[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking  (Read 43642 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking
« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2022, 07:37:34 PM »
Well, when da bell rings, Pavlov's dogs start salivatin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2022, 07:37:47 PM »
  so you are saying my daddy is a dumb ass?  selling his business, his legacy to someone who is going to crash and burn it?  selling it to someone who would embarrass him and everything he's done/built for 40 years?  you are even dumber than i thought.  i wouldn't want you near my kids much less( A LOT less) even reekos kids
Born on third base, insists he hit a triple.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2022, 07:39:21 PM »
  you guys can't handle disagreements.  whenever someone posts a different point of view, ya'll get personal and that's where it goes off the rails
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #328 on: May 23, 2022, 07:40:14 PM »
  you guys can't handle disagreements.  whenever someone posts a different point of view, ya'll get personal and that's where it goes off the rails

10 of 10 for the humorous irony
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #329 on: May 23, 2022, 07:42:00 PM »

wrong again tiny-he put me in the batters box.  every patient we see is a test.  i have nothing to prove to you

your daddy didn't even want you in the dug out
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2022, 07:42:02 PM »

Tell us about your march out of poverty.  🐷🐷

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2022, 07:44:34 PM »
you don't know schiff about me sultan.  you guys hiding behind your desks.  i have to prove myself multiple times per day, every day.  there is no tenure in our jobs.  we are constantly being evaluated.  ain't much room for error dude.  your students don't have a choice but to see you.  you get paid regardless.  you wouldn't last a week in the private sector
Interesting fact...the dismissal rate of teachers is higher than it is at fortune 500 companies. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2022, 07:44:56 PM »
Well, test scores for today's students are much better today than they were in the 1970s.

Hey, someone remind me, when were the geniuses that comprise Scoop's Meat Crew/Underboard in school?

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=38

The average reading score for 9-year-old students was 12 points higher in 2020 than in 1971, but not significantly different from the average score in 2012. Thirteen-year-olds scored higher in 2020 with a 5-point gain from 1971, but lower in comparison to 2012.

The overall national trend in mathematics shows improvement for 9-year-old and 13-year-old students in comparison to 1973. The average mathematics score for 9-year-old students was 22 points higher in 2020 than in 1973, and the score for 13-year-olds was 14 points higher

Thank a teacher
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2022, 07:51:20 PM »

Go back and review the topic. Tell me who first got personal.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2022, 08:08:32 PM »
Allow me to be the arrogant snob on this one...have a phd in this stuff.  Test scores better now than ever in the US with all kids testing (obviously there was segregation and then "special schools").  Comparing across countries is nearly impossible....but the US is the best country at educating students in the upper 50% income bracket...and one of the worst countries for those in the bottom 50% (per ACT).  Aristocracy vs. meritocracy...Billy makes a point...the only reason the Obama's and Clinton's were allowed in the Ivy's was because the Ivy's went to a meritocracy (test scores).  They have other measures in place now for diversity...but elite private schools essentially had automatic acceptance (think GW Bush).  NAACP and OCR not necessarily against testing.  ACT cut scores are correlated to essentially say a student has a 85% chance of a B or better in the first college course of that subject.  Research shows GPA and grades in most difficult course passed are best predictors of college success. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2022, 09:41:44 PM »
Thank a teacher
Thanks. Kids are more intelligent today. Higher IQs. Also a lot more advanced socially.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2022, 09:46:18 PM »
Allow me to be the arrogant snob on this one...have a phd in this stuff.  Test scores better now than ever in the US with all kids testing (obviously there was segregation and then "special schools").  Comparing across countries is nearly impossible....but the US is the best country at educating students in the upper 50% income bracket...and one of the worst countries for those in the bottom 50% (per ACT).  Aristocracy vs. meritocracy...Billy makes a point...the only reason the Obama's and Clinton's were allowed in the Ivy's was because the Ivy's went to a meritocracy (test scores).  They have other measures in place now for diversity...but elite private schools essentially had automatic acceptance (think GW Bush).  NAACP and OCR not necessarily against testing.  ACT cut scores are correlated to essentially say a student has a 85% chance of a B or better in the first college course of that subject.  Research shows GPA and grades in most difficult course passed are best predictors of college success.

As an aside, what I’ve seen on 3k and 4K research and the advantages to poorer kids is one of those things that makes me wonder why aren’t we doing this yesterday. 

So what is the percentage of legacy admits in the Ivy League currently?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2022, 06:35:33 AM »
you don't know schiff about me sultan.  you guys hiding behind your desks.  i have to prove myself multiple times per day, every day.  there is no tenure in our jobs.  we are constantly being evaluated.  ain't much room for error dude.  your students don't have a choice but to see you.  you get paid regardless.  you wouldn't last a week in the private sector

LOL

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #338 on: May 24, 2022, 07:40:33 AM »
As an aside, what I’ve seen on 3k and 4K research and the advantages to poorer kids is one of those things that makes me wonder why aren’t we doing this yesterday. 

So what is the percentage of legacy admits in the Ivy League currently?
there's a pediatrician at uw-madison is known for his research on learning gaps in the first 3 years of life.  i should be able to recall his name with ease...but it escapes me.  after a year, the gaps are minimal (between upper, middle, and lower)...after two years upper and middle separate from lower....after three years upper separates from middle and the gap between lower and middle (and obviously upper) is nearly impossible to correct.  income mobility trending in the wrong direction in this county, and pretty ugly when compared to other countries (though more research that takes immigration into account within those numbers would be beneficial). 

hard to get solid data on legacy admissions.  1/3 is often tossed around. 

i haven't followed it closely, but there's a "fair college admissions for students act" floating around congress right now.  to me it's one of those "fun" bills that both sides can write to point out the hypocrisy of the other side.  hard to argue for a legacy admission process when your mantra is "pull yourself up by your boot-straps" and "no" to affirmative action. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #339 on: May 24, 2022, 08:47:53 AM »
there's a pediatrician at uw-madison is known for his research on learning gaps in the first 3 years of life.  i should be able to recall his name with ease...but it escapes me.  after a year, the gaps are minimal (between upper, middle, and lower)...after two years upper and middle separate from lower....after three years upper separates from middle and the gap between lower and middle (and obviously upper) is nearly impossible to correct.  income mobility trending in the wrong direction in this county, and pretty ugly when compared to other countries (though more research that takes immigration into account within those numbers would be beneficial). 

Avid

If I’m understanding you correctly and the die is essentially cast by the time children are 3 years old what solutions or at least mitigations would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #340 on: May 24, 2022, 08:52:36 AM »
hard to argue for a legacy admission process when your mantra is "pull yourself up by your boot-straps" and "no" to affirmative action.

That has to be the funniest regularly used comment in modern parlance. The original meaning of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" was meant somewhat literally, in the sense that it is something completely impossible. Go ahead, try to grab your shoes and lift yourself off the floor. It cannot be done without outside assistance. The phrase started as a way to poke fun at people trying to do things that were impossible, now it's used as a way to say success is only achieved by managing something that is, quite literally, impossible.

Any time someone uses that idiotic phrase, this is the only appropriate response:

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #341 on: May 24, 2022, 08:59:53 AM »
That has to be the funniest regularly used comment in modern parlance. The original meaning of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" was meant somewhat literally, in the sense that it is something completely impossible. Go ahead, try to grab your shoes and lift yourself off the floor. It cannot be done without outside assistance. The phrase started as a way to poke fun at people trying to do things that were impossible, now it's used as a way to say success is only achieved by managing something that is, quite literally, impossible.

Any time someone uses that idiotic phrase, this is the only appropriate response:

Thanks Cliff

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #342 on: May 24, 2022, 09:32:55 AM »

Ha. I've always wondered where that phrase came from because it never made sense to me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #343 on: May 24, 2022, 12:58:30 PM »
Avid

If I’m understanding you correctly and the die is essentially cast by the time children are 3 years old what solutions or at least mitigations would you recommend?

He/she can comment.

I do understand the issue of IQ being set by age 5 and probably  younger.  So the more time that is wasted when very young, the more time that is lost. Can’t get it back.

I do know that combing 3k and 3k with real learning day care have big dividends and reduced incarceration rates down the road. Can actually close the IQ gap with that model between poor and upper middle class kids. Some countries with this model have in fact closed the IQ gap. Which means a big jump in high school and college graduations for the poor. Interesting, it has no effect on upper middle class and above kids.  I guess they already as a group, on average, have the advantages built in to their lives.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #344 on: May 24, 2022, 01:49:56 PM »
He/she can comment.

I do understand the issue of IQ being set by age 5 and probably  younger.  So the more time that is wasted when very young, the more time that is lost. Can’t get it back.

I do know that combing 3k and 3k with real learning day care have big dividends and reduced incarceration rates down the road. Can actually close the IQ gap with that model between poor and upper middle class kids. Some countries with this model have in fact closed the IQ gap. Which means a big jump in high school and college graduations for the poor. Interesting, it has no effect on upper middle class and above kids.  I guess they already as a group, on average, have the advantages built in to their lives.

Does this also correlate with stability at home... with daycare being some sort of surrogate, where safety isn't always the primary concern of the child retarding their brain development?   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #345 on: May 24, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »
Interesting conversation, GOO (and others). Thanks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #346 on: May 24, 2022, 03:28:29 PM »
He/she can comment.

As we've learned more and more about neuoroplasticity, aren't we moving away from former beliefs about intelligence being something entirely established at such an early age, with little room for change?
I'm no expert in this area, but have a read a lot about it, and may be misunderstanding it.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #347 on: May 24, 2022, 03:29:58 PM »
Avid

Correct...says the guy way smarter than me that did the research at Harvard and now works at UW.  Maya Smart actually gets this as well as anyone.
I haven't been a fan of Biden...but some of his policies, tax cuts, etc... have been pretty good in relation to this. 

There's no doubt there are things you can do after the age of 3...but they haven't been possible to implement/replicate on a large scale to completely close gaps.  For example...ask yourself why charter schools won't take over school districts?  Well, except for New Orleans...then they gave it back.  Privitization in Sweden is an utter mess.  I'm not saying 4K-12 education isn't important...but I am saying the impact in terms of reading and math scores is limited along socio-economic lines, and the push for more privitization isn't proving successful.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #348 on: May 24, 2022, 03:32:39 PM »
He/she can comment.

Nation-wide birth to 3 high quality services and daycare would certainly move the needle.  I don't think anyone argues that...they just don't want to pay for it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 04:07:06 PM by avid1010 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #349 on: May 24, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »
Correct...says the guy way smarter than me that did the research at Harvard and now works at UW.  Maya Smart actually gets this as well as anyone.
I haven't been a fan of Biden...but some of his policies, tax cuts, etc... have been pretty good in relation to this. 

There's no doubt there are things you can do after the age of 3...but they haven't been possible to implement/replicate on a large scale to completely close gaps.  For example...ask yourself why charter schools won't take over school districts?  Well, except for New Orleans...then they gave it back.  Privitization in Sweden is an utter mess.  I'm not saying 4K-12 education isn't important...but I am saying the impact in terms of reading and math scores is limited along socio-economic lines, and the push for more privitization isn't proving successful.

Thanks, avid. And thanks to GOO also. Very enlightening.