[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 328643 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1000 on: June 30, 2022, 03:29:33 PM »
I think the point still remains though. Less games against the rivals is not a positive development for Big Ten fans especially. The brand is getting pretty diluted.

The "brand" was diluted years ago. My dad gave up season tickets because "I don't want to pay $120 to watch Rutgers and Maryland."

It's all about TV. Attendance is down, the schools don't care. They're making their money off of TV deals. That's all that matters. And, expect to see more 20 (or more) game conference schedules. College sports (not just football) is about to be consolidated big time.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1001 on: June 30, 2022, 03:31:42 PM »
There are other options between staying in B12 and dropping their football program.

Sure there are other options, but Kansas is a bottom feeder to any football centric conference.  They bring no additional revenue opportunities.  It's possible one of these conferences will give some thought to basketball and let KU's contribution to football slide, but it's quite possible Kansas is left out of the fold.

At that point, Kansas can remain in some tier 2 football conference, but the  football program can easily become a cost as opposed to revenue generating and funding the other sports.  At that point, the Big East becomes attractive to allow their basketball program to remain a powerhouse and print money.  I'm not saying anything in imminent, but it is not far fetched...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: June 30, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »

Why would Kansas do this?  How does this make them more money? 

Independence in football is a completely loser move.  Even a school with a big fanbase and nice tradition in BYU couldn't make it work. And the B12 is still going to make money in football. Not SEC or B10 money for sure, but way more than they would going independent.

And the B12 is still going to be a very good basketball conference.  Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, etc.  IMO that's just as good as the BE.

So unless the B12 breaks apart with some sort of P12 merger, I just don't see this happening.  And even if that DOES happen, I would guess that Kansas would be on the inside.

If UCLA and USC move, I think the bolded is likely (well maybe not a merger, but another cascade of moves). The question is who are the targets, and who is doing the poaching.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1003 on: June 30, 2022, 03:32:56 PM »
The only people interested in those football programs are fans of those football programs. Zero cache

Sure. But who do you think is watching independent Kansas football or Big East basketball?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: June 30, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »
Sure there are other options, but Kansas is a bottom feeder to any football centric conference.  They bring no additional revenue opportunities.  It's possible one of these conferences will give some thought to basketball and let KU's contribution to football slide, but it's quite possible Kansas is left out of the fold.

At that point, Kansas can remain in some tier 2 football conference, but the  football program can easily become a cost as opposed to revenue generating and funding the other sports.  At that point, the Big East becomes attractive to allow their basketball program to remain a powerhouse and print money.  I'm not saying anything in imminent, but it is not far fetched...

I was thinking independent/dropping down a division for football before dropping the program.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: June 30, 2022, 03:35:58 PM »
The only people interested in those football programs are fans of those football programs. Zero cache

Isn't that true of all football programs?

And BYU has a massive national following.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: June 30, 2022, 03:38:12 PM »
The Big 16 should add Kansas so they can end their embarrassing basketball championship drought.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: June 30, 2022, 03:38:26 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/usc-ucla-leave-pac-12-big-ten-2024

They better come up with new names for these conferences.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:40:54 PM by muwarrior69 »

panda

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: June 30, 2022, 03:39:08 PM »
Isn't that true of all football programs?

And BYU has a massive national following.

No - personally, I greatly look forward to SEC game of the week on cbs, watching good b10 football etc. non betting neutrals aren’t tuning in for Colorado Washington football.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: June 30, 2022, 03:45:50 PM »
No - personally, I greatly look forward to SEC game of the week on cbs, watching good b10 football etc. non betting neutrals aren’t tuning in for Colorado Washington football.

Those aren't football programs. Those are the top game of the week from a conference.

You said "The only people interested in those football programs, are fans of those programs," that statement is true about all teams.

Now in any given year, if a team is a legit title contender, people will tune into those programs games, until they are no longer a title contender, that would include teams like BYU, Houston, TCU, etc., that were in that list you were writing about.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: June 30, 2022, 03:47:36 PM »
Those aren't football programs. Those are the top game of the week from a conference.

You said "The only people interested in those football programs, are fans of those programs," that statement is true about all teams.

Now in any given year, if a team is a legit title contender, people will tune into those programs games, until they are no longer a title contender, that would include teams like BYU, Houston, TCU, etc., that were in that list you were writing about.

