[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shot Distribution?  (Read 5938 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Shot Distribution?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2021, 10:04:23 PM »
60% from 3 in our only scrimmage

I wouldn't put stock in that rumor
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2021, 10:05:00 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Shaka puts the ball in Lewis’ hands to score. Hoping to see him try and limit the longer twos/threes from him and keep him in the wide post/low block emphasizing his power game.

Yes.  Good point.  I am hoping for much better shot selection from JLew.  Sometimes he got sped up to a fault.  I believe he will play with more discipline and poise.   I'm just wondering where we will try to score in the h-c and if we have a guard who can attack and make things happen.  Our rotations and line-ups will be compelling but I do think we need someone to step up and be a consistent scorer.  I love our depth but I'm not sure we can platoon.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 12:30:55 AM »
I wouldn't put stock in that rumor

So they shot 70%?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 12:41:23 AM »
No social media in the country is going to put out highlights of their players continuously being shut down by the defense.  It’s not healthy.

To worry we don’t have a D bc we see 15 dunks in 15 seconds is like judging Wojo based on his TRY HARDER huddles. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 08:32:35 AM »
I think Ellis has a strong offensive presence at leat early in the season. Once a few of the talented younger players get their feet wet his usage drops off a bit.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 08:42:08 AM »
Lewis and Kolek will be our primary shot takers and I don't think it will be close after that. I think Morsell, Lewis and Kolek will all be 30mpg players this year.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 08:50:28 AM »
I think too many here are sleeping on Kolek.   I know we've been burned by transfers from mid major conferences before, but the kid really seems legitimately able to play at a higher level.  In addition, he's known to be an extremely hard worker during off times, so I am fully expecting him to be stronger, faster, better than he was last season (for which he really performed well).   His shot isn't a sure thing like most pure shooters, but his stats are quite good across the board and he seems to be a very well rounded player.  If he isn't taking the final shot when down 2, I'm betting he'll notch the assist on that play.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 08:59:52 AM »
I think Kolek will be a big part of the offense, both passing and scoring. The kid is not bashful and I think he is sleeper in regards to our offense surprising people.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »
I think Kolek will be a big part of the offense, both passing and scoring. The kid is not bashful and I think he is sleeper in regards to our offense surprising people.

I think O Max will surprise people too. Think he has a Jamil Wilson sort of game when he puts it together.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2021, 09:12:51 AM »
Jake

Good call.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 09:31:03 AM »
I don't think we will have one or two dominant scorers. I think all 5 starters and the whole bench has players capable of scoring double digits on any given night (just not consistently) and a handful of players who could very occasionally outburst for 20 or more. Would not be surprised to see 8 players average between 4 and 12 points a game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »
Neither Kuath nor Morsell have ever been scorers.   Kur averaged 18 minutes a game last year.   I am not expecting Kuath to suddenly average 10 or Morsell to average 15.    OMP averaged 10 minutes at Clemson.  He had a good summer with Canada.   Does it translate to MU?   Is he going to play next to or in place of Lewis?

Smart man.  Some here seem to think these guys are suddenly going to be offensive weapons. 

I think Lewis leads the team in scoring in low double digits.  I think Morsell, Elliott, Kolek will all score in the 7-9.9 PPG range.  Hopefully a couple of the freshman will join them in that category, but too hard to say which ones right now.  I expect very little from Kuath offensivenly, but would ne nice to see him fit into the high single digits as well. 

Putting the ball in the basket is going to be a consistent issue for this team.  I don't really see any scenario where this becomes a feared offensive group.  Better hope the defense is as good as some think/hope it will be. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

panda

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 09:46:02 AM »
I don't think we will have one or two dominant scorers. I think all 5 starters and the whole bench has players capable of scoring double digits on any given night (just not consistently) and a handful of players who could very occasionally outburst for 20 or more. Would not be surprised to see 8 players average between 4 and 12 points a game.

I second that. Shaka’s philosophy early on will be to share the rock. His hand is forced as their isn’t a dominant scorer on the team. Spread the floor out and insist on quick ball movement and off ball screens. Score in trans and off turnovers as much as possible.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »
Smart man.  Some here seem to think these guys are suddenly going to be offensive weapons. 

I think Lewis leads the team in scoring in low double digits.  I think Morsell, Elliott, Kolek will all score in the 7-9.9 PPG range.  Hopefully a couple of the freshman will join them in that category, but too hard to say which ones right now.  I expect very little from Kuath offensivenly, but would ne nice to see him fit into the high single digits as well. 

Putting the ball in the basket is going to be a consistent issue for this team.  I don't really see any scenario where this becomes a feared offensive group.  Better hope the defense is as good as some think/hope it will be.

I'll take the over 1.5 double digit scorers on this team.  And I'll take the over on our scoring leader averaging 12.5 (low double digits) points per game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
BLM

I'm with you on your prediction.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »

Kur was the odd man out for two seasons to Brady Manek/Doolittle in a five out offense. Morsell has always been the third/fourth scoring option behind guys who are nba players now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:57:32 AM by panda »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »

I understand we have that kind of personnel, but having watched a lot of college hoops I think it's difficult to platoon with consistency.  Finding a rhythm with truncated mins game to game  is my concern although it's always good to have depth.  It's especially tough with young players. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2021, 11:12:20 AM »
Well wojo did suck as a game coach and his ”Try Harder” huddle instructions certainly added to this perception :)

No social media in the country is going to put out highlights of their players continuously being shut down by the defense.  It’s not healthy.

To worry we don’t have a D bc we see 15 dunks in 15 seconds is like judging Wojo based on his TRY HARDER huddles.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
Well wojo did suck as a game coach and his ”Try Harder” huddle instructions certainly added to this perception :)

...also he was convinced that the louder he shouted instructions the better chance at winning. I wonder will Shaka be hoarse after each game?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2021, 11:52:42 AM »
I think too many here are sleeping on Kolek.   I know we've been burned by transfers from mid major conferences before, but the kid really seems legitimately able to play at a higher level.  In addition, he's known to be an extremely hard worker during off times, so I am fully expecting him to be stronger, faster, better than he was last season (for which he really performed well).   His shot isn't a sure thing like most pure shooters, but his stats are quite good across the board and he seems to be a very well rounded player.  If he isn't taking the final shot when down 2, I'm betting he'll notch the assist on that play.

I'm not sure one can draw the conclusion that mid-major transfer equates to an expectation of disappointment.  We've had solid contributors from transfers from the mid- and low-major ranks, and even the Big10 yielded a big disappointment. 

Solid Contributors:
Reinhardt (UNLV - Mountain West)
Carlino (Brigham-Young - WCC)
Rowsey (UNC-Ashville -Big South)
Koby (Utah State - Mountain West)
Fischer (Indiana - Big 10)

Disappointments
Perez (Gardner-Webb - Big South)
Chartouny (Fordham A-10)
Morrow (Nebraska Big 10)
Froling (SMU - American)

There seems to be an underlying assumption on the board that we should discount Kolek for no other reason than he's from the A10.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »
There’s a whole lot of grey between just “solid contributor” and “disappointment”. Any metric that has AR and KM or Ed and HF in the same classification is far to broad IMO.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »
I'm not sure one can draw the conclusion that mid-major transfer equates to an expectation of disappointment.  We've had solid contributors from transfers from the mid- and low-major ranks, and even the Big10 yielded a big disappointment. 

Solid Contributors:
Reinhardt (UNLV - Mountain West)
Carlino (Brigham-Young - WCC)
Rowsey (UNC-Ashville -Big South)
Koby (Utah State - Mountain West)
Fischer (Indiana - Big 10)

Disappointments
Perez (Gardner-Webb - Big South)
Chartouny (Fordham A-10)
Morrow (Nebraska Big 10)
Froling (SMU - American)

There seems to be an underlying assumption on the board that we should discount Kolek for no other reason than he's from the A10.
Morrow was fine.  Injuries did him in.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2021, 12:23:36 PM »
I think O Max will surprise people too. Think he has a Jamil Wilson sort of game when he puts it together.

Didn't we complain about Jamil Wilson not being able to put it together his entire career? That would be a fine ceiling, i just think it's funny that if he puts it together his ceiling is a guy who didn't put it together.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2021, 12:38:51 PM »
Didn't we complain about Jamil Wilson not being able to put it together his entire career? That would be a fine ceiling, i just think it's funny that if he puts it together his ceiling is a guy who didn't put it together.

To be fair Jamil showed he was NBA material post college and has been dominant in the TBT. He was ranked in the top 5 at one point in HS. I think his whole career he's been unable to "put it together"
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2021, 12:50:54 PM »
To be fair Jamil showed he was NBA material post college and has been dominant in the TBT. He was ranked in the top 5 at one point in HS. I think his whole career he's been unable to "put it together"

Agreed. Jamil never put it together to be the star of a team. He was a good player for us though.

He just never fully reached the potential his physical gifts seemed to indicate.