collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 05:12:57 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22  (Read 80865 times)

panda

• All American
Re: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22
« Reply #1125 on: February 25, 2022, 09:34:47 PM »
100%. Durant couldn’t do one bench press at 185 at the NBA combine. Garnett was more scrawny coming out if HS than Chet is now. Giannis is an excellent comparison too. His guard skills, thanks to his late growth spurt, are what set him apart.

Yep - the default knock on Chet is “he’s too soft for the nba.” That may be true year one but he has enough skills to stay on the floor and contribute from day 1. Watch out once his body catches up with his skill set.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1126 on: February 25, 2022, 09:39:18 PM »
Yep - the default knock on Chet is “he’s too soft for the nba.” That may be true year one but he has enough skills to stay on the floor and contribute from day 1. Watch out once his body catches up with his skill set.

He’s a potential unicorn.  So much of the draft is based on potential anyway, I’d take him over any other player.

Jabari, Paolo and Jaden might be All-Stars but Chet could be a franchise defining player.  Maybe he won’t be but I think it’s worth the risk as the 3 I mentioned might be really good but as Robins versus Batmans
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: February 25, 2022, 09:54:33 PM »
He’s a potential unicorn.  So much of the draft is based on potential anyway, I’d take him over any other player.

Jabari, Paolo and Jaden might be All-Stars but Chet could be a franchise defining player.  Maybe he won’t be but I think it’s worth the risk as the 3 I mentioned might be really good but as Robins versus Batmans

I don’t see him as a superstar/cornerstone piece. He doesn’t have the athleticism that will make up for his lack of bulk.

He will be a long time pro, playing at an all star level in his prime, but I don’t see him dominating throughout his career. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1128 on: February 25, 2022, 10:22:41 PM »
I don’t see him as a superstar/cornerstone piece. He doesn’t have the athleticism that will make up for his lack of bulk.

He will be a long time pro, playing at an all star level in his prime, but I don’t see him dominating throughout his career.

I don’t know.  If the body fills out, he has the chance to be.  That’s why I say potential.  I don’t see that from the other guys around him.  Good players, not necessarily superstars.

A lot of it will have to do with desire to be great.  Skinny dudes like KD and Giannis that bulked up and became great had the desire to be great and not just another guy.  That matters! 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: February 26, 2022, 05:45:29 AM »
100%. Durant couldn’t do one bench press at 185 at the NBA combine. Garnett was more scrawny coming out if HS than Chet is now. Giannis is an excellent comparison too. His guard skills, thanks to his late growth spurt, are what set him apart.
Garnett was measured at 6 11-215 lbs at the predraft camp, Holmgren is listed at 7 ft, 195. Giannis is not a good comparison, as Giannis always had out of this world athleticism, Holmgren doesn't seem to have that.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: February 26, 2022, 06:09:07 AM »
I don’t know.  If the body fills out, he has the chance to be.  That’s why I say potential.  I don’t see that from the other guys around him.  Good players, not necessarily superstars.

A lot of it will have to do with desire to be great.  Skinny dudes like KD and Giannis that bulked up and became great had the desire to be great and not just another guy.  That matters!

The difference between Chet and kd/giannis is that Chet doesn’t have the one out of this world talent. Giannis = elite athleticism and kd = elite shooter.

Not to say Chet won’t be good, but that will be the difference between good and great for him.

Definitely splitting hairs :-)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1131 on: February 26, 2022, 08:14:09 AM »
Nebraska keeping Hoiberg
As a Creighton fan who hates Nebraska sports I love this.
Creighton has won more conference games this month than hoiberg has in his entire Nebraska tenure.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1132 on: February 26, 2022, 08:58:04 AM »
The difference between Chet and kd/giannis is that Chet doesn’t have the one out of this world talent. Giannis = elite athleticism and kd = elite shooter.

Not to say Chet won’t be good, but that will be the difference between good and great for him.

giannis, KD and KG had the bodies to bulk up.  not so sure chet has a kent benson, plumlee or lopez frames to fill out
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1133 on: February 26, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »

KG and Giannis have “it”.  They have an incredible vision on the court and feel for the game.  Chet has that, too. 

KG and Giannis worked hard to put it all together and morph into the players they are.  I think Chet can do that as well.  He’ll need to work at it, but I think he can be a franchise player

panda

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: February 26, 2022, 09:21:59 AM »
KG and Giannis have “it”.  They have an incredible vision on the court and feel for the game.  Chet has that, too. 

