Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Covid Policy  (Read 9183 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Big East Covid Policy
« on: November 05, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »
This may provide MU a path to a winning record if we send in some typhoid Mary's to other schools!

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/amp/Big-East-basketball-s-new-COVID-policy-Teams-16592764.php
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Big East Covid Policy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »
This is a poorly thought out policy. While I applaud the effort to get everyone vaccinated, there are a number of things that could happen due to breakthrough cases or a new variant.

If someone takes a COVID "L" to a DePaul or Georgetown, that goes on their resume. That could impact seeding for a team like Villanova or NCAA inclusion for a Big East bubble team. That could very realistically cost the league money.

If two teams both take losses in the same game, you are again attaching that to both their resumes. What if two Big East teams are on the bubble, needing that one more win to get in, but now they both get losses? Instead of two bubble teams being able to battle for a bid, both could be left out.

What about fully vaccinated teams having breakthroughs or variant cases? Shouldn't responsibly getting your entire team vaccinated prevent you from taking a forfeit? If the staff and players have taken all reasonable measures within their control to be safe and still get unfortunate positive cases, it seems unjust (maybe even NCAA-like) to punish them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 01:05:50 PM »
This is a poorly thought out policy. While I applaud the effort to get everyone vaccinated, there are a number of things that could happen due to breakthrough cases or a new variant.

If someone takes a COVID "L" to a DePaul or Georgetown, that goes on their resume. That could impact seeding for a team like Villanova or NCAA inclusion for a Big East bubble team. That could very realistically cost the league money.

If two teams both take losses in the same game, you are again attaching that to both their resumes. What if two Big East teams are on the bubble, needing that one more win to get in, but now they both get losses? Instead of two bubble teams being able to battle for a bid, both could be left out.

What about fully vaccinated teams having breakthroughs or variant cases? Shouldn't responsibly getting your entire team vaccinated prevent you from taking a forfeit? If the staff and players have taken all reasonable measures within their control to be safe and still get unfortunate positive cases, it seems unjust (maybe even NCAA-like) to punish them.

You're overthinking it.  You only need 5 players to field a team.  Between scholarship players and walk-ons all games will be played.  If so many are sick/hurt that a team can't be fielded, it will be a forfeit - just as it would have before covid.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 02:34:54 PM »
You're overthinking it.  You only need 5 players to field a team.  Between scholarship players and walk-ons all games will be played.  If so many are sick/hurt that a team can't be fielded, it will be a forfeit - just as it would have before covid.

Yep...plus the fact that the BE policy is reportedly similar to those of other major conferences. Assuming that's true and there really are 'COVID cancellations' in college hoops this year, the BE might just as likely benefit from two bubble teams from another conference getting losses.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »

Yep...plus the fact that the BE policy is reportedly similar to those of other major conferences. Assuming that's true and there really are 'COVID cancellations' in college hoops this year, the BE might just as likely benefit from two bubble teams from another conference getting losses.

If so, all the more reason to just wipe the game off the schedule and don't have it count against your own bubble teams. And they should add an exception for teams that are 100% vaccinated.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 02:51:01 PM »
If so, all the more reason to just wipe the game off the schedule and don't have it count against your own bubble teams. And they should add an exception for teams that are 100% vaccinated.

It sounds good in theory, but they are just trying to make it easier for everyone involved. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 03:06:57 PM »
I think it's not a particularly smart policy.  It's not getting a huge amount of coverage but Germany is getting a major resurgence in COVID cases and deaths/hospitalizations.   They are also close to 70% fully vaccinated.  We don't know what can happen in the winter months, and unfortunately since the beginning there's been this absurd message that we can eradicate COVID.  Newsflash: we can't.  It's endemic and this narrative is stupid.

Now, I'm very pro vax.  The fact that 95+% of hospitalizations and deaths are from unvaxed people should be eye opening for everyone, but science constantly changes.  What I'm saying is there could be quite a few positive cases from BEast players that are vaccinated and we could look more like Germany a month from now.    We simply do not know what can happen in the near future other than at this moment, the likelihood of having a serious case of COVID decreases exponentially if you are vaccinated. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 03:09:51 PM by MuggsyB »

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 04:46:12 PM »
When was the last time any policy was implemented anywhere that everyone liked?  That would be never.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 04:52:27 PM »

Agreed, but I doubt the selection committee would factor in a game that was forfeited due to this reason. You never know with the NCAA though.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »
I think it's not a particularly smart policy. 

Muggs, you too are thinking too hard about this.  Last year teams cancelled games anytime there was a single covid positive on the team (no vaccines).  If this policy was in place last year, I bet every game would have been played.

Last year: "schools should consider placing the entire group under quarantine for 14 days" if one person in Tier 1 tests positive.

This year:  if a team can’t field enough players to play in a game on its originally intended date during the league season, the game will go down as a forfeit and a loss on that team’s conference record

5 players will always be available.

erubiel

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »
When was the last time any policy was implemented anywhere that everyone liked?  That would be never.

Open bar at my wedding.  Loved by all.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »
Muggs, you too are thinking too hard about this.  Last year teams cancelled games anytime there was a single covid positive on the team (no vaccines).  If this policy was in place last year, I bet every game would have been played.

Last year: "schools should consider placing the entire group under quarantine for 14 days" if one person in Tier 1 tests positive.

