[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 325445 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1725 on: January 20, 2023, 11:47:15 AM »
When they joined originally was there any momentum behind them? And outside of a couple years did the A10 really have enough good teams to achieve that goal of getting local eyes on the program? 

Again just playing a bit of devils advocate.

I guess my point is that you should want programs that fans go and see because they are supportive of YOUR program, and not just who the visitors are.  When Marquette was in the MCC, they still had multitudes more fans that St. Thomas is drawing.

I have been thinking a little more about this, and I am starting to come to the conclusion that the leadership of St. Thomas has just gotten so used to being the big guy on the block in the MIAC and D3 that they think this stuff is easier than it actually is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: January 20, 2023, 11:53:47 AM »
Great thread

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1727 on: January 20, 2023, 12:01:22 PM »
Some gifts are timeless.

Again, I don't get why you think this is some kind of "own", ArchMan.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: January 20, 2023, 12:10:32 PM »
I am native to MN and have read Pat Reusse for decades.  He is at his best when incorporating some history into his articles.

He is also enamored with the small Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference schools that kicked St Thomas out of the league.  These schools can do no wrong and are what college sports should be in his opinion.

St Thomas folks are insufferable and from day one of the move to D1 they think they will be in the Big East.

There is a wide chasm in the Summit League this year — SDSU and Oral Roberts and then nothing. Congrats to St Thomas for surpassing UN-Omaha.   . Such an accomplishment means they are clearly BE worthy.

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #1729 on: January 20, 2023, 12:11:07 PM »
Anyway you cut it, St. Louis won’t be in the Big East.  Doesn’t matter what you think of Notre Dame, Wisconsin or whoever.  They bring nothing to the table when it comes to any possible Big East expansion.
I mean, this is just not true. With it, SLU brings a top 25 TV market, and one of the best and fastest growing recruiting bases in the country.

I'd agree that these on their own aren't enough for them to get a BE invite, but let's not pretend it's nothing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: January 20, 2023, 12:14:14 PM »
Great thread
Some of Scoop's finest work.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: January 20, 2023, 12:18:50 PM »
Heard the Tommies are hiring Tommy so he can get another team into the Big East all by himself.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: January 20, 2023, 12:20:05 PM »
Heard the Tommies are hiring Tommy so he can get another team into the Big East all by himself.
Nice.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: January 20, 2023, 12:27:03 PM »
I mean, this is just not true. With it, SLU brings a top 25 TV market, and one of the best and fastest growing recruiting bases in the country.

I'd agree that these on their own aren't enough for them to get a BE invite, but let's not pretend it's nothing.

I don't think this is true, the St Louis MSA fell out of top 20 in 2017 unless you're insinuating that people in the StL region are getting better at basketball at a higher rate than most other places?

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/st-louis-region-falls-out-of-the-top-metros-in/article_e4d936f9-6f77-529e-b341-b054b0a01509.html
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1734 on: January 20, 2023, 12:30:55 PM »

I’m sure tv networks are advising the Big East to expand and include the coveted St. Louis market.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1735 on: January 20, 2023, 12:32:38 PM »
I’m sure tv networks are advising the Big East to expand and include the coveted St. Louis market.

I agree with rico.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: January 20, 2023, 12:33:16 PM »
The Big East is in a great spot. A competitive, basketball-oriented conference with a fan-friendly round robin schedule and a historic conference tournament in the most famous basketball arena in history.

Perhaps SLU and Dayton are the next most logical fits for the conference. But why change what’s already working? It only makes sense to expand if a program truly moves the needle, e.g. Gonzaga.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1737 on: January 20, 2023, 12:39:40 PM »
The Big East is in a great spot. A competitive, basketball-oriented conference with a fan-friendly round robin schedule and a historic conference tournament in the most famous basketball arena in history.

Perhaps SLU and Dayton are the next most logical fits for the conference. But why change what’s already working? It only makes sense to expand if a program truly moves the needle, e.g. Gonzaga.

Correct

If markets matter for the conference then Nashville is better than St. Louis and North Carolina, too.

But brand is far more important than markets unless you’re getting into NYC (done), Chicago (done) or LA

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: January 20, 2023, 12:42:02 PM »
Correct

If markets matter for the conference then Nashville is better than St. Louis and North Carolina, too.

But brand is far more important than markets unless you’re getting into NYC (done), Chicago (done) or LA

Are we really? I mean till Wednesday I'm sure DePaul alumni had no idea they still had a basketball team it's why I actually think LUC wouldn't be a horrible addition (if the new guy can get back to stable success)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1739 on: January 20, 2023, 12:46:52 PM »
Are we really? I mean till Wednesday I'm sure DePaul alumni had no idea they still had a basketball team it's why I actually think LUC wouldn't be a horrible addition (if the new guy can get back to stable success)

The Big Ten didn’t add Rutgers because they might be good.  They added them because there are a lot of alumni in NYC/Jersey.  There are a lot of alumni in Chicago from the Big East.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: January 20, 2023, 12:51:51 PM »

I would agree if the Chicago Jesuits had been willing to invest the necessary $ when they were riding high with Moser. I believe that Moser was pushing for a major investment in facilities, was he not?

And when the then new DePaul president was hired, did he not make some comment about not wanting to devote too much of their money to men's bball "at the expense of other sports" (or words to that effect), as if those sports paid their own way?

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: January 20, 2023, 01:01:05 PM »
The Big East doesn't "need" any new teams. The league is like a billionaire; he or she doesn't need any new investments, but if a great one comes along at the right time, sure, he or she will buy it.

So if Gonzaga or Notre Dame wants in, the Big East can say, "Come on down!" Anyone else ... move along, pal. It's pretty simple, really.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: January 20, 2023, 01:01:43 PM »
Hey, if St. Thomas has the resources to do what they've done in the past few years and they can facilitate that into on court sustained success, more power to them!  I'll believe it when I see it, but if they can make themselves appropriately relevant to be a BE team, who are we to say no?   But to think they'd do that in a couple years time is not going to happen.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: January 20, 2023, 01:06:22 PM »
I agree with Rico on these expansion issues. And as it relates to St. Louis and Dayton, I think the same thing now as I did in 2012-13 when this version of the Big East was being formed:

1) expansion for the primary purpose of getting bigger is stupid. If you make a mistake as a conference, you have to live with it-------probably for decades.

2) the Big East doesn't need SLU or Dayton for anything-----not before and not now.

3) if the Big East wanted SLU or Dayton as members, they'd already be here. The fact that they're not tells you all you need to know.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: January 20, 2023, 01:10:14 PM »
The Big East doesn't "need" any new teams. The league is like a billionaire; he or she doesn't need any new investments, but if a great one comes along at the right time, sure, he or she will buy it.

So if Gonzaga or Notre Dame wants in, the Big East can say, "Come on down!" Anyone else ... move along, pal. It's pretty simple, really.

100% spot on.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: January 20, 2023, 01:11:55 PM »

Or Notre Dame since they do their own thing anyway.

Or maybe a very very select few G5 teams who go the UConn route.

ABD

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: January 20, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »
Or Notre Dame since they do their own thing anyway.

Or maybe a very very select few G5 teams who go the UConn route.

ABD

UConn was a nice surprise and a great addition. Would love to see ND back and perhaps there’s a sliver of possibility for that in the future. The Syracuses of the world seem extremely unlikely.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: January 20, 2023, 01:48:48 PM »
The Big Ten didn’t add Rutgers because they might be good.  They added them because there are a lot of alumni in NYC/Jersey.  There are a lot of alumni in Chicago from the Big East.

I think the Rutgers addition had to do with the BTN and what the revenue would be with getting to put BTN onto cable in New York homes. I’m not sure that benefit still exists.

Due to the BTN, the adding a team because of the market made more sense than it would for the Big East.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1748 on: January 20, 2023, 01:51:09 PM »
I think the Rutgers addition had to do with the BTN and what the revenue would be with getting to put BTN onto cable in New York homes. I’m not sure that benefit still exists.

Due to the BTN, the adding a team because of the market made more sense than it would for the Big East.

Don’t disagree.  It’s about brands now than market

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: January 20, 2023, 01:56:03 PM »

I do agree MU, CU, BU and XU all have large to massive Chicago alumni basis here. But that doesn't change that the only big east school that's the size of a state school is apathetic. I mean the viewership and engagement of a wojoesque level depaul would still likely be larger than a really good Butler due to school and market size same for Loyola.
Maigh Eo for Sam