KG and Giannis worked hard to put it all together and morph into the players they are.  I think Chet can do that as well.  He’ll need to work at it, but I think he can be a franchise player

Chet is a great player - he doesn’t have the one elite skill that will allow him to be a dominant player. He’ll be a step or two below the elites (not a bad thing).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: February 26, 2022, 10:18:12 AM »
Right now, he is more skilled than Giannis was at the same age.    Which is why Giannis lasted until the middle of the first round.    What will he look like in 5 years with 35-40 lbs of muscle on him?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: February 26, 2022, 11:00:38 AM »
Right now, he is more skilled than Giannis was at the same age.    Which is why Giannis lasted until the middle of the first round.    What will he look like in 5 years with 35-40 lbs of muscle on him?

Giannis lasted until the middle of the first round because he was playing in Greece’s B League and nobody knew how it might translate to the USA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: February 26, 2022, 11:03:50 AM »

He won't be Giannis.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: February 26, 2022, 11:07:14 AM »
Agreed.  He isn't going to be Brad Sellers, either.   More than likely, he will be the number one pick.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: February 26, 2022, 11:10:35 AM »
Durant was a high usage rate player with crazy efficiency.  Holmgren is a medium usage player with crazy efficiency.

Giannis possessed elite athleticism that Holmgren lacks.  Neither Durant or Giannis are good comps.

I like Holmgren, he has unicorn potential to be an elite rim defender with good to very good 3 point shooting.  But I don't think he's as good of a prospect as Evan Mobley was last year.

I could see him becoming an elite role player, but not a franchise player unless he develops a Dirk Nowitzki skill set.  Holmgren's slender frame increases his bust potential, especially if the extra weight leads to injuries.

But this is a weak draft.  The top 4 all have question mark.  Jabari Smith has a high floor but he's more likely to reach a Rashard Lewis level than Kevin Durant level.  Ivey has elite athleticism, but stille needs to develop a bit as a ball handler, passer, and shooter .  Banchero is a limited defender and he's gone cold from 3.  I see a better prospect than Julius Randle, but not as good of a prospect as Chris Webber or Chris Bosh.

The tier 2 guys project mostly as role players. Davis is starting to look more like a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope type, Murray looks like a Jeff Green or Harrison Barnes type, Mathurin is a possible 3 & D type but probably not more than that.

AJ Griffin really intrigues me.  Another guy who compares to Harrison Barnes, but I could see him developing into a Khris Middleton type.

Maybe some players will develop more than expected, but right now I see a draft light on stars. A handful will be good players, and a handful or two of role players after that.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: February 26, 2022, 11:12:54 AM »
Agreed.  He isn't going to be Brad Sellers, either.   More than likely, he will be the number one pick.

I don't doubt his potential is there down the road, but if it takes 4 years the team that drafts him might not resign him.  The top 3 seem to be locks but I don't think anyone would be surprised if Ivey becomes a superstar.  He has a completely different gear and the NBA is far more open space. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: February 26, 2022, 11:40:26 AM »
If Holmgren can shoot  the 3 in the NBA the way he does in college, he's going to be exceptionally difficult to guard at the next level.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: February 26, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »
If Holmgren can shoot  the 3 in the NBA the way he does in college, he's going to be exceptionally difficult to guard at the next level.

I'm gonna try to watch him tonight.  Who would you compare him to?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1143 on: February 26, 2022, 11:49:10 AM »

Bob Lanier

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: February 26, 2022, 11:54:38 AM »

Dirk. Not as offensively gifted, but more athletic. Or a less athletic pre-injury Porzingis.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: February 26, 2022, 11:57:13 AM »

A more athletic, better defending, better shooting, quicker, better passing, Henry Ellenson.   Blocks a shot, controls it, dribbles ambidextrously up the floor through traffic and either shoots the 3 or dunks.    I have watched him a few times and always start out unimpressed.   Then he has a stretch and you look up and he has 20-10-5-4.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: February 26, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
Dirk. Not as offensively gifted, but more athletic. Or a less athletic pre-injury Porzingis.

Dirk was obviously an elite, elite, shooter and scorer.  I guess I haven't seen Holmgren enough but  does he have a post game?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: February 26, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
Post game no matta.   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: February 26, 2022, 12:06:19 PM »
Post game no matta.

Dirk could get his shot off and create off the bounce with his back to his basket.  He had a high release and was incredibly polished.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: February 26, 2022, 03:35:05 PM »
Kstate and WVU both lose by 1.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback