[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Guard Play  (Read 4596 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
MU Guard Play
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »
Looking forward is it plausible Mitchell is an immediate impact G?  With solid handles?  It seems to me we must add a competent G on the transfer market. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: MU Guard Play
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:50:38 AM »
Looking forward is it plausible Mitchell is an immediate impact G?  With solid handles?  It seems to me we must add a competent G on the transfer market.

In the description of Mitchell by Travis Banham on 24/7, the first comment was that he "has a polished handle with advanced footwork." If that's accurate, he could be a critical addition.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:16:24 AM »
Looking forward is it plausible Mitchell is an immediate impact G?

Yes. I've watched a couple of his full games that have been posted online. This is his latest one. Scores 35 of his team's 55 points en route to a county championship. I personally think he's currently underrated. I think he will have a Justin Lewis level impact as a FR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLx4vySt8Y&feature=youtu.be
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:22:17 AM »
Yes. I've watched a couple of his full games that have been posted online. This is his latest one. Scores 35 of his team's 55 points en route to a county championship. I personally think he's currently underrated. I think he will have a Justin Lewis level impact as a FR.

That's promising.  We have so many holes to fill but we could have two very promising Frosh.  The guard play was brutal yesterday to put it mildly.  I'd like to add someone who can handle as well as a knockdown shooter

panda

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 01:51:01 PM »

I think both he and Aidoo will be good four year players but will have limitations to be consistent contributors to elevate the team
Next year.

Aidoo will struggle defensively and I don’t see him being the vaunted shot blocker he is in HS. At least not next season. Most of his blocks are because he’s much taller than his opponents. Not because he has great blocking instincts. He can be a good pick and pop guy on the offensive end with his nice litttle 15 footer. He doesn’t have a ton of lift from a standing position, but once he gets a few steps is when his athleticism is showing at this stage. Still getting used to his body.

Mitchel has very good PG instincts, but does not appear to be quick enough or big enough to be a solid contributor next year. He’ll be a great four year player but athleticism and speed will hold him back next year.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »
I think both he and Aidoo will be good four year players but will have limitations to be consistent contributors to elevate the team
Next year.

Aidoo will struggle defensively and I don’t see him being the vaunted shot blocker he is in HS. At least not next season. Most of his blocks are because he’s much taller than his opponents. Not because he has great blocking instincts. He can be a good pick and pop guy on the offensive end with his nice litttle 15 footer. He doesn’t have a ton of lift from a standing position, but once he gets a few steps is when his athleticism is showing at this stage. Still getting used to his body.

Mitchel has very good PG instincts, but does not appear to be quick enough or big enough to be a solid contributor next year. He’ll be a great four year player but athleticism and speed will hold him back next year.

Does Wojo know how to do that?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 05:17:20 PM »
Next year.

Hard to believe they did not go all in for Hunter, really a quick kid, really wondering what the true story was on this.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 07:23:00 PM »
Carton stunk yesterday. Torrance and Lewis played well. Mitchell can step in and take over.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 07:24:25 PM »
Carton stunk yesterday. Torrance and Lewis played well. Mitchell can step in and take over.
Mitchell will be very good from what I can tell. But if you are telling me he’s gonna immediately be better than what carton has consistently provided for us I think that’s a massive stretch. You have to remember he’s just a freshman!

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 07:28:07 PM »
Mitchell will be very good from what I can tell. But if you are telling me he’s gonna immediately be better than what carton has consistently provided for us I think that’s a massive stretch. You have to remember he’s just a freshman!

Yep and that’s why I’m not bullish on our prospects for next season either. Aidoo and Mitchell are both great four year prospects, but neither are remotely skilled enough to make significant contributions next season. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 07:30:56 PM »
Yep and that’s why I’m not bullish on our prospects for next season either. Aidoo and Mitchell are both great four year prospects, but neither are remotely skilled enough to make significant contributions next season.
Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but what first hand knowledge do you have of these recruits?  How many times have you seen them play? 

panda

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 07:37:08 PM »
Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but what first hand knowledge do you have of these recruits?  How many times have you seen them play?