This year:  if a team can’t field enough players to play in a game on its originally intended date during the league season, the game will go down as a forfeit and a loss on that team’s conference record

5 players will always be available.

No doubt that last year's policy was dumber.  All I'm saying is with campuses being open now, even with vaccinated students, you can get an outbreak.  Hopefully the new Pfizer pill helps.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 05:52:24 PM by MuggsyB »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 06:20:08 PM »
Open bar at my wedding.  Loved by all.

Half day Fridays year round at my work.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 08:50:16 PM »
This may provide MU a path to a winning record if we send in some typhoid Mary's to other schools!

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/amp/Big-East-basketball-s-new-COVID-policy-Teams-16592764.php

Welcome to new Marquette men’s basketball ambassador, Aaron Rodgers!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 10:59:20 PM »
Crean's teams always had "the flu" when they lost games they should have won.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 07:23:25 AM »

fully agree here-the "L" at the end of the season wouldn't be a very accurate reflection come selection sunday unless that would be taken under advisement which i believe it would. 

as brew points out, even "fully vaccinated" doesn't guarantee perfect health.  besides, if everyone is vaccinated, as i'm assuming will be the case, what's the worry?  as many are saying, the vaccine, if not preventative, should lower the contagiousness and subsequently tame the virility of the illness...play ball
don't...don't don't don't don't

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 07:54:28 AM »
Crean's teams always had "the flu" when they lost games they should have won.

And Wojo's were "young," or "tired," or...something.

The masses continue to think that the vaccinated can't be infected with/transmit the virus.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 08:25:02 AM »
And Wojo's were "young," or "tired," or...something.

The masses continue to think that the vaccinated can't be infected with/transmit the virus.
Yes they can, but way less likely plus basically prevents stronger virus mutations which can take us to square 1. It is all about the us / we, not the you and me, Jesuits....
Goal is National Championship

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »
I think rules like this will just promote schools to be very lax on testing.

I know of some programs already that no longer test athletes with "flu-like symptoms" unless they say the magic words around COVID. It is done intentionally to avoid having athletes have to sit out due to breakthrough infections, and protocols for return to performance.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »
I doubt that a Covid forfeit loss to DePaul will cause a team to lose an NCAA bid. The committee will take that into consideration. However, a Covid forfeit loss to a top team could hurt, because it takes away a chance for a big win.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »
I think rules like this will just promote schools to be very lax on testing.

I know of some programs already that no longer test athletes with "flu-like symptoms" unless they say the magic words around COVID. It is done intentionally to avoid having athletes have to sit out due to breakthrough infections, and protocols for return to performance.

..and for good reason. A positive COVID test is just that and for most they are asymptomatic. For the few that exhibit flu like symptoms test them and treat them as you would any other athlete who has the flu and for the very very few who exhibit more severe illness there are treatments: steroids, monoclonal antibodies and soon the Pfizer pill and Merck pill which is already approved in the UK. To quarantine the entire team for an athlete that tests positive is an over reaction especially if they have all been vaccinated and can now be treated. I would expect very very few breakthrough infections among college athletes that exhibit severe illness.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31275391/study-shows-less-1-covid-infected-college-athletes-developed-heart-issues

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 11:04:25 AM »
To quarantine the entire team for an athlete that tests positive is an over reaction

But that is NOT what they are doing.  They are saying 5 players need to be healthy.  Read the policy again.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2021, 11:08:46 AM »
But that is NOT what they are doing.  They are saying 5 players need to be healthy.  Read the policy again.

If an entire team is vaccinated, they should not be assigned a forfeit if they have simultaneous breakthrough cases, particularly if there ends up being a new variant that takes time getting across the country (say SJU forfeiting to Creighton because NYC gets hit before Omaha). Just cancel the game and have it a no contest like last year. No need for them to punish teams that are trying to do the right thing.

That's like the NCAA giving an unprecedented punishment to Oklahoma State after they went out of their way to be transparent. The Big East should never look to the NCAA's punishment standards as an example of how they WANT to conduct business.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »
If an entire team is vaccinated, they should not be assigned a forfeit if they have simultaneous breakthrough cases, particularly if there ends up being a new variant that takes time getting across the country (say SJU forfeiting to Creighton because NYC gets hit before Omaha). Just cancel the game and have it a no contest like last year. No need for them to punish teams that are trying to do the right thing.

That's like the NCAA giving an unprecedented punishment to Oklahoma State after they went out of their way to be transparent. The Big East should never look to the NCAA's punishment standards as an example of how they WANT to conduct business.

If the entire team gets food poisoning, do they get to reschedule the game?  Or is it a forfeit?  I honestly don't know the answer.  The same rules should be applied.

edit:  And brew - last thing I'll say (again) on the topic, no games will be cancelled because of this policy.  I'll wager a pint of your favorite beverage on it!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:25:58 AM by rocky_warrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
If the entire team gets food poisoning, do they get to reschedule the game?  Or is it a forfeit?  I honestly don't know the answer.  The same rules should be applied.

edit:  And brew - last thing I'll say (again) on the topic, no games will be cancelled because of this policy.  I'll wager a pint of your favorite beverage on it!

Your last point is exactly right. I’d bet no BE basketball games, mens or womens, result in a forfeit this year. This is a big nothing burger.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter