Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Covid Policy  (Read 9182 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Big East Covid Policy
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2021, 11:42:51 AM »
But that is NOT what they are doing.  They are saying 5 players need to be healthy.  Read the policy again.

I was not commenting on the policy. I was commenting on forgetful's take that testing will be essentially not done. I think the policy is pragmatic and reasonable. Why test the players if they have no symptoms? If a team mate exhibits flu-like symptoms quarantine that one player until he recovers, end of story.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2021, 12:09:26 PM »
I was not commenting on the policy. I was commenting on forgetful's take that testing will be essentially not done. I think the policy is pragmatic and reasonable. Why test the players if they have no symptoms? If a team mate exhibits flu-like symptoms quarantine that one player until he recovers, end of story.

They should only test VACCINATED players if they are symptomatic.  But you still have to regularly test unvaccinated players.  Close contacts should only be tested if symptomatic, but unvaccinated close contacts need to go into quarantine.

These are the NCAA regulations.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2021, 03:11:43 PM »

They should only test VACCINATED players if they are symptomatic.  But you still have to regularly test unvaccinated players.  Close contacts should only be tested if symptomatic, but unvaccinated close contacts need to go into quarantine.

These are the NCAA regulations.

There are unvaccinated athletes? Did not know that.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2021, 03:17:05 PM »
There are unvaccinated athletes? Did not know that.

Yes.  Vaccination isn't required.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2021, 03:45:03 PM »
Yes.  Vaccination isn't required.

I thought MU/ Big East schools have a vaccine requirement. They would allow an unvaccinated player from a visiting school to play?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:47:47 PM by muwarrior69 »

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2021, 03:48:50 PM »
I thought MU/ Big East schools have a vaccine requirement.

They do. Sorry. But there are exemptions allowed so it isn’t a guaranty that everyone actually is vaccinated.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2021, 08:09:28 PM »
I hope all student athletes are allowed to get the booster as I consider them front line.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2021, 08:14:48 PM »
I hope all student athletes are allowed to get the booster as I consider them front line.

Yes sir.  Especially out in the public like they are at charity events etc.   Got my booster today.  Mixed and matched Pfizer and Moderna.  As soon as my own kids are eligible for their boosters, they’ll be first in line.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »
edit:  And brew - last thing I'll say (again) on the topic, no games will be cancelled because of this policy.  I'll wager a pint of your favorite beverage on it!

Just so we're tracking, unless a policy change happens in the next few hours, I owe Brew a beverage (he never replied, but still, I was pretty confident, pre-Omi)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2021, 10:37:32 PM »
Just so we're tracking, unless a policy change happens in the next few hours, I owe Brew a beverage (he never replied, but still, I was pretty confident, pre-Omi)

Omicron has changed things awfully fast. 1% of US cases two weeks ago; 70% today. Welcome to last Christmas, folks!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2021, 11:07:07 PM »
NHL about to “pause the season.” Can the rest of sports, including BE hoops, be far behind?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2021, 11:50:24 PM »
Your last point is exactly right. I’d bet no BE basketball games, mens or womens, result in a forfeit this year. This is a big nothing burger.

You were saying…

DePaul’s AD is not happy and asking for a change in policy:

https://twitter.com/BlueDemonsAD/status/1473131130983489539
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2021, 11:51:47 PM »
Yeah, like a bad rerun nobody wants to see.  Hopefully covids end-game, but I've been overly optimistic about that a few times before.

You were saying…

DePaul’s AD is not happy and asking for a change in policy:

https://twitter.com/BlueDemonsAD/status/1473131130983489539

That's the point billy-boy.  I bumped this because 90-ish (or more) percent of us thought we could be "done with this".  Turns out, we were wrong.   And I know know Nov 6 doesn't seem like a long time ago, but Covid doesn't care.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 11:54:35 PM by rocky_warrior »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2021, 05:12:00 AM »

I didn't see it getting this bad again this fast, but it's why I didn't like the policy from the start. We essentially have a break through variant. Though the irony of the first (SHU/SJU) cancellation is that the "winners" are the team that actually loses because St John's needs those resume building opportunities more than Seton Hall. Also interesting they are assigning losses before the scheduled game time passes; DePaul already has a loss Thursday according to the official Big East website.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 05:13:45 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2021, 05:22:22 AM »

Omicron has changed things awfully fast. 1% of US cases two weeks ago; 70% today. Welcome to last Christmas, folks!
We had only 2% positivity rate for almost 3 months. Within a week of first Omicron case we're up to 13%.
Goal is National Championship

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2021, 06:03:12 AM »
It's so very DePaul-like to forfeit the game quicker than Seton Hall. Does Seton Hall even have enough players eligible?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2021, 07:12:12 AM »
This policy sucks. It penalizes both teams, really, and it penalizes people who aren't doing anything wrong.

The ACC has the same policy. Its ADs are meeting tomorrow and there is hope that they will revise their policy. The Big East needs to do the same, because what we have is ridiculous and unfair.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2021, 07:42:40 AM »
This policy sucks. It penalizes both teams, really, and it penalizes people who aren't doing anything wrong.

The ACC has the same policy. Its ADs are meeting tomorrow and there is hope that they will revise their policy. The Big East needs to do the same, because what we have is ridiculous and unfair.

Yep - the policy needs to be revised with present day covid precautions in mind. Not last years precautions.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2021, 10:19:38 AM »

The only 'good' thing about the policy is that it's just a league policy. The NCAA just doesn't count the game. The Big East is the one that counts it as an L.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2021, 10:21:00 AM »
Then the policy is even more nonsensical.  Just have them be no-contests.  Rescheduling them is going to be extremely difficult anyway.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2021, 11:21:53 AM »
NHL about to “pause the season.” Can the rest of sports, including BE hoops, be far behind?

Nope.  There will be significant positive tests for the foreseeable future.  Unless they adopt a several times a day rapid test,   and you can play with a negative test within hours of the game, I can't see the rest of the season taking place.  We're looking at a complete s-show.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2021, 11:24:09 AM »
Nope.  There will be significant positive tests for the foreseeable future.  Unless they adopt a several times a day rapid test,   and you can play with a negative test within hours of the game, I can't see the rest of the season taking place.  We're looking at a complete s-show.

My guess is that they will go in the opposite direction, a la the NFL, and only test vaccinated players if they are symptomatic.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »

My guess is that they will go in the opposite direction, a la the NFL, and only test vaccinated players if they are symptomatic.

My son plays D3 hoops and they only test the unvaccinated on game days.  Those vaccinated do not get tested unless they are showing symptoms.

Plus most colleges are on break for extended period of time now.  So the players will not be around the rest of the students.  Not to mention if this Omicron keeps going at the rate it is then everyone will have had it over the next month or so with or without symptoms

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2021, 12:07:40 PM »

Hopefully they do that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2021, 12:21:38 PM »
Wed Gtown / PC game cancelled now too.