[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 327284 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #975 on: June 30, 2022, 01:35:50 PM »
Big ten and SEC will continue to poach until 2 30 team mega conferences. Then go on their own for football

I still think schools like Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia, VATech, NC State and Wake get left behind.

BC and GATech get poached because “markets”, similar to Miami.

FSU and Clemson will make a lot of sense for the SEC.

The fight will be over UNC, Duke and Virginia and I think the SEC will end up with two of them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #976 on: June 30, 2022, 01:50:15 PM »
Reporting coming out that the Big 10 presidents met last night and it was either unanimous or nearly unanimous to add UCLA/USC, and it'll be formally announced soon (like perhaps this evening). That's crazy this didn't leak sooner.

Completely agree with Uncle Rico, schools like Louisville/WVU/Syracuse/Arizona State that are "decent" markets get left behind. Schools like Oregon St/Wash St/Va Tech/Iowa St are really going to be left in no man's land.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #977 on: June 30, 2022, 01:52:43 PM »
Reporting coming out that the Big 10 presidents met last night and it was either unanimous or nearly unanimous to add UCLA/USC, and it'll be formally announced soon (like perhaps this evening). That's crazy this didn't leak sooner.

Completely agree with Uncle Rico, schools like Louisville/WVU/Syracuse/Arizona State that are "decent" markets get left behind. Schools like Oregon St/Wash St/Va Tech/Iowa St are really going to be left in no man's land.

I’d guess Oregon and Washington will follow UCLA and USC shortly.  I’m curious about Cal and Stanford

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #978 on: June 30, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
I still think schools like Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia, VATech, NC State and Wake get left behind.

BC and GATech get poached because “markets”, similar to Miami.

FSU and Clemson will make a lot of sense for the SEC.

The fight will be over UNC, Duke and Virginia and I think the SEC will end up with two of them

I am very much looking forward to the day when some of the schools that get left behind decide it is more profitable to drop their football programs and join the Big East for basketball.  Welcome Kansas and Lousiville!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #979 on: June 30, 2022, 02:37:59 PM »
I am very much looking forward to the day when some of the schools that get left behind decide it is more profitable to drop their football programs and join the Big East for basketball.  Welcome Kansas and Lousiville!

We are a long way from that happening. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #980 on: June 30, 2022, 02:42:53 PM »

It’ll happen much quicker than you think. My guess is Kansas announces within the year, they’ll move to the BE followed by some other bigger hoops centric schools.

• All American
« Reply #981 on: June 30, 2022, 02:44:09 PM »
It’ll happen much quicker than you think. My guess is Kansas announces within the year, they’ll move to the BE followed by some other bigger hoops centric schools.

Oh for goodness sakes no. There is zero chance Kansas is dropping football "within the year."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #982 on: June 30, 2022, 02:44:52 PM »

I disagree

panda

• All American
« Reply #983 on: June 30, 2022, 02:46:26 PM »

Oh for goodness sakes no. There is zero chance Kansas is dropping football "within the year."

There are other options between staying in B12 and dropping their football program.

• All American
« Reply #984 on: June 30, 2022, 02:51:55 PM »
There are other options between staying in B12 and dropping their football program.

Well they aren't going independent if that's what you mean.  Kansas and the B12 are in markedly better shape than UConn was in the American.

panda

• All American
« Reply #985 on: June 30, 2022, 02:53:07 PM »

Well they aren't going independent if that's what you mean.  Kansas and the B12 are in markedly better shape than UConn was in the American.

Not if the b12 falls apart and turns into the American. I’m thinking long term here not present day.

• All American
« Reply #986 on: June 30, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
Not if the b12 falls apart and turns into the American. I’m thinking long term here not present day.

What?  You said:

My guess is Kansas announces within the year, they’ll move to the BE followed by some other bigger hoops centric schools.

panda

• All American
« Reply #987 on: June 30, 2022, 02:56:18 PM »
What?  You said:

I anticipate the B12 will fall apart and my guess is that Kansas administrators have that same hunch. They’ll make a move soon. Just my opinion.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #988 on: June 30, 2022, 03:06:43 PM »
I anticipate the B12 will fall apart and my guess is that Kansas administrators have that same hunch. They’ll make a move soon. Just my opinion.

I’d also guess Kansas has had these discussions for a long time with various leagues and know the scenarios

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #989 on: June 30, 2022, 03:06:58 PM »
From a Badger fan perspective, I’d have to imagine this move is really “meh”. I assume USC/UCLA would be in the West division. That would mean Purdue and Northwestern (just guessing based on geography) would move over to the East. So, Badger fans would see Michigan and Ohio State at home once every 4 years?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #990 on: June 30, 2022, 03:07:38 PM »
Kansas is coming y’all…

DrJay24

• Walk-On
« Reply #991 on: June 30, 2022, 03:08:12 PM »
From a Badger fan perspective, I’d have to imagine this move is really “meh”. I assume USC/UCLA would be in the West division. That would mean Purdue and Northwestern (just guessing based on geography) would move over to the East. So, Badger fans would see Michigan and Ohio State at home once every 4 years?

Divisions are going away any time now.  Maybe as soon as this is announced.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #992 on: June 30, 2022, 03:08:39 PM »

I don't think Kansas can legal drop football entirely "within the year". What is more likely is they join the big east in 2025 with with Gonzaga, and their football team will go independent.

panda

• All American
« Reply #993 on: June 30, 2022, 03:09:19 PM »
I’d also guess Kansas has had these discussions for a long time with various leagues and know the scenarios

Yep

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #994 on: June 30, 2022, 03:12:17 PM »
Does this mean Pac-12 expands to replace?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #995 on: June 30, 2022, 03:15:49 PM »
Divisions are going away any time now.  Maybe as soon as this is announced.

I think the point still remains though. Less games against the rivals is not a positive development for Big Ten fans especially. The brand is getting pretty diluted.

• All American
« Reply #996 on: June 30, 2022, 03:18:59 PM »
I don't think Kansas can legal drop football entirely "within the year". What is more likely is they join the big east in 2025 with with Gonzaga, and their football team will go independent.

Why would Kansas do this?  How does this make them more money? 

Independence in football is a completely loser move.  Even a school with a big fanbase and nice tradition in BYU couldn't make it work. And the B12 is still going to make money in football. Not SEC or B10 money for sure, but way more than they would going independent.

And the B12 is still going to be a very good basketball conference.  Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, etc.  IMO that's just as good as the BE.

So unless the B12 breaks apart with some sort of P12 merger, I just don't see this happening.  And even if that DOES happen, I would guess that Kansas would be on the inside.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #997 on: June 30, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »

Why would Kansas do this?  How does this make them more money? 

Independence in football is a completely loser move.  Even a school with a big fanbase and nice tradition in BYU couldn't make it work. And the B12 is still going to make money in football. Not SEC or B10 money for sure, but way more than they would going independent.

And the B12 is still going to be a very good basketball conference.  Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, etc.  IMO that's just as good as the BE.

So unless the B12 breaks apart with some sort of P12 merger, I just don't see this happening.  And even if that DOES happen, I would guess that Kansas would be on the inside.

Is maintaining a zombie football league with Oregon State, Wazzu, the Arizona schools, BYU, Colorado and what’s left in Texas good enough for them to maintain a football program in that league or barnstorm as an independent? 

I don’t think we know.  The new Big Whatever and SEC will eat the majority of the TV money. 

• All American
« Reply #998 on: June 30, 2022, 03:25:18 PM »
Is maintaining a zombie football league with Oregon State, Wazzu, the Arizona schools, BYU, Colorado and what’s left in Texas good enough for them to maintain a football program in that league or barnstorm as an independent? 

I don’t think we know.  The new Big Whatever and SEC will eat the majority of the TV money. 

The above line up would still be a decent television draw.  Those aren't dinky schools with disinterested fanbases.

panda

• All American
« Reply #999 on: June 30, 2022, 03:26:41 PM »

The above line up would still be a decent television draw.  Those aren't dinky schools with disinterested fanbases.

The only people interested in those football programs are fans of those football programs. Zero cache

feedback