for everything because he was mediocre at best and blew Hausergate big time
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.