Both of them have full games available on YouTube.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 07:48:37 PM »
It would by nice if Symir took some confidence from his performance and parlays it into becoming the guard we hoped/expected based on his recruiting. I like Sy a lot and he seems to really love the program. I think it is most likely that his performance was more of a result of UConn having the game well in hand, i.e., garbage time, than the turning of a corner unfortunately.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 07:53:29 PM »
I guess we are at the point where Symir going 3-5, 1-2 from the line, 7 points and 1 assist is "playing well" and is considered hope for the future.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 08:11:04 PM »
Our overall guard play, regardless of Carton's talent, has been nowhere close to where it needs to be moving forward.  Every player has a bad shooting night but you can help your team in numerous ways.  So in addition to the constant brick city , we have also failed in all the other categories and nuances of the game. 

Whether it be unforced turns, over dribbling,  being totemic defensively, giving help late and refusing to draw charges, not usurping long rebs, bitching and moaning about calls, playing with hesitation and no poise, or exhibiting zero tenacity or leadership, we are talking about some of the worst overall guard play you will ever see from a P-6 program.  And no, I'm not being hyperbolic.  God awful and inexcusable.  Find a way to compete and help your team. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 08:32:31 PM »
I guess we are at the point where Symir going 3-5, 1-2 from the line, 7 points and 1 assist is "playing well" and is considered hope for the future.
I would take 7 points from the backup PG pretty much every night.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 08:38:08 PM »
I would take 7 points from the backup PG pretty much every night.

Sure. But it’s a clear outlier and has no real bearing on next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 08:53:22 PM »
Sure. But it’s a clear outlier and has no real bearing on next year.
Yeah, I agree it is most likely an outlier, and IMO it was mostly in garbage time. Still would be nice if he would find a way to build on it as I think he can perform a lot better than we've seen.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 10:12:15 PM »
This nugget from Andrei is pretty interesting:

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1365793597501673474

DJ's jumper breakdown is so baffling.

Unguarded Spot Up: .469 PPP
Guarded Spot Up: 1.0 PPP
Off the dribble: 1.14 PPP

It makes no sense.

I knew Carton was bad hitting unguarded threes but that's putrid. I also didn't realize how much better his threes were when guarded.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 11:57:38 PM »

Hard to believe they did not go all in for Hunter, really a quick kid, really wondering what the true story was on this.

I think the truth is they liked Mitchell better.  We'll see if they end up being right
TAMU

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 06:17:36 AM »
I think the truth is they liked Mitchell better.  We'll see if they end up being right

No, the truth is that Marquette recruited Hunter as hard or harder than anyone in this class.  The person I talk to talks to coaches, including St. Cat's Nick Bennett.  Tyrese felt Iowa State was a better fit.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 06:23:51 AM »
I've seen this episode before

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 08:24:22 AM »
No, the truth is that Marquette recruited Hunter as hard or harder than anyone in this class.  The person I talk to talks to coaches, including St. Cat's Nick Bennett.  Tyrese felt Iowa State was a better fit.

Both are statements can be true. I think part of Hunter's decision about Iowa State being a better fit included Stevie Mitchell not being there.
TAMU

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 08:47:19 AM »
Mugs is dead on. I've been blasted for saying DJ is not a true point guard, but he's not. He should be a starting 2, with the ability to play the point if necessary. For those now excited about Sy, please look at the 2 year body of work. During the long drought between time outs in the first half Saturday he was at the point. Did we get close to the basket? He may improve a bit but at this point he cannot penetrate, slash, create or defend let alone shoot. Stevie may help but will be a freshman.

We need two transfers who can handle the ball and create, regardless of who coaches next season. Doesn't matter if they are guards, wings or interchangeable. Much of our issue with turnovers is simply the inability to make a solid pass and the overall weakness of this group to hold the ball or dribble without being stripped or falling down.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 10:30:54 AM »
Both are statements can be true. I think part of Hunter's decision about Iowa State being a better fit included Stevie Mitchell not being there.

Iowa St definitely has early playing time that is for sure.