[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shot Distribution?  (Read 6038 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Shot Distribution?
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
I'm not sure one can draw the conclusion that mid-major transfer equates to an expectation of disappointment.  We've had solid contributors from transfers from the mid- and low-major ranks, and even the Big10 yielded a big disappointment. 

Solid Contributors:
Reinhardt (UNLV - Mountain West)
Carlino (Brigham-Young - WCC)
Rowsey (UNC-Ashville -Big South)
Koby (Utah State - Mountain West)
Fischer (Indiana - Big 10)

Disappointments
Perez (Gardner-Webb - Big South)
Chartouny (Fordham A-10)
Morrow (Nebraska Big 10)
Froling (SMU - American)

There seems to be an underlying assumption on the board that we should discount Kolek for no other reason than he's from the A10.

I know Reinhardt spent his freshman year at UNLV (back when UNLV was in a lot better shape than they are now) but he transferred to MU from USC. Just picking a nit, I agree with your overall point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2021, 01:08:16 PM »
I'm not sure one can draw the conclusion that mid-major transfer equates to an expectation of disappointment.  We've had solid contributors from transfers from the mid- and low-major ranks, and even the Big10 yielded a big disappointment. 

Solid Contributors:
Reinhardt (UNLV - Mountain West)
Carlino (Brigham-Young - WCC)
Rowsey (UNC-Ashville -Big South)
Koby (Utah State - Mountain West)
Fischer (Indiana - Big 10)

Disappointments
Perez (Gardner-Webb - Big South)
Chartouny (Fordham A-10)
Morrow (Nebraska Big 10)
Froling (SMU - American)

There seems to be an underlying assumption on the board that we should discount Kolek for no other reason than he's from the A10.

I am adding nothing to this topic other than I completely forgot that Jose Perez even existed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »
Why leave out:
Crowder
DJO
JFB

they were all transfers...no?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2021, 01:48:23 PM »
Why leave out:
Crowder
DJO
JFB

Clearly a different set of circumstances.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2021, 01:48:46 PM »
I know Reinhardt spent his freshman year at UNLV (back when UNLV was in a lot better shape than they are now) but he transferred to MU from USC. Just picking a nit, I agree with your overall point.
Conversely, Carlino started out at UCLA but caught in the Ben Howland situation.  before landing at BYU.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2021, 02:06:38 PM »
Why leave out:
Crowder
DJO
JFB

1. Equalizer's list was only players who played for Wojo (and all but Fischer were  recruited by Wojo)
2. They were junior college transfers which are comparable in some ways and not comparable in others
3. They were all recruited over a decade ago. The transfer landscape has changed since then
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 02:08:45 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2021, 02:41:13 PM »
1. Equalizer's list was only players who played for Wojo (and all but Fischer were  recruited by Wojo)
2. They were junior college transfers which are comparable in some ways and not comparable in others
3. They were all recruited over a decade ago. The transfer landscape has changed since then

Correct. I only went back as far as Wojo, but probably would have excluded JUCO transfers since the comment was related to the discussion on whether transfers from mid- or low-major D1 conferences could contribute in the Big East.

Conversely, Carlino started out at UCLA but caught in the Ben Howland situation.  before landing at BYU.

Forgot about this--I checked sports-reference for pre-Marquette stats, and they would have only reported his BUY stats:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-carlino-1.html

sports-reference.com again! 
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/katin-reinhardt-1.html
I listed the first stop of UNLV to help support the point that you can find good players at lower-level conferences.   

I think it does a disservice to Kolek to question his ability simply because he comes from the A-10.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2021, 02:44:48 PM »

I am adding nothing to this topic other than I completely forgot that Jose Perez even existed.

You know I could probably name every MU player and including commits that backed out since i started following them 11years ago but 100% would've forgotten him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2021, 05:00:29 PM »
I think the shot distribution will come down to who has the hot hand a lot of the time. This is likely the most score by committee team MU has had in a while. Think Morsell gets plenty of shots but Lewis will be the highest scorer. I'll speculate Lewis averages around 16.2ppg and 6.5 boards. Can't forget about Greg. Always been efficient and a good 3-point shooter. I could see him in the top 4 for scoring coming in around 10ppg. Lewis seems like the only surefire offensive stud as a big man but look for Joplin to make an immediate impact.

Aside from Kolek who I agree will be the highest scoring guard, I believe one of the 1st year guys will be a wild card and make a solid impact. Hard to say who between the 3. My pick is Mitchell.

Starting 5 on opening night:
Kolek
Elliott
Morsell
Lewis
Kuath

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2021, 09:05:25 PM »
I think the shot distribution will come down to who has the hot hand a lot of the time. This is likely the most score by committee team MU has had in a while. Think Morsell gets plenty of shots but Lewis will be the highest scorer. I'll speculate Lewis averages around 16.2ppg and 6.5 boards. Can't forget about Greg. Always been efficient and a good 3-point shooter. I could see him in the top 4 for scoring coming in around 10ppg. Lewis seems like the only surefire offensive stud as a big man but look for Joplin to make an immediate impact.

Aside from Kolek who I agree will be the highest scoring guard, I believe one of the 1st year guys will be a wild card and make a solid impact. Hard to say who between the 3. My pick is Mitchell.

Starting 5 on opening night:
Kolek
Elliott
Morsell
Lewis
Kuath

Interesting post.  You may be spot-on but Elliott's defense is a prob.  Kuath needs a nickname.  I like the kid.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2021, 08:33:01 AM »

OK, but UWW2MU was discussing transfers, not just WOJO transfers, but you point is well taken. The transfer landscape has changed significantly over the last 2 years so I guess we could leave most of Wojo's transfers out of the discussion as well if we want to nit pick. My point was those 3 transfers turned out to really good.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:35:16 AM by muwarrior69 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2021, 08:45:28 AM »
OK, but UWW2MU was discussing transfers, not just WOJO transfers, but you point is well taken. The transfer landscape has changed significantly over the last 2 years so I guess we could leave most of Wojo's transfers out of the discussion as well if we want to nit pick. My point was those 3 transfers turned out to really good.

Okay, you didn't quote UWW2MU so there was no way to know that's the post you were referring to. Even so, UWW2MU was talking about transfers from mid-major conferences, your list was all transfer from junior colleges which are very different.
TAMU

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2021, 09:27:04 AM »

He specifically mentioned that "we've been burned by transfers from mid major conferences".  Since nobody talks of JUCOs in terms of being a mid-major, UWW2MU's post obviously was referencing D1 transfers.

I don't think any of the changes to the transfer landscape would now support a blanket dismissal of transfers from mid-majors.

My point is that we've had strong contributions (and been burned) from transfers from mid- and low-majors--same as for transfers from high-majors.  Therefore, it's a disservice to question whether Tyler Kolek can contribute simply on the basis of him transferring in from an A-10 school. 

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2021, 02:02:05 PM »
Yes, I specifically was referencing mid-majors since that's the area people seem to be most leery about around here.  And I think deservedly so.  At least recently anyway...  Rowsey is probably the best recent mid-major transfer, and even he can be controversial to some (not me) because of his defense.  But then again, I saw Koby as kind of a bust.  At least in the sense that he didn't live up to scoopers expectations in many ways.

I think Kolek is the guy that turns that around and is an immediate strong contributor.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2021, 04:20:22 PM »
But then again, I saw Koby as kind of a bust.  At least in the sense that he didn't live up to scoopers expectations in many ways.

Agree. Koby had his moments, but was anything but consistent. One poster had his floor at 2nd team All Big East. Turned out to be well above his ceiling.

feedback