[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318235 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1750 on: January 20, 2023, 02:06:34 PM »
Whatever Fox wants the Big East to do, they'll do. Fox likes the idea of plussing up their conference deals by TV market. B1G and BE mostly overlap TV markets so they keep viewers' interest.

With Fox divesting their local sports channels a few years ago (out West) it made sense for them to lure UCLA and USC to the B1G.

If the BE is expanding teams, it will be out West imo. The B12 is split now between Fox and ESPN, btw. Fragmented among schools who don't have real strong TV markets.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1751 on: January 20, 2023, 02:10:29 PM »
UConn was a nice surprise and a great addition. Would love to see ND back and perhaps there’s a sliver of possibility for that in the future. The Syracuses of the world seem extremely unlikely.
Syracuse was my thought, in addition to Pitt and Boston College. Unlikely now, but the next major moves in college football would leave those programs out of the sec and big 10/16. Probably 10 years away from it being a possibility but it's out there.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1752 on: January 20, 2023, 04:20:35 PM »
I’m sure tv networks are advising the Big East to expand and include the coveted St. Louis market.
Rico knows TV
Goal is National Championship

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1753 on: January 20, 2023, 09:13:07 PM »
Wait folks, we may have something here with St. Thomas. Would it not be worth admitting them to the Big East just to witness the Dayton meltdown?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: January 20, 2023, 10:45:09 PM »
Wait folks, we may have something here with St. Thomas. Would it not be worth admitting them to the Big East just to witness the Dayton meltdown?

Fair point.

I also am looking forward with anticipation to the day that BC, Cuse, and Pitt all join the AAC after the ACC folds. Kolek ‘em.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: February 02, 2023, 04:13:37 PM »
From CBS Sports yesterday. I'm going to be quite annoyed if the Big East just lets the Big XII take Gonzaga without a fight.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... t-to-meet/
Gonzaga's candidacy, Pac-12's future, Texas and Oklahoma exit plans on deck with Big 12 brass set to meet

Relevant section:
When Big 12 presidents and athletic directors begin meeting Thursday at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport Grand Hyatt, might as well bring your popcorn.

On the agenda is Gonzaga's potential membership in basketball. That alone has realignment implications beyond the Big 12. There will also be some discussion about the possible early exit of Texas and Oklahoma for the SEC.

Going into its first season with new members BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, the Big 12 will discuss perhaps its only athletic year with 14 teams. That's a Texas-Oklahoma issue, too.

Expansion is still in play, especially as long as the Pac-12 doesn't sign a new media rights deal.

After spending 43 years in the mid-major West Coast Conference, there are indications Gonzaga wants to play up a level of competition -- and get paid for it. Numerous reports have the West Coast power at least considering its options with the Big 12, Pac-12 and Big East all potential landing spots.

"I would assume if [the Big 12] wanted Gonzaga, they'd have Gonzaga," a person familiar with media rights deals told CBS Sports.

Maybe. On the school's end, the decision is said to be largely up to coach Mark Few, who has guided the Zags since 1999. The program is currently in the middle of rights deal with ESPN and CBS that expires in 2026-27.

On the Big 12 end, Yormark has tried to sell his ADs on the concept of a basketball-only member. They have previously seen a presentation regarding Gonzaga's membership, but it didn't include any financial details. Don't be surprised if the ADs have sought to price Gonzaga's inclusion with league media consultant Endeavor.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1756 on: February 02, 2023, 04:30:28 PM »
Maybe I am wrong, but I can't imagine that Gonzaga would bring enough eyeballs to warrant a large enough media contract where it works out for everyone.  And then if they fade, they are stuck with a member that isn't bringing much value.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: February 02, 2023, 04:52:45 PM »
Maybe I am wrong, but I can't imagine that Gonzaga would bring enough eyeballs to warrant a large enough media contract where it works out for everyone.  And then if they fade, they are stuck with a member that isn't bringing much value.

Flying to Spokane from far away doesn’t seem like it’s worth it to Big 12 teams and certainly to Big East teams.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: February 02, 2023, 05:14:52 PM »
It'll be very interesting to see what Gonzaga is once Few is gone.  And he doesn't seem like a guy who is going to be coaching until he's 80.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: February 02, 2023, 05:15:23 PM »
Speaking of silly rumors…

Saw a tweet from someone that said bring Marquette along with Gonzaga to the Big 12, lol.

Wouldn’t that be something?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: February 02, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »

Saw a tweet from someone that said bring Marquette along with Gonzaga to the Big 12, lol.

I kinda feel like if they were going to do that they'd probably poach Creighton.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: February 02, 2023, 06:29:56 PM »

Shaka has unfinished business in the Big XII.  ;D

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: February 02, 2023, 07:22:42 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love playing in the Big East, but the Big XII is year in and year out the best college hoops conference, even without Oklahoma and Texas (Houston, Cincy, and BYU each have good hoops history coming in).

MU Admin would have to at least think about it.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1763 on: February 02, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »
We've already played in football centric conferences and it never ends well. We won't be doing that again unless we're forced into it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:43:39 PM by Tha Hound »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1764 on: February 02, 2023, 07:28:13 PM »
Yeah I would not be in favor of that move unless the money is too good to pass up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: February 02, 2023, 08:21:24 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love playing in the Big East, but the Big XII is year in and year out the best college hoops conference, even without Oklahoma and Texas (Houston, Cincy, and BYU each have good hoops history coming in).

MU Admin would have to at least think about it.

If the MU Admin even considered it, I’d be disappointed. We’ve already been the tail on the dog and it sucked. And the rivalries are just so much more natural. Learn from BC / Syracuse / Pitt’s mistakes.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: February 02, 2023, 08:36:03 PM »
The only way we should join a football conference is if the Big East dissolved around us and we have to get out.

But I never want to be THAT team that ditches the other Big East schools.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1767 on: February 02, 2023, 08:41:12 PM »
If the Big 12 or Big 10 come calling you have to take it. I mean it would be stupid not to take that money.

But Marquette certainly ain’t getting that call, so it’s a moot point.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1768 on: February 02, 2023, 08:43:17 PM »
Once Few retires I have my doubts about Gonzaga's success.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1769 on: February 02, 2023, 10:29:28 PM »
Yall are crazy if you think MU would turn down an invite from the B12 (or SEC/B1G). Only way they would is if they offered a ridiculously low cut of the pie.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #1770 on: February 02, 2023, 11:00:09 PM »
Yall are crazy if you think MU would turn down an invite from the B12 (or SEC/B1G). Only way they would is if they offered a ridiculously low cut of the pie.

Why would they take it? The marginal revenue for a non-football school in one of those conferences would be minimal. And I don’t think anyone would want to trade places with Syracuse right now

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1771 on: February 03, 2023, 12:30:15 AM »
Why would they take it? The marginal revenue for a non-football school in one of those conferences would be minimal. And I don’t think anyone would want to trade places with Syracuse right now

If the number was minimal, they wouldn't take it. The amount we get from our current contract with fox is a rounding error for those schools. If they wanted to pay (I don't believe they do), they could have any basketball only school they wanted.

It's fine to enjoy and appreciate our current situation and to want it to continue as fan. But we have to be honest about the Big East's place in the hierarchy of College Athletics.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1772 on: February 03, 2023, 06:17:26 AM »
If the number was minimal, they wouldn't take it. The amount we get from our current contract with fox is a rounding error for those schools. If they wanted to pay (I don't believe they do), they could have any basketball only school they wanted.

It's fine to enjoy and appreciate our current situation and to want it to continue as fan. But we have to be honest about the Big East's place in the hierarchy of College Athletics.

Facts

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: February 03, 2023, 09:50:26 AM »

What is its place? Is our contract worth more than say the MAC football contract? Or AAC? Or financially are we actually only comparable to BBall only and non TV football conferences?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: February 03, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »
Once Few retires I have my doubts about Gonzaga's success.

I don't get this sentiment. There is just no way you go to 25 straight NCAA tournaments and are one of the best programs and brands in the game for more than a decade without that having lasting effects on the future of your program. That's how it has always worked for every great/good program (Marquette included) - one coach raised the team up for so long it also raised trajectory of the future of that program.