Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 327207 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1150 on: July 03, 2022, 12:37:25 PM »
You’re making my point. Rutgers and Maryland have no brand recognition. They’re not growing the b10 brand. Usc and ucla will absolutely do that.

Rutgers and Maryland were worthless additions with the idea of eastern expansion. Usc and ucla could be located anywhere and they both carry the name that will excite common fans anywhere.

They weren't worthless by a long-shot.  Adding both jumped the Big Ten payouts to over $50 million annually, a benefit that every single Big Ten President, BOT, AD and football program would do over again and twice on Sunday.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: July 03, 2022, 12:46:08 PM »
They weren't worthless by a long-shot.  Adding both jumped the Big Ten payouts to over $50 million annually, a benefit that every single Big Ten President, BOT, AD and football program would do over again and twice on Sunday.

Jim Delaney negotiating amazing tv deals increased payouts - not rutgers and Maryland.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: July 03, 2022, 12:54:47 PM »
Jim Delaney negotiating amazing tv deals increased payouts - not rutgers and Maryland.

I'm afraid you're not giving the network executives due credit.  While Delaney had long sought an Eastern presence, he never in a million years would have recommended both additions to Presidents had networks (i.e. Fox) not given the valuation data on what a new TV payout would bring.  Neither Delaney, the Presidents or fans determine that number; networks do.

Delaney was sensational in continuing to negotiate short-term deals regularly.  The ACC and AAC unfortunately did not get that memo.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: July 03, 2022, 01:02:47 PM »
I'm afraid you're not giving the network executives due credit.  While Delaney had long sought an Eastern presence, he never in a million years would have recommended both additions to Presidents had networks (i.e. Fox) not given the valuation data on what a new TV payout would bring.  Neither Delaney, the Presidents or fans determine that number; networks do.

Delaney was sensational in continuing to negotiate short-term deals regularly.  The ACC and AAC unfortunately did not get that memo.

They already have an east coast presence with far more value in Penn State. The distribution values increased as big ten networks availability on cable and recently streaming services increased.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: July 03, 2022, 01:13:35 PM »
They already have an east coast presence with far more value in Penn State. The distribution values increased as big ten networks availability on cable and recently streaming services increased.

You do realize that Penn State alone could not and does not carry the east coast by itself tight?  Penn State had long wanted additional eastern presence.  Again, getting into the DC and NJ markets (for viewership, recruiting and exposure) was a home run, regardless of whether Maryland or Rutgers ever compete for a championship in football.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: July 03, 2022, 01:16:51 PM »
You do realize that Penn State alone could not and does not carry the east coast by itself tight?  Penn State had long wanted additional eastern presence.  Again, getting into the DC and NJ markets (for viewership, recruiting and exposure) was a home run, regardless of whether Maryland or Rutgers ever compete for a championship in football.

I’m just curious how two programs with no football history and small football followings are alone responsible for such a massive bump? All of a sudden fans on the east coast just start to care about b10 because two bad programs within the general vicinity of their homes are added to the conference ?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: July 03, 2022, 01:32:59 PM »
I’m just curious how two programs with no football history and small football followings are alone responsible for such a massive bump? All of a sudden fans on the east coast just start to care about b10 because two bad programs within the general vicinity of their homes are added to the conference ?

Because the networks determine that value.  They saw new TV boxes in NJ (and NY) and DC, two areas with strong B1G alumni presence.  Adding those two top-10 media markets significantly added to the Midwestern presence the B1G already had.  The fact that both were/are AAU, offer strong academics and invest heavily in academic research was icing on the cake.

Rutgers and Maryland were not added for athletic branding; they were added for their institutional fit, media market and increases exposure on the east coast. Delaney long sought an Eastern wing, and the networks determined great value in that pursuit as well (just like Fox determined adding USC and UCLA bring new payouts to over $100 million with a new presence in Los Angeles).

Think about it: the B1G now resides with programs in: NYC (#1), Los Angeles (#2), Chicago (#3) and Philadelphia (#4).  Dallas will likely jump Philadelphia soon, but the point remains.  If the B1G gets Stanford to pair with ND, they then get access to the Bay area (San Francisco is #6).  To note, D.C. is #7.  It's possible the B1G will have direct access to six of the top-10 markets in the country (and each of those markets has a strong presence of B1G alumni). 

Everything that has happened, and will happen, makes a ton of financial sense for both the conferences and networks alike.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: July 03, 2022, 01:42:17 PM »
Because the networks determine that value.  They saw new TV boxes in NJ (and NY) and DC, two areas with strong B1G alumni presence.  Adding those two top-10 media markets significantly added to the Midwestern presence the B1G already had.  The fact that both were/are AAU, offer strong academics and invest heavily in academic research was icing on the cake.

Rutgers and Maryland were not added for athletic branding; they were added for their institutional fit, media market and increases exposure on the east coast. Delaney long sought an Eastern wing, and the networks determined great value in that pursuit as well (just like Fox determined adding USC and UCLA bring new payouts to over $100 million with a new presence in Los Angeles).

Think about it: the B1G now resides with programs in: NYC (#1), Los Angeles (#2), Chicago (#3) and Philadelphia (#4).  Dallas will likely jump Philadelphia soon, but the point remains.  If the B1G gets Stanford to pair with ND, they then get access to the Bay area (San Francisco is #6).  To note, D.C. is #7.  It's possible the B1G will have direct access to six of the top-10 markets in the country (and each of those markets has a strong presence of B1G alumni). 

Everything that has happened, and will happen, makes a ton of financial sense for both the conferences and networks alike.

Doing some actual research on my own - I’m wrong:-)

But - I do think going after markets will be less important with the new tv model going forward.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: July 03, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »
Doing some actual research on my own - I’m wrong:-)

But - I do think going after markets will be less important with the new tv model going forward.

I concur.  Consolidating with the top athletic brands is what's occurring.  The Big Ten can afford to be picky (i.e. wait for ND, take Stanford/Washington/Oregon, wait for ACC GOR to expire).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1159 on: July 03, 2022, 02:01:39 PM »

Now if the Big Ten could get a couple good football teams , the conference would have a future .🤓
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: July 03, 2022, 02:02:59 PM »
Nashville is a good market

And the SEC has a huge presence in Nashville without Vanderbilt.

You ever heard of the University of Tennessee? There likely are far more Vol grads in Nashville than Commodores and the UT subway alumni in those parts is huge.

Vanderbilt will be gone if they can be replaced with a better product. Perhaps to the remnants of the ACC.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1161 on: July 03, 2022, 02:10:15 PM »
Rutgers and Maryland were all about getting the BTN on cable systems in New York and Washington. It was a very smart move by the B10.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1162 on: July 03, 2022, 04:56:23 PM »
And the SEC has a huge presence in Nashville without Vanderbilt.

You ever heard of the University of Tennessee? There likely are far more Vol grads in Nashville than Commodores and the UT subway alumni in those parts is huge.

Vanderbilt will be gone if they can be replaced with a better product. Perhaps to the remnants of the ACC.

They’re not kicking out Vandy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1163 on: July 03, 2022, 04:57:18 PM »
Rutgers and Maryland were all about getting the BTN on cable systems in New York and Washington. It was a very smart move by the B10.

Not just that. It got the BTN on to basic packages in NYC and increased the per subscriber pay out. One report I read a few days ago is the per subscriber fee for BTN in LA went from 10 cents to $1.50 upon the news of USC and UCLA joining. That’s what it’s all about.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #1164 on: July 03, 2022, 07:05:40 PM »
Why isn't Baylor more coveted during conference realignment?

Their football has had flashes of brilliance often undermined by scandal. Seems to fit In SEC just right to me.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1165 on: July 03, 2022, 07:36:25 PM »
Why isn't Baylor more coveted during conference realignment?
Their football has had flashes of brilliance often undermined by scandal. Seems to fit In SEC just right to me.

1. Private: SEC grandfathered Vanderbilt but are not seeking private schools.
2. Size: Just 15,000--only Vandy is smaller.
3. Media market: Waco is just #87 nationally.
4. Alumni base: Predominates in central Texas, few in other SEC markets
5. Facilities: McLane Stadium seats just 45,000, its new basketball arena just 7,000.
6. SEC already has Texas & Texas A&M.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1166 on: July 03, 2022, 08:39:51 PM »
5. Facilities: McLane Stadium seats just 45,000, its new basketball arena just 7,000.
The worst decision ever regarding conference affiliation was Tulane (1966)and Georgia Tech (1964)voluntarily leaving the SEC

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2021/09/16/why-tulane-football-leave-sec-ole-miss-green-wave/8347963002/#:~:text=The%20headline%20in%20the%20Jan,Tulane%20left%20for%20conference%20independence.

https://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/bobby-pope/article30145833.html

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: July 04, 2022, 06:37:58 AM »
The worst decision ever regarding conference affiliation was Tulane (1966)and Georgia Tech (1964)voluntarily leaving the SEC

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2021/09/16/why-tulane-football-leave-sec-ole-miss-green-wave/8347963002/#:~:text=The%20headline%20in%20the%20Jan,Tulane%20left%20for%20conference%20independence.

https://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/bobby-pope/article30145833.html

I would say Holy Cross, a former national champion, vetoing a move to the new formed Big East in 1980, was the biggest faux pas.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: July 04, 2022, 10:37:04 AM »

Not to mention the Starr/Briles scandals in the 2010s and Bliss scandal in 2000s.  No university president wants to be associated with a school with repeated scandals like that.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: July 04, 2022, 11:14:04 AM »
The fact that the University denies the existence of dinosaurs is also problematic.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: July 04, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »
The fact that the University denies the existence of dinosaurs is also problematic.
What?? Okay, I'm personally no fan of Baylor (Baylor and Michigan State are the two schools I would not let my daughters go to), but a quick Google search shows that Baylor currently has a dinosaur exhibit at their museum. 

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1171 on: July 04, 2022, 12:30:59 PM »
The most important statistic to consider about Baylor is the number of oil millionaire grads. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: July 04, 2022, 03:21:37 PM »
I can see a scenario whereby the Big East schools are left out holding their johnsons, aina?

As I've mentioned before, this is what I see happening.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1173 on: July 04, 2022, 06:26:29 PM »
As I've mentioned before, this is what I see happening.

Would be a shame.  Basketball would be as popular as MU football, wrestling and hockey if that happens. 

feedback