Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318253 times)

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1550 on: July 28, 2022, 01:31:45 PM »
What school is in Piscataway?
Rutgers

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: July 28, 2022, 01:38:24 PM »
I visited Waco when a MU friend worked there. Hell hole was being generous.

The worst college towns I've visited are Pullman, WA, Columbia, MO, West Lafayette, IN, and Piscataway, NJ

Cant say enough mediocre things about West Lafayette.  Champaign stinks too, figuratively and literally.  Starkville is a dump (though Oxford is nice). 

On the alternative, Morgantown was really pleasantly surprising.  Its really pretty in a lot of parts.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1552 on: July 28, 2022, 01:45:32 PM »
Rutgers
Being pedantic, I thought RU was in New Brunswick, which has a much different vibe than Piscataway.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: July 28, 2022, 02:47:49 PM »
Being pedantic, I thought RU was in New Brunswick, which has a much different vibe than Piscataway.

Its technically both.  The Campus spreads over the river on both.  The formerly known RAC and whatever they call the football stadium these days are both in Piscataway, for example.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: July 28, 2022, 02:53:02 PM »
Its technically both.  The Campus spreads over the river on both.  The formerly known RAC and whatever they call the football stadium these days are both in Piscataway, for example.
Right, but from my recollection, all of the real campus stuff, and any entertainment stuff is in New Brunswick. So going to Piscataway, doesn't really give you the college experience. That being said, it's still not a destination many clamor to go to.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1555 on: July 28, 2022, 05:11:18 PM »
On the alternative, Morgantown was really pleasantly surprising.  Its really pretty in a lot of parts.

Sofa City

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: August 09, 2022, 04:20:59 PM »
In what might bode well for the Big East, ESPN is backing away from the Big 10 broadcast rights.https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/08/09/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten-TV-rights.aspx

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1557 on: August 09, 2022, 08:41:39 PM »
In what might bode well for the Big East, ESPN is backing away from the Big 10 broadcast rights.https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/08/09/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten-TV-rights.aspx

The Big East will likely steer clear of ESPN given its prior efforts to run the Big East out of business.

Fox is the incumbent but there are a number of new players on the market who might want to make a bid with streaming services: Apple, Amazon, Hulu, etc.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: August 09, 2022, 08:44:22 PM »
The Big East will likely steer clear of ESPN given its prior efforts to run the Big East out of business.

Fox is the incumbent but there are a number of new players on the market who might want to make a bid with streaming services: Apple, Amazon, Hulu, etc.
Yuk.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1559 on: August 09, 2022, 08:46:24 PM »

The Big East needs to stay away from streaming as a primary media rights holder. That would be a disaster.

And eliminating ESPN because I f what occurred over ten years ago would be simply bad business.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1560 on: August 09, 2022, 10:35:22 PM »
And eliminating ESPN because I f what occurred over ten years ago would be simply bad business.

You don't eliminate them but they come from a competitive disadvantage. Future ESPN deals outside the P2/3 will be heavy on games moving to ESPN+, which is why UConn wanted out of the AAC once their contract kicked in. Also to remember: ESPN picked up the NHL and that's 100 more regular season games to schedule on their networks through 2028 (and, by default, college games to go elsewhere).

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: August 09, 2022, 10:37:36 PM »
What about CU, IL.?

The biggest fear that the University of Illinois rahrahs have is that the University of Illinois at Chicago becomes meaningful. I mean, really, who would choose to live in the point at which God would give Illinois an enema when they could live in the third largest metro (for now) in the United States. Chicago has culture, sports and fine dining. Champaign has Godfather's Pizza, the left-overs from Lovie Smith and all the culture that can be crammed into a cornfield west of Willard Field.

Champaign is to university towns what toxic waste dumps are to fine living. Milwaukee, with all its ills, is thousands of times better a college town than Champaign, IL.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: August 10, 2022, 04:49:08 AM »
You don't eliminate them but they come from a competitive disadvantage. Future ESPN deals outside the P2/3 will be heavy on games moving to ESPN+, which is why UConn wanted out of the AAC once their contract kicked in. Also to remember: ESPN picked up the NHL and that's 100 more regular season games to schedule on their networks through 2028 (and, by default, college games to go elsewhere).

Talk about a goalpost shift…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1563 on: August 10, 2022, 11:57:32 AM »
Interesting reading the article. ABC first had Big Ten Coverage in 1966. I can remember going to the 1966 Michigan State Notre Dame game in East Lansing, the infamous 10-10 tie. The MSU fans were screaming "Kill Bubba Kill " for Bubba Smith. It was quite a spectacle and really kick started ABC as a college football leader.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: August 10, 2022, 05:45:32 PM »

ESPN picked up the NHL ... but only after having ticked off the NHL by spurning the league. Which might or might not be a parallel to its relationship - past, present and perhaps future - with the Big East.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1565 on: August 18, 2022, 08:38:05 AM »
The Big 10+ shows 7 billion reasons why it moved away from ESPN ...

