Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results  (Read 215797 times)

panda

• All American
Re: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results
« Reply #875 on: January 20, 2022, 08:46:34 PM »
I was shocked too

I don’t understand the obsession with the “keep it in the family” process of Georgetown and Butler.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #876 on: January 20, 2022, 08:48:57 PM »
I don’t understand the obsession with the “keep it in the family” process of Georgetown and Butler.

If DWade wants to coach after Shaka, who at the University has the balls to say no?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #877 on: January 20, 2022, 08:54:15 PM »
If DWade wants to coach after Shaka, who at the University has the balls to say no?

Jordan's a bit different. I understand that argument with Ewing but not for Jordan it's not like Shelvin Mac or Gordon Hayward are their coach. (Do they have other legends pre big east?)
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #878 on: January 20, 2022, 08:55:52 PM »
Clean? Wojo?  Chris Mack?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #879 on: January 20, 2022, 08:57:23 PM »
Who are the actual candidates?

Nored
ryan pedon

any coach du jour
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #880 on: January 20, 2022, 09:05:38 PM »
How is UConn only a 7.5-point favorite at Butler?

Well, Butler is beating them by four at the half.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #881 on: January 20, 2022, 09:06:16 PM »
UCONN looks awful.  I've decided I don't like the Hurley's. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #882 on: January 20, 2022, 09:07:47 PM »

The program never gave Zaire anymore than a token look. Wardle didn’t even get an interview.

It’s not that hard. Self-restricting your candidate pool is foolish.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #883 on: January 20, 2022, 09:34:07 PM »
The program never gave Zaire anymore than a token look. Wardle didn’t even get an interview.

It’s not that hard. Self-restricting your candidate pool is foolish.

I wouldn't assume Wardle didn't get an interview. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "in the family" candidates at least got a courtesy interview.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #884 on: January 20, 2022, 09:35:16 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "in the family" candidates at least got a courtesy interview.

Archie Bunker and Meathead got interviews?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #885 on: January 20, 2022, 09:50:46 PM »
I wouldn't assume Wardle didn't get an interview. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "in the family" candidates at least got a courtesy interview.

i understand your point, but a courtesy interview isn’t the same as exclusively hiring from within the family while ignoring potentially more qualified applicants.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #886 on: January 20, 2022, 10:20:29 PM »
Well, Butler is beating them by four at the half.

You were saying?

UConn ended up covering easily. Butler is a joke.

Maybe I need to start betting, because I'd have won a lotta scratch on these two UConn-Butler games and MU-Nova.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #887 on: January 20, 2022, 11:32:08 PM »

Big John Thompson ran Gtown basketball. It was similar at Michigan with Bo Schembechler. Bo died and they went outside the family. Gtown will be able to do that too now that Big John has passed.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #888 on: January 21, 2022, 12:37:56 AM »

Well until Jordan, it worked great.  Collier to Matta to Lickliter to Stevens to Holtmann was  great and got them from the MCC to the Big East.  And Jordan was hired on the strength of his Michigan assistant work.  He was a hot name before he ever went to UWM, that year did nothing to make his candidacy any more or less appealing. He’s been a dud, but it wasn’t a broken formula solely because of that.

GTown is a different story.  The fact that Ewing spent 15 years on an NBA bench, after a HOF career, without getting a HC gig should have been a red flag as it was

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #889 on: January 21, 2022, 12:51:47 AM »
Well until Jordan, it worked great.  Collier to Matta to Lickliter to Stevens to Holtmann was  great and got them from the MCC to the Big East.  And Jordan was hired on the strength of his Michigan assistant work.  He was a hot name before he ever went to UWM, that year did nothing to make his candidacy any more or less appealing. He’s been a dud, but it wasn’t a broken formula solely because of that.

GTown is a different story.  The fact that Ewing spent 15 years on an NBA bench, after a HOF career, without getting a HC gig should have been a red flag as it was

I wouldn’t say he’s been “a dud.” One second round tourney run, at one point they were #5 nationally and headed to the tourney in 2019-20. His 2021 te recruiting class had 2 4 star recruits per ESPN.

But like we did with Deane, BU needs to determine what the trajectory of the program is.