I’ll make it real simple for you - people like good teams. Those teams mentioned have stunk, currently stink and will stink for many years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1011 on: June 30, 2022, 03:50:47 PM »
I don't know where this will all end, but this is why I've maintained that the Big East doesn't need to rush to expand with the likes of SLU, Dayton, etc. I don't think every current P5 football program will make the cut over the next five years. I think there will be a dozen or so former high majors who will end up in new equivalent of the AAC. A few of them may just have elite basketball programs and some may even be open to joining a top basketball conference and parking their football somewhere else. We have the opportunity to be the poachers not the poached.

Never fill up at the salad bar when you are waiting for your food at a steakhouse.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1012 on: June 30, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »

The above line up would still be a decent television draw.  Those aren't dinky schools with disinterested fanbases.

I don’t necessarily disagree.  Time will tell and TBH, Kansas has a coach who can win there. 

Either way, the Big East is in a very good spot today
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1013 on: June 30, 2022, 04:04:29 PM »
Either way, the Big East is in a very good spot today

Is it though? I really don't know if that's the case. These schools are going to be making even more money, and the BE has a media deal that ends in 2025. Last time they had a partner who needed programming. Is that partner, or another one, going to make a similar or better offer next time?

I am not convinced they are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DrJay24

• Walk-On
« Reply #1014 on: June 30, 2022, 04:05:06 PM »
I think the point still remains though. Less games against the rivals is not a positive development for Big Ten fans especially. The brand is getting pretty diluted.

100% correct.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1015 on: June 30, 2022, 04:45:23 PM »
Is it though? I really don't know if that's the case. These schools are going to be making even more money, and the BE has a media deal that ends in 2025. Last time they had a partner who needed programming. Is that partner, or another one, going to make a similar or better offer next time?

I am not convinced they are.

They are.  The TV deal will be better and the league still has cache.  We have to remember football is largely a one-day experience through the end of November.  TV needs inventory in January and February. 

The league will never approach what the SEC and Big 16 or 20 gets.  They won’t even be in the same state, much less zipcode but they aren’t in facilities races with their football programs or trying to match football NIL.

The league is also in good shape with regards to membership.  I suppose someone might have visions of big-time football, but the truth is, these are basketball schools. 

I’m not going to pretend they can win an arms race with the mega conferences coming but they can win a lot of basketball games and get a lot of air time

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: June 30, 2022, 05:19:48 PM »
So where does the P12 go next? They missed on BYU. I assume SDSU, Fresno St., Eastern Washington, Colorado St, UNLV?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: June 30, 2022, 05:22:49 PM »
So where does the P12 go next? They missed on BYU. I assume SDSU, Fresno St., Eastern Washington, Colorado St, UNLV?

They won't go after any of those.

I'd guess an attempt to poach the B12, or they stay firm at their current team roster.

More likely the B12 tries to poach a team or two from the P12, then the P12 goes after any of those teams.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1018 on: June 30, 2022, 05:34:16 PM »

The dustbin of history

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1019 on: June 30, 2022, 05:41:10 PM »

They will either get poached by the B12, poach the B12, or merge with the B12. I think the B1G might take 2 or 4 more.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1020 on: June 30, 2022, 05:53:50 PM »

Don't surprised to see BYU try to get out of the Big 12 and go to the Pac instead. That was always their preferred destination.

Eastern Washington may not even stay D1, they're definitely not jumping from FCS to the Pac.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mug644

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: June 30, 2022, 06:12:24 PM »

Gonzaga?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1022 on: June 30, 2022, 06:15:41 PM »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: June 30, 2022, 06:26:42 PM »
Realignment will come full circle when Boston College, Pittsburgh and Syracuse come crawling back to the Big East to save their basketball programs.  There is zero chance that they get elevated and 100% chance that they get left behind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1024 on: June 30, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »
Realignment will come full circle when Boston College, Pittsburgh and Syracuse come crawling back to the Big East to save their basketball programs.  There is zero chance that they get elevated and 100% chance that they get left behind.

I don’t know if it matters anymore (I know about Nebraska), but Big Ten schools are supposed to like-minded AAU schools, which eliminates BC but not Pitt.  I can’t fathom they’d take Pitt but if they need inventoy, they’d fit that way.

Duke, UNC, Virginia, Oregon, Pitt, GaTech, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Kansas, Mizzou, Stanford and Cal would all fit the bill from that standpoint.

I throw Mizzou in there because I don’t think the SEC would lose sleep over them leaving potentially, not that they would

feedback