[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318397 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #775 on: January 07, 2022, 02:54:53 PM »
wow, I didn't realize my comment about "Chicago area" was going to cause such a heated discussion.  ;D

Should have specified I was referring to his time coaching at Joliet, not Lasalle. Sorry, everyone!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #776 on: January 07, 2022, 04:22:41 PM »
What's the distance conversion from Tim Hortons to Dunkin Donuts?
LOL! According to Wikipedia, there are 9,384 Dunkin Donuts in the US and 4,286 Tim Horton's in Canada, so I'm going with 1 Tim Horton's = 2.19 Dunkin Donuts.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #777 on: January 20, 2022, 04:34:43 PM »
https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/20/ncaa-future-power-5-football-basketball-money

If the P5 are already talking secession publicly, I have to think that's where this ends.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #778 on: January 20, 2022, 07:06:33 PM »
https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/20/ncaa-future-power-5-football-basketball-money

If the P5 are already talking secession publicly, I have to think that's where this ends.

It's inevitable.  They have the eyeballs and the $$ that follow.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #779 on: January 20, 2022, 07:25:06 PM »
I can see the FBS splitting further. I don't think they will mess with March madness significantly other than kicking out some low majors conferences
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #780 on: January 20, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »
Not gonna worry about it at all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #781 on: January 20, 2022, 07:58:44 PM »
How things play out, especially where the BE is concerned will be interesting. I see where UCONN is on the hook to pay former coach Kevin Ollie $11M, putting their athletic department in yet a bigger financial hole. Thus, what is their viability to remain in a major conference if there is a big-time D-1 implosion? Will there be a Big East?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #782 on: January 20, 2022, 08:17:54 PM »
How things play out, especially where the BE is concerned will be interesting. I see where UCONN is on the hook to pay former coach Kevin Ollie $11M, putting their athletic department in yet a bigger financial hole. Thus, what is their viability to remain in a major conference if there is a big-time D-1 implosion? Will there be a Big East?

Between that and the big money they paid to join the Beast, the fine taxpayers of Connecticut have paid for a very expensive basketball program. Thanks, MUFIC!
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #783 on: January 21, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »
Between that and the big money they paid to join the Beast, the fine taxpayers of Connecticut have paid for a very expensive basketball program. Thanks, MUFIC!

No problem!
Anything to make the Big East conference the best possible!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #784 on: January 21, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »
I can see the FBS splitting further. I don't think they will mess with March madness significantly other than kicking out some low majors conferences

NCAA makes 90% of its revenue from MM. Whatever happens in football, there still gonna be a big ole basketball tournament every year.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #785 on: January 21, 2022, 10:28:24 AM »
NCAA makes 90% of its revenue from MM. Whatever happens in football, there still gonna be a big ole basketball tournament every year.

While I agree, if the FBS did completely split and run their own basketball tournament, how much money would it generate?  Very likely not nearly as much, but the pot would need to be split a lot less ways.  And instantly the NCAA tournament becomes a lot less valuable, leaving it with no money to run anything.

That's why in the end, the FBS gets what they want.  They know most of the eyeballs and the $$ will follow them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #786 on: January 21, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
From the read, it's going to set minimums for D-1 so that may affect like the bottom 20-40 D-1 teams, more so then the rest of the schools.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #787 on: January 21, 2022, 04:28:16 PM »

yes, the NCAA does. But the Power Five schools make their money from football TV deals and their cable networks.

IF the Power Five agree to not split to save the NCAA tourney I can see fewer automatic bids for mid and low major conferences and more guaranteed bids for the Power Five schools. Think of it like the World Cup where each federation gets a set number of spots...if any at all (Oceania).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #788 on: January 21, 2022, 04:45:26 PM »
yes, the NCAA does. But the Power Five schools make their money from football TV deals and their cable networks.

IF the Power Five agree to not split to save the NCAA tourney I can see fewer automatic bids for mid and low major conferences and more guaranteed bids for the Power Five schools. Think of it like the World Cup where each federation gets a set number of spots...if any at all (Oceania).

Where do we fit in in this hierarchy?

There's zero metrics to support a claim the big east is a mid major and we're certainly not a power 5 for obvious throwball/runball reasons. So...?
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #789 on: January 21, 2022, 05:01:58 PM »

Right, but I guess I'm say regardless of what happens with football there's going to be a big college basketball tournament every year - NCAA or not. And I bet it will look pretty similar to what we have now since MM is the best annual sporting event on the planet - precisely because sh*t P5 schools don't make it in and some no-name, tri-directional, reptiled-mascot school of 1800 students makes the S16 every year or two.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #790 on: January 21, 2022, 05:05:06 PM »
Where do we fit in in this hierarchy?

There's zero metrics to support a claim the big east is a mid major and we're certainly not a power 5 for obvious throwball/runball reasons. So...?

as far as Power Five leaders are concerned, there is them and the rest of the conferences. If there is a second level it's whatever is left of the Group of Five conferences.

I do expect to see a reduction of Division 1 programs. Not any schools in legit non-football conferences like the BE, A-10, WCC, but I can see budget requirements to stay in D1.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #791 on: January 21, 2022, 05:08:13 PM »
Right, but I guess I'm say regardless of what happens with football there's going to be a big college basketball tournament every year - NCAA or not. And I bet it will look pretty similar to what we have now since MM is the best annual sporting event on the planet - precisely because sh*t P5 schools don't make it in and some no-name, tri-directional, reptiled-mascot school of 1800 students makes the S16 every year or two.

Agreed, but I do think Billy is right that they will try to boot some of the low-major conferences so that there are less AQs and more spots available for high major programs, along with some changes about how NCAAT money is allocated.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #792 on: January 21, 2022, 05:42:12 PM »
as far as Power Five leaders are concerned, there is them and the rest of the conferences. If there is a second level it's whatever is left of the Group of Five conferences.

I do expect to see a reduction of Division 1 programs. Not any schools in legit non-football conferences like the BE, A-10, WCC, but I can see budget requirements to stay in D1.

So I have to ask. if they did split, given the amount of success non FBS schools have been having of late would they be concerned about the bad PR for being seen as "running"?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #793 on: January 21, 2022, 05:53:58 PM »
So I have to ask. if they did split, given the amount of success non FBS schools have been having of late would they be concerned about the bad PR for being seen as "running"?

Not a chance
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

1SE

• All American
« Reply #794 on: January 22, 2022, 05:28:24 AM »
Agreed, but I do think Billy is right that they will try to boot some of the low-major conferences so that there are less AQs and more spots available for high major programs, along with some changes about how NCAAT money is allocated.

You're probably right, but it would be a shame. I'd much rather have 13-18 west florida A&M sweep through their conference tourney and get a chance to slay Duke, then see a 6-12 in conference Penn State team get that spot.

It's also.why I think the FA Cup is the second best soccer tourney on the planet. I love that the Semi-pro guys who work.down at the pub and and play on 3rd division Little Wigginton Junction have the chance to take on Chelsea.

David v Golitah is what puts the Madness in MM. Take away the Davids and it's a much less interesting event.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #795 on: January 22, 2022, 06:00:27 AM »
The problem was a there are double the Davids than there were a generation ago. There will still be plenty to choose from.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #796 on: January 22, 2022, 06:39:18 AM »

I think they should expand the tournament to 72 and have the last 16 at-large teams play on Tuesday and Wednesday. More at-large teams would mean more high-majors, and having all at-large teams would get better ratings on those first two days (compare the 16 vs 11 seed first four numbers). It would also guarantee every autobid gets to play in the main field of 64 while making the path easier for protected seeds because you wouldn't have two of the worst teams eliminated before the real tourney starts.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #797 on: January 22, 2022, 07:55:35 AM »
The problem was a there are double the Davids than there were a generation ago. There will still be plenty to choose from.

And, other than the first four, its a better event than a generation ago- and to fix the first four peoblem Brews idea of some kind of at large play in tourney is great - and.let.the losers.of.that still.go.to.the.NIT if they want

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #798 on: January 22, 2022, 08:09:49 AM »
NOOOOOOO!  He said Cardinal fan!   &$!:+@!*;"&@_

Be careful Brother Tower!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #799 on: January 22, 2022, 08:36:06 AM »
Be careful Brother Tower!