Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Covid Policy  (Read 9285 times)

MDMU04

• All American
Re: Big East Covid Policy
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2021, 12:31:58 PM »
Some good information from this article:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/xaviersports/2021/12/17/fully-vaccinated-heres-what-means-xavier-basketball/8946065002/

- Cancelled Big East games will count only for regular season standings and seeding for the conference championship tournament.  For NCAA tournament seeding purposes, games will be designated no-contest on their team sheet and not considered.

- The Big East conference policy, in accordance with the NABC, is seven scholarship players available.

The Xavier program is 100% vaccinated.  The article says they haven't been testing anyone unless they have potential symptoms.  I believe this is a prudent approach. 

Most vaccinated athletes that test positive either remain asymptomatic or have very minor symptoms. With the Bulls recent outbreak, they had 10 players test positive and only two wound up developing symptoms.  Nikola Vucevic tested positive earlier in the season, and he was asymptomatic the whole time as well.  This was from Billy Donovan's comments in an Athletic article.

If teams only test unvaccinated players or vaccinated ones showing symptoms, this should really limit the number of potential players that could be out of a given game at any time.

This is pretty much entirely contingent on teams having pretty high vaccination rates, though.  Not sure what the story is with Seton Hall or DePaul.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:36:37 PM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2021, 12:32:23 PM »
Wed Gtown / PC game cancelled now too.

You mean, Providence takes an L to Georgetown and is now 2-0 in conference.

They're the ones to beat!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »

They should only test VACCINATED players if they are symptomatic.  But you still have to regularly test unvaccinated players.  Close contacts should only be tested if symptomatic, but unvaccinated close contacts need to go into quarantine.

These are the NCAA regulations.

That policy might be good from a general public health standpoint, but if you are going to have the virus affecting wins and losses to the extent we've seen in the BE, it makes sense to test everyone on the team, as well as the associated staff. Those who have been vaccinated can still be carriers, and there is no difference in viral load between those vaccinated or unvaccinated. So vaccinated people can still be carriers, and therefore, spreaders. So for eligibility purposes, it makes sense to keep anyone who tests positive away from others.

Have we really determined that SHU had sufficient scholarship players available to play SJU? If so,
that was sleazy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2021, 04:47:16 PM »
Have we really determined that SHU had sufficient scholarship players available to play SJU? If so,
that was sleazy.

The official word is that they only had 6 scholarship players available.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2021, 05:00:16 PM »
BEAST now getting major national attention. And not much of it is positive.

At the local pub downtown MKE and pardon my interruption is ripping BEAST a new one.

Womp
Womp.

I know I know… F ESPN. But still it’s not a good look

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »

At the local pub downtown MKE and pardon my interruption is ripping BEAST a new one.

Womp

Why?  Because of  covid cancelations?
Womp.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2021, 07:26:38 PM »
The policy will be moot soon. First the NHL, then other leagues/sports.

It's getting worse folks, not better...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2021, 01:03:50 AM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2021, 07:23:16 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2021, 07:27:30 AM »
The policy will be moot soon. First the NHL, then other leagues/sports.

It's getting worse folks, not better...

Well, the NBA commish already has said they're not gonna shut down the season at all, the NFL changed its Covid rules to stop testing asymptomatic, vaccinated players, and the ACC is meeting today to change its Covid rules.

Like you, I first thought that the dominoes would fall after the NHL decided to take a break, but now I'm much less sure about that. People in power are looking at omicron as highly contagious but extremely mild for vaccinated people, and it looks like they plan to treat it more like the flu. At least for now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2021, 08:47:35 AM »
With a quarter of its teams in Canada, the NHL shutting down likely isn't a model for the NBA and college basketball.  Canada has been been more aggressive about shut downs from the beginning.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2021, 08:58:10 AM »
With a quarter of its teams in Canada, the NHL shutting down likely isn't a model for the NBA and college basketball.  Canada has been been more aggressive about shut downs from the beginning.

Good point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2021, 07:45:14 AM »

Womp
Womp.

Fjm,

I have not been able to pay much attention to this particular point.  What is it that they are ripping?  The forfeit policy?  Or are they ripping the health and safety protocols? 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »
We are no longer tied with Depaul.

feedback