I’m curious to know Butler’s budget compared to the rest of the BE.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #890 on: January 21, 2022, 02:05:21 AM »

Grown has a much steeper hill to climb
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #891 on: January 21, 2022, 06:35:28 AM »
i understand your point, but a courtesy interview isn’t the same as exclusively hiring from within the family while ignoring potentially more qualified applicants.

Totally agree,  was just picking the nit about Wardle not getting an interview
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #892 on: January 21, 2022, 07:38:23 AM »
You mean hiring a guy with only one years head coaching experience where his team stunk but they made a miraculous run in the conference tournament doesn’t make sense ?!

Jordan was in the mix when they hired Brandon Miller.  He was a longtime assistant at Iowa and under Belein at Michigan.  He played for their current AD.

People complain that Marquette doesn't have consistent success through coaching changes.  Well part of that is because we haven't built that type of program.  Keeping it in "the family" makes sense it until it doesn't.  Before Jordan, they have had continued success this way, so why change the model?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #893 on: January 21, 2022, 07:49:22 AM »

Jordan was in the mix when they hired Brandon Miller.  He was a longtime assistant at Iowa and under Belein at Michigan.  He played for their current AD.

People complain that Marquette doesn't have consistent success through coaching changes.  Well part of that is because we haven't built that type of program.  Keeping it in "the family" makes sense it until it doesn't.  Before Jordan, they have had continued success this way, so why change the model?

When Ohio State hired Holtmann, they were also kicking the tires on Gregg McDermott and I thought McDermott leaving Creighton would be more impactful than Holtmann leaving Butler because of the “Butler Model”.  Anonymous Eagle wrote about it, too.

The hiring of Jordan made a lot of sense and he was seen as an up-and-coming coach by many.  It hasn’t worked out.  It’s possible he’s allowed to reset after this season with assistant changes and so forth before making a move.  He’ll have to be active in the portal if that’s the case.  They simply need a talent infusion

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #894 on: January 21, 2022, 07:50:58 AM »

Yeah, I get that, but when "it doesn't"...the alumnus coach has the upper hand regarding the prospect of a divorce. The Mullin fiasco provided a poster boy for the case for being leery of hiring an alumnus coach. And with at least one, probably two more alumni BE coaches who need to go, it could get messy.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

panda

• All American
« Reply #895 on: January 21, 2022, 07:54:11 AM »

Particularly for Butler - “In the family” was a reasonable decision making process when they were competing in the Horizon and A10.

At this point, it’s just small time thinking. If they want to elevate their program out of BE mediocrity, it would be foolish to only consider a very limited base of applicants.

• All American
« Reply #896 on: January 21, 2022, 07:55:33 AM »
Yeah, I get that, but when "it doesn't"...the alumnus coach has the upper hand regarding the prospect of a divorce. The Mullin fiasco provided a poster boy for the case for being leery of hiring an alumnus coach. And with at least one, probably two more alumni BE coaches who need to go, it could get messy.

I think the Mullin issue was not that he was simply an alum, but an alum who is their greatest player of all time.  Similar to Ewing at Georgetown.

It would be like Marquette trying to fire Dwyane Wade as an unsuccessful coach.  But if the unsuccessful coach was Brian Wardle?  I doubt anyone would care that he's an alum.

I think the biggest issue is if Collier wants to get rid of a guy he obviously has a close relationship with.  That to me is the sticking point more than anything.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 08:15:23 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #897 on: January 21, 2022, 08:11:18 AM »

I think the Mullin issue was not that he was simply an alum, but an alum who is their greatest player of all time.  Similar to Thompson at Georgetown.

It would be like Marquette trying to fire Dwyane Wade as an unsuccessful coach.  But if the unsuccessful coach was Brian Wardle?  I doubt anyone would care that he's an alum.

I think the biggest issue is if Collier wants to get rid of a guy he obviously has a close relationship with.  That to me is the sticking point more than anything.

Thompson played at Providence.

• All American
« Reply #898 on: January 21, 2022, 08:15:06 AM »

Sorry, brain fart.  I meant Ewing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #899 on: January 21, 2022, 08:44:01 AM »

Or did Thompson play at princeton?
Maigh Eo for Sam