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-nfl-entertainment-sports-basketball-4b4daca65e3359ef8ca94f893e4c46e9

The Big Ten’s new $7 billion media rights deal will string the conference’s top football games across three major networks each week, creating an NFL-style television schedule on Saturdays.

The Big Ten announced Thursday it has reached seven-year agreements with Fox, CBS and NBC to share the rights to the conference’s football and basketball games.

The deals go into effect in 2023, expire in 2030 and eventually will allow the conference’s soon-to-be 16 member universities to share more than $1 billion per year, a person familiar with the terms told The Associated Press.

Here's the NYT lead:

The Big Ten Conference has reached the richest-ever television agreement for a college athletic league, selling the rights to its competitions for an average of at least $1 billion a year.

The seven-year arrangement cements the Big Ten as one of the nation’s pre-eminent college sports leagues, but it promises to fuel the intensifying debate over how universities should treat athletes who are not paid salaries.

The deal, which reflects television networks’ desire to capitalize on America’s enormous appetite for sports, comes at a time of extraordinary upheaval in college athletics. The college sports industry has faced setbacks in statehouses and courtrooms, including one at the Supreme Court in 2021 that made it more vulnerable to antitrust challenges. And college sports’ diminished political influence has helped empower athletes to speak out against longstanding rules, like the ones that until last year had kept them from making money off their fame.

In turn, administrators and coaches have grown anxious as they watched their control ebb and the economic dynamics start to change.

Now the Big Ten is borrowing from a strategy that the N.F.L. has relied on to become North America’s wealthiest sports league and will split football games among multiple broadcast networks, with Fox, CBS and NBC each armed with sought-after time slots.

Beyond transforming the Big Ten into a powerhouse of football scheduling, the contract’s sheer value will give the league and its members a measure of stability in the years ahead. The conference’s expiring agreement is worth about $2.6 billion over six years; the new arrangement will take effect next July.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/sports/ncaafootball/big-ten-deal-tv.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20220818&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=101717&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: August 18, 2022, 08:47:41 AM »
My guess is that the B10 wanted to get this out there ASAP, and NOT look at additional expansion from the P12, because the University of California Regents were rumbling about blocking UCLA's move.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1567 on: August 18, 2022, 08:52:15 AM »
My guess is that the B10 wanted to get this out there ASAP, and NOT look at additional expansion from the P12, because the University of California Regents were rumbling about blocking UCLA's move.

Stanford would be laughing all the way to the figurative and literal bank if UCLA is held back.

The Big East is watching this CBS/NBC/Fox alliance very closely. If it wants a significant bounce from $4M per school, this may be an option.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:53:55 AM by DFW HOYA »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: August 18, 2022, 09:18:01 AM »
Right, but from my recollection, all of the real campus stuff, and any entertainment stuff is in New Brunswick. So going to Piscataway, doesn't really give you the college experience. That being said, it's still not a destination many clamor to go to.

New Brunswick was my hometown growing up. I lived a mile from the Queens college campus located on the west end of New Brunswick. Douglas college ( primarily still today the women's college) is located on the east end of town and south of Douglas is the Cook campus which houses the Agricultural college; yes, they don't call us the Garden State for nothing. Livingston college is located on the Piscataway campus where the bulk of classes are held. They all are considered Rutgers.

Well New Brunswick may not be the destination many clamor to go for college sports it is certainly a destination many clamor to go as it is the Corporate Head Quarters of Johnson &.Johnson and the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School as well as Rutgers University.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: August 18, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
Interesting reading the article. ABC first had Big Ten Coverage in 1966. I can remember going to the 1966 Michigan State Notre Dame game in East Lansing, the infamous 10-10 tie. The MSU fans were screaming "Kill Bubba Kill " for Bubba Smith. It was quite a spectacle and really kick started ABC as a college football leader.

I remember the 1966 Notre Dame/MSU game-----billed then as the "game of the century". Odd that it only took 3 years (Texas/Arkansas 1969) for the next " game of the century" to be played.

burger

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: August 21, 2022, 03:21:38 PM »
New Brunswick was my hometown growing up. I lived a mile from the Queens college campus located on the west end of New Brunswick. Douglas college ( primarily still today the women's college) is located on the east end of town and south of Douglas is the Cook campus which houses the Agricultural college; yes, they don't call us the Garden State for nothing. Livingston college is located on the Piscataway campus where the bulk of classes are held. They all are considered Rutgers.

Well New Brunswick may not be the destination many clamor to go for college sports it is certainly a destination many clamor to go as it is the Corporate Head Quarters of Johnson &.Johnson and the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School as well as Rutgers University.

I thought New Brunswick was a province.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1571 on: August 22, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »

Like Springfield, there's more than one.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: August 22, 2022, 09:37:21 AM »
Taught dey maid bowlin' balls, aina?

#freerocket2022v2

#freeziggy2022
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: August 22, 2022, 09:42:46 AM »
Doc,

Fxxk law and order. We need rocket and ziggy set free today!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: August 22, 2022, 10:25:11 AM »

University of New Brunswick to the Big East?