'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shot Distribution?  (Read 5945 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Shot Distribution?
« on: October 26, 2021, 07:51:12 PM »
I would think JLew has the most FGA'a.  Then maybe Morsell?  I'm a bit concerned this team could have offensive droughts and struggle at times in the half-court.   What do people think about our transition prowess?  Can we generate buckets from our defense a la Shaka's havoc days?   I understand this year is a process but we have a very tough non-c schedule for a young crew.  All that said if we can establish a solid defense, and force turns, anything is possible.  My biggest worry is offense in the half-court and mincing the mesh from downtown. 

tower912

• All American
Re: Shot Distribution?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 08:06:10 PM »
You don't even know that Lewis is starting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 08:09:01 PM »
You don't even know that Lewis is starting.

He's not starting?  Who do you think leads us in scoring?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
His point is we do t really know anything about this team.  How can we speculate.  It’s a better question after a few games.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »
He's not starting?  Who do you think leads us in scoring?
There are less knowns than with any other team in memory.   Muggsy, we are going to have to wait.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 08:15:00 PM »
How can we speculate.

That's about all "we" do.  Well, 25% is observation, about 75% is speculation.

panda

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 08:17:24 PM »
His point is we do t really know anything about this team.  How can we speculate.  It’s a better question after a few games.

I’ve never understood comments like this on a message board. Pre season talk is all speculation. Have some fun or skip over the topic.

I think we’ll see a pretty even shot distribution early. I think Morsell will be the guy to take the last shot though in tight games.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 08:28:04 PM »
That's about all "we" do.  Well, 25% is observation, about 75% is speculation.

I suppose but this year it seems fairly pointless before the season regarding shot distribution when none of us have seen 85% of the team play.

If this team returns the majority of players from this years team next year this question would make more sense to me. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 08:29:53 PM »
I’ve never understood comments like this on a message board. Pre season talk is all speculation. Have some fun or skip over the topic.

I think we’ll see a pretty even shot distribution early. I think Morsell will be the guy to take the last shot though in tight games.

Well in this case we really have zero idea.  It is almost like speculating about shot selection on the 2027 team.  We just don’t know enough to speculate. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 08:33:06 PM »

Maybe this team can usurp offensive rebs and get 2nd chance shots?  I'd like to get to the line with regularity.  My gut feeling is we will be vastly better in transition and creating from our defense than the past 7 yrs.  I am out of words to describe our ineptitude in this area during Wojo's tenure.  I'll just stick with abysmal.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 08:34:03 PM »
We don't know if Morsell is going to be recovered enough to start.   We don't know if Shaka is going to run out a 3 guard offense with this team.   Did OMP make such a jump with Canada that Shaka will start him with Lewis?   Or in front of Lewis? If Morsell starts, who are the one or two guards who start with him.   After not playing point at Maryland, does he transition to point?   If not, who is the point?   

We can speculate all we want.    There are dozens of possible starting line ups and rotations.   And that is assuming we know Morsell's recovery status. 

Shaka keeps preaching defense and MU twitter keeps showing clips of offense.

I can't wait to see what happens.   But I sure would not make any large wagers about line ups or shot distribution.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »
Shaka keeps preaching defense and MU twitter keeps showing clips of offense.

Offense that is scoring easily on our "defense"  :-\

panda

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »
Saying we don’t know in a fun pre season speculation thread is being pretty much the wettest blanket of all time

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 08:44:56 PM »
Tell us what you know.  It would be great to have some answers.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:46:35 PM by tower912 »

panda

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 08:51:11 PM »

I posted my baseless speculation above. It was fun. Feel free to object stating the obvious we don’t know.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »

Sheeeesh. You’ve really become no fun recently. Used to enjoy your posts. L Not allowed to speculate!!!

How do you get through every day when half if not more of a daily weather forecast is speculation?

I’ll speculate! I think Lewis shoots the most, closely followed by kolek.

I also suspect there will be more around the rim shots than in past years.

But this is all speculation and that’s not allowed cause we have a new coach and new roster.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 08:54:00 PM »

60% from 3 in our only scrimmage
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

panda

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 08:56:09 PM »
Sheeeesh. You’ve really become no fun recently. Used to enjoy your posts. L Not allowed to speculate!!!

How do you get through every day when half if not more of a daily weather forecast is speculation?

I’ll speculate! I think Lewis shoots the most, closely followed by kolek.

I also suspect there will be more around the rim shots than in past years.

But this is all speculation and that’s not allowed cause we have a new coach and new roster.

It will be interesting to see how Shaka puts the ball in Lewis’ hands to score. Hoping to see him try and limit the longer twos/threes from him and keep him in the wide post/low block emphasizing his power game.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 08:56:58 PM »
60% from 3 in our only scrimmage

Who shot those?  If I know that I will start speculating.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 08:59:19 PM »
I will speculate Kuath jumps center.   I feel confident that MU will play faster and more aggressively on defense.   Offensively, Shaka's teams were fairly slow and vanilla.   Down two, 5 seconds to go, I think they run Kolek and Greg off screens to opposite wings and one of them shoots.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Shaka puts the ball in Lewis’ hands to score. Hoping to see him try and limit the longer twos/threes from him and keep him in the wide post/low block emphasizing his power game.

Torn on this, someone will give the stat, but I thought Lewis was decent from 3 before his injury. But I agree. Let’s get him deep in the post for some corner banks

fjm

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 09:03:48 PM »
I will speculate Kuath jumps center.   I feel confident that MU will play faster and more aggressively on defense.   Offensively, Shaka's teams were fairly slow and vanilla.   Down two, 5 seconds to go, I think they run Kolek and Greg off screens to opposite wings and one of them shoots.

SEE! That’s the tower we all know and love! 😘😘

I agree Greg n kolek will be the shooters in the closing seconds!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2021, 09:13:11 PM »
Neither Kuath nor Morsell have ever been scorers.   Kur averaged 18 minutes a game last year.   I am not expecting Kuath to suddenly average 10 or Morsell to average 15.    OMP averaged 10 minutes at Clemson.  He had a good summer with Canada.   Does it translate to MU?   Is he going to play next to or in place of Lewis?

Coach Smart has sung Mitchell's praises, particularly on defense.   Is he handed the keys?   Will Greg be healthy?   How will Kolek's game translate to the Big East?

Two points up, 10 seconds to go, who will the defenders be?   I would project Kuath, Morsell, Stevie, OMP and (match up).

Can do this all night and not answer anything.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:47 PM »
Neither Kuath nor Morsell have ever been scorers.   Kur averaged 18 minutes a game last year.   I am not expecting Kuath to suddenly average 10 or Morsell to average 15.    OMP averaged 10 minutes at Clemson.  He had a good summer with Canada.   Does it translate to MU?   Is he going to play next to or in place of Lewis?

Coach Smart has sung Mitchell's praises, particularly on defense.   Is he handed the keys?   Will Greg be healthy?   How will Kolek's game translate to the Big East?

Two points up, 10 seconds to go, who will the defenders be?   I would project Kuath, Morsell, Stevie, OMP and (match up).

Can do this all night and not answer anything.

Those are good questions. OMP likely won’t start in place of Lewis. Kolek I think will transition well! Pretty excited to see it!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2021, 09:19:04 PM »
I am looking forward to finding out the answers.