[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking  (Read 42628 times)

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
Re: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking
« Reply #350 on: June 14, 2022, 09:38:05 AM »
Could very well be.  To use purely economic terms, investment into student retention initiatives is much more "profitable" than student recruitment. If you can drive up your retention up 3% on a class of 2,000, assuming a net tuition of about $17,000, that's an additional $1 million per year in tuition with just that class.  Do that consistently that's $4 million annually not including housing and auxiliaries.

The National Association of College and University Business Officers released a study on tuition discounting rates for both “first-time undergraduates” and “all undergraduates” which continues to rise.
  • The new average rate for first-time students was 54.5 percent; for all undergraduates, 49.0 percent.
  • More selective schools have lower discount rates (44.8 percent) than less selective schools (58.0%).
  • Net revenue for first-time students fell 3.6 percent. Ney revenue for all undergrads rose .6 percent.
You view the detailed NACUBO single page fact sheet at “NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study” - https://www.nacubo.org/Research/2021/NACUBO-Tuition-Discounting-Study

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #351 on: June 14, 2022, 01:55:32 PM »
As we've learned more and more about neuoroplasticity, aren't we moving away from former beliefs about intelligence being something entirely established at such an early age, with little room for change?
I'm no expert in this area, but have a read a lot about it, and may be misunderstanding it.

First, I know this is off topic. I am glad Marquette is recognized and hope it continues to be so.

On Brother Pakuni's comments: OK, I've had first hand experience.

Both of my children were adopted from orphanages in the former Soviet Union. It's safe to say both were warehoused and neither received the love, attention and support than most American infants receive. One of my children almost starved to death and the second had such a strong protein deficiency at age 2.5 that parts of her hair were missing as were several of her teeth.

To say the least, my children had severe learning disabilities -- much much more than most Americans will ever see. The job at hand was much larger than anything we thought we were buying into but you learn to deal with it. Our children were great and incredibly determined. They just had to be shown the way!

In our case, my wife re-taught our children the lessons they didn't pick up in grammar school. Ditto for middle school. It took hours and cost my wife her career but she did it because it had to be done. You can never cure learning disabilities and deficiencies from the first two years but you can develop learning strategies to compensate for them. That... we did!

Our children both have college degrees from a regional, accredited university. It took an awful lot of work but they did it. When my daughter received her degree, I took the degree from our daughter's hands and gave it -- for the moment -- to my wife. "This is as much your's as it is her's..." I said. Even my daughter agreed!

P.S. --  We live in a community where learning disabilities are not well tolerated. My wife fought the criticism and perception she was a "bad" Mom for a lot of years. The reality is that when one looks at where our children came from and where they are, our children accomplished more than the best of students in town. My wife is realizing as we grow older how good a Mom she really is!

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #352 on: June 14, 2022, 02:00:51 PM »
First, I know this is off topic. I am glad Marquette is recognized and hope it continues to be so.

Both of my children were adopted from orphanages in the former Soviet Union. It's safe to say both were warehoused and neither received the love, attention and support than most American infants receive. One of my children almost starved to death and the second had such a strong protein deficiency at age 2.5 that parts of her hair were missing as were several of her teeth.

To say the least, my children had severe learning disabilities -- much much more than most Americans will ever see. The job at hand was much larger than anything we thought we were buying into but you learn to deal with it. Our children were great and incredibly determined. They just had to be shown the way!

In our case, my wife re-taught our children the lessons they didn't pick up in grammar school. Ditto for middle school. It took hours and cost my wife her career but she did it because it had to be done. You can never cure learning disabilities and deficiencies from the first two years but you can develop learning strategies to compensate for them. That... we did!

Our children both have college degrees from a regional, accredited university. It took an awful lot of work but they did it. When my daughter received her degree, I took the degree from our daughter's hands and gave it -- for the moment -- to my wife. "This is as much your's as it is her's..." I said. Even my daughter agreed!

P.S. --  We live in a community where learning disabilities are not well tolerated. My wife fought the criticism and perception she was a "bad" Mom for a lot of years. The reality is that when one looks at where our children came from and where they are, our children accomplished more than the best of students in town. My wife is realizing as we grow older how good a Mom she really is!

Kudos to Mrs. DGies
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #353 on: June 14, 2022, 04:14:40 PM »
Kudos to Mrs. DGies
Ditto x100

Very cool and impressive

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2022, 04:16:23 PM »
The National Association of College and University Business Officers released a study on tuition discounting rates for both “first-time undergraduates” and “all undergraduates” which continues to rise.
  • The new average rate for first-time students was 54.5 percent; for all undergraduates, 49.0 percent.
  • More selective schools have lower discount rates (44.8 percent) than less selective schools (58.0%).
  • Net revenue for first-time students fell 3.6 percent. Ney revenue for all undergrads rose .6 percent.
You view the detailed NACUBO single page fact sheet at “NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study” - https://www.nacubo.org/Research/2021/NACUBO-Tuition-Discounting-Study

A lot of this makes complete sense.  Heavy discounting for first year students is becoming a common practice at a lot of places.  (I don't think that place includes Marquette.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2022, 04:58:05 PM »

dgies 9156 you  have an excellent family . Congrats to your wife on a job extremely well done and to you for provide the support to make this all happen. Working through the local politics of it all had to be very taxing.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #356 on: June 14, 2022, 07:18:44 PM »
Kudos to Mrs. DGies
Yup, trust me it is all Mrs. dgies. Brother dgies is a sick bird fan, no teal on this one  ;D
Goal is National Championship

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #357 on: June 14, 2022, 08:37:01 PM »
Hats off to Mr. and Mrs. dgies
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #358 on: June 14, 2022, 09:10:35 PM »
Yup, trust me it is all Mrs. dgies. Brother dgies is a sick bird fan, no teal on this one  ;D

It was indeed all Ms. Dgies. Another Marquette educated woman, she knows her stuff. And, she hates baseball.

The point in bringing this up is that everyone has potential. Our children had an environment where no one gave up on them. When they did, we fought for them.

My daughter had a teacher who told us in a parent-teacher conference that our expectations for her were too much and we should back off. In front of my daughter! At about 60 decibels, the teacher was told nobody tells a child of ours their potential is limited. And if they do, we owe it to my daughter to find her a new school!

We had more than a few moments like that!

Every child deserves a chance! Period!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2022, 10:00:47 PM »
It was indeed all Ms. Dgies. Another Marquette educated woman, she knows her stuff. And, she hates baseball.

The point in bringing this up is that everyone has potential. Our children had an environment where no one gave up on them. When they did, we fought for them.

My daughter had a teacher who told us in a parent-teacher conference that our expectations for her were too much and we should back off. In front of my daughter! At about 60 decibels, the teacher was told nobody tells a child of ours their potential is limited. And if they do, we owe it to my daughter to find her a new school!

We had more than a few moments like that!

Every child deserves a chance! Period!
Love you my brother
Goal is National Championship

feedback