[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 325349 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2021, 01:54:59 PM »
Yes and no. The Big East would like to add Gonzaga, but, it isn’t filled with many Gonzaga like programs in it. Some here think it’s a Gonzaga or bust world. I understand the thought behind wanting that.

But I also can get past that and give an opinion whether or not SLU would be successful in the Big East. I think they would be and I said in part some reasons why.

Nah. You’re trying too hard again.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »
If they add, I hope they go to a 22-game conference schedule. No team, not even Gonzaga, is worth giving up the double round robin for. Watching the unbalanced schedules of other leagues like the B10 or SEC really reinforces why DRR is the only way to go.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2021, 02:07:32 PM »
I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has argued that SLU couldn't be successful in the Big East. I think what people have argued is that they wouldn't be valuable enough to the Big East to warrant splitting the pie an additional slice, which I think is pretty inarguable. That's not an insult to SLU, I think there are very few programs that valuable. Gonzaga may be the only one that's also somewhat realistic.

If Fox demands a 12th team in exchange for a more lucrative contract renewal, and Gonzaga says no, I would imagine that SLU would be on the short list of candidates.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2021, 02:10:59 PM »
WEST            EAST
——-             ———
MU                PC   
DeP               GEORGE
CREI              NOVA
BUT               STJ
X                   S HALL
+1                 UCONN

Play everyone in your division 2x, play every team in other division 1x. That’s 16 games.
That may be a little light.
Can’t imagine playing more than 20 conference (similar to this year), if another team is added.

The West there is awfully close to the 89- 91 MCC.
GO WARRIORS!

• All American
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:52 PM »
I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has argued that SLU couldn't be successful in the Big East. I think what people have argued is that they wouldn't be valuable enough to the Big East to warrant splitting the pie an additional slice, which I think is pretty inarguable. That's not an insult to SLU, I think there are very few programs that valuable. Gonzaga may be the only one that's also somewhat realistic.

If Fox demands a 12th team in exchange for a more lucrative contract renewal, and Gonzaga says no, I would imagine that SLU would be on the short list of candidates.

Yep. But shoot has to react instinctively whenever anyone even mildly criticizes anything connected to St Louis. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
What are you even talking about? I said using only the last decade (or last 5 years) makes MU look bad comparatively. But down periods happen and do not a program make.  I repeatedly used longer time periods cause it’s a indicator of program strength.  Short term, which you used to position SLU as more successful than Marquette, also didn’t really shine all that favorable on SLU in the grand scheme.

If you want to be taken seriously around here, you need to own your bias and also stop accusing everyone of some sort of outsized STL hate.  I could care less about STL or SLU except when people with bias towards them make claims I disagree with.  You don’t refute actual stats that disagree with your stance, just write novels on other stuff or just claim people don’t want to be objective against poor picked on STL.

You’re totally entitled to your thoughts and opinions about what HS recruits might stay around, that’s fair, but using NBA players, nearly a decade past their college decisions, supporting their hometown as some indicator that they would have played at SLU is as silly as people believing Lebron when he used to talk about the list of colleges he would have considered if he went to college.

Actually, it’s couldn’t care less. If you could care less it means you could care less. And if you meant couldn’t care less, here you are replying to this topic as opposed to the many others I post about. You certainly aren’t alone.

It’s like baseball. Many people posted in that thread over and over, even for the few months I wasn’t even around, saying the St. Louis baseball team had no chance at making the playoffs and, that their player acquisitions weren’t going to help them etc…I said they may or may not he successful, but I explained why they did what they did. Because I don’t get triggered by those things, I didn’t need to point out that some were wildly incorrect there.

And again specifics matter and facts matter. With regard to players, multiple players are on record publicly saying these things. Tatum choice was 5 years ago. SLU was a finalist. Other players have said similar things.

I never said SLU was more successful than Marquette. I did say that SLU has made the NCAA Tourney 4 times in the past decade, which is the same as Marquette, and they are expected to have a better season than Marquette this year. It’s a point to illustrate how a potential new conference member is doing. SLU certainly needs to win more. Marquette is fortunate to already be in the league in that regard. You then keep comparing SLU and Marquette excessively so. I pointed out that at one point you wanted to use a shorter time frame. Then at another point you wanted to use another time frame as long as it supported your position. Yet you objected when some of those things didn’t support your position.

I pointed out the positives and challenges that SLU has now and had in the past. Anything short ot negative of trolling of a place isn’t going to appease the smaller percentage of tribal posters that do the bulk of the posting. That’s really a tribe problem and not a me problem.

I post about a wide variety of topics in a wide variety of threads. Yet here we are again.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »
Yep. But shoot has to react instinctively whenever anyone even mildly criticizes anything connected to St Louis.

Nah. That isn’t it. You got bothered when I pointed out how many times Marquette has made the NCAA Tourney this past decade and how many NCAA 2nd weekends they have made in the past 40 plus years. That’s what happened in this particular exchange. Each example would be unique and different.

I explained the positives and challenges of SLU past and present.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2021, 02:51:42 PM »

See, this is a reasonable post, more reasonable than your recent “The Cardinals Blow” post. If people actually objectively discuss the topics they would find more common ground, positives, challenges, on a variety of topics.

The Fox deal is likely to increase with or without adding any teams. If Fox wants more inventory with more investment, SLU would be a good choice as an add in part because of some of the reasons I mentioned. They have to keep doing their part too.

• All American
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2021, 02:53:33 PM »
Nah. That isn’t it. You got bothered when I pointed out how many times Marquette has made the NCAA Tourney this past decade and how many NCAA 2nd weekends they have made in the past 40 plus years. That’s what happened in this particular exchange. Each example would be unique and different.

I explained the positives and challenges of SLU past and present.

No your bringing up Marquette didn’t bother me. It was completely irrelevant to your position.

And you were well down the road of defending SLU’s honor when you did so.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2021, 03:31:55 PM »
See, this is a reasonable post, more reasonable than your recent “The Cardinals Blow” post. If people actually objectively discuss the topics they would find more common ground, positives, challenges, on a variety of topics.

The Fox deal is likely to increase with or without adding any teams. If Fox wants more inventory with more investment, SLU would be a good choice as an add in part because of some of the reasons I mentioned. They have to keep doing their part too.

What "Cardinals Blow" post?
TAMU

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
What "Cardinals Blow" post?

It’s in the baseball thread.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #286 on: October 17, 2021, 04:47:17 PM »
If they add, I hope they go to a 22-game conference schedule. No team, not even Gonzaga, is worth giving up the double round robin for. Watching the unbalanced schedules of other leagues like the B10 or SEC really reinforces why DRR is the only way to go.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2021, 05:42:36 PM »
Alumni of St Thomas in MN, who is in its first year of D1, expect to be part of the Big East “within a few years”
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:24:09 PM by Badgerhater »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2021, 05:49:05 PM »
I agree with this.

The only other option for me would be to add three teams and then have two divisions.
West division for example Gonzaga, St. Mary's, St. Louis, Creighton, DePaul, MU and Butler. Play your division twice and the other division once would be 19 games.

Frankly, I rather stay at 11 teams.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2021, 06:00:26 PM »
Alumni of St Thomas in MN who is in its first year of D3 expect to be part of the Big East “within a few years”

I expect to marry Kate Beckinsale
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2021, 06:04:01 PM »
why does the round robin matter that much? who cares

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »
It’s in the baseball thread.

I think you have me confused with someone else. My last post about the cardinals literally called them impressive.  But I understand that in your tribalism, you think everyone who is not a part of your Tribe is the same.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:28:18 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #292 on: October 17, 2021, 06:26:49 PM »

It guarantees an even schedule for all teams. Without it,  a team could win the conference because they got to play DePaul twice while the team in second had to play Villanova twice.

It's not the end of the world if we lose it, but I think most fans prefer the double round Robin to unbalanced schedules
TAMU

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2021, 06:39:28 PM »
That will be my vote!

That will be a lot of people's vote!!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
I think you have me confused with someone else. My last post about the cardinals literally called them impressive.  But I understand that in your tribalism, you think everyone who is not a part of your Tribe is the same.  ;D

Nope, I’m not confused. Actually, it’s still there, from September 20th.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2021, 07:14:33 PM »
It guarantees an even schedule for all teams. Without it,  a team could win the conference because they got to play DePaul twice while the team in second had to play Villanova twice.

It's not the end of the world if we lose it, but I think most fans prefer the double round Robin to unbalanced schedules

In addition to the above , the benefit of the double round robin is that rivalries are developing as a result of the familiarity fans have of coaches and players across the league. Rivalries are what make college sports great and drive attendance and interest. For example , I personally look forward to our home and away games against Cooley & Company , always well fought battles .

One of the other leagues that has the double round robin is the Big 12 and they have become a consistently strong conference top to bottom every year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2021, 07:14:58 PM »

It’s like baseball. Many people posted in that thread over and over, even for the few months I wasn’t even around, saying the St. Louis baseball team had no chance at making the playoffs and, that their player acquisitions weren’t going to help them etc…I said they may or may not he successful, but I explained why they did what they did. Because I don’t get triggered by those things, I didn’t need to point out that some were wildly incorrect there.

hoops

I was one of the people who mocked the Cardinals for wasting their time and money on John Lester and J.A. Happ. And I didn’t think your explanation made much sense, either. What happened in September proved that they (and you) were right and I was wrong. I still think Lester and Happ are pretty much done, but (to my surprise) they still had something in the tank.

• All American
« Reply #297 on: October 17, 2021, 07:41:37 PM »
In addition to the above , the benefit of the double round robin is that rivalries are developing as a result of the familiarity fans have of coaches and players across the league. Rivalries are what make college sports great and drive attendance and interest. For example , I personally look forward to our home and away games against Cooley & Company , always well fought battles .

One of the other leagues that has the double round robin is the Big 12 and they have become a consistently strong conference top to bottom every year.

Which they will be dumping with their new additions.

I like the double round robin, but it's not that big of a deal IMO.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #298 on: October 17, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
hoops

I was one of the people who mocked the Cardinals for wasting their time and money on John Lester and J.A. Happ. And I didn’t think your explanation made much sense, either. What happened in September proved that they (and you) were right and I was wrong. I still think Lester and Happ are pretty much done, but (to my surprise) they still had something in the tank.

I appreciate the post. It isn’t necessary. I don’t want to take away from this thread topic.

I also posted before the season that the Cardinals would be “in the mix” among a few other teams in their division. But they needed to add some pieces that they hadn’t done. I posted that Kolten Wong was a good pick up for the Brewers before the season to crickets. And so on.

Lester (for example) changed the way he pitched, sequences and pitch selection. Changeups and sinkers instead of 4 seam fastballs. That’s why he was more successful. He was stubborn but he was open to some change when he was there.

As for this thread topic, I already posted some of the past/present, pros/cons of SLU, what I know, and what I thought. It isn’t all that difficult to find common ground.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:00:49 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #299 on: October 17, 2021, 08:02:47 PM »
Alumni of St Thomas in MN, who is in its first year of D1, expect to be part of the Big East “within a few years”

I'd rather have St Thomas in the BE than SLU.